Video Game: Mystery Case Files
You be the detective.
Mystery Case Files is a series of Casual Video Games
from Big Fish Studios. Despite its title and slogan, no actual sleuthing occurs; it's actually a Hidden Object Game
, a genre which became popular with this series.
There are currently fourteen games in the series. Eleven of them are for home computer (Huntsville
, Prime Suspects
, Madame Fate
, Return To Ravenhearst
, Dire Grove
, 13th Skull
, Escape From Ravenhearst
, Shadow Lake
, Fate's Carnival
and Dire Grove, Sacred Grove
) and can be downloaded at the "Official Fan Site
" (isn't that an oxymoron?) or the Big Fish Games site
is a DS release, Agent X
is for mobile phones, and The Malgrave Incident
is a Wii
Big Fish has also announced a free-to-play spinoff game, Spirits of Blackpool
. The initial release is for iOS, but there are rumors of an Android (and eventual home computer) version.
The Ravenhearst story arc
subseries is arguably the most famous line of titles to come from the Big Fish developers. Although not all of the plots in the arc are directly related to the events at Ravenhearst Manor, you play the same Master Detective in all of them and there is a tangential connection in each one.
- In the original Ravenhearst, you are requested by the Queen of England to investigate the history of Ravenhearst Manor, situated in Blackpool. You must assemble the pages of a young woman's lost diary to find out about the terrible things which happened there.
- In Madame Fate, the title character summons you to her carnival because she has had a vision of her own death, and she wants you to figure out who her murderer will be and stop them.
- In Return to Ravenhearst, you return to the ruined manor when you realize that although you solved the mystery connected to Emma's diary, the house was the site of several other grisly events that need to be brought to light.
- In Dire Grove, you leave the Ravenhearst incidents behind you and travel to a community built on top of an ancient Celtic settlement, where four graduate students have gone missing in an unseasonal blizzard.
- In 13th Skull, you're asked to leave your native England and travel to the United States to aid a woman whose husband is missing, and whose young daughter insists he was abducted by a ghost.
- In Escape From Ravenhearst, you must return to the remains of the manor one more time, to find out why people have been disappearing in the area.
- In Shadow Lake, you investigate the haunted ruins of a small New England town that was destroyed by an earthquake, aided by a psychic and her spirit-guided drawings.
- In Fate's Carnival, you return to Fate's Carnival and put a stop on its curse once and for all.
- In Dire Grove, Sacred Grove, you return to Dire Grove after receiving a request from the town to help solve the problem of wild animals attacks and unusually severe coldness plaguing the town.
These games provide examples of: