open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Laurence Olivier's character in Sleuth had one of these.
- The Avengers (1998). Steed and Mrs. Peel encounter one of these on Sir August's estate. While traveling through it Steed is attacked by Sir August and Mrs. Peel falls down a hole and is captured.
Mrs. Peel: Ah, yes, it's clear now. A love maze in a trapezoid shape. [snip] Originally late 17th century design, then copied.
- In The Shining, the Overlook Hotel has a big one. Just the place for a scary chase scene.
- In Labyrinth starring David Bowie, part of the titular maze is made of hedges.
- A hedge maze shows up in the Queen of Hearts' garden in Alice in Wonderland.
- J. J. Connington's 1927 Murder in the Maze features two corpses, one in each of the two centers of the hedge maze. In life they were successful-yet-hated twin brothers.
- Katherine Kurtz is partial to using these:
- In Deryni Rising, just after Alaric Morgan's arrival from Cardosa, Kelson arranges for his meeting with Morgan to take place in a summerhouse outside a boxwood maze. Nigel conducts him there, and during their conversation: "Morgan suddenly realized it was almost symbolic of the dilemma he now faced: convoluted, enigmatic, with new and unforeseen difficulties around every turn. Except that there was a way out of the boxwood maze."
- In Lammas Night, a hedge maze is part of the coven's outdoor ritual area. Some gates are moved when the area is being used for magical purposes, and walking the maze in the new configuration helps to prepare the coven.
- Sarah J. Mason introduced her Stone and Trewly series in 1993's Murder in the Maze. The body of a doctor's young wife is found in a hedge maze during a village fete.
- Karen Harper has a young queen Elizabeth I as lead sleuth in a series, including the fifth installment, The Thorne Maze (2003).
- Catherine Aird's 2009 book Amendment of Life has a gardener find a body in the yew maze he's working in, observed by his employer from an upstairs window of the main house.
- Emma Porter meets the Pym sisters in a hedge maze early in Aunt Dimity and the Duke, where they question her thoroughly about gardening. At the end of their chat, they send her to find the Duke of Penford's estate, and she finds herself drafted to restore the twelfth duchess' garden. she also finds her personal life resolved there as well.
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, one of these serves as the location of the final challenge in the Triwizard Tournament. In the movie, it's downright a Living Structure Monster, removing the beasts that inhabited the maze in the book.
- In the Time Wars novel The Pimpernel Plot, a clandestine meeting takes place at the centre of a hedge maze in the grounds of an English country house.
- In A College Of Magics, the villain's country house has a hedge maze that was designed and built by a wizard, and can be used as a trap where a person who goes in can't find their way out until the maze's owner lets them.
- In The Obernewtyn Chronicles a hedge maze forms the main route between the main house and the farms. It is made of greenthorn, the scent of which inhibits the Misfits' Talents.
Live Action TV
- In an episode of CSI: NY, the investigators find a college kid dead in one. It was the site of a banishment ceremony for a kid who wanted out of a secret group called Kings And Shadows. Another kid seized on it and killed the kid to cover something else up.
- Trigger Happy TV once pulled off a gag involving a hedge maze, some costumes designed to look like hedge walls, and an increasingly confused tourist. Watch!
- The Hedge of Changeling: The Lost is this trope's angry, abusive big brother.
- The Peach's Garden track in Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii features a bit of a hedge maze.
- In Paper Mario, Mario has to navigate a hedge maze in Flower Fields to find Rosie so he can trade her a Crystal Berry for a Water Stone needed to save a dying flower named Lily.
- Banjo-Kazooie features a hedge maze in the Mad Monster Mansion level. It is a lot easier to figure out how to get through it once you realize that you can actually hop on top of the hedges themselves.
- The Interactive Fiction game Curses opens in a Big Fancy House, the grounds of which incorporate a hedge maze. One puzzle involves reaching a location that's completely surrounded by hedges.
- Super Mario Galaxy had one planet covered entirely by hedge mazes in which you have to chase rabbits there to obtain the Power Star.
- Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf has one. It's filled with ghosts.
- In Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, there's one in the Wonderland area, and you once have to chase a Heartless through the maze.
- In Castlevania 64, you see one relatively early on, and are pursued by a chainsaw-wielding Frankenstein's Monster and two stone dogs.
- One appears in Resident Evil 4, and you must find the items you need to advance while dealing with the enemies in it.
- The Sims 2 lets you build your own with block-shaped hedges. This predates Minecraft by the way.
- Lanky Kong has to navigate one located in a greenhouse in the Creepy Castle area of Donkey Kong 64 to get a few normal bananas, one of his Golden Bananas, and, once that's done, spawn an Arena Pad.
- In Pokémon X and Y the Parfum Palace has four of these in its back garden. One of them hides the HM01 while you and Shauna have to chase and catch a Furfrou through another to get the Poké Flute.
- In Alice: Madness Returns, there is a hedge maze in Queensland... although the part you navigate isn't difficult, and once she's had a bite of cake (and eliminated a previously invincible minion responsible for many an Escape Sequence), you just sort of... step through it.
- In Yandere Simulator, Akademi High School has a hedge maze located on the western side of the school. The player can find manga here. In the future, the player will be able to eavesdrop on students having private conversations there that contain important information.
- In Chowder, an old apprentice of Mung Daal's tries to get even with him by taking Chowder to his "Deathly Maze", where he would get lost forever. Unfortunately, the plan fails because he gets lost in his own maze as well.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic the very first episode of Season 2 is a hedge maze where Discord supposedly hid the Elements of Harmony.
- One of No Heart's schemes in an episode of Care Bears involved leading the bears into a hedge maze that he had augmented with thorns.
- Ben 10: Charmcaster's debut episode had one.
- In a nod to The Shining example above, The Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror" parody had Bart cheating by using a chainsaw.
- Homer gets lost in one of these in "Stop or My Dog Will Shoot".
- An episode of The Critic has Duke with his own hedge maze where both Pope John Paul II and Don King are lost in it and conversing on ways to get out of it.