Video Game: The Witness
The Witness is a 2014 multi-platform video game by Jonathan Blow, creator of Braid.The game has you control an unnamed, unseen Player Character stranded on an island filled with beautiful vegetation and buildings but completely devoid of human life. Scattered across the island are audio recordings offering the esoteric backstory of this place and numerous puzzles that must be solved in order to progress further into various sections of the world.The player must ultimately activate seven of ten total beacons in order to gain access to the island's mountain and discover just what this place is and what happened here.
Tropes featured in The Witness include:
- Beautiful Void
- Genre Throwback: Blow made this to be like an old Adventure Game with all the bad bits taken out.
- Homage/Spiritual Successor: To Myst and first-person 3D adventure games in general. Much of the imagery also brings to mind many classic Surrealist paintings.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot
- Patchwork Map: There are an awful lot of different biomes close together on such a small island.
- Scenery Porn
- Video Game Settings:
- Bubblegloop Swamp: Found in the easternmost part of the island.
- Death Mountain: In the southeast, and which you ultimately must scale.
- The Lost Woods: Makes up the greater portion of the island.
- Jungle Japes: Found in the southeast at the foot of the mountain.
- Shifting Sand Land: The northwest portion of the island.