It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
"No one gets in, no one gets out."
A location is isolated by means of locking every door/window/refrigerator/air vent
/other entrance in the area so that no one can get in or out of the building. For the medical cases surrounding this, it is a quarantine. Armed guards may also be posted, depending on whether or not the military is involved.
When this begins, the odds are
99% someone will attempt a Indy Hat Roll
Also see: Trapped in Containment
. Quite likely to result in Failsafe Failure
or Didn't See That Coming
if the plot demands whatever is in lockdown escapes. Has nothing to do with
a certain Cybertronian bounty hunter
. Often the preface for a Bottle Episode
Anime & Manga
- Mahou Sensei Negima! has a set of Lockdown doors in LibraryIsland, which Yue triggers upon having a Heroic BSOD when she discovers herself in a Love Triangle involving her best friend and her teacher.
- An early episode of Keroro Gunsou features the Hinata house going into Lockdown...because Keroro has a cavity. A cavity caused by tiny aliens, but still...
- In Irresponsible Captain Tylor, after Tylor is kidnapped the command takes the opportunity to put the whole crew in quarantine because (they claim) of the alien virus the crew were infected with to force him to surrender.
- NERV goes into lockdown in End of Evangelion. It...doesn't work.
- Even in Rebuild , where the UN and NERV bases get extra funding, Angels still blast through blast doors like a torch to wax paper. Anything built by the hand of man slows Angels down at best.
- A New Hope:
- "Close the blast doors!"
- "Open the blast doors, open the blast doors!"
- During the film Men In Black II, the MIB HQ goes into Code 101 Lockdown.
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine when Wolverine is escaping the Weapon X facility.
- Total Recall (1990) (1990). Happens twice. Once when Quaid arrives on Mars and later when Cohaagen locks down a sector which has disobeyed him:
Technician: Sir, the oxygen level is bottoming out in Sector G. What do you want me to do about it?
Vilos Cohaagen: [as if obvious] Don't do anything.
Technician: But they won't last an hour, sir.
Vilos Cohaagen: Fuck 'em. It'll be a good lesson to the others.
- Warning Sign has a full quarantine lockdown in the Biotek facility. And apparently their employees are idiots, because they stare at the closing shutters and alarms in confusion, and then complain to the security guard that they are frightened of being locked in.
- Averted in The Bourne Supremacy.
Landry: Have you locked down the area? (Bourne has just escaped)
CIA Mook: This is Italy, they don't do lockdown.
- Done in the Agent Pendergast novel The Relic, with disastrous results.
- Blind Lake begins with the entirety of the titular town being put under lockdown for an unknown reason.
- Happens for months to the city of Oran in The Plague, due to bubonic plague. The novel explores the psychological effects on the people within, who become pretty much depressed and gloomy.
- City Of The Gods, a part of Dungeons & Dragons Blackmoor series, locks down the corridors if the PCs set off the alarm and appear to either be escaping or have remained in full alert for too long.
- In the U.S., due to the rash of school shootings most schools have a lockdown procedure that goes into effect if there's any report of a violent criminal or crime in (or even near) the school. All teachers are told to lock their doors until they get the all clear.
- US government buildings usually have Lockdown procedures as well, in case of workplace violence or terrorism.
- NORAD in Cheyenne Mountain has a lockdown procedure to isolate itself from the world, including sealing a huge blast door.
- Zoos have Lockdown protocols to isolate dangerous and volatile animals from contact with humans or one another, either during routine transfers between exhibits or in the event of an escape.
- The vaults in Fallout.
- After their defeat at Helios One and Elder Elijah's desertion, the Mojave chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel put themselves under lockdown, also preventing any members left outside from returning.
- In Dead Money's backstory, the nuclear war triggered the Sierra Madre Casino's lockdown systems, trapping the Gala Event guests inside. At the end of the DLC, reading Sinclair's message on the vault's terminal causes the vault to permanently seal, resulting in a Non-Standard Game Over. The Courier can also lure Elijah into this trap.
- In Sonic Adventure 2, the titular prison of Prison Island is locked down when Tails gets there. Also, the facility that Dr. Eggman breaks into to retrieve the secret weapon goes into lockdown. This time, you see a number of doors closing and hear a voice telling people to close them. (In both cases, the doors that don't succumb to you blowing off the locks open anyway just because you destroyed some G.U.N. robots.)
- Mitadake High begins with you in a locked-down school with the killer.
- Devil Survivor takes place in the "Tokyo Lockdown", things get complicated and bad very quickly.
- Periodically in Dead Space, the room Isaac is in goes into "quarantine" lockdown. The lockdown ends when he successfully defeats the Necromorphs that find their way in.
- Prison Architect allows the player to do this with a button that sets all doors in the prison to the "Locked in closed" position, so as to limit the potential damage an ensuing Prison Riot is causing.
- A few times in the original Deus Ex, usually at UNATCO HQ. As early as the very first mission, where "base is under lockdown until the danger's gone, Agent Denton", and later when JC is captured by MJ 12 and has to escape out of UNATCO. Getting the key for the front door from Alex Jacobsen is the only way out.
- "Mix Up at the Snack Factory".
"Mr. Cheezo, the workers aren't gonna make it out alive."
"Well, I guess we'll have to hire new workers, won't we?"
- Happens in episode 5 of Sex House when the contestants attempt to rise up against the host, although how much it was actually needed is debatable, considering the house is locked down all the time anyway.