"You know what they say: 'Veronica Mars: she's a marshmallow.'"
Veronica Mars had it all - her dad was sheriff, her parents were in love, she had a loving boyfriend, fabulous best friend, and lived the fairytale life. Then it all fell apart with her boyfriend dumping her, best friend's murder, her father accusing a town hero of the crime and losing his job, Veronica being ostracized, her mother leaving, and Veronica being drugged and raped at an 09er party. Who knows what really happened? Well, she will. Soon.
- Action Girl: While she's not as handy in a fight as most of the other characters, she can definitely hold her own. Helps that she has a taser.
- All Girls Like Ponies: As part of a Running Gag, she insists that Keith buy her a pony.
- All of the Other Reindeer
- Alone with the Psycho: With Aaron Echolls in the season one finale, Beaver/Cassidy in the Season 2 Finale and with Mercer and Moe in the conclusion of the first season 3 storyline.
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie for Duncan's Betty and Logan's Veronica.
- Later The Archie to Piz's Betty and Logan's Veronica.
- Born Detective
- Broken Bird
- Brother-Sister Incest: Zig Zagged Trope. She learns that she and ex-boyfriend Duncan might have the same biological father. Cue Vomit Discretion Shot. She later learns that this is not the case.
- The Cassandra
- Character Title
- The Chessmaster
- Consummate Liar
- Cool Loser
- Daddy's Girl
- Damsel in Distress: Not often, but occassionally she gets in over her head and needs saving, particularly during finales/resolutions. However, she doesn't much care for it, and each time she's a little less helpless, culminating in the Heart Rape resolution, where despite being drugged, she manages to fight off the rapists.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Expository Hairstyle Change: In flashbacks.
- Fallen Princess
- First-Person Smartass
- Full-Name Basis: More than any other character
- Good Is Not Nice: So much so she can border on being a Designated Hero at times.
- Guile Hero
- The Hero
- Hero with Bad Publicity
- High School Hustler
- Lovable Rogue
- Meaningful Name: 'Veronica' means "true image", thus tying into her seeking the full picture
- Missing Mom
- Petite Pride
- Platonic Life Partners: With Wallace.
- Plucky Girl
- Rape as Backstory
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Lilly's red (in flashbacks).
- Sesquipedalian Smith
- The Snark Knight
- Stepford Snarker: Veronica much prefers to snark than show her feelings, though it isn't the only reason she snarks.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Arguably, in season 3.
"Who's your daddy?"
1x01 Pilot/1x22 Leave It To Beaver
The former sheriff and Veronica's father, who lost his job and the town's respect after accusing Jake Kane, the most loved man in Neptune, of murdering his daughter Lilly. While the Lilly Kane murder case is officially closed, Keith, like Veronica, is dedicated to finding out the truth... and protecting his own daughter.
Veronica: Can you do me a weird favor without asking any questions?
Is that not the bedrock upon which our friendship was founded?
1x16 Betty and Veronica
Veronica's living best friend, the new kid who she cut down from the flagpole after he was duct taped there by the PCHers. He's steadfastly loyal, and always doing Veronica favours.
One day, he just dumped me, with no warning...
Veronica's aloof ex-boyfriend, Logan's best friend, and Lilly's brother. Stays distant from Veronica, yet is more civil to her than most 09ers. It is clearly shown he's hiding things from everyone... but what?
Every school has an obligatory psychotic jackass. He's ours.
Lilly's boyfriend when she died, Duncan's best friend, and ringleader of the "Treat Veronica Like Crap" brigade, whom he blames for Lilly's death. Suffers under the thumb of his famous, abusive father, gains respect and love for Veronica over the course of the series.
- Abusive Parents
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Betty and Veronica: The, ahem, Veronica to Duncan (and later Piz)'s Betty for Veronica's Archie.
- Big Damn Heroes: Don't mess with his V.
- Break the Haughty
- The Bully
- The Charmer
- The Casanova
- Clear My Name
- Deadpan Snarker: Probably more than Veronica.
- Et Tu, Veronica?: Hearing that Veronica had caught him cheating by telling Lilly about his affair (true) and assuming that she was the one who murdered Lilly (not true) leads to him kicking Veronica out of his teen crowd.
- Freudian Excuse: He's not exactly a villain, but the trope fits.
- Heel-Face Turn: Gradually, over the course of season 1.
- Jerk Jock: He isn't actually dumb, which season 3 attests to, but otherwise fits pretty well.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lovable Rogue
- Love Interest
- Mr. Fanservice
- Only Friend: By season three, he and Dick are this for each other. Because no one else wants to hang out at Casa de Killer.
- Parental Abandonment
- Really Gets Around
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Duncan's blue.
- Troubled, but Cute
- The Unfavourite
- Upper-Class Wit
Eli "Weevil" Navarro
Weevil: So, who owes who now?
I'm not quite sure.
3x19 Weevils Wobble But They Don't Fall Down
The leader of the PCH bike club, starts off as an antagonist (duct-taping Wallace to a flagpole), but quickly becomes close with Veronica. More affected by the Lilly Kane murder case than he lets on.
Sheriff Don Lamb
"Why don't you go see the Wizard? Ask him for a little backbone."
Keith Mars' incompetent, cruel successor, famous for "catching" Lilly Kane's murderer. Quickly won Veronica's anger and distrust, given how he laughed her off when she tried to report her rape. He spends most of the series acting like a slimy bastard, and getting in the way of Keith and Veronica's investigations.
Cindy "Mac" Mackenzie
"Crime pays. Technologically assisted mystery-solving? Costs."
2x08 Ahoy, Mateys!
Veronica's quirky, highly-skilled hacker friend, who she met trying to find out who posted false results on an internet "Purity Test" - a test Mac herself had designed. She has tendencies toward being slightly amoral, but cutely so.
Logan: You're not real complicated, are you Dick?
Try not to be.
2x11 Donut Run
One of Logan's rich "friends", Dick's life revolves around sex, alcohol, food and surfing, likely in that order. And he is stupid. Very. Stupid.
Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas
2x22 Not Pictured
Dick's quiet, nervous, secretive younger brother, domineered by his brother and neglected by his father - but what else is he hiding?
- Abusive Parents
- Alliterative Name
- All of the Other Reindeer
- Ambiguously Gay
- Ax-Crazy: Somewhat.
- Badass Bookworm
- Big Bad: In Season 2.
- The Chessmaster
- Cute and Psycho
- Driven to Suicide
- Embarrassing Nickname
- Evil All Along
- Evil Counterpart: To Veronica, arguably (they were both raped and went through a lot of shit, but unlike him, she didn't take it out on other people.) also, arguably, in intelligence. Cassidy is one of the few other characters to really outsmart Veronica. It's shown several times in "Cheatty Cheatty Bang Bang" when he hires her to tail Kendall, Cassidy takes one look at the photos she brings him and notices that the bags have switched and declares that it's not enough to prove she's cheating - then later, beats her in the fake stocks competition - minor things but good clues to later events.
- Freudian Excuse
- Insistent Terminology: He hates being called "Beaver', understandably.
- Lone Dalek
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Puppy-Dog Eyes
- Rape as Backstory
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Dick's red.
- The Sociopath
- The Unfavorite
- Walking Spoiler
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Stosh "Piz" Piznarski
"I think that's half of life, just knowing the difference."
3x10 Show Me The Monkey
Wallace's new roommate at Hearst, deeply into music, and has a blatant crush on Veronica - which she takes forever to notice.
"Oh my god! Are you one of Mac's friends? Well come on in, sister! Mac's friends are my friends!"
3x01 Welcome Wagon
Mac's beaming bubbly blonde roommate, whose perk quickly turns to fury after being drugged and raped
in the season premiere.
"That was pretty fatherly. Almost like you've been saying my name in exasperation for years."
2x02 Driver Ed
Wallace's Rich Bitch
love interest, daughter of famous baseball star Terrence Cook. When her father is accused of the bus crash, she grows ostracized, yet she and her father grow closer... for a time.
"You have friends, Veronica."
1x08 Like A Virgin
An 09er girl who actually remained friendly to her after the Lilly Kane case, and needs her help occasionally. Meg's kindness earns Veronica's hard-to-win trust, to the extent Veronica would believe cartoon birds braided Meg's hair.
Logan: You ever think about just getting a job?
This is my job.
2x07 Nobody Puts Baby In A Corner
Dick and Beaver's gold-digging stepmother, who spends time by seducing teenage boys such as Logan. She's smarter than she lets on though, and has mysterious ties to the "Fighting Fitzpatricks" - this girl's got a massive secret identity.
Aaron: We told your mom that we were all gonna get dressed up in costume as our favourite animal. You remember her animal?
Logan: Yeah, it was a mermaid.
Aaron: When she realized we played a trick on her, no one else had gotten dressed upů [fondly] she wore that costume around for the rest of the day anyway.
Yeah, I remember that day. On the way home I spilled a milkshake in the Beamer and you gave me a nosebleed.
1x13 Lord of The Bling
Logan's father, a famous actor, with an image as a wonderful family man - hiding the man who beats his son and cheats on his wife. Shows love for his family, but his extreme violence and cruelty overpowers it.
"The play is my master and I am its whore
2x09 My Mother The Fiend
daughter, an emotionally void aspiring actress with a serious case of Daddy-worship, who's main goal is to further her career without actually working.
Vinnie Van Lowe
Know what's most disturbing about you? Apart from... everything? You're actually a half-decent Private Investigator.
2x15 The Quick and the Wed
Keith's rival PI, rather corrupt and inferior to both Veronica and Keith in detective skills, yet can be crafty and dangerous when needed.
"My soul is doomed to walk the Earth until justice has been served... and as kind of a side project, I dispense fashion advice."
1x06 Return Of The Kane
Veronica's dead best friend, whose murder starts the circumstances that start the show. Despite being dead, she often appears from Veronica's subconscious to offer advice on her murder.
Vice-Principal, later Principal, of Neptune High.
- Batman Gambit: Pulls a rather awesome one of these in "My Mother, the Fiend".
You read Machiavelli
this summer, didn't you?
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Though he does have to deal with Veronica more than he would like, most of the time he is portrayed as this.