I'm just a prom night dumpster baby,
I got no mom or dad.
Prom night dumpster baby -
My story isn't long, but boy, it's awfully sad...
Often when a fictional work features a pregnant teenage girl
, she'll go into labor at the prom. Most likely because she got knocked up around homecoming. May overlap with My Secret Pregnancy
or a Surprise Pregnancy
- MAD once featured a series of fake magazine covers, including one called "Prom Mom" with articles like "Drinking the spiked punch: What the hell, it's not like anyone expects good judgment from you at this point!"
- In Saved!, an extremely chaotic prom is capped off by Mary going into labour.
- The '80s film, For Keeps, featured Molly Ringwald going into labor at the prom.
- Cabin Fever 2 has a gruesome version where one of the promgoers has an extremely messy childbirth in one of the public restrooms, after contracting a flesh-eating virus.
- The novel Someone Like You. Half the school comes and waits in the waiting room.
- The Cold Case episode "Family". The mom gave birth in the restroom during the graduation party and the baby's father was killed by the school principal when he refused to give their baby up for adoption.
- In one episode of Veronica Mars, Trina Echolls is revealed to be the "prom baby" abandoned in the bathroom 25 years ago, in an elaborate gambit by Clemmons to oust the principal (the babydaddy) and take his job.
- Michael remarks in one episode of My Wife and Kids that his wife, Jay, missed her prom because she was giving birth to their first-born, Junior, that night.
- The Law & Order episode "Denial" played with this trope. The parents were college students, and the baby was actually born in a hotel, but shortly afterward, the parents attended a college dance as if nothing had happened.
- In season one of Reba, Cheyenne goes into labor on her graduation day, but ignores the pains right up until she has to walk across the stage to get her diploma.
- Raising Hope has Jimmy, who is now grown but was born that way.
- On My Name Is Earl, Earl was jealous of his babysitter, and poked holes in her boyfriend's condom, which (of course) resulted in her getting pregnant. She had a Shotgun Wedding with her boyfriend, and gave birth during the reception, still in her wedding dress.
- "Prom Nightmare", courtesy of TIME Magazine.
- On a related, but more innocuous, note: a persistent rumor states that Winston Churchill was born in a cloakroom during a dance.
He was not in fact born during the dance, but his mother went into (possibly premature) labour during it and he was born 24 hours later. She was carried from the dancefloor into a downstairs room, unable to get back to her bedroom. It was not a 'ladies room', nor a 'bathroom', but a regular reception room that just happened to be covered in cloaks and other articles at the time.
When somebody asked Churchill if the story was true, he replied, "Although I was present at the occasion, I have no recollection of the events leading up to it."
- Although it didn't happen during a dance, this nonetheless happened at a university hostel in New Zealand in 2006.
- There was a case of this happening in 1997, where the mother, Melissa Drexler (dubbed the "Prom Mom"), gave birth in the women's bathroom and dumped the baby into the trash and then went back to dancing.