Morbius: There's no worse than what I already am, Martine. This could be my last shot at a cure.
Bancroft: And have you thought about what it could cost?
Morbius is a 2022 Science Fiction Superhero Horror movie directed by Daniel Espinosa (Life) and the third installment of Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters after Venom and Venom: Let There Be Carnage. It is based on the eponymous comic book character and stars Jared Leto in the title role, as well as Adria Arjona, Jared Harris, Matt Smith and Michael Keaton.
Ever since he was a child, medical prodigy Michael Morbius has suffered from a rare and incurable blood disease and has long been his life's goal (and obsession) to save others from sharing his fate. At the brink of desperation, he searches for a cure that goes beyond the realm of traditional science... One that proves successful beyond his wildest imagination.
But what looked like a miracle soon becomes a nightmare as Morbius comes to realize his cure has a terrible price. As he desperately fights back against the horrid thirst for blood the resulting mutation brings, Michael will learn the hard way that sometimes the remedy can be so much worse than the disease...
The film is set for theatrical release on January 21, 2022.
Morbius contains examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Michael Morbius.
- Game Face: The trailer shows a glimpse of Morbius' vampire form from the comics, with grey skin, red eyes, and a flattened nose.
- Horror Hunger: The trailer shows that along with curing his disease, Michael becomes even stronger than he's ever been along with a number of abilities... all of which comes at the cost of a monstrous, insatiable thirst for blood.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Morbius (played by Jared Leto) is a rather good-looking man with long hair down to his shoulders. This is in contrast to his comic book counterpart whose unattractiveness was part of his backstory.
- Mind over Matter: The trailer shows Morbius summoning an apple to his hand in a burst of blood-colored smoke.
- Mook Horror Show: In the trailer, a group of unlucky thugs think they're hunting Michael through what appears to be an abandoned oil tanker. Michael is all too happy to correct them.
- Mythology Gag: A mural of Spider-Man in the first trailer uses the costume design from the Spider-Man Trilogy, though it's also a direct screenshot from Spider-Man (PS4).
- Shout-Out: Near the end of the first trailer, as Mobius is walking through the street, Michael Keaton says to him "What's up, doc?"
- Time-Shifted Actor: The trailer shows Michael's childhood where he is played by a child actor.
- Was Once a Man: The trailer specifies that Michael Morbius was a man suffering from a rare blood disease and his transformation into a vampire is the result of him attempting to find a cure by any means necessary.
Morbius' mentor: Until the remedy is worse than the disease.