open/close all folders
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (aka the RAID Gang)
- Badass Crew: These few guys take on entire armies of Nazi and Wermacht troops, and come out on top each time.
- Boxed Crook: Each member of the gang had been a POW of the Germans and also had some kind of jail time or disgrace awaiting in their home countries. The Ministry uses this as some leverage to have them attack the Nazis.
- Code Name: As befitting an "off the books" agency such as this.
- Control - the head of the agency and reports to/takes direct orders from Winston Churchill.
- Mrs. White - the handler of the field agents, relaying orders to them and authorizing operations.
- Broadsword: - the four field agents: Sterling, Kurgan, Rivet, and Wolfgang.
- Saber Squadron - the pilot(s) who fly air support for the agency's missions.
- Seeadler - the sailor of their amphibious assault craft.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: The RAID Gang will steal any valuables not bolted to the floor, then you can bet your ass they will return with bolt cutters to steal was is bolted down, the bolts, and the floor as well.
- Nominal Hero: The 4 "agents" of the Ministry are some of the worlds most loathsome psychopaths. They aren't fighting for some greater ideal or national loyality. They are in the fight because it allows them to steal and murder as much as they please, all the while having the backing of the Allied nations.
- One-Man Army: The promotional comic shows that each member of the gang earned their selection by singlehandedly wiping out a group of Nazis.
- Only in It for the Money: Played with. While all 4 members are greedy and take any opportunity to steal, all 4 are also former POWs and take a distinct joy in killing Nazis and destabilising the Reich.
- Refuge in Audacity: They set up their base of operations under a bombed out church in Berlin itself. Because who would think to look for them in the very core of enemy territory?
An incredibly polite former British commando and minor noble with an unspecified string of crimes including theft and something that earnt him the death penalty. Sterling was captured when the Nazis found him tied up naked in Copenhagen, implicitly in S&M gone wrong. Sterling's default character class is Recon.
- Battle Discretion Shot: After he kicks in the door to a small Nazi outpost, it cuts to the outside of the shack (with the sounds of intense violence on the inside) before cutting back to him having brutally murdered all the troops inside and is using their bodies as furniture (he broke all of the chairs during the fight).
- Colonel Badass: Played with. Some lore in Payday 2 notes that his red beret is a colonel's hat, but explains that he knocked out a colonel and stole it to impress women. Somewhat played straight in that he is the RAID Gang's field commander, and he is very badass.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: He maybe joking and fairly jovial, but he maintains such an attitude while still slaughtering his fellow man rather brutally (then desecrating their corpses) even if they are Nazis. Also he did "something" that earned him the death penalty.
- Friendly Sniper: Uses sniper rifles in his default Recon class, cheerfully quipping as he shoots down Nazi troops.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Came to the ministry's attention after wiping out a house full of Nazis in Norway with nothing but his glasses left.
- It Amused Me: Unlike the others who are clearly motivated by greed, revenge, and/or a love of killing, Sterling has no clear motivation for joining the RAID gang. The comics show that he seems to enjoy crazy adventures just for the fun of them (the loot and helping the war effort are just nice bonuses).
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Sterling's love of sex and being handcuffed left to both his naked commando mission (and subsequent Nazi slaughter) and eventual capture.
- Refuge in Audacity: He looks to be no stranger to it, as he used kicking in the door to a Nazi outpost, in the middle of nowhere, in the cold, while completely naked and unarmed, to his advantage to catch the Nazis off guard and kill them.
- Stiff Upper Lip: Sterling, of course. He's a Briton from the era of "Keep Calm and Carry On", after all.
Kurgan is a convicted murderer, pressed into service in the Soviet Army as part of a penal unit. His unit was betrayed by their commander and burned alive. Unfortunately for the traitor, Kurgan survived, and tracked him down. Kurgan was recruited to the RAID gang, and his murderous tendencies once again turned upon the Nazis. Unlike the other members who are mostly driven by greed, Kurgan just has 1 objective: kill Nazis until there are no Nazis left to kill. Kurgan's default character class is Insurgent
- Barehanded Blade Block: Saves Wolfgang's life by catching a knife thrown at him by a surviving guard during the cinematic trailer.
- Boxed Crook: A double case, as before being recruited to the RAID gang, he had been freed from Russian prison to fight in a penal batallion.
- Determinator: Survived being burned alive by flamethrowers, got back up, geared up, tracked his commander down, went on a killing spree that lasted a full day and night against the commander's new troops, before finally killing the traitor himself. Only then did he sit down to take a break.
- Facial Horror: His head and neck are covered in burned scars after he was torched by a Flamenwerfer.
- Gas Mask Mooks: Anti-Heroic version. Wears a gas mask 24/7, apparently to cover his horribly scarred face.
- Husky Russkie
- Knife Nut: Kills a Wermacht trying to ambush him by stabbing him in the neck. Presumably did the same to the guard outside the vault in the cinematic trailer.
- Kubrick Stare: Has one in the comic after donning his gas mask.
- More Dakka: Carries an STG 44 in the cinematic trailer, and a MG42 in the game's splash screen.
- One-Man Army: Took on an entire unit, who were entrenched in a fortified bunker, by himself, and won. This included fighting all day, then all night by the light of a pile of bodies he set on fire to help illuminate his slaughter.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Goes on one after his commander betrayed him and his unit. he tracked the traitor down, killed everyone protecting him, before firmly planting his entrenching tool into the traitor's forehead.
- Sociopathic Soldier: Psychopathic type. He is only in the war to kill a lot of people. Unfortunately for the Nazis, his commander's betrayal has permanently set his sights on them.
- The Faceless: Played with. His face is never shown in game but the comic shows that he was a crewcut blonde before his burns.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: His body language hints at this when working with Wolfgang, presumably spawning from his absolute LOATHING for Nazis, while Wolfgang was once a Nazi himself. Doesn't stop him from saving Wolfgang's life tho.
- Unstoppable Rage: His traitorous commander and the troops defending him were on the receiving end of this after Kurgan found them.
A former American gangster. The man known as "Rivet" joined the Navy Seabees, then the Free French, before being recruited to the Raid Gang. Make no mistake, while he is fighting against the Nazis, Rivet is just in the war to further his own goals (mostly stealing and smuggling goods). Rivet's default character class is Assault.
- Americans Are Cowboys: Despite apparently coming from a city and lacking a southern or western accent, a cowboy inspired vest is a clothing piece available to him. He also wears a Outlaw like bandanna mask over his face for most of the intro FMV.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: The Free French had him arrested for: fighting, gambling, stealing, shooting, insubordination, and sleeping with the French attaches wife (and her daughter).
- Assassin Outclassin': Kills two mob hitmen sent to kill him, without getting a scratch.
- Bald of Awesome: Chromedomed and killing Nazis by the score. Only averts Bald of Evil due to fighting the Nazis.
- Berserk Button: Emphasis on "Berserk". His button is threatening his "business". When the German Afrikakorps started approaching where he ran a black market operation, thusly putting his business at risk, he immediately staged a 1 man assault on their battle lines. With nothing more than a single tommy gun and a commandeered motorcycle, Rivet captured the German's artillery cannons and turned them upon the German's own tanks. Upon capture, he headbutts General Rommel (the German's commander) so hard that he breaks Rommel's nose.
- Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Gangster!: Rivet could almost be a poster boy of this trope. He only joined the Navy to escape retribution after stealing from his old crew, used the Navy's operations in Africa as a new crew of sorts until the Germans shut it down, then just joined the Raid Gang as another new crew. He maybe fighting the Nazis, but its pretty much just a government sanctioned crime spree to him.
- Deal with the Devil: See below. A rare version where the protagonist is the Mephistopheles to General Rommel's Faust.
- Did You Just Scam Cthulhu?: Makes a deal with General Rommel, hinted to be trading the desperate Germans much needed fuel supplies from his black market connections, in exchange for his freedom. What does he do after he is freed? Joins the Raid Gang and proceeds to steal every valuable owned by the Nazis that he can, while killing as many of them as possible.
- Even Evil Has Standards: During the prep for a mission to find and execute captured Russian officers, Rivet makes it clear that he takes no joy in it. Before he has never shown issue with any sort of unethical or immoral actions, but it seems assassinating allied prisoners of war atleast puts a bad taste in his mouth.
- Firing One-Handed: Does so while riding a motorcycle during his assault on the Afrikakorps' artillery position.
- Foil: To Wolfgang. Both are driven by greed. Said greed causing them to lose favor with their original faction after stealing from said faction, and now are members of the Raid gang so they can continue stealing. Biggest difference is that Rivet presumably comes from an underclass family that drove him to a life of crime, while Wolfgang came from a wealthy family yet stole anyway.
- Guns Akimbo: Fires two pistols as such during his escape from Gangsterland.
- La Résistance: Was briefly part of the Free French, before joining the RAID Gang.
- Meaningful Name: Rivet's codename most likely spawns from his time as a U.S. Navy Seabee. A group of engineers and construction workers in charge of building necessary infrastructure in theaters of operation.
- More Dakka: His default class of Assault is this, using SMGs, Assault Rifles, and Machine Guns. His Battlecry also allows him to fire 3 times as long as normal, giving him even MORE DAKKA.
- Patriotic Fervor: One of his battle cries is "THIS ONE'S FOR UNCLE SAM!".
- Shotguns Are Just Better: The intro FMV and game's splash screen depict him as using a shotgun.
- Sociopathic Soldier: The Psychopathic variety. Checks all the boxes except rape and killing civilians (although the comic depicts him murdering atleast 1 innocent person). He only joined the RAID Gang because it allows him to murder and steal, while having the backing of an alliance of world powers.
- The Mafia: Originally a (non Italian) member of "The Outfit" (the modern, semi mafia, incarnation of Al Capone's North Side Gang), apparently as a triggerman, until he got too greedy and was forced to flee to avoid the repercussions.
- Villain Respect: General Rommel, the infamous Desert Fox of the Wermacht, was heavily impressed with Rivet's badassery and sheer brass balls.
A recently defected former SS officer. Wolfgang comes from a class of wealth, and joined the Nazis only to increase his own wealth. But to Wolfgang, enough is never enough. After being caught stealing from the Nazi's coffers, Wolfgang was forced to join the allies to avoid the vengeance of the Nazis. Wolfgang's default character class is Demolitions.
- Großes Nein!: Screams one of these while pummeting out of his castle's window
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Was on the receiving end of this after being found out by the SS. After being thrown from a window (and surviving), he was brought back up and had his eye burned out with a cigar.
- Cigar Chomper: Was fond of them during his time in the SS. He isn't seen with one in the RAID Gang, so he may have lost his liking of them after his chat with Himmler.
- Defector from Decadence: Wolfgang, albeit his problem was being too decadent. His whole reason for joining the Nazi Party was making money; he switched sides after escaping a death sentence for trying to sell stolen artwork (being tipped off by another Nazi who initially stole the artwork, of course).
- Destination Defenestration: Was thrown out a window upon being caught by the SS. He survived.
- Eye Scream: Was blinded in one eye, after Heinrich Himmler, leader of the SS, burned it out with a lit cigar, as punishment for stealing from the Nazis.
- Failed a Spot Check: How did Wolfgang fail to notice that his "partner" in ripping off the Nazis had the exact same last name as the head of the SS?
- Foil: To Rivet. Both are driven by greed. Said greed causing them to lose favor with their original faction after stealing from said faction, and now are members of the Raid gang so they can continue stealing. Biggest difference is that Rivet presumably comes from an underclass family that drove him to a life of crime, while Wolfgang came from a wealthy family yet stole anyway.
- Gratuitous German: Wolfgang peppers his speech with German words from time to time.
- Guns Akimbo: Raids a shipment of loot while duel wielding pistols.
- Nazi Nobleman: His bio notes that he was a minor noble in Austria, but not one with much wealth, leading him to join the Nazi party.
- Oh, Crap!: Has this look once he realizes his "partner" sold him out.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: A pump action shotgun is the starting weapon of his default Demolitions class.
- Stuff Blowing Up: His default Demolitions class focuses on blowing up everything in sight with grenades.
- Token Heroic Orc: Is a former Nazi SS, turned Allied commando.
- The Highwayman: Dresses as such while he was in the SS and raiding shipments of loot sent from his castle.
- The Dreaded: Is apparently such a feared intelligence officer that one British soldier in the comic becomes terrified when he realises who she is.
- The Faceless: Is never seen in-game and is only seen from behind in the comic.
- The Handler: She serves as the first point of contact for the RAID gang and also commands a loose network of allied assets in Germany referred to as "The Resistance"
- Voice with an Internet Connection: The RAID gang never sees her in person, they only hear her over the radio. Like a sex swapped Charlie's Angels.
The head of the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare and mastermind behind the RAID gang. Played by John Cleese.
- Dissonant Serenity: Maintains his upbeat "tally ho!" demeanor while "introducing" a VERY dead Wermacht general whose corpse had been delivered to his office.
- I Am Very British: Even drinks tea served from a teapot emblazoned with the Union Jack!
- Identical Grandson: A line in PAYDAY 2 reveals that he is the grandfather of Aldstone, butler to the Payday gang (also played by John Cleese).
- OOC Is Serious Business: His expression drops to obvious rage and his voice drips with venom when he discusses Hitler and then issuing his primary orders to the gang: "Blast their trade, blow their bridges, burn the enemy alive!".
- Quintessential British Gentleman: He is played by John Cleese. What else did you expect?
- Spot of Tea: One of his briefing videos was apparently taken at tea time as he was just sitting down to enjoy a hot cup of tea being served by his assistant.
- Stiff Upper Lip: Just because you're ordering brutal revenge against the Third Reich, doesn't mean there's not time for tea. As to be expected from John Cleese.
- The Spymaster: Heads the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare and appears to report directly to Winston Churchill.
A small group of combat pilots who provide air support for the RAID gang.
- Ace Pilot: They are skilled enough to even fly into enemy air space, land on an enemy airfield to extract allied spies, and fly them safely back to Allied territory.
- They are also capable of flying precision bombing runs over a heavily guarded Nazi treasury, with its own AA gun emplacement. Granted they did MISS their original target of the treasury's front door.
- Voice with an Internet Connection: Downplayed somewhat. When called over the radio, the RAID gang never meets any of the pilots in person, but they do see their planes on occasion.
The game's main antagonists, under the command of Adolf Hitler.
- Did Not Think This Through: Several of his tantrums involve him committing an act of violence, then realize its unfortunate consequences. Like priming and throwing a grenade at his aid (in his own office), or firing wildly into the ceiling with a pistol while attempting to commit suicide (then hearing Eva scream as she is hit by the shots).
- Psychopathic Manchild: Can be seen playing with toy soldiers and often has very childish and violent temper tantrums.
- Smug Snake: If the RAID Gang is defeated, the players get to see Hitler and his assistants celebrating and offering a toast in the smuggest way possible.
- Villainous Breakdown: Has a mental breakdown and tantrum every time the RAID gang succeeds.
- Death from Above: They can throw flares that, if not snuffed out quickly, will call in devastating artillery strikes.
- Glass Cannon: Their artillery can drop your entire group's life quickly, but they have one of the lowest healthpools in the game. Dying after 1-3 shots.
- Attack Its Weak Point: The Flammenwerfers' fueltank backpack can be shot up until it explodes, quickly killing them.
- Expy: Gameplay-wise. This unit serves an identical role to the Bulldozer enemy from the PAYDAY series.
- And Lore-wise, the latter is pretty much like the mix between the Pyro and the Bulldozer.
- Gas Mask Mook: All Flammenwerfer wear a gas mask to protect them from the noxious fumes of their weapon.
- Meaningful Name: Flammenwerfer is German for flame-thrower, three guesses what weapon he uses.
- Kill It with Fire: Uses a flamethrower and can make the battlefield a raging inferno.
- Mighty Glacier: Has the highest healthpool of all enemy types, but cannot move faster than a slow walk.
- The Voiceless: He doesn't utter a single word, except his breathing noises.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Of course.
- Expy: Of Captain Winters (somewhat Gameplay-wise).
- Flunky Boss: Their special ability allows them to call in the Nazi's SS and SA troops. If not dispatched swiftly, they can quickly swarm the players with hard hitting, hard dying troops.
- Nice Hat: Their grey uniform lets them blend in with lesser troops, but their big fancy hat easily gives them away.
- Stone Wall: They have one of the higher healthpools in the game, but aside from calling in reinforcements, their only method of attacking is their small pistol.
- Godzilla Threshold: Only appears in scripted missions.
- No-Sell: Unlike any enemy in the game, this one can literally shrug off any damage dealt by conventional weapons. If you see one, you're in for a world of pain.
- Mighty Glacier: Albeit being indestructible (and an obstacle) and dealing tons of damage, this tank, fortunately is rather very slow but still poses a threat towards the RAID Gang. Also, it's recommended to crouch directly into the tank as the latter won't be able to aim at you.
- Tank Goodness