A list of the major characters in the film The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Brad Majors: A hero note
An All-American man who proposes to his girlfriend Janet Weiss. However, on the way to meet his old friend and science teacher, Dr. Scott, Brad Majors ends up with a flat tire on his car. He soon finds himself at the mercy of Dr. Frank N Furter, his servants, and ends up confused over his own sexuality after the events in the castle.
Played by Barry Bostwick
Janet Weiss: A heroinenote
innocent girl who is Brad's fiancee. Though, during her time in the castle, she has sex with both Frank N. Furter and Rocky
...the latter prompting pure rage from the former. In the end, she's also confused about what has occurred, but also realizes the benefits of living a sexually active life.
Played by Susan Sarandon
Dr. Frank N Furter: A scientist
Frank is a Mad Scientist
bent on creating the "perfect man," which he succeeds in doing so by creating Rocky. He's something of the antagonist of the film, causing all sorts of trouble for Brad and Janet. In the end, he's killed by Riff Raff. Star-Making Role
for Tim Curry
- Affably Evil
- All Take and No Give: As Columbia pointed out, Frank is very selfish.
- Anything That Moves: Frank's not picky when it comes to gender...or species for that matter. The original stage show stated that Frank came to Earth to conquer it for the planet Transsexual, but loved having sex with Earthlings so much he just stopped giving a shit.
- Attention Whore: Oh, so very much. He hates it when people steal the spotlight from him.
- Ax-Crazy: Frank is completely and utterly insane.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT make Frank jealous. It will be the absolute last thing you'll ever do.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He'll sleep with (almost) anyone. But, if he sees ANYONE with his beloved Rocky, he'll unleash his jealousy-induced rage upon you. Janet had to find this out the hard way.
- Depraved Pansexual: And how!
- The Hedonist: Is a strong believer in "absolute pleasure".
- Hypocrite: As a hedonist, he's all for people being faithless in relationships and sleeping with whoever.....unless Rocky does it. If Rocky does it, all hell breaks loose.
- Though this is possibly because he's more than a bit of a control freak. He is always the one to initiate sexual encounters and is always in control of those sexual encounters, any other arrangement seems to make him uncomfortable or angry.
- Large Ham: Oh yeah! Even his entrance is a big give away and how much more when he performs?.
- Manipulative Bastard: Frank's an expert at convincing people to sleep with him by playing with their emotions.
- Mysterious Middle Initial: Frank is his first name and Furter is his last name. His middle initial is "N" and it's never revealed what it stands for.
- Puny Earthlings: Frank views himself as superior to human beings.
- Punny Name: "You're a hot dog..."
- Screw the Rules, I'm Beautiful!
- Shout-Out/Take That: Steve Reeves movies are "something more visual, but not too abysmal".
- Slasher Smile: Does this when he hacks Eddie to pieces with a pick-axe.
- Spoiled Brat: He's implied to be this.
- Sweet Transvestite
- Taken for Granite: He does this to Janet, Brad, Columbia, Rocky and Dr. Scott in the end.
- Too Funny to Be Evil: Part of the reason why he's so popular with the fans. He's crazy, but he's also just so charming.
- Truly Single Parent: Sort of. In a sense, he could be considered both Rocky's mother and father...which only adds to the Squick factor of their relationship.
- Villainous Crossdresser.
- Villainous Lament: His final moments are a desperate attempt to get people to feel sorry for him.
- Villain Song: Sweet Transvestite and Wise Up, Janet Weiss/Planet, Schmanet, Janet.
Riff Raff: A handyman
Frank's personal butler, Riff Raff is a shady character who seems to be up to something throughout the film. In the end, he kills Frank, Rocky, and Columbia before he and his sister Magenta return to their home planet of Transsexual, Transylvania.
Played by Richard O'Brien, who wrote the stageshow (and co-wrote the film).
- Berserk Button: Making Riff Raff jealous is even worse than making Frank jealous, and that's putting it very mildly.
- Case in point, Richard O'Brien stated in an interview that the main reason why Riff Raff killed Frank was purely out of jealousy.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Riff Raff shares a rather, erm, close bond with his sister Magenta.
- Deadpan Snarker
- The Dog Bites Back
- Mr. Fanservice: He has quite a few fangirls.
- The Igor
- Karma Houdini
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "THEY DIDN'T LIKE MEEE! They never liked me."
- GET PARANOID, RIFF! GET RETROACTIVELY PARANOID, RIFF!
- Alt: GET EMO, RIFF! ... GET REALLY EMO, RIFF!
- Alt Alt: GET PARANOID, RIFF! GET "REALLY" PARANOID, RIFF!
- The Starscream
- Zeerust: The beam of pure antimatter is a deliberate send-up of the fifties.
Magenta: A domesticnote
Riff Raff's sister, and also Frank's maid. In the end, her brother kills Frank, Rocky, and Columbia before they head back to their home planet of Transsexual, Transylvania.
Played by Patricia Quinn.
Rocky Horror: A creation
Frank's beloved creation, Rocky is supposed to be the "perfect man." However, things don't go well when Janet seduces him
causing Frank to go into a jealous rage. In the end, he's killed by Riff Raff while mourning the loss of Frank and trying to escape.
Played by Peter Hinwood.
Columbia: A groupie
A groupie who is both Frank's and Eddie's ex-girlfriend. She starts off as being extremely loyal to Frank. Though, she quickly realizes that he's simply using her and turns on him. In the end, she's killed by Riff Raff.
Played by "Little Nell" Campbell.
Dr. Everett Scott: A rival scientist
Brad's former science teacher and close friend. He ends up at the castle while looking for his nephew, Eddie. Played by Jonathan Adams.
Eddie: An ex-delivery boy note
A former delivery boy who was Columbia's ex-boyfriend (in the stage show he was also Frank's). Half of his brain was used to create Rocky. After escaping from the freezer (and singing a song), Eddie is promptly killed by Frank.
One of the earliest roles for Meat Loaf
The Criminologist: An expertMr. Exposition
. Played by Charles Gray.
- Actor Allusion: Audience Participation will sometimes refer to Gray's time playing Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever.
- Butt Monkey / Original Cast Precedent: Should you be portraying the Criminologist, get ready for a load of neck-related jokes, from "THAT MAN HAS NO NECK!" to your every line being greeted with "WHERE'S YOUR FUCKING NECK?"
- "What diabolical chicken kicked your forehead, shat on your tie, and pecked out your neck!?"
- "The man you are about to see has no neck...obviously, his mother didn't fuck a giraffe."
- Greek Chorus
- In the play, the Phantoms (Transylvanians) also fulfill this role.
- Mr. Exposition
- Narrator: Listed as this in the original play.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race, lost in time, and lost in space, and meaning."
- Only Sane Man: Well, considering he's completely removed from the main action . . .
- Well, unless you count his part of the Time Warp...