Did they have to make their explosive mutant a female? The looks on their faces say "yes".
Whenever a female protagonist has to consult with or bring in an expert on some obscure and/or technical subject, said expert will invariably turn out to be socially awkward and generally unattractive, but clearly smitten with her
. A Horny Scientist is not, as a rule, sexually aggressive, and may in fact turn out to be strangely endearing
in his own geeky way
, but rarely actually becomes even a Temporary Love Interest
Note, if this is a horny Mad Scientist
, expect their creations to be somewhat... Freudian at the very least.
In contrast, a male protagonist will get a Hot Scientist
Anime and Manga
- Cowboy Bebop The Movie has one, who makes Elektra agree to go on a date with him in exchange for testing her blood for the MacGuffin.
- A female example appears in Defense Devil, who never stop flirting and showing off in very Stripperiffic outfits whenever the male protagonist comes to her for help.
- There are two in the Black Order's Asian Branch in D.Gray-Man: Director Bak Chang, who has the hots for Lenalee and stalks her, and minor character Rohfa, who is quite infatuated with Allen.
- Shinra Kishitani from Durarara!!. Unlike most examples, Celty actually has to live with him and he wishes that it would stop being just Innocent Cohabitation (having gotten a crush on her since he was 4, long story). Still, there's some mutual feelings between them and he's far more attractive than the usual example.
- Naruto: Shiho, the cryptographer with an instant crush on Shikamaru counts more as this trope than Hot Scientist, though she is kind of adorable in a mousy, nerdy way.
- Seitokai Yakuindomo's Nene Todoroki is a Rare Female Example; she is portrayed in a continuous state of arousal given the fact that she seem to always have a dildo sticking up her nether regions, although she hides it well.
- Agent J in Men in Black mistook a medical examiner for a horny scientist when she was actually nervous (and trying to clue him in on an alien hiding under the table, which he took as double entendres).
- Subverted in the first Charlie's Angels film. The socially inept Horny Scientist Sam Rockwell smitten with Dylan Sanders turns out to be the Big Bad using the girls to get to Charlie.
- X-Men: First Class: Subverted. When Agent Moira MacTaggert has to find an expert on genetic mutation (specifically one who has researched the possible manifestation of superpowers in humans), she ends up meeting Charles Xavier on the day he is awarded his PhD in genetics. Dr. Xavier is horny alright, and he uses his geeky pick-up lines on Moira the instant he sees her. But instead of being undesirable, Charles is a gorgeous, charming, well-dressed academic—he's even a womanizer to boot. Although Moira brushes off his amorous advances at first to focus on her investigation of the Hellfire Club, she does become Xavier's Implied Love Interest by the finale.
- In several episodes of Stargate SG-1, Samantha Carter deals with the irritating, Horny Scientist Rodney McKay (who was popular enough with audience and the writers that he became a main character on Stargate Atlantis). Rodney appears to have the hots for Colonel Carter, considering that he styled his country's ruler in "The Game" on her.
- One wonders if this is to be swept under the rug now that the McKeller 'ship has set sail...
- And then there was Dr. Felger, who not only had a crush on Sam, but idolized SG-1 to the point that he would risk his life to try to impress them by "saving" them after SG-1 was captured by a minor System Lord.
- Tru Calling used one as a main character (in fact, it seems a large percentage of them are medical examiners or pathologists, which may or may not add a layer of Squick once the Fridge Logic kicks in).
- Scully on The X-Files had two of these, Agent Pendrell and Frohike of the Lone Gunmen.
- Frohike, while fitting this trope in the first couple of seasons, continued hitting on Scully afterwards because he found it amusing. See "Three of a Kind."
- Rocky the entomologist from "Lord of the Flies", who is so smitten with Scully that it leads to this lovely conversation:
Rocky: You know, when a male and female calliphorid fly mate, they stay joined for up to one and a half hours. One and a half, doctor.
Scully: You know, Rocky... I'm a mother.
Rocky: Mothers are women, too.
- Richard Sanders made a guest appearance on Designing Women as a scientist with the hots for Charlene.
- Murphy Brown went out with a brilliant physicist she had interviewed. She expected a quiet evening of stimulating conversation, but found herself accosted by an obnoxious, lecherous Casanova Wannabe.
- An expert consulted in several sketches of Royal Canadian Air Farce is Professor Ick, an unattractive and horny female scientist. She constantly flirts with the interviewers and her explanations always become sexual, usually with pelvic thrusts and moans. She sometimes has a male colleague, who tends to act the same way.
- One episode of The Big Bang Theory has an FBI Agent played by Eliza Dushku interview Leonard, only for her to get annoyed since he's only interested in hitting on her. Howard usually fulfills this role, however.
- Battlestar Galactica included one without a female protagonist to focus on. Gaius Baltar is characterized as a brilliant scientist who aspires to having "hot and cold running interns". These tendencies are directly responsible for the Colonial military getting almost completely routed in a matter of hours courtesy of a Cylon Honey Trap.
- Scott from Orphan Black has a crush on Cosima and remains a loyal friend even after it's clear she's interested in someone else.
- One of the possible team acquisitions in the RPG game Fallout 2 is scientist Myron. He is definitely horny. And sleazy.
- Fallout: New Vegas has Dr. Dala in the Old World Blues DLC. She and the other doctors each became a Brain in a Jar so they could continue doing SCIENCE!!! after their bodies died. Dr. Dala is the only female among the five, and it's been so long since she last had sex (or for that matter, any sensations involving physical touch,) that if the player has the Lady Killer perk, they can bring Dr. Dala to mental climax just by talking and breathing to her.
- Despite no one ever needing to consult with him, Tedd from El Goonish Shive is clearly a Horny Scientist, albeit a successful one - he and Grace have one of the longest-running relationships in the story. Dr. Germahn from the Q&A strips is also this, doing stuff like creating potions that will make sweat dissolve clothes.
- Dr. Schlock of Sluggy Freelance can be quite the perv. Strangely, even though his specialty is inflatable technology, we've never seen him … let's say, combine work and play. Given his lack of skill with genetics, he presumably succeeded at some point, since 4-U City's Rammer is his son.
- Dr. Disaster from Gunnerkrigg Court is this towards Jones.