Give My Regards in the Next World
A stock Pre-Mortem One-Liner
which usually comes in two flavours:
From the killer to the victim. Often told from the villain to the Disposable Woman
or anyone close to The Hero
that they're about to kill. When it's The Hero
saying this, it's usually to Mooks
attempting to avenge their boss
or to an enemy upon the issue of a Duel to the Death
From the victim to their friends or sometimes the killer themselves. The Tear Jerker
variant which is usually found among the True Companions
when one of them is dying in the arms of one of his comrades
, usually along the lines of "Meet you on the other side"
is sometimes used in the context of a Mercy Kill
but it's rarer.
Related to See You in Hell
and We Will Meet Again
As this accompanies a character's death, beware of spoilers on this page.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- End of Evangelion:
Gendo: Professor Fuyustuki, take care of this, please.
Fuyutsuki: I understand, Sir. Please give Yui my regards.
- In the 2003 anime version of Fullmetal Alchemist, King Bradley is trying to kill Mustang, and after stabbing him, tells him, "Give my regards to Major General Hughes". Since Hughes was Mustang's best friend, this is also "rubbing salt in the wound".
- Vincent from Cowboy Bebop Knockin' on Heaven's Door quips to Spike that they'll meet in the next world before shoooting him and dropping him through a window Spike survives, though.
- In an example which also has an element of See You in Hell, in Black Lagoon, as Revy shoots a Neo-Nazi mook in the face, she tells him, "Say hi to the Fuhrer for me."
- Inverted in Gundam Wing, where it's the person who's about to die (Treize) who makes the comment "See you on the other side, Zechs."
- In Berserk, right before Guts deals the killing blow to Bishop Mozgus he shouts, "When you meet your god, tell him to leave me (the FUCK) alone!"
- Atomic Robo and the Shadow From Beyond Time gives us a Pre-Mortem One-Liner quite a bit nerdier than most:
"When you return to your unobservable but empirically determined dimension of origin, tell them Carl Sagan
- Major Deakins to Captain Hale in Broken Arrow (1996), "Don't forget to say hi to Johnson for me when you see him", in regards to a previously killed mook.
- Heroic example in Die Hard with a Vengeance, McClane says "Say hello to your brother" just before he kills Simon Gruber, referring to Hans Gruber who McClane killed in the first film.
- From the Lost in Space film, Doctor Smith comments, "Farewell my platinum plated pal. Give my regards to oblivion."
- In Mighty Joe Young (the remake) when the poacher was going to shoot the heroine, he says, "You'll join your mother in hell."
- In Spawn, the title character says to Violator, just after decapitating him, "Give my regards to your boss. Tell him he's next."
- Another heroic version from the Stargate film- "Give my regards to King Tut, asshole."
- Friday the 13th (2009) (2009): "Jason! Say hi to mommy... IN HELL!"
- Used as a retort in A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master.
Kincaid: I'll see you in Hell.
Freddy: Tell 'em Freddy sent you!
- In The World Is Not Enough, when James Bond mortally wounds Renard, he says, "She's waiting for you!" referring to Renard's lover Electra, who Bond had killed earlier.
- In The Marine, during the final battle, Rome yells to Triton, "Say hello to your wife!" as Kate had fallen into the water while trapped in a truck.
- Indy's friend Wu Han, in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, has a kind of inversion when he's shot.
Wu Han: I've followed you on many adventures ... but into the great unknown mystery, I go first, Indy! I go...
- And Indy to the Big Bad at the climax:
Indiana: Prepare to meet Kali... in Hell!
- In Treasure Planet, Scroop caused Mr. Arrow to fall to his demise in space. When he's about to do the same Jim:
Scroop: Do say hello to Mr. Arrow for me.
- Instead, Jim manages to stay on the ship and send Scroop flying into space to his death, saying "Tell him yourself!"
- In Paul, Haggard gets a good one off during a car chase:
Moses: "I'm on a mission from God!"
Haggard: "Tell him you failed!" *Runs him off the road*
Live Action TV
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Count Orsi: Wilhem, and ... what was your name again, lad?
Christof: Mark my name well, Orsi, for the devil will wish to know who delivered you unto his lightless realm. Tell the devil thou wert despatched from earth by Christof Romuald. Christof Romuald whose soul he shall never possess so long as there is hope beyond all hope in this world.
- Final Fantasy IV
Cagnazzo: Give my regards to Scarmiglione when you see him in hell.
- Captain Price to Makarov in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2:
Makarov: I'll see you in Hell.
Captain Price: Looking forward to it. Give my regards to Zakhaev if you get there first.
- In BioShock, after The Reveal, Frank Fontaine tells you to say hello to Ryan (who you just killed) when you die, as You Have Outlived Your Usefulness and Fontaine now wants you dead.
- In Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, when Sylvanas has Arthas at her mercy:
- The Necromancer in Diablo II, after defeating Mephisto for the first time:
"Good journey, Mephisto. Give my regards to the abyss."
- Boris Dime in Max Payne greets Max with this:
"Tell the devil that Dime sent ya."
- Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes Desperate Struggle to Skelter Helter, the younger brother of a man he killed
"When you see your brother in hell, tell him he's still A DOUCHE!!!"
- Evil Dead games:
Ash: Say hi to disco for me.
Ash: When you get to hell, tell 'em Ash sent you.
- When Chaos Space Marines kill Eldar in Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, they will occasionally proclaim "Give my regards to Slaanesh, Eldar!" To elaborate on why this is such a dick move, Slaanesh is the God of Evil that was unwittingly created by the Eldar and has since doomed them to an eternity of torment in the afterlife so long as it lives.
- Transformers Beast Wars
- Episode "Law of the Jungle"
Tigertron: Give my regards to the pit, Predacon!
Tarantulas: Game over, vermin! Give my regards to the Inferno!
- Parodied on Futurama, when Bender was being taken to be executed in "A Tale of Two Santas", a large robot in one of the cells told him "When you see the Robot Devil, tell him I'm a-coming". The Robot Devil turns out to be in the next cell.
Bender: He says-
Robot Devil: I heard him.
- Family Guy. Just before Stewie is about to kill Lois, he tells her to, "Say hello to Cleveland. Oh, and Mr. Weed." Stewie killed Cleveland earlier in the episode, and Mr. Weed choked to death on a piece of bread several seasons ago.
- In the Adventure Time episode "Hug Wolf", Jake tells the Tree of Blight "When you see the Wicker Devil in Tree Afterlife, tell him Jake says 'Hello'!" right before setting it ablaze.