"I gotta tell you, I'm glad he's on our side, because can you imagine a criminal so neat that he never leaves behind any hair or fingerprints?"So that guy can lift millions of tons, fly faster than light, see through almost everything, and incinerate you with a glance? Damn, it's a good thing that he's a Super Hero because he would make one hell of a villain. Basically, this trope is when a character expresses the sentiment that it's a good thing that so-and-so is on their side, because they would make a dangerously formidable enemy. Sometimes this is followed up with the joke "at least I think s/he is" or a variant thereof. Or a less certain "...he is, right?" If the person they're talking about is some flavor of Anti-Hero, the chances double. This is also likely to be said by someone who works with a Sociopathic Hero. Sometimes spoken directly to the person in the form of "I'm glad you're on our side".
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- In Soul Eater, Maka says this of Ragnarok after his and Crona's Heel Face Turns when he effortlessly blocks an attack from a Giant Chainsaw and topples the Golem wielding it. Maka even goes as far as to express surprise and Fridge Horror that she once fought it. While this is not explicitly said about Stein, the sentiment is certainly there amongst his colleagues who are well aware he's a Sociopathic Hero.
- In Fullmetal Alchemist, one of the Briggs soldiers says this about Ling/Greed when he single-handedly drives off Bradley's reinforcements.
- In One Piece, the Galley-La Company and Franky Family's reaction to Luffy and Zoro taking down a tidal wave is this.
- Earlier in the series, Zeff expresses this after figuring out Luffy's personality while defending the Baratie. He's met people like Luffy before and he tells Sanji that people like him aren't afraid of anything, not even death, so this makes them hell to fight.
- In Eyeshield 21, Hiruma tends to invoke this reaction. It's even lampshaded here when he was playing against his teammates in a school sports event.
- Kurokawa says this word-for-word about Mikura in the Mezzo Forte OVA series.
- Dragon Ball Z's Vegeta draws this reaction from the others upon revealing that he has reached the level of becoming a Super Saiyan.
Gohan: Whoa. You know who just joined the Super Saiyan club! He is on our side, isn't he?
- Inverted in Watchmen: The heroes are dismayed to realize who isn't on their side after all, because of his capabilities. And even those who really are on their side are (to put it mildly) not always the best allies to have.
- In the first issue of Superman, a group of politicians/law enforcement types say this of Superman at the end.
- Atomic Robo: "Jenkins is... Well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."
- Ultimate Avengers
Giant Man: Who's the chick with the hammer? [referring to The Mighty Thor]Iron Man: Whoever she is, I'm glad she's on our side.
- Disney's Pocahontas - "I'm glad you're on our side."
- McCoy says this about Uhura in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
- Bloodsport - "I'm glad you're on our side."
- Three Men and a Baby - "Aren't you glad he's on our side?"
- To Have And Have Not (1944) - "I'm glad you're on our side." (said twice)
- Screamers - In reference to the first generation of Screamers, which hunt targets by burrowing through the ground: "I'm glad those things are on our side."
- Wargames: The Dead Code - "Glad she's on our side."
- Back to Bataan (1945) - "I'm sure glad you guys are on our side."
- Earth 2100 - "I'm glad you're on our side."
- Odysseus and the Isle of the Mists - "I'm glad that you are on our side."
- Evoked in Blade:
Eric: There's worse things out there tonight than vampires.Karen: Like what?Eric: Like me.
- In Jingo, when someone questions Vimes's decision to enlist dwarfs to his regiment, Vimes tells him, "If you've ever seen them really fight, you must've been on the same side."
- In The Fionavar Tapestry,the kingdom of Cathal is providing military aid to the kingdom of Brennin. However, there is some rivalry between the two, and the king of Cathal wants to win some points by catching Brennin unawares and forcing them to scramble to provide a proper greeting. Unfortunately for him, he is greeted on the road by Brennin's prince, who apparently knew that they were coming all along. Then, when they reach Brennin's capital, they find that Brennin's high king (the prince's newly-crowned brother) has indeed prepared a proper greeting for them...in less than two hours, since he did not know they were coming (the prince hadn't told him, leaving it as a test of his brother's defensive preparations. Less of a dick move than it sounds, since he fully expected his brother to succeed.). Faced with one brother who's a genius at intelligence and another who is a genius at organization and defensive preparation, the king of Cathal can only agree when a bystander says "Be glad that they are ours."
- Inverted in one episode of Frasier with regards to his agent's skill/total lack of morals.
Frasier: You've lied, cheated and manipulated not only me, but the news media and the entire city of Seattle! What could you possibly have to say for yourself?Bebe: Aren't you glad I'm on your side?
- Law & Order: UK DS Ronnie Brooks says this to partner Matt Devlin regarding CP James Steele after he's eviscerated him in court over errors made in the investigation.
- In the Vorkuta level of Black Ops, when you first meet Sergei, Mason says to him, "Glad you are a friend, Sergei," due to his brute strength.
- In Mass Effect, Kaidan says this about Nihlus. He also says the same thing about the super-dreadnaught, Destiny Ascension. The first ends up dead via betrayal in the first 30 minutes of the game and the second ends up either blown up via Epic Fail or saved at the cost of quite a few Alliance ships. Notice a pattern, here?
- Mass Effect 2 has a mega-Krogan heft a large piece of plate armour aside with next to no difficulty. While not exacly on Shepard's side, Garrus is "glad he's friendly".
- Inverted in Left 4 Dead: the Tank's not on your team, but Rochelle wishes he was.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront II, if you go on a killing streak your allies make comments. One of them is "I'm glad your on our side!" Another is, "Save some for the rest of us!" Amusingly, the better you do, the worse the AI gets.
- In Fire Emblem 10 (Radiant Dawn), Ike says this of Skrimir.
- In the second novel Gaea explicitly says this about her Blood Knight childhood friend Golgotha.
- Such a sentiment seems to be behind T-Man and Précieux's actions in Noob: La Quete Legendaire. They'd rather have Gaea as their leader than as an enemy, but at least T-Man still clearly hates her on a personal level after the hell she has put him through in the past.
- In G.I. Joe, after Storm Shadow left Cobra and joined the Joe team, his file card had a quote from General Hawk: "I'm glad he's on our side now." Understandable since Storm Shadow's skills are equal to, if not greater than, those of Snake Eyes.
- Family Guy:
Toy Designer: I've just finished the new line of G.I. Jew toys. [pushes a button on the G.I. Jew action figure]G.I. Jew: You call these bagels?Toy Designer: Whoa, I'm glad he's on our side.
- Jonny Quest
- "The Mystery of the Lizard Men". Race Bannon says it after Dr. Quest uses the mirror to reflect the Big Bad's laser beam back and blow him up.
- "Treasure of the Temple". Dr. Quest says "I'm glad you're on our team" to Race Bannon after he defeats a crocodile to save Jonny and dumps a canoeload of villains into the water.
- Hanna-Barbera's Moby Dick, episode "The Sinister Sea Saucer". Tug says this about Moby after Moby blows away a giant enemy manta ray.
- The Herculoids episode "The Lost Dorgyte". Dorno says "I'm glad you're on our side" to Tundro.
- In the Codename: Kids Next Door movie, "Operation: Z.E.R.O.", after Nigel uses a very unorthodox method to save the Moonbase:
Numbuh Five: Gee, Numbuh One, I'm glad I'll never have'ta fight you. You crazy.
- In John Callahan's Quads! Lefty expresses this sentiment about Blazer, who is nothing more than a head on a skateboard that still manages to be violent, treacherous, dangerous, and somehow capable of indecent exposure.
Lefty: I barely want Blazer as a friend. I definitely don't want him as an enemy.