"I gotta tell you, I'm glad he's on our side, because can you imagine a criminal so neat that he never leaves behind any hair or fingerprints?"
So that guy can lift millions of tons, fly faster than light, see through almost everything, and incinerate you with a glance?
Damn, it's a good thing that he's a Super Hero
because he would make one hell of a villain.
Basically, this trope is when a character expresses the sentiment that it's a good thing that so-and-so is on their side, because they would make a dangerously formidable enemy.
Sometimes this is followed up with the joke "at least I think s/he is" or a variant thereof. Or a less certain "...he is, right?" If the person they're talking about is some flavor of Anti-Hero
, the chances double.
This is also likely to be said by someone who works with a Sociopathic Hero
Sometimes spoken directly to the person in the form of "I'm glad you're on our side".
Anime and Manga
- Inverted in Watchmen: The heroes are dismayed to realize who isn't on their side after all, because of his capabilities.
- In the first issue of Superman, a group of politicians/law enforcement types say this of Superman at the end.
: It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him
- Atomic Robo: "Jenkins is... Well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."
- In Jingo, when someone questions Vimes's decision to enlist dwarfs to his regiment, Vimes tells him, "If you've ever seen them really fight, you must've been on the same side."
- In The Fionavar Tapestry,the kingdom of Cathal is providing military aid to the kingdom of Brennin. However, there is some rivalry between the two, and the king of Cathal wants to win some points by catching Brennin unawares and forcing them to scramble to provide a proper greeting. Unfortunately for him, he is greeted on the road by Brennin's prince, who apparently knew that they were coming all along. Then, when they reach Brennin's capital, they find that Brennin's high king (the prince's newly-crowned brother) has indeed prepared a proper greeting for them...in less than two hours, since he did not know they were coming (the prince hadn't told him, leaving it as a test of his brother's defensive preparations. Less of a dick move than it sounds, since he fully expected his brother to succeed.). Faced with one brother who's a genius at intelligence and another who is a genius at organization and defensive preparation, the king of Cathal can only agree when a bystander says "Be glad that they are ours."
- Inverted in one episode of Frasier with regards to his agent's skill/total lack of morals.
Frasier: You've lied, cheated and manipulated not only me, but the news media and the entire city of Seattle! What could you possibly have to say for yourself?
Bebe: Aren't you glad I'm on your side?
- In the Vorkuta level of Black Ops, when you first meet Sergei, Mason says to him, "Glad you are a friend, Sergei," due to his brute strength.
- In Mass Effect 1, Kaidan says this about Nihlus. He also says the same thing about the super-dreadnaught, Destiny Ascension. The first ends up dead via betrayal in the first 30 minutes of the game and the second ends up either blown up via Epic Fail or saved at the cost of quite a few Alliance ships. Notice a pattern, here?
- Mass Effect 2 has a mega-Krogan heft a large piece of plate armour aside with next to no difficulty. While not exacly on Shepard's side, Garrus is "glad he's friendly".
- Inverted in Left 4 Dead: the Tank's not on your team, but Rochelle wishes he was.
- Pretty much every Psychonaut. They can wreathe things in fire with ease, drop a giant rock on your head with telekinesis, psi-blast you in the face, and it's implied that they have the power to make your head explode with their minds.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront II, if you go on a killing streak your allies make comments. One of them is "I'm glad your on our side!" Another is, "Save some for the rest of us!"
- In Fire Emblem 10 (Radiant Dawn), Ike says this of Skrimir.
- In G.I. Joe, after Storm Shadow left Cobra and joined the Joe team, his file card had a quote from General Hawk: "I'm glad he's on our side now." Understandable since Storm Shadow's skills are equal to, if not greater than, those of Snake Eyes.
- Family Guy:
Toy Designer: I've just finished the new line of G.I. Jew toys. [pushes a button on the G.I. Jew action figure]
G.I. Jew: You call these bagels?
Toy Designer: Whoa, I'm glad he's on our side.
- Jonny Quest
- "The Mystery of the Lizard Men". Race Bannon says it after Dr. Quest uses the mirror to reflect the Big Bad's laser beam back and blow him up.
- "Treasure of the Temple". Dr. Quest says "I'm glad you're on our team" to Race Bannon after he defeats a crocodile to save Jonny and dumps a canoeload of villains into the water.
- Hanna-Barbera's Moby Dick, episode "The Sinister Sea Saucer". Tug says this about Moby after Moby blows away a giant enemy manta ray.
- The Herculoids episode "The Lost Dorgyte". Dorno says "I'm glad you're on our side" to Tundro.
- In the Codename: Kids Next Door movie, "Operation: Z.E.R.O.", after Nigel uses a very unorthodox method to save the Moonbase:
Numbuh Five: Gee, Numbuh One, I'm glad I'll never have'ta fight you. You crazy.