- The other person is shy;
- He's staring at something (often something that would be awkward if someone notices him looking at it);
- He's reluctant to say the particular thing he's supposed to say;
- He appears to be dying or dead.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In the first-season Pokémon episode "Showdown at Dark City", Misty suggests making up pseudonyms so the group won't blemish their reputation by essentially taking sides in a gang war. Ash and Misty come up with names fairly quickly, but Misty has to nudge Brock to make him speak since he's too busy gawking at the female recruiter.
- In the anime adaptation of Super Robot Wars: Divine Wars, Aya is responsible for doing this to Ryusei in order to remind him to stick to military protocol, which is justified since he had enlisted with the Earth Federation Army recently under pressure from Major Ingram so that he wouldn't be arrested.
- In the Star Trek fanfic Insontis, McCoy, who is playing a role-play game with the de-aged Kirk, kicks the biobed he has strapped Spock to in order to get the Vulcan to say his lines.
- In The New Adventures Of Invader Zim, Zim does this to Skoodge in the first chapter to get him to go along with the on-the-spot lie that he's Zim's cousin.
- Later, Red does this to Purple to keep him from accidentally revealing to Tenn that they forgot all about her.
Films — Animation
- In the Wallace & Gromit short A Matter of Loaf and Death, one of the first signs that Piella is evil is that the spoiled character's nudge to their dog was too hard.
- In one of the Ice Age films. Manfred just seemingly pulled a Heroic Sacrifice and is down for the count. Sid approaches him and urged him to "say something, anything!" to confirm he's okay. He mutters something, and is told to clarify by Sid, so clarifies after that and says Sid is stepping on his trunk and unintentionally choking him.
Films — Live-Action
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Ron has to nudge Harry during the Hippogriff lesson in order for him to go forward as Hagrid had asked.
- Janet nudges Brad to get him to speak in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- In Galaxy Quest, during a promotion at a store-opening, Gwen has to nudge fellow actor Alexander to get him to once again spit out his character's despised catchphrase.
- Near the end of Artemis Fowl book The Arctic Incident, Butler gives Artemis a nudge to prompt him to thank Holly for saving his parents.
- The Benny Hill Show. During a big production number by the Volunteer Fireman's Brigade the Captain pushes a dimwitted member out in front so he can introduce the Captain. The Captain ends up Playing Cyrano, feeding him the introduction phrase by phrase, then acts surprised when he "discovers" that he's the one being talked about.
- The premise of the chorus for the Michael Jackson song "Smooth Criminal", The character finds "Annie" assaulted, so he goes "Annie, are you OK, would you tell us, that you're OK?" to the girl.
- Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus Clank does this to Ratchet after he said "No" at first to Captain Qwark's offer to rescue them (Did someone call for a savior?". He then changes it to "Yeah! It was us who said that!"
- In The Order of the Stick, Celia once disguises as a half-fiendish necromancer to trick hobgoblins guards, with Haley and Belkar pretending to be corpses. However, the guards get suspicious and demand she demonstrates her necromancy. When Belkar doesn't initially respond to "Darkblood Gloomgloom" pronouncing a fake incantation, Celia smacks him.
Celia as Darkblood Gloomgloom: I said, "ARISE, dead halfling corpse that is right in front of me, and take a semblance of life!" NOW!
Belkar as undead: OW! OK, OK, I'm arising already.
- In the Ever After High episode "The Day Ever After", Blondie nudges Dexter to make him nod in agreement with what their friends are saying. This is an early hint that Dexter is secretly part of the group she was mocking.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- In the episode "A Bird in the Hoof", Twilight gives Fluttershy a "make noise" nudge, to get her to help in covering up the sound of Philomena's coughing so the Royal Guards don't hear.
- In "Lesson Zero", Apple Bloom gives one to Sweetie Belle so she'd say something along with her and Scootaloo to placate an obviously deranged Twilight Sparkle trying to offer them an ugly doll.
- In "The Cutie Map - Part 2", Twilight gives Fluttershy a bump to remind her that she needs to say that she wants to join their cult in order to spy on Starlight Glimmer.
- In the beginning of "Appleoosa's Most Wanted", Scootaloo nudges Apple Bloom so that she'll ask her sister if they can participate in the rodeo events.
- The Simpsons. During a school assembly introducing new principal Ned Flanders, he asks if there are any questions. Jimbo nudges Kearney, telling him to ask a question or else they'll all have to go back to class. Kearney asks what the new principal's policy is on lunch.
- At the beginning of the VeggieTales episode "King George and the Ducky", Jimmy and Jerry Gourd are both wearing cardboard cutouts of Bob and Larry. After Jimmy tries introducing himself as Bob the Tomato, Jerry tries introducing himself as Larry the Cucumber, but stops after saying "And I'm Larry", prompting Jimmy to give Jerry a nudge in the side, so that Jerry can finish with "Cucumber".
- In the second episode of Ultimate Spider-Man, Luke Cage nudges Sam Alexander so he can introduce himself.
- In the 3-2-1 Penguins! episode "Lazy Daze", Midgel nudges Zidgel in the chest roughly in order to get him to apologize for being lazy.