"My God, this house is freakin' sweet!"
"Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome
Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret!"
A character in a musical enters a new place and is welcomed in song by the residents.
May also serve as a Setting Introduction Song
Theatre and Musicals
- In Annie, Mr. Warbucks' servants welcome Annie to her new home with song and dance, and she sings her reaction: "I Think I'm Going to Like It Here."
- "Welcome to the Theatre" from Applause, The Musical of All About Eve.
- "Wilkommen" is the opening song of Cabaret.
- In Oliver!, the boys sing "Consider Yourself" to welcome Oliver into their gang.
- "Iowa Stubborn" from The Music Man, in which the inhabitants of River City sing about how they're all Jerkasses,
"But what the heck, you're welcome,
Join us at the picnic.
You can eat your fill
Of all the food you bring yourself."
- Tommy has both "Tommy's Holiday Camp" and "Welcome".
- The Rocky Horror Show (and the film, The Rocky Horror Picture Show) has Brad and Janet welcomed to the Castle with the Time Warp. That said, the song isn't about welcoming them, nor does it seem to be about anything but the dance that goes with it. It would be a Big Lipped Alligator Moment if it weren't for the fact that it's just that kind of show.
- Les MisÚrables has the crooked innkeeper Thenardier singing "Master of the House" to welcome new guests to his inn...with plenty of asides about how he intends to fleece them for everything they've got.
- "Lovely Ladies" is an even darker version, about prostitutes out on the street waiting to meet sailors coming in to the harbor and a little later welcoming Fantine to join their ranks.
- Lestat has two: "In Paris" in act one, and "Welcome To the New World" in act two.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory crosses this with an I Am Great Song — and, suspicously, the glamorous style of a Villain Song — at the end of Act One as Willy Wonka greets the Golden Ticket winners at the door to his factory with "It Must Be Believed to Be Seen".
- In The Wizard of Oz, after the Munchkins have finished singing about how happy they are that Dorothy has killed the Witch, they sing "We Welcome You to Munchkin Land".
- "Be Our Guest" from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
- The Pebble and the Penguin has an unhappy example in "Welcome to the Good Ship Misery".
- Aladdin and the King of Thieves:
- In "There's A Party Here In Agrabah", the Genie welcomes people to the palace to witness the marriage ceremony of Aladdin and Jasmine.
- In "Welcome to the Forthy Theives", the forty theives congratulate Aladdin on becoming their newest member after his father takes him to their hide-out.
- "Welcome" from Brother Bear is sung by the protagonist's new bear "family" when he makes it to their fishing spot.