"Willkommen, bienvenue, welcomeA character in a musical enters a new place and is welcomed in song by the residents. May also serve as a Setting Introduction Song.
Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret!"
Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret!"
— "Wilkommen", Cabaret
Examples:Theatre and Musicals
- In Annie, Mr. Warbucks' servants welcome Annie to her new home with song and dance, and she sings her reaction: "I Think I'm Going to Like It Here."
- "Welcome to the Theatre" from Applause, The Musical of All About Eve.
- "Wilkommen" is the opening song of Cabaret.
- In Oliver!, the boys sing "Consider Yourself" to welcome Oliver into their gang. It's peppy enough to make you forget it's about living on the street through petty theft.
- "Iowa Stubborn" from The Music Man, in which the inhabitants of River City sing about how they're all Jerkasses,
"But what the heck, you're welcome,Join us at the picnic.You can eat your fillOf all the food you bring yourself."
- Tommy has both "Tommy's Holiday Camp" and "Welcome".
- The Rocky Horror Show (and the film, The Rocky Horror Picture Show) has Brad and Janet welcomed to the Castle with the Time Warp. That said, the song isn't about welcoming them, nor does it seem to be about anything but the dance that goes with it. It would be a Big Lipped Alligator Moment if it weren't for the fact that it's just that kind of show.
- Sweet Transvestite. the song played immediately after this, plays the trope more straight. Frank welcomes Brad and Janet to stay for the night.
- Les MisÚrables has the crooked innkeeper Thenardier singing "Master of the House" to welcome new guests to his inn...with plenty of asides about how he intends to fleece them for everything they've got.
- "Lovely Ladies" is an even darker version, about prostitutes out on the street waiting to meet sailors coming in to the harbor and a little later welcoming Fantine to join their ranks.
- Lestat has two: "In Paris" in act one, and "Welcome To the New World" in act two.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory crosses this with an "I Am Great!" Song — and, suspicously, the glamorous style of a Villain Song — at the end of Act One as Willy Wonka greets the Golden Ticket winners at the door to his factory with "It Must Be Believed to Be Seen".
- The Musical of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels has "Here I Am," Christine's introduction to the Riviera.
- Shrek The Musical has "Welcome to Duloc/What's Up, Duloc?" when Shrek and Donkey first arrive in Duloc.
- Fun Home "Welcome to Our House on Maple Street" as they clean and tidy the house for a visitor.
- In The Wizard of Oz, after the Munchkins have finished singing about how happy they are that Dorothy has killed the Witch, they sing "We Welcome You to Munchkin Land".
- In Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The singing dolls sings a welcome song in the entrance of the Wonka factory.
- "Be Our Guest" from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
- The Pebble and the Penguin has an unhappy example in "Welcome to the Good Ship Misery".
- Aladdin and the King of Thieves:
- In "There's A Party Here In Agrabah", the Genie welcomes people to the palace to witness the marriage ceremony of Aladdin and Jasmine.
- In "Welcome to the Forty Thieves", the forty thieves congratulate Aladdin on becoming their newest member after his father takes him to their hide-out.
- "Welcome" from Brother Bear is sung by the protagonist's new bear "family" when he makes it to their fishing spot.
- "Welcome Home" by King Diamond is a song welcoming home the narrator's grandmother after a stay in Bedlam House.
- One of the songs in the Redwall novel Taggerung is a song about welcoming a son home. Here it is sung in the audiobook.
- In How Much for Just the Planet?, The Direidians sing a Crowd Song to welcome the Federation and Klingon delegations, with lyrics that betray a certain ambivalence.
We've been on pins and needles
Since you first appeared
We hope you don't have plans to
Do anything weird
- Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room
Welcome to our tropical hideaway, you lucky people you
If we weren't in the show, starting right away, we'd be in the audience too
- In the episode "King Nogburt's Castle" of The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin, the entire castle staff sings a song about how "the kingdom of King Nogburt officially welcomes you!"
- "This House Is Freakin' Sweet" from an episode of Family Guy: the Griffins inherit a mansion, all the mansion's staff sings a song welcoming to their new lifestyle. The song's a parody/Suspiciously Similar Song to the welcoming song "I Think I'm Going to Like it Here" from Annie.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "A Friend in Deed", Pinkie Pie welcomes Cranky Doodle Donkey with her Welcome Song.