The series stars Jim Carrey, Frank Langella, Judy Greer, Cole Allen, Juliet Morris, and Catherine Keener and marks the second collaboration between director and executive producer Michel Gondry and Carrey, who previously worked together on the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. On October 10, 2018, it was announced that Showtime had renewed the series for a second season.
The series follows Jeff Piccirillo, who plays the children's television presenter Mr. Pickles and has to face a difficult family life and personal problems.
Tropes Associated With Kidding
- Actor Allusion: Not Catherine Keener's first time on a children's show where the host has problems.
- Adult Fear: Dealing with the loss of a child.
- As Himself: Tara Lipinski appears as herself for a few episodes.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Mr Pickles-San says "Stop! Stop! Stop!" as Deirdre bullies him into sex, but the story doesn't treat it as a big deal.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Leaning more towards the bleaker end of the scale due to it being about Mr. Pickles struggling to understand the difficult aspects of life.
- Stepford Smiler: Jeff keeps his Mr. Pickles persona on at all times while suppressing his darker emotions.