Keeping Up with the Kardashians is an American reality show that has been airing on E! since October 14, 2007. The series stars the Kardashian/Jenner family: Kim, Kourtney, Khloé and Rob Kardashian, their mother Kris Jenner, their half-siblings, Kendall and Kylie Jenner, and their step-mother Caitlyn Jenner, known as Bruce for the majority of the series and its spin-offs.note
If you haven't seen the show, you might have at least heard about it. It's the show starring people who are "famous for being famous" (except for Caitlyn Jenner, being a former Olympian.) There's actually a little more to the show than that.
The show has received negative reviews from critics since it's often criticized for centering around people with aforementioned "fame for fame's sake", as well as some of the storylines being staged, and for the stupidity in the content, like most reality shows. Despite the negative reviews, KUTWK has attracted high viewership ratings, becoming one of E!'s most successful shows, and nevertheless is considered a "guilty pleasure".
- The Alcoholic: Part of Kourtney's arc is her fluctuating relationship with Scott, due to his alcoholism. His seeming refusal to seek treatment is why she ultimately called off their relationship amid concerns for their children.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Rob casually tells his family the morning before their celebrity wrestling matches.
- Ambiguously Gay: In the context of the show, and in media, no one is sure if Kim's friend, Jonathan Cheban, is gay or not. There was even an episode dedicated to the stars being confused about it.
- Attention Whore: Kris Jenner, and her family is not oblivious about it. She once wanted to change her name back to Kardashian to capitalize on the Kardashian brand, even though it clearly hurt her husband. Kris also had tons of Jenners Olympic memorabilia decorating her office when she was famous, but now has her daughters everywhere. It takes a long calling-out on her selfishness by Khloé for her to realize how negative her behavior was. Kim also shows shades of her mother's attention-seeking.
- But of course, all members of the family have a shorthand of being attention whores. They are reality tv stars, publicity seeking is part of the job after all.
- Breakout Character:
- The younger sisters (Kylie and Kendall) are gaining a fanbase and hosted the MMVA's - despite being 16 and 18 respectively. At this point, Kendall is second only to Kim in fame.
- Since coming out as transgender, Caitlyn Jenner is now considered the most recognized transgender celebrity in the world.
- Brick Joke: And on Twitter, Kim delivers Kourtney's line back to her when she has a similar problem.
- Closer to Earth: Inverted with Kris and her spouse; their relationship is comparable to Hank and Peggy Hill, where the wife's ego holds back her senses.
- Deadpan Snarker: Scott Disick and Khloé Kardashian are the most prominent. Kourtney Kardashian and Caitlyn (Bruce) Jenner to a lesser extent. Pretty much everyone has snarked at one point or another.
- Family Theme Naming: All of the Kardashian and Jenner daughters have names that start with K to match their mom, Kris, while Rob is named after his dad, Robert Kardashian Sr. (yes, the one involved in the O.J. Simpson trial). When she chose her name, Caitlyn kept the hard consonant sound but spells hers with a C.
- My Nayme Is: Kourtney and Khloé are just "Courtney" and "Chloe" spelled with a K to fit with the "K" theme.
- Fleeting Passionate Hobbies: Scott Disick has a new hobby almost every episode. From piano, dirt bikes, karate, you name it, he's tried it.
- The Ghost: Although Kim's daughter is mentioned, she never appears on the show, as Kanye West initially wouldn't allow it, but she later appears in more recent episodes as a toddler. It remains to be seen if her son will appear as well.
- Glory Days: Caitlyn (Bruce) shows signs over not being as famous as she once was. The fact that her wife latched onto the fame of her daughters is just rubbing salt in her wounds.
- Jerkass with a Heart of Gold: Khloé; among everyone in her family she appears to be the least attention seeking member of the family.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: There's Kim, Khloé, and Kourtney. They have a brother named Rob, two half-sisters named Kendall and Kylie. The number caps off at ten if you add in Caitlyn (Bruce)s other kids from previous marriages, Burt, Brody, Sam, and Casey.
- No Sympathy: Kim's given no sympathy from Kourtney when she loses her (insanely expensive) earring in the ocean and bursts into tears, giving her the now-famous line, "Kim, there's people that are dying."
- Narcissist: Kim and Kris are the most prominent. Notably, Kim was chastised by her mother for taking selfies while her sister was going to jail.
- Quirky Household: Kris can be a bit of an egotist, Kim's misadventures and sex tape are infamous, Rob has no problem mentioning his masturbation in front of his family, and the family is still very close-knit.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Khloé points out her mom's ego and fame-seeking attitude, and how she's practically casting her spouse away to latch onto her daughters. Kris is moved to tears.
- Spin-Off: Kourtney and Khloé; Take Miami, Kourtney and Kim Take New York, Khloé & Lamar, Kourtney and Khloé Take the Hamptons, I Am Cait, Rob and Chyna, and Life of Kylie.
- Serial Spouse: Kim's storyline during the beginning of the show, until Kanye West.
- Tangled Family Tree: A mild case, keeping in line with the above Quirky Household. The spin-off Rob and Chyna, featuring Rob and his girlfriend Blac Chyna, who's pregnant with his child. She also happens to be the ex-partner of Tyga, who is Kylie's boyfriend. While it's not really mentioned on any of the shows, she and Tyga also have a child together before they broke up. To put in simpler words, Rob is dating the ex-girlfriend of his half-sister's boyfriend.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Kylie pole-dancing in the pilot episode. At age eleven.
- Your Cheating Heart: About as many cheating scandals as people in the family.
- Kris has discussed her infidelity in her marriage to Rob Kardashian, Sr.
- Less than a year into their relationship, Scott cheated on Kourtney with his ex, prompting her to go down to Miami as a single woman.
- Rob cheated on Adrian Bailon. Then, Rita Ora cheated on him. Years later, he was cheated on again by Blac Chyna and even posted videos of her with another guy on Instagram.
- Khloé's in particular are so infamous, she has been dubbed as being unlucky in love. Her first marriage to Lamar Odom ended when she learned that he cheated. Her second relationship with Tristan Thompson, whom she has a child with, gained particular notoriety because both photo and video footage of Thompson cheating came out... just days before Khloé was due to give birth.