Keeping Up with the Kardashians is an American reality show that has been airing on E! since October 14, 2007. The series stars the Kardashian/Jenner family: Kim, Kourtney, Khloé and Rob Kardashian, their mother Kris Jenner, their half-siblings, Kendall and Kylie Jenner, and their step-mother Caitlyn Jenner, known as Bruce for the majority of the series and its spin-offs.note
If you haven't seen the show, you might have at least heard about it. It's the show starring people who are "famous for being famous" (except for Caitlyn Jenner, being a former Olympian). There's actually a little more to the show than that.
The show has received negative reviews from critics since it's often criticized for centering around people with aforementioned "fame for fame's sake", as well as some of the storylines being staged, and for the stupidity in the content, like most reality shows. Despite the negative reviews, KUTWK has attracted high viewership ratings, becoming one of E!'s most successful shows, and nevertheless is considered a "guilty pleasure".
- The Alcoholic: Part of Kourtney's arc is her fluctuating relationship with Scott, due to his alcoholism. His seeming refusal to seek treatment is why she ultimately called off their relationship amid concerns for their children.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Rob casually tells his family the morning before their celebrity wrestling matches.
- Ambiguously Gay: In the context of the show, and in media, no one is sure if Kim's friend, Jonathan Cheban, is gay or not. There was even an episode dedicated to the stars being confused about it.
- Appeal to Worse Problems: When Kim is upset over losing an expensive earring in the ocean, Kourtney says "Kim, there's people that are dying".
- Attention Whore: Kris Jenner, and her family is not oblivious about it. She once wanted to change her name back to Kardashian to capitalize on the Kardashian brand, even though it clearly hurt her husband. Kris also had tons of Jenners Olympic memorabilia decorating her office when she was famous, but now has her daughters everywhere. It takes a long calling-out on her selfishness by Khloé for her to realize how negative her behavior was. Kim also shows shades of her mother's attention-seeking.
- But of course, all members of the family have a shorthand of being attention whores. They are reality tv stars, publicity seeking is part of the job after all.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Kylie.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: Kim is the beauty, Kourtney is the brain and Khloé is the brawn.
- Big Fancy House: While their home from the earlier seasons was quite big and nice (it also had a pool), as the successes of both the show and the family's careers progress, they started moving into a bigger mansion and the successes got so big that all of them had their own mansions. Some of them, like Kylie, even have multiple mansions.
- Breakout Character:
- The younger sisters (Kylie and Kendall) are gaining a fanbase and hosted the MMVA's - despite being 16 and 18 respectively. At this point, Kendall is second only to Kim in fame.
- Since coming out as transgender, Caitlyn Jenner is now considered the most recognized transgender celebrity in the world.
- Brick Joke: And on Twitter, Kim delivers Kourtney's line back to her when she has a similar problem.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Kim may be selfish, immature and shallow and is not exactly famous for being clever. Nevertheless, she's a successful businesswoman.
- Chocolate Baby: Khloé is one, according to rumours, because she looks nothing like the rest of the family.
- Closer to Earth: Inverted with Kris and her spouse; their relationship is comparable to Hank and Peggy Hill, where the wife's ego holds back her senses.
- Deadpan Snarker: Scott Disick and Khloé Kardashian are the most prominent. Kourtney Kardashian and Caitlyn (Bruce) Jenner to a lesser extent. Pretty much everyone has snarked at one point or another.
- Family Theme Naming: All of the Kardashian and Jenner daughters have names that start with K to match their mom, Kris, while Rob is named after his dad, Robert Kardashian Sr. (yes, the one involved in the O.J. Simpson trial). When she chose her name, Caitlyn kept the hard consonant sound but spells hers with a C.
- My Nayme Is: Kourtney and Khloé are just "Courtney" and "Chloe" spelled with a K to fit with the "K" theme.
- Fleeting Passionate Hobbies: Scott Disick has a new hobby almost every episode. From piano, dirt bikes, karate, you name it, he's tried it.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- The Ghost: Although Kim's daughter is mentioned, she never appears on the show, as Kanye West initially wouldn't allow it, but she later appears in more recent episodes as a toddler. It remains to be seen if her son will appear as well.
- Glory Days: Caitlyn (Bruce) shows signs over not being as famous as she once was. The fact that her wife latched onto the fame of her daughters is just rubbing salt in her wounds.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Khloé and Malika, who have been best friends for a long time.
- Insufferable Genius: Kourtney.
- Jerkass with a Heart of Gold: Khloé; among everyone in her family she appears to be the least attention seeking member of the family.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: There's Kim, Khloé, and Kourtney. They have a brother named Rob, two half-sisters named Kendall and Kylie. The number caps off at ten if you add in Caitlyn (Bruce)s other kids from previous marriages, Burt, Brody, Sam, and Casey.
- No Sympathy: Kim's given no sympathy from Kourtney when she loses her (insanely expensive) earring in the ocean and bursts into tears, giving her the now-famous line, "Kim, there's people that are dying."
- Narcissist: Kim and Kris are the most prominent. Notably, Kim was chastised by her mother for taking selfies while her sister was going to jail.
- Quirky Household: Kris can be a bit of an egotist, Kim's misadventures and sex tape are infamous, Rob has no problem mentioning his masturbation in front of his family, and the family is still very close-knit.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Khloé points out her mom's ego and fame-seeking attitude, and how she's practically casting her spouse away to latch onto her daughters. Kris is moved to tears.
- Spin-Off: Kourtney and Khloé; Take Miami, Kourtney and Kim Take New York, Khloé & Lamar, Kourtney and Khloé Take the Hamptons, I Am Cait, Rob and Chyna, Life of Kylie, DASH Dolls, and Flip It Like Disick.
- Serial Spouse: Kim's storyline during the beginning of the show, until Kanye West.
- Smug Straight Edge / Holier Than Thou: Kourtney tends to be a little preachy about her gluten-free diet and her "healthy" way of raising her children.
- Tangled Family Tree: A mild case, keeping in line with the above Quirky Household. The spin-off Rob and Chyna, featuring Rob and his girlfriend Blac Chyna, who's pregnant with his child. She also happens to be the ex-partner of Tyga, who is Kylie's boyfriend. While it's not really mentioned on any of the shows, she and Tyga also have a child together before they broke up. To put in simpler words, Rob is dating the ex-girlfriend of his half-sister's boyfriend.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Kylie pole-dancing in the pilot episode. At age eleven.