Katie Morag is a Scottish children's show first broadcast on British children's channel CBeebies in 2013, and is based on the beloved series of picture books by Mairi Hedderwick. It follows the young girl of the title as she lives and learns on the tiny Scottish island of Struay.
The series was released both in English and with a Scottish Gaelic dub.
This show provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Often one at the end of an episode. It is a kid's show, after all.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Liam and Flora are this from time to time, at least in Katie Morag's eyes.
- Book Worm: Katie Morag can frequently be seen carrying a book.
- Catchphrase: For Katie Morag, it's the word 'fabbydoo' to describe anything good. For her mum, it's "Your room's an absolute midden", or some variation thereof.
- Chekhov's Gun: Well, Chekhov's rainbow, in Katie Morag and the Grumpy Grannie.
- Christmas Special: Katie Morag and the New Year Party, though New Year is referred to in the episode by the Scottish term Hogmanay.
- Cool Big Sis: Katie Morag has her moments.
- Doting Grandparent: Granny Island. Granma Mainland has her moments. As does Neilly Beag, though he's not actually related to Katie Morag.
- Fiery Redhead: Katie Morag can be quite headstrong.
- Good Parents: Mr and Mrs McColl.
- Iconic Item: Katie Morag's wellies. As seen in her Costume-Test Montage, she has a lot of pairs of them, and they are the only shoes she ever wears, even when going to a wedding.
- Neilly Beag's red bobble hat, which he's never seen without.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Katie Morag experiences this after she kicks her teddy into the sea in Katie Morag and the Tiresome Ted.
- Nice Shoes: Granma Mainland is characterised by her preference for good shoes.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Granny Island and Granma Mainland.
- It later emerges that Granny Island's real name is Izzy.
- Sibling Rivalry: Katie Morag feels ignored when baby Flora is born, so much so that she kicks her beloved teddy into the sea. She regrets it later.
- Not quite so much that Katie is jealous of baby Flora or annoyed at the attention that she gets (well, a little); it all kicks off when Mum and Dad first arrive home with Flora, and everybody in the village rushes round to take a look at the wee bairn; Katie doesn't mind this too much, but what she really DOES mind is that they won't let her through to get a look at her new little sister!
- Token Minority: Sasha, who appears to be the only non-white person on the island.
- Zany Scheme: Katie Morag has to keep some guests distracted in the episode Katie Morag and the Baking Day Secret.