My Craft is a Minecraft fanfiction by OnTheCobb. The story involves a world based on Minecraft, centering on King_Cobb as he tries to avoid getting himself killed by Zombies, Skeletons, Creepers, and his fellow Crafters. Also, everyone is more experienced than him.
Hopefully, he can survive through all these threats and definitely not repeatedly get himself involved in dangerous, life-threatening situations. Definitely not happening.
This Minecraft fanfiction contains examples of:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: The Silver Intent and Attila are able to move around in Nitebanes EXP factories, which double as sewers.
- A God Am I: Due to being the only people who possess powers, this is the general mindset of a Hacker.
- Akashic Records: The name of the largest library in Minecraftia, located in Akasha.
- All-Loving Hero: Noman. He believes everyone deserves to live, even his enemies.
- The Atoner: Floyd wants to make up to Soul for Silent's death.
- An Axe to Grind: Souls weapon of choice.
- Badass Crew: The Paragons. They eradicated an entire Cult division before the story began.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning Mr. Piggles death to Carys.
- Bilingual Bonus: Most of the Artifacts names are rough translations of their abilities in several languages. Only the Severe Shield and the Endabou are the exceptions to this.
- The Yanhua Gong translates to Fireworks Bow in Chinese.
- The Voda Shlem translates to Water Helmet in Bulgarian.
- The Bottes Zephyr translates to Zephyr Boots in French.
- The Vivlio Zythopoiias translates to Brewery Book in Greek.
- The Destierro del Palillo translates to Stick of Banishment (actually, Banishment of the Little Stick, but hey) in Spanish.
- The Stivali Magma translates to Magma Boots in Italian.
- The Articum Arma translates to Artic Boots in Latin.
- Book Burning exaggerated. The first Akashic Records was burned down this way by the Anti-Cult Committee. They also managed to find and burn down the second Akashic Records.
- Bond One-Liner: Defied by Soul in Chapter 79. He settles for a high-five by Cobb instead.
- Bus Crash: Subverted. Floyd was stated to be dead after being Put on a Bus, but ended up surviving his encounter with Teal and later returns to the story proper during the Creeper Infestation Arc.
- Black-Tie Infiltration: Noman infiltrates a Family auction to have a chance to get the Voda Shlem. He does this by using a Potion of Invisibility to bypass the guards, and later pretends to be a member of one of the Families attending it.
- Casanova Wannabe: Abyssmal of the Endward Cult.
- Language! whenever someone curses in front of Noman.
- Comparators is a common expletive said by Lenz.
- Contrived Coincidence: Lenz wishes to go to Zeppil to obtain an airship, and Floyd also has a Silver Intent mission in the same Kingdom, so the Beginners are able to stick together. This ends up being lampshaded by Cobb.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: How the Hackers Regeneration aspect works. A standard Hacker believes that they are invincible, and thus have Regeneration as one of their powers to reflect that. Conversely, if they start to think that they are mortal after all, their Regeneration fails in turn.
- Clucking Funny: Fifty Shades Of Chicken, which involves a man named Bryan trying to propose his girlfriend Hennifer.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Each Kingdom has a specific color, usually seen on the caps of Kingdom Guards.
- Cowardly Lion: Lenz, at first. He insists that he is weak and needs to fall behind someone he deems as strong. Nevermind that he stayed behind to fight for Halstatt even when nothings stopping him from leaving, and that later in the battle itself dragged and protected an unconscious Solara from Griefers across the village despite telling himself leaving her to die was the better option.
- Crapsack World: Minecraftia is a world full of many things trying to kill you, such as Mobs, fall height, lava, and other Crafters such as Cultists. Additionally, Minecraftia has a huge border that surrounds it like a dome, and anyone who crosses the border will instantly get vaporized and die.
- Cult: The Endward Cult, natch.
- Cutting the Knot: Cobb and Lenz encounter Jebs Door, the quickest way to exit the Stronghold theyre currently in. However, it can only be opened by creating a ten-digit combination from over fifty levers. Cobb simply destroys the stone brick door with his pickaxe, to Lenz dismay.
- Decapitated Army: Justified. The Griefers are only banding together because a Hacker was leading them. Cobb killing and presenting his head to them sends a message that he is NOT to be threatened.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Wynn is nothing but incredibly hostile to Cobb when they first meet, but eventually learns to accept him as an equal.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Cobb and Floyd unknowingly kill Carys beloved pig Mr. Piggles. What does she do? Attempt to kill them and later issue wanted posters of them that falsely list them as Endward Cult Executive and Lieutenant respectively after she claims Nitebane.
- Distinguishing Mark: Hackers are also identified with lines over their eyes (including Floyd), though not everyone knows this. The people who recognize the Hacker marks either have regular experience with a Hacker or are Hackers themselves.
- A Dog Named "Dog":
- Carys had a pig called Mr. Piggles.
- Soul names his new cat (after killing its previous owner) Cat-Face.
- Door Stopper: As of this current writing, My Craft has spanned over 1, 423, 000 words over 153 chapters.
- Dramedy: While the series is tagged as an Adventure/Comedy, there are enough instances of dramatic tension to qualify for this trope.
- The Dreaded: Hackers.
- Elective Mute: Spark prefers not to speak for unstated reasons. Instead, she communicates through the usage of books.
- Epic Fail: Cobb was tasked to make a set of sticks. Instead, he ended up making wooden slabs, a button, and a pressure plate before Helena has to step in and help him.Helena: Now, see, when I said you were smart, I actually meant it.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Ember frequently attracts both men and women.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Entity 303 and Null are the most powerful of the Hackers, and have deep voices to match.
- Extremely Short Timespan: By the time the main characters arrive in Akasha (Chapter 143), the story has only spanned about five months.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Zeppil is rather obviously inspired by China, with curved roofs and its citizens following a Chinese Theme Naming.
- The Farmer and the Viper: Cobb saves Nephrait, who was chasing them, from being killed by a bunch of Zombie Pigmen. As thanks, she knocks him out and sends him to The Pit.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Cobb and Floyd initially form a temporary alliance planned to last until they get to Ringwood, but it turns into genuine friendship after fighting and surviving Carys.
- In the same vein, Lenz and Cobb never really got along before having to survive The End dimension.
- When Wynn tells Cobb about the classifications of the types of people in Minecraftia, she describes Crafters, Newbs, Griefers and Jibbermen, but oddly leaves out a group. This group is later confirmed to be Hackers, which are generally considered The Dreaded amongst every citizen in Minecraftia.
- The reveal that any ties to or possession of Herobrines books are considered illegal has been hinted at multiple times in the story.
- Wynn becomes quiet and hesitant once Cobb reveals where he obtained his knowledge of blocking Creeper explosions with a sword. She excuses this by saying that shes thinking about how the other guards would react to knowing that Cobb learnt valuable knowledge from a book. Wynn also agrees to keep the entire thing secret, despite the chance of giving Cobb some payback by ruining his heroic moment.
- When Hunderprest rummages through his Inventory for valuable items, there was a certain item he had found that makes him confiscate his entire Inventory
- When Cobb, Jade, Lenz and Floyd sat in an interrogation room after the events of The Review, Enyeto notes that Lenz and Cobbs Inventories are almost confiscated, but Alaqua trusted them enough to convince the higher-ups to return them.
- Founder of the Kingdom: The first 10 Crafters founded and were the first rulers of the Ten Kingdoms.
- Fun with Acronyms: Nation that Enjoys Redstone Despite Scorn, or NERDS for short.
- Ghost Town: Common amongst Akashas villages, due to the Hackers that took over the Kingdom.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: Notchs mission for the Billionth is to gather all nine artifacts to gain an edge against the Endward Cult.
- Great Big Library of Everything: The Akashic Records. Or at least, the first Akashic Records were this, until it was burnt down by the Anti-Cult Committee because Alexicon defied them.
- Groin Attack: Often used. Its even one of the things Wynn is most infamous for.
- Had to Be Sharp: Surviving in Nitebane, considered the Griefer capital of Minecraftia and is currently ruled by a Hacker, and where whenever youre spotted by Griefers you will be attacked, requires one to be this trope.
- Healing Factor: A common Hacker power. Its also the only reason how Alec survived Lenz trap.
- Heroic RRoD: Floyd can only activate his Hacker powers for only 30 seconds, and collapses to numbness right after that. He aims to get better at it.
- Improbable Weapon User: Cobb uses a fishing rod as part of his main repertoire, much to the dismay of skilled fighters like Wynn.
- Inner Monologue: Very frequently, as the story is mainly told through first-person view, although spanning through multiple characters.
- Instantly Proven Wrong: Wynn insists that Cobb is a dangerous criminal and a force to be reckoned with. He immediately disproves her by overreacting to a bat. Floyd thinks he invoked this trope to seem less threatening, but Cobb is actually genuinely frightened by it.
- It Tastes Like Feet: According to Cobb, Hacker smoke tastes like Spider Eyes and Rotten Flesh.
- Knife Nut: Dagger users, such as Leadstripe and Z7.
- Large and in Charge: Captain XoX of Exter is described as a mountainous man.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Cobb tries to ask You and What Army?, but Brain stops him.Cobb: Yeah? You and what armmmmm
Brain: Are you fucking stupid!? You never ask 'You and what army!' That's like that's like up and asking for an army to show up!
Brain: I know! That's what I said!
- Last Stand: The residents of Halstatt decide to defend their village against Alec and his oncoming Griefer Army.
- Lethal Lava Land: Exter has a unique biome that has lava pools scattered across rocky wastelands.
- Like Brother and Sister: Cobb and Wynn even if it does not seem like it at times. Cobb admits at one point that he sees Wynn as a sister.
- Limited Wardrobe: Crafters can make articles of their clothing disappear and reappear at will, but one is not able to change the clothing youre spawned in.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Around a billion people have spawned in Minecraftia by the time the story begins. In the story itself, a new set of characters appear every arc, which eventually culminates to over 50 named characters.
- Long-Range Fighter: Anyone in the story whos an archer.
- Magical Eye:
- A Hackers sclerae turns black once they activate their Hacker powers.
- After defeating the End Dragon, Herobrine gains high-beam eyes that contain Command Block codes.
- Manipulative Bastard: Brett, who even says that manipulation is similar to brewing potions. He sees Floyds guilt over Silents death as an opportunity to invest in Floyds loyalty to the Silver Intent. He later gives the location of an Endward Cult outpost to Cobb and agrees to his request not to tell anyone, even if it may get him killed.
- Melting-Pot Nomenclature: Most Kingdoms have a Theme Naming of its residents (such as Native American names for Jolin), but while most of Akashas citizens have Hindi names, we have Alexicon (a lexicon, where lexicon is of Greek origin), Arquero (Spanish for archer), McGahn (American) and Casimir (English variation of the polish Kazimierz).
- Merit Badges for Everything: Name anything, and its likely the Scouts will have a badge for that. They even have a badge for burning down the badge book.
- Mundane Luxury: Meat and fish are considered as this to Nitebanes skyscraper communities, whose diet is primarily either stale bread or mushroom soup.
- Mugging the Monster: The Snow Golems attempt to rob Carys, assuming that she is a daintly woman alone in the snow. Naturally, they all got themselves killed.
- Named Weapons: The Yanhua Gong is the only one of the Artifacts that is a straightforward weapon.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: The Angel of Death.
- Nerds Are Sexy: After the Battle at Halstatt, both Solara and Cosmic show attraction to Lenz.
- No Badass to His Valet: Despite even her own guild being intimidated by her, Baltic is the only one capable of standing up to Carys with minimal repercussions.
- No Indoor Voice: Iron_Lung.
- Noodle Implements: Cobbs plan C to reach Floyd in Ringwood involves half a dozen spoons, paper mache, and a bird suit before realizing that they may not exist in Minecraftia.
- Not Always Evil: What Kalmarin and Floyd seek to prove.
- Not What It Looks Like: Wynns guards visit Cobbs room only to be greeted with the sight of their Captain, straddling a man she brought along in her mission, in his own room, right by the bed, and concluded with a personal question about whether or not he thought she was a lesbian.
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: Wynn praises Cobb on honoring the deal that hed not get himself into trouble and be at his bed by midnight, not knowing that Cobb very nearly broke that promise by going into another dimension.
- Oblivious to Love: Cobb, in regards to Erins affections. The same can be said to Wynn about Veronicas.
- Official Couple: Jade and Cobb.
- Our Founder: Notch has a statue at the Crystal Catacombs.
- Parodies for Dummies: How To Kill Stuff For Numb Nuts.
- Pig Latin: Springs colleagues try to use this to warn him that 4Blites right behind him, to no avail.
- A Rare Sentence: Soul, in Chapter 79.Soul: Anyway, if you have time to look at animals, you have time to burn down forests... Never thought I'd say that.
- Really 700 Years Old: Crafters dont age, and are effectively immortal as long as nothings trying to kill you. Wynn, in particular, states herself to have been in Minecraftia for around 350 years.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Bitters gives one to Cobb before he raids an Endward Cult Outpost.
- Red Baron: Veronica, as the Golden Hawk of Daymonte and any variations thereof. Later on, it was revealed that the top archers of the former guild Birds of Prey, which Veronica was part of, received a moniker from their hair color and their bird of choice.
- Reincarnate in Another World: Herobrines theory about the true nature of Crafters is essentially this: they were formerly people from a distant realm who ended up at the Void, and eventually Minecraftia, after death. He reasons that this also explains the existence of Normal Sense despite having no memories upon spawning. He also believes that once they die, they would be sent into another world with its own rules and natural laws.
- Retcon: The Looting III sword that Leadstripe stole from Maplefrosts Auction was originally gold before being changed to diamond 3 years later.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Cobb attempts to do this to an Endward Cult outpost after Floyd was supposedly killed.
- Roundhouse Kick: Soul performs a passable one while fighting an invisible Cultist.
- Rousing Speech: Noman uses one in an attempt to convince the citizens of Akasha to fight against the Anti-Cult Committee. It doesnt work.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Princess Alaqua wants and has attempted several times to abolish the Law of Desideratum, a law which allows the bounty-hunters to take advantage of the citizens of Jolin.
- Scout-Out: The Scouts, one of the top three guilds.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Ten cultists ready their weapons on Cobb and Soul. Soul claims that he faced worse... only for the ten cultists to down Invisibility potions.Cobb: Run?
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: Both Noman and Ciro went through a lot of trouble for the Voda Shlem in Dover Plains. Turns out that Maplefrost faked the artifact all along in order to get emeralds for auctioning it.
- Sinister Scythe: Carys gains one before starting Operation: Overshadow.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: A lot of the characters, but most notably Soul.
- Shipper on Deck: Wynns guards. They are split into two groups, however: one that ships Wynn with fellow captain Veronica, and the other who prefers she be with Cobb instead.
Cobb: [after Lenz claims that only fluffed the Outhouse up a smidge] A SMIDGE!? You completely redecorated everything! This is way past overboard! This is throwing a passenger off the ship, only to find out an iceberg is about to hit, sending all the passengers overboard! It's that overboard!
- When Cobb shouts at Lenz about the existence of the Inhouse in Chapter 82:
- When Wynn tries to wake Cobb up in Chapter 85, he mutters that the cake is a lie in his sleep.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The Yanhua Gong shoots out arrows that spawns 4 blocks of primed TNT on the block it lands in.
- Stylistic Suck: Fifty Shades of Chicken. It's nothing like its namesake.
- Super Speed: Floyds Hack.
- Switching P.O.V.: The story is primarily told through first-person view, but regularly switches perspectives to multiple characters per chapter. The characters who get focused on vary in importance, from minor characters and supporting cast members to protagonists and even the villains.
- Technical Pacifist: Downplayed. Noman tries to avoid violence and murder if possible, but he has no problem with knocking enemies out cold with his shield.
- Thought They Knew Already: Spring reveals to Cobb and Soul that the secret of how they push Creepers towards Ringwood was because they were exploiting the Creepers' fear of Cats, on the assumption that they already figured it out. Parker reacted appropriately.
- Triang Relations: Type 4 with Erin at A, Cobb at B, and Jade at C.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: Tinker is the only Crafter capable of creating rapiers, battleaxes, cleavers, longswords, warhammers, shurikens, and daggers.
- The Unpronounceable: Jibbermens names. Justified, since Jibbermen took too long to name themselves.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Since most Hackers rely on their powers working for them to be a huge threat, they lack any skills in an actual fight. Best exemplified when Wynn notes that Alec is a terrible swordfighter.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: The student behind the Tragedy of Nitebane decided to share what he and Herobrine had studied about a painting. Herobrine advised him not to and kept the Wither Skeleton heads for safekeeping, but the student brought his own to a class. He ended up creating The Wither, which then laid waste into the Kingdom before Notch stops it.
- Waif-Fu: Attila is noted to be incredibly young and petite, yet she is able to single-handedly fight off Soul with only a Potion of Swiftness and a few blocks of TNT.
- Weapons Kitchen Sink: Minecraftias inclusion of a few weapons from the Tinkers mod makes it this trope. The new weapons include rapiers, longswords, cleavers, scythes, battleaxes, daggers, shurikens and warhammers.
- White Hair, Black Heart: 4Blite, who is the most ruthless of the Endward Cult higher-ups.
- White Sheep: Kalmarin and later Floyd, of the Hackers.
- Who's on First?: Jade tries to tell Cobb and Noman that the creature of the Wailing Vale myths is actually a Ghast, but the two men keep misinterpreting her.Jade: the spirit Ghast
Cobb: Gas ?
Jade: (shakes head) Ghast Ghast
Cobb: You have gas?
[Jade makes a low keening noise]
Cobb: Don't worry, Jade. Once we're back on the surface we can take care of your uh gastronomic distress.
Jade: Ghast you idiot
Noman: She must have an upset tummy. Try massaging her belly. That usually works.
Cobb: Good thinking, Noman!
[Jade makes another noise of frustration, and Cobb proceeds to massage her belly.]
Jade: The spirit is a Ghast (faints)
Noman: The spirit is aghast? Shouldn't we be more aghast? It's been attacking us in these mines.
- You and What Army?: Played With, and combined with Last-Second Word Swap. Cobb stops himself from saying the full phrase, but Spring and Parker decide to reveal the hidden cultists anyway.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Multiple characters. Most notable are the green-haired Jade, the white-haired Wynn, and Floyd, who actually has blue hair.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: Soul gains a cat after killing its previous owner.