open/close all folders
- Break the Cutie: Happens during the scene where Dennis is with Arnie in Christine and Arnie being under Christine's influence.
- Career-Ending Injury: He suffers a leg injury that forces him to retire from football.
- Failure Hero: Although he crushes Christine with a bulldozer, he fails to rescue Arnie who is killed by going through the windshield and will most likely never get over it. Even worse, it appears that Christine will rebuild herself at the end.
- Hero Antagonist: To Arnie and Christines Villain Protagonists.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Arnie.
- Lovable Jock: Although Dennis is far from perfect, he's generally a nice guy who's a friend and protector to Arnie.
- Nice Guy: Dennis's likability makes it believable that he is best friends with Arnie and helps to pity him after Arnie stops hanging out with him.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Dennis starts out as Manly Man to Arnie's sensitive guy but then changes to sensitive man while recuperating from a football injury.
- Adaptational Villainy: The movie cuts out the part where he fights off Le Bay's possession of him and has him directly battle with Dennis and Leigh.
- Adrenaline Makeover
- And I Must Scream: Strongly implied in the book in particular, as a couple of scenes show him attempting to fight off LeBay's influence before his 'passenger' takes over, leaving it open-ended just how aware Arnie is of what he's doing under the influence.
- Badass Driver: Depending on how much control he has of Christine on his own merits and how much is just her.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Towards Leigh.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Christine and Lebay.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Dennis.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope
- Looks Like Cesare: Arnie has this appearance when driving Christine in the climax before crashing through the windshield.
- Morality Pet: Dennis tries to be this to Arnie.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Arnie starts out as sensitive man to Dennis's manly man but then changes to manly man from Christine's influence.
- Smug Snake: Arnie has shades of this when he visits Dennis at the hospital for the 2nd time as he's obviously looking down on him.
- Teens Are Monsters
- Tragic Villain
- Villain Protagonist: Shares this role with Christine.
- Yandere: For Christine.
- Asshole Victim: He's killed by Christine, he deserved it for being a cruel bully.
- The Bully
- Even Evil Has Standards: Combined with Hypocritical Humor. He makes a racist joke about school basketball star Lenny Barongg, but when Bobby Stanton makes another, he admonishes him.
- Jerk Jock
- Oh, Crap!: In the film upon seeing the garage go up in a fireball.
- Not So Stoic: Any fight in him is deflated after watching one of his friends get crushed and another blown up.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Bolts after seeing Christine back out of the blown-up garage on fire, tossing his pry bar aside. He doesn't get far.
- Teens Are Monsters
Roland D. Lebay