Eric "Cat" ChantA young boy who goes with his sister to live with Chrestomanci in Chrestomanci Castle after their parents died in a boat accident. A very timid boy who is mostly clueless to the events going on around him.
- Achilles' Heel: Cannot do magic with his right hand.
- Cats Have Nine Lives: The reason Gwendolen gave Cat his nickname; He takes it as a joke for a while, but she meant it literally.
- Locked Out of the Loop: No one tells Cat anything in Charmed Life because they're afraid of what he might do.
- The Southpaw: He is left-handed.
Gwendolen ChantCat's bossy, egotistical, and cruel magic-using older sister.
- Cain and Abel: Gwendolen is Cain.
- Cute and Psycho: a pretty girl, but completely fine with killing people.
- Karma Houdini: She escapes into a world where she gets to be Queen before anyone can apprehend her.
- Kick the Morality Pet: Her soft spot for Cat proves to be nothing but a front, as she's cheerfully plotting to sacrifice him on an altar just to get back at Chrestomanci.
- Killing Your Alternate Self: What Gwendolen proposes to do to Janet.
- Sibling Murder: a few times, but luckily Cat has nine lives.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: She was still a child when she stole Cat's lives, frightening her parents enough to write to Chrestomanci.
Janet ChantGwendolen's double from another world without magic, where she lived happily with her parents.
- Alternate Self: She is one of Gwendolen's alternate selves.
- All Girls Like Ponies: A phase she gets over quickly upon encountering an actual horse.
- Evil Twin: Inverted. Janet is a nicer, more grounded version of Gwendolen.
Chrestomanci / Christopher Chant
A nine-lifed enchanter and current Chrestomanci in Charmed Life, Witch Week, The Magicians of Caprona, and The Pinhoe Egg. The Lives of Christopher Chant and Conrad's Fate depict him as a child/adolescent.
- Achilles' Heel: Each Chrestomanci has one. His is silver.
- Birds of a Feather: Christopher and the Goddess.The Goddess: Thank you for telling me about yourself. I think you've had a rotten life, even worse than mine. People only want either of us for what use we are to them — you for your nine lives and me for my Goddess attributes. And both of us are caught and stuck and trapped in a life with a future all planned out by someone else — like a long, long tunnel with no way out!
- The Dandy: Owns an absurd amount of luxurious dressing gowns.
- Former Teen Rebel: Compare Charmed Life to Conrad's Fate.
- Gentleman Snarker
- Gentleman Wizard
- Innocently Insensitive: Often guilty of this when he was younger.
- Morality Pet: As a child, he was this to Tacroy.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: Cannot identify vegetables while attempting to work in a kitchen.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Remarked upon by many.
- The Many Deaths of You: In The Lives of Christopher Chant, a young Christopher loses seven of his lives, many of them to his own foolishness.
Julia ChantChrestomanci and Millie's daughter.
Roger ChantChrestomanci and Millie's son.
Millie Chant / The Goddess / The Living AshethA powerful enchantress. Chrestomanci's wife. As a child, she was raised as the living aspect of the Goddess Asheth in Series Ten.
- Hidden Depths: In Charmed Life, she's introduced as the plain and plump wife of Chrestomanci. Later in the book it's revealed that she's a powerful enchantress in her own right. The Lives of Christopher Chant reveals that she was a Goddess and originally from Series 10. She fled her homeworld to avoid being murdered to make way for a new Living Asheth.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: As the Living Asheth, she's only allowed to leave her temple one day of the year, when she's dressed up and taken through the city in a cart to be battered by worshippers. She longs for the life described in the books Christopher brings her.The Goddess: I want to go to school, like Millie in the Millie books. I want to do Prep and eat stodge and learn French and play hockey and write lines [...] I want to go to school and be bad, do you hear!
- Underestimating Badassery: Cat has no idea that Millie is a powerful enchantress until Janet points it out.
Christopher ChantSee Charmed Life.
The GoddessSee Charmed Life.
Tacroy / Mordecai Roberts
- Ambiguously Brown: He is described as having very curly light brown hair and light brown skin. He is later revealed to come from a different world, and may not even really be human.
- Astral Projection: How he's able to meet Christopher in The Place Between.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Christopher.
- Double Reverse Quadruple Agent
- The Soulless: His soul was detached at birth, as is typical for natives of Series Eleven, by the Dright, a known Soul Eater. Christopher gets it back for him.
Uncle Ralph Argent
- Cunning Like a Fox: Uncle Ralph has a cunning, sharp wit, and is compared to a fox in his introduction.
- Evil Uncle
Gabriel de WittThe Chrestomanci before Christopher. He takes Christopher as a ward after discovering his nine lives.
The Last GovernessThe last governess Christopher has before he is sent to boarding school. She is secretly working for Uncle Ralph and his smuggling ring.
- Beautiful All Along - Christopher notes the Last Governess looks pretty when she smiles around Uncle Ralph.
ThrogmortenAn Asheth Temple Cat Christopher brings back to Series Twelve.
Cosimo ChantChristopher's father.
- Astrologer: Specializes in divination and fortune telling.
- Black Sheep: In disgrace from his family.
- Parental Neglect: Christopher doesn't know what his father looks like for most of his childhood.
Miranda Chant (née Argent)Christopher's mother.
- Accidental Murder: Subverted. He only thought he had.
- Born Unlucky: Or so he's told.
- Spooky Photographs: His photos of a Stairwell Chase show things that weren't there, because he's photographing multiple worlds at the same time.
Antonio "Tonino" Montana
The Duchess / The White Devil
Dulcinea "Nan" Pilgrim
- Evil Orphanage Lady: though not obvious at first