Characters: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Characters from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
open/close all folders
The Anarchy Sisters
I'm back from rockin' out with my cock out! Get this shit: some dude just came up to me and thrust his package in my face!
The blonde angel. Constantly has sex on her mind and will screw just about any man she takes a fancy to. Also very rude to a fault. Can transform her (as well as anyone else's) panties into a gun.
Yummy! I want to make dessert babies with you! You were so worth the two hour wait, my dear Swiss roll! I would rub you all over my body if it weren’t for the yeast. I swear I would!
angel. Absolutely loves sweets and can usually be seen eating a variety of them in the episodes. Often the voice of reason between the pair, having to keep Panty on task (sometimes the other way round). Can turn her stockings into katana.
- Action Girl
- Ambiguously Evil: Is she really a demon like she claimed in the last episode or was she being mind controlled?
- Annoying Younger Sibling
- Anti-Hero: Pragmatic Hero or Unscrupulous Hero.
- Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence
- Badass Adorable: With emphasis on the adorable.
- Badass Driver
- Berserk Button: Stealing her treasured pudding. Or screwing with her ability to eat all she wants without consequence. Or calling her "fleshy". Or cutting her hair.
- Big Damn Heroes: Her entrance in "Bitch Girls".
- Big Eater: She claims that all the fat goes to her boobs.
- Bi the Way: In "High School Nudical", when she and Panty make their big entrance, Panty slaps a bunch of guys' packages while Stocking slaps a bunch of girls' tits.
- Blue Oni
- Bondage Is Bad: Played With, since she has an obvious thing for bondage despite being as close to "good" as this show has. If the whole "I'm a demon" thing is true, however, then it's played straight. In fact, it might have been hinting her true alliance all along.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Panty's Abel in the last episode, when she slices the former to pieces.
- Church Militant
- Covert Pervert: In fact, she only really qualifies as "covert" in comparison to the supernova of sexuality eclipsing her.
- Cute and Psycho
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite her gothic motif, she's nicer and more level-headed than Panty. Barely.
- Deadpan Snarker/Little Miss Snarker: She's not quite as deadpan in Japanese as she is in the English dub, but she's very snarky in both versions.
- Death by Origin Story: With Panty and Chuck if the Ending credits is to be believed.
- Deus Exit Machina: A quite literal one in "Panty + Brief". She's the more responsible one, so without her, Panty has to develop some character. Fast.
- Dual Wielding
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Complete with a Gothic Lolita-themed bedroom and a fondness for sugary treats. To be precise, whilst Stocking's choice of clothing is usually within Gothic Lolita territory, she has been known to appear in lighter Sweet Lolita getups in "Ghost: The Phantom of Daten City" and a Sailor Lolita outfit in "Catfight Club".
- Even the Girls Want Her: Implied as of "High School Nudical".
- Evil All Along: She dices Panty to pieces and reveals she was a demon all along. Or is she?
- Face-Heel Turn: If the Gainax Ending is to be believed, anyway. Time will tell if it sticks.
- Fallen Angel: Shares this with Panty.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The Melancholic.
- Freaky Is Cool: Given that she fell in love with an absolutely repulsive Ghost in "Ghost: The Phantom of Daten City", it also seems that Nausea Fuel is her Fetish Fuel.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Carries around a cat plushie named Honekoneko (literally "Bone Kitty"), which is prone to changing its facial expression (usually mimicking Stocking's) and even licking things, as well as mimicking Stocking's physical condition, such being fat when Stocking is fat in "The Diet Syndrome".
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Is constantly fighting with Panty, who is her utter opposite in terms of their personalities.
- Green Eyes
- Hypocrite: Has a habit of mocking anyone with less than normal sexual habits. For example, in their very first meeting, she calls the demon sisters "bondage-loving skanks". She seems to dig bondage and dated a repulsive-looking Ghost.
- Image Song: "CHOCOLAT". Apparently Gainax didn't let Mariya Ise's singing talent go unused.
- It Amused Me
- Jerkass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Not as bad as Panty, but she has her moments.
- Katanas Are Just Better: And two katanas are even better.
- Master Swordswoman
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: In an interview, Ise divulged that she had once been flashed on a train, noting that while Stocking probably would've made a crack about the size of the flasher's member, she herself couldn't do anything at the time but scream.
- Meaningful Name: Her name is her Weapon of Choice.
- Morph Weapon: She transforms stockings to get her katanas.
- Multicolored Hair: Navy blue over layer with a pink/magenta under layer.
- Named Weapons: Stripes I and II.
- Nightmare Fetishist: She slowly seems to be turning into this.
- No Accounting for Taste: In "Ghost: The Phantom of Daten City" she falls in love with a ghost who is the most absolutely disgusting being around.
- Orgasmically Delicious: She enjoys sweets a bit too much.
- Punch Clock Hero
- Put on a Bus: In "Panty + Brief", she gets sent back to Heaven without Panty. To add insult to injury, Stocking does not physically appear in that episode's 5-second-long OP.
- Rapunzel Hair: It stretches all the way down to her knees.
- Sweet Tooth: The goddess of sweets here in TV Tropes, her X-ray sequence in the intro shows what's in her mind: "Sweets, sweets, sweets, goth, sweets".
- "Sex and the Daten City" shows her maintaining a dessert review blog.
- "The Diet Syndrome"'s Monster of the Week makes unnaturally fattening sweets, via a virus. To say this impacts Stocking's waist line is an understatement.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Tareme Eyes
- Tragic Keepsake: The poop engagement ring she got from the ghost in "Ghost: The Phantom of Danten City" right before he gets sent to Heaven.
- Too Kinky to Torture: When Stocking gets tied up by a pair of Ghosts, she starts blushing and remarks that she "could get used to this." This is also referenced in "1 Angry Ghost", where the girls are being electrocuted. Panty seems to be in pain, but Stocking says the electrocution is "Ecstasy".
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist
- Vapor Wear: So Panty can go Guns Akimbo.
- Weak, but Skilled
- Winds of Destiny, Change: Implied in "The Stripping" to have the power of good luck.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears striped thigh-highs that doubles as swords.
If you don't wanna be stuck here forever, the only option you pathetic excuses for anything resembling angels have is to buy your way back into Heaven with Heaven Coins you collect exterminatin' evil Ghosts! Contrary to popular belief, you are not here to collect men or sugar! So focus and stop actin' like fatass hoes!
A priest who acts as Panty's and Stocking's boss and caretaker during their stay on Earth. Explains the missions to the duo with great gusto despite the fact that the girls are less than enthusiastic about working. All but stated to be gay. He was once a ruthless gangster who was killed, went to heaven, sent back in time, and dropped back on Earth to live through all of history to become a messenger of God.
Chuck. A brainless, green little Butt Monkey of a pet (?) dog, glutton of everything organic and inorganic, and forget motivation - lacking a single meaningful thought whatsoever; his zero awareness causing his destruction in any number of graphic and hilarious ways... Is used by the heavens to transport paper with clues on the whereabouts of the next ghost (via lightningbolts to the noggin of course). Occasionally helps out on the girls' missions. He tends to be physically abused by the two.
- Alien Blood: His blood is violet.
- Badass Driver: Surpassingly skilled at driving Panty and Stocking's car, See-Through. Able to go wheel-to-wheel with an actual speed demon (whether a Ghost-posessed vehicle, or with Fastener).
- Big Eater: Well he would be, except the rest of the cast usually beat him when he makes a grab for their food.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: To the skull. Always (although they are 'actually' messenger bolts, which deliver clues on the next target Ghost).
- Boom, Headshot: Heavenly lightning bolts. Always.
- Butt Monkey: Constantly at the receiving end of... well, everything. From electricutions, punched to death, shot at, etc. And amazingly gets better.
- Car Fu: Has a full-on Car Fu duel with Fastener in "Les Diaboliques" while Stocking and Kneesocks ride shotgun and look pretty bored.
- Chekhov's Gun: Chuck's big zipper.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Full-power Chuck in the final episode, not only unzipping himself, but even able to zip back up the Hellsmouth
- The Chew Toy: Literally the poster boy◊ for this trope. His day starts with a fresh, crisp lightning bolt from the heavens, warms up by being chopped into a couple dozen pieces by either Stocking or Kneesocks, progresses to being run through a blender, and pretty much rolls from there. Electrical outlets, katana, car wheels, bycicles, walls that break his headlong flight...
- Chunky Salsa Rule: Averted; the Salsa is observed once per episode or more.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Complete Immortality: And boy, does he need it...
- Cosmic Plaything: prone to casual, constant, inexplicable, sudden-onset ultra-violence (being inflicted on him), including whenever God feels like playing with lightning
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: When ordered to "get serious" in the first season finale, he unzips and turns inside out to become an enormous hellhound/bull thing. When the final battle is over, he zips Hell's Gate shut.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Sliced with katana into perfect little cubes, blenderized, crushed in a hand till his organs pop out...
- Death by Origin Story: With Panty and Stocking (no title drop pun intended) if the ending credits is to be believed.
- Death from Above
- The Ditz
- Dogs Are Dumb: And yet this one is exceptional... at the art of Obfuscating Stupidity
- Expy: Of GIR from Invader Zim. Zim creator Jhonen Vasquez noticed the similarities right away (stating that he's found his own version of Mr. Sparkle).
- Extreme Omnisexual: Lustful to the point of humping anything with a pulse... or without (Ghost-trains included).
- Extreme Omnivore: From mobile phones to endless copies of Panty's sex tape.
- Gag Penis: Sometimes seen playing with his ...zip, and when deciding to 'get serious', unzips himself
- Harmless Electrocution/High Voltage Death: whenever intel on the next Ghost needs to be conveyed, it is always borne on bolts out of the blue, which unfailingly target Chuck's inflated cranium - even though he's usually inside the much taller church building at the time.
- Iron Butt Monkey: The most indestructible character of the series
- Lightning Reveal: Heaven sends messages via lightning strikes to the skull of Chuck (the actual message is on a slip of paper which falls out of his mouth)
- Ludicrous Gibs: Usually courtesy of Stocking or Kneesocks' katana, or Fastener's blender.
- Made of Plasticine: Squashed and squished and bounced and splattered into a mass of bloody, spongy goo whenever encountering attacking forces, and is able to heal properly.
- Mad Eye: Often the only thing left of him whenever he gets pulped (again).
- Meaningful Name: "Chuck" means "zipper" in Japanese (and in fact, so does "Fastener", the name of Chuck's evil counterpart).
- Mister Muffykins: And boy, does he get murdered for it... (again)
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Played for laughs in "Chuck to the Future", complete with Shout Outs to both T-1000 and Dr. Manhattan. To put that to perspective, his Evil Counterpart and rival Fastener went limp after Chuck opened his zipper and let his brain walk out which doesn't seem to affect Chuck in the least.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- No One Should Survive That: He does('nt).
- Obfuscating Stupidity: the king and master of, and also unsurpassed at combining it with Too Dumb to Live. In "Les Diaboliques", this actually effectively conceals him from the attention of the antagonists, enabling him to reach and SWALLOW UP the shiny, demonic stone, starting a chain of events that leads to the protagonists' victory. Is in fact perfectly capable of reading the situation, co-presenting mission profiles with Garterbelt, understanding his teammates' intentions without verbal or non-verbal cues, precision high-speed driving to screen his teammates from enemy attack or place them into striking position etc...
- Although the intro reveals his cranium as an 'airhead', air is in fact the most intellectual element in astrology. This is reinforced by the association of green with air in Oriental astrology (both Chuck and his intro screen are green).
- One-Winged Angel: He can transform into a titanic horned hellhound◊ by turning himself inside-out.
- Plucky Comic Relief: A (sometimes literal) living basketball.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Yes, both in the same instance. In "Les Diaboliques", when Chuck SWALLOWS UP the Ghoststone and Fastener kicks him repeatedly and rapidly in the gut, Chuck just as rapidly intones his own name... but about four times instead of Chuck says 'fuck'.
- Pokémon Speak: Chuck Chuck Chuck Chuck Chuck Chuck Chuck...
- Small Annoying Creature
- Snap Back: You might kill him all you like...
- Spanner in the Works: By being a mindless little omnivore, led the protagonists to victory in "Les Diaboliques".
- Staying Alive:
- Super Mode: What he turns into during the final battle, via unzipping himself and turning himself inside out...
- Team Pet
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Chopped into a couple dozen pieces, run through a blender, top of skull destroyed bycar wheel.
- They Killed Kenny Again: And again, and again, and again... this is more or less the story of Chuck◊
- Too Dumb to Live
- X-Ray Sparks: Whenever Heaven feels like sending down a bolt on his skull, the contents thereof are revealed (hint: it's air).
You may not believe this, but I'm an expert in the occult! Plus I got this proton pack for my birthday last year and it's awesome!
Dubbed "Geek Boy" by Panty and Stocking, Brief is a rather timid youth that the girls meet during a mission at a high school. His hobby of researching paranormal activity sometimes leads the girls to the ghost of the episode. Helps out the two whenever he can (sometimes unwillingly). Also has a crush on Panty, though she usually ignores him. He is the blood kin of Hell's Monkey, which means the kiss of an angel—Panty, as it were—will allow his penis to act as a key to the Hell's Gate, which locks away a primordial, superpowerful Ghost.
- Adorkable: Yes, he does have his fans.
- Taken Up to Eleven in "Nothing to Room", with his painfully awkward attempts to talk to both Panty and Stocking (and even Chuck).
- Apocalypse Youth: His dick is the key to Hell.
- Arranged Marriage: To Scanty so that the mayor may harness the power of his magical dick. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Awesome McCoolname: BRIEFERS ROCK.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: For his arranged marriage with Scanty, he has to wear a very chic white tuxedo. This also happens to be the moment when he reveals both how handsome and badass he can be.
- Beautiful All Along: When his hair is gelled back, he's actually so cute that Panty doesn't recognize him, and even falls for him.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed
- Bishounen: Who knew?
- Blinding Bangs
- Butt Monkey: At a lesser extent than Chuck, whose Butt Monkey's level is rather... abusive.
- Calling the Old Man Out: His father wants to marry him off to the mayor's daughter. Of course, Brief openly states he'd much rather marry Panty.
- Circumcision Angst: The fact that Panty seems to really hate foreskin isn't helping... or at least, untill she gets to grips with his shotgun.
- Clark Kenting: To Panty, at least. See He Cleans Up Nicely below.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Who knew he had it in him?!
- Deus Sex Machina: He IS one. His Gag Penis unlocks the gates of hell and restores Panty's powers.
- Distressed Dude
- Dogged Nice Guy: It takes something to still love a girl after she attempts to fill you with bullet holes from the inside. It finally pays off for him in Episode 12.
- Afterward, he's still treated more or less the same by Panty, but she stops calling him "Geek Boy" and starts calling him Brief instead, indicating that they may still have retained some closeness.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The Phlegmatic.
- Gag Penis: Implied in "High School Nudical" with the size of his shotgun.
- As fate would have it, his penis is a MacGuffin and is sought out by the Big Bad.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Subverted. When he finally gets some from Panty, his sheer size is actually a source of pain for her. Justified when her hymen was recently restored. The fact that she, an angel, was coming in contact with a Hellish relic might also have played some role in it.
- Green Eyes
- He Cleans Up Nicely: As Briefers Rock, he is so handsome that Panty didn't recognize him until he pointed it out to her!
- I Call Him Mr Happy: He refers to his yin-yang as "Mr. Sticky" in the last episode.
- Love at First Sight: To Panty.
- Love Martyr
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He's most often addressed as "Geek Boy".
- His name "Brief" is also a nickname to his full name, "Briefers Rock".
- Only Sane Man: Sometimes takes up this role.
- Redhead In Green
- Secretly Wealthy: The heir to the Rock Foundation.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: When Panty transforms his underwear in "High School Nudical", it turns into a big pump-action shotgun. Too bad it's a two-pump chump.
- Shout-Out: To Ghostbusters and The Pain. And possibly Leonardo DiCaprio with his hair gelled back.
- Going along with the Ghostbusters shout out, and given that his dick is the key to hell, that would make him the Keymaster, right?
- Spear Counterpart: He looks an awful lot like a male version of Panty with his bangs out of the way.
- Shrinking Violet
- Stalker with a Crush: Definitely displays some traits, though he's still able to hang out with them with regularity.
- Tagalong Kid: The unofficial Kid Sidekick to the group.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Inverted. Not seen in the show, but some official artwork states this◊
- Throw the Dog a Bone: He finally gets some from Panty in the season finale.
- Tsurime Eyes
- What Beautiful Eyes: He's absolutely stunning if you can see them.
- Whole Costume Reference: Wears the Ghostbusters uniform at all times.
- Youthful Freckles: A mixture of the Butt Monkey or Chew Toy, Tag Along Kid and Unlucky Everydude.
Bravo, Kneesocks. Bravo! Continue your assiduous assault until those hackney angels are broke! Shame them into the depths of despair and then annihilate them!
An agent from Hell working for the mayor of the city
. Unlike the angels, she and her sister Kneesocks are intent on ruling with law and order (their own brand of it, of course) and speak in a more elegant style. However, Scanty has a very short temper
and takes their rivalry with the angels very seriously upon losing to them for the first time. Like Panty, she can also turn her panties into guns, in this case revolvers.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Dark red like her sister Kneesocks.
- Arranged Marriage: To Brief so that the mayor may harness the power of his magical dick. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Badass Adorable
- Bifurcated Weapon: She can also combine her revolvers to form a shotgun.
- Biting the Handkerchief: More out of anger than grief.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Cute Monster Girl
- Dark Action Girl
- Evil Counterpart: To Panty.
- Expy: Scanty has more than just a passing resemblance to Nia of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Double points because it's Gainax.
- Her red skin, long, wild green hair and yellow/green, spiral-y eyes also makes her bear an uncanny resemblance to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann itself.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Mostly played straight in the dub, with only two aversions.
- Guns Akimbo
- Hair Reboot: A chunk of her hair gets burnt in "If Angels Wore Swimsuits", but fixes itself moments later.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Ever since her fight with Panty, Scanty gets pissed at virtually anything that comes out of the angels' mouths.
- Horned Humanoid
- Lady of War: To an extent. Elegant and armed with an revolver, that temper of hers wouldn't be considered graceful.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Like the rest of the characters who aren't Stocking, she did not see Corset's backup plan coming.
- Named Weapons: Double Gold Lacytanga.
- Noble Demon: Neither she nor her sister are nice but they're very big on "Rrrrrrrrrrrules". Also it may have been for pragmatism's sake but they're both incensed that the angels Panty and Stocking would let Brief (their friend/lackey) DIE just for a possible shot at them.
- The Ojou: She even has the noblewoman's laugh.
- Panty Shot: When she gets knocked down the stairs with Kneesocks in "Bitch Girls".
- Precision F-Strike: In the dub Episode 13, when Hellsmonkey is freed from his prison.
Kneesocks: Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!
Scanty: Holy motherfucking God dammit shit!
- Revolvers Are Just Better
- Rich Bitch
- Scars Are Forever: At least by the end of Episode 13, in which Panty throws a burning pair of panties at her face, leaving a burn mark that lasts the rest of the episode.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: In the dub, going so far as to replace the majority of the cursing in the original script.
- Shout-Out: Both she and her sister could be a shout out to Him of The Powerpuff Girls
- Sister-Sister Incest: Revealed in Episode 12 that she and Kneesocks apparently often engage in... certain activities when the Mayor isn't looking.
- Those Two Bad Guys: With dear sister Kneesocks, of course.
- Trrrilling Rrrs: Scanty and Kneesocks are kinda big on "Rrrrrrrules".
- Tsurime Eyes: Possibly the most extreme case in the entire series.
There, are you happy? Our time has been pilfered and you've nothing to show for it! We are still in charge of this school, we're intelligent and pulchritudinous, and the students here will always worship us!
Scanty's sister and another agent of Hell also working for the mayor
. Pretty much the same as her sister, though she's the more outspoken one of the two, plus she's far more proficient at controlling her temper than Scanty. Unlike Stocking, her knee socks turn into scythes.
Voiced by: Miki Makiguchi (JP), Christopher Bevins (EN)
Scanty and Kneesocks' pet dog (?) and Chuck's archrival since college. (Appears) much more competent than Chuck.
Click here to see him
The mayor of Daten City and father of Scanty and Kneesocks. He is a BDSM demon who wears a very tight corset. He seeks out the blood kin of Hell's Monkey, Brief, whose penis acts as the key to Hell