"You have your mother's/father's eyes."In media, characters frequently have a Strong Family Resemblance to other members of their family, often down to a Hereditary Hairstyle. But sometimes creators go for a more subtle hint of relation: and since Eyes Never Lie, what better thing to do that than by giving the whole family very distinctive peepers? Frequently, people who knew the parent in question will remark that the character has their mother's/father's eyes. In some cases, people can figure out who the family is from their eyes alone! Oddly, this occurs as often (if not more so) with common eye colors as it does with Technicolor Eyes; this is usually justified by the eyes exhibiting some kind of expression or intensity that the parent shared.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Black Butler, Ciel has his mother Rachel's blue eyes. It's mentioned occasionally how much Ciel looks like his mother (even by his father).
- Sera Masumi from Detective Conan has the same eye shape as her brother Shuichi Akai. The mysterious girl whom Sera lives with also have similar eyes, leading to many speculation about her identity, and how she relates to the Akai family. It turns out the mysterious girl is Sera and Shuichi's mother, Mary, who was shrunk with drugs like Shiho/Ai and Shinichi/Conan.
- Fullmetal Alchemist:
- Ed and Alphonse (when his soul's not stuck in an armor) have their father Hohenheim's eyes. It's eventually revealed that it is a mark of Hohenheim being ethnically Xerxian; i.e., belonging to a lost civilization.
- When Armstrong is introducing his tiny little sister, who claims that she has the same eyes he does. It's the ONLY thing she has in common with him, appearance wise.
- In Himouto! Umaru-chan, Tachibana Sylphin Ford and Alex are both drawn with flower shaped pupils when they get excited. They were later revealed to be siblings.
- In Jewelpet Kira Deco, the Kira Deco 5 team mostly consists of characters whose Curtains Match the Window, except for Midori who has red eyes, that don't match his green hair, to show he's brother to Retsu, who has red hair and eyes.
- Lyrical Nanoha:
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, it is showcased that Vivio and Einhart have a Shared Unusual Trait with their respective ancestors, their heterochromia. While Einhart is one of many "reincarnations" of the Supreme King Claus G.S. Ingvalt, Vivio is the clone of Sankt Kaiser Olivie Sägebrecht.
- In the DVD Commentary of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 1st, Teana mentions that old friends of her deceased parents told her that she resembles her mother, the eye color being one of the many resemblances.
- The page image features two members of the Hyuga clan, who all have large pupil-less white/silver eyes, which are depicted as lavender in the anime.
- From the epilogue onward, Boruto and Himawari Uzumaki, the son and daughter of Naruto and Hinata, have the same Innocent Blue Eyes as their father, although Himawari takes on her mother's eyes when her Byakugan is activated.
- Shikadai Nara, the son of Shikamaru and Temari, has the same teal eyes as his mother.
- In Sailor Moon SuperS, Queen Nehelenia is terrified by Usagi/Sailor Moon's sad eyes because Queen Serenity had the same sad eyes when the latter sealed the evil queen.
- Dragon Ryuhou from Saint Seiya Omega was once said by Libra Genbu to have the same honest eyes as his father Shiryu.
- Savvy viewers of Star Driver will notice how the main character Takuto and his grandfather are the only characters with an additional ring around their irises. Of course, the only other character with this trait turns out to be Takuto's father.
- In Toradora!, Ryuuji inherited his Yakuza father's scary-looking eyes, much to his chagrin.
- In YuYu Hakusho Hiei and Yukina both have crimson (blood red) eyes and their mother, Hina, doesn't.
- Batwoman has a Long-Lost Relative Reveal heralded by the words "You have our father's eyes". Said by the villain Alice, who is actually Batwoman's twin sister.
- X-23's eyes were made green to establish her Strong Family Resemblance to her creator/mother, Sarah Kinney, even though Laura doesn't actually possess any of Sarah's genetic material.
- Bringing Me To Life has Max Jameson, who shares his dark-brown eyes with his mom, Annie.
- Child of the Storm has Harry who, as per canon, has his mother's eyes. These become more significant when it is revealed that Jean Grey is his second cousin and she shares the famous eyes.
- Ironically, just about the only feature Hermione didn't get from her mother Wanda was her eyes.
- In a more retroactively observed case, Carol Danvers is noted to have her great-grandpa Steve's cornflower blue eyes once the relationship is observed, along with his hair and build.
- In The Death God Alliance, demigod children inherit their divine parent's eyes - such as Athena's having Grey Eyes, Poseidon's Green Eyes, etc.
- In the Deliver Us From Evil Series, Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes inherited their Gray Eyes from their mother.
- In Field Of Innocence, Iroh mentions that Lu Ten has the golden eyes of his Missing Mom, Kei Rin.
- In the Jackie Chan Adventures fic The Ultimate Evil, Shendu first suspects that Valerie Payne is a descendant of Lo Pei because she has the crystal blue eyes of Pei's daughter Lo Mei. This is all but confirmed later, though otherwise Valerie looks nothing like Mei. The Living Statue of Lo Pei also believes Valerie to be a magically disguised Mei due to having his beloved daughter's eyes.
- The sequel called The Stronger Evil provides a rare example that doesn't include eye color: according to Shendu, his future son Drago's eyes are shaped exactly like those of his mother Valerie.
- In The Ollivander Children, every member of the Ollivander family has silvery gray eyes.
- Morgan is told this in The Return after he is transformed into a Succubus: Her new body has her mother's eyes.
- In Old West, the glossy snake Grace Glossy's son Teddy looks nearly identical to his gopher snake father, except that he has his mother's brown eyes.
Films — Animated
- At the beginning of Robots parodies this, acknowledging that Rodney was created with some leftover parts.
"He's got your mother's eyes and my dad's nose."
Films — Live-Action
- Subverted in Addams Family Values.
Gomez: He has my father's eyes.
Morticia: Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
- In Fright Night (2011), the vampire tells a certain character, "You have your mother's eyes... and your father's aim." That's not a compliment.
- Hot Shots!. People often tell Topper Harley that he has his father's eyes. Actually, he does. Literally. He keeps them in a little velvet case and all.
- In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when Indy meets Dr. Elsa Schneider:
Elsa: Dr. Jones?
Elsa: I knew it was you. You have your father's eyes.
Indy: And my mother's ears. But the rest belong to you.
Elsa: (smiling) Looks like the best parts have already been spoken for...
- Repo! The Genetic Opera. Blind Mag tells Shilo that she has her mother's eyes.
- Rosemary's Baby. One character says of the title spawn of the Devil that "He has his father's eyes".
- In Super Mario Bros., the evil Koopa lady says this about Princess Daisy.
- In What a Girl Wants, it's mentioned in dialogue that Daphne has Henry's eyes. The actors have different eye colors and no one bothered to give one of them contact lenses or something.
- In A Brother's Price, all the princesses whose eye colour we are told have green eyes. (There are ten of them). Likewise, the Whistler family tends to have blue eyes.
- In the Deryni works by Katherine Kurtz, the Haldanes (legitimate and otherwise) are depicted with Gray Eyes. In cases of illegitimate relatives, the eyes visibly establish kinship.
- In Divergent, Marcus and his son Four/Tobias have the same eyes.
- In one of Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters novels, one character is able to identify the hero as the long lost son of her friend because his eyes looked so much like hers.
- Harry Potter:
- Harry is often told he has his mother's eyes, so often that he can finish the phrase himself.
- Harry's second son is mentioned in the epilogue as the only one of his three children to have inherited the green eyes.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 uses this for Snape's Famous Last Words: "You have your mother's eyes..."
- The Hunger Games: Katniss' and Peeta's daughter has his eyes while their son has her eyes.
- In the Hurog duology, members of the family often have a distinct, blue-violet colour Ward refers to as "Hurog-blue". Both of his siblings, as well as his cousins and Oreg, the family ghost, and distant relative, have them. Ward's own eyes are brown, but apparently the blue eyes go back to the ancestor who built the castle. And who was half-dragon. That's likely the reason for the unusual colour.
- In The Princes of the Air, members of the royal family have a distinctive eye color.
- In the 13th century Saga of the Volsungs, all the Volsungs have unusually bright, piercing eyes.
- It is often pointed out that all members of the Heap family in Septimus Heap share Green Eyes.
- In the Sherlock Holmes Canon, both Holmes brothers are said to have keen Gray Eyes (the only resemblance Watson can see between the two).
- In Wuthering Heights, the only resemblance Catherine Linton has to her mother (Catherine Earnshaw) is her dark brown eyes.
- A Blackout Sketch on The Benny Hill Show: A vicar is looking at a couple's new baby.
Vicar: He has your husband's nose.
Wife: Yes. But he has his father's eyes.
- Game of Thrones: As in the books, both Roose and Ramsay have noticeably pale blue eyes that enhance the menacing stares they put on whenever they start to physically or psychologically torment people. Hell, they even do the same creepy half-closed eyelids blinking.
- An interesting version in Kamen Rider Double's movie that also works as Foreshadowing. Daidou Katsumi has the same eyes as his mother but only when they're transformed into Kamen Rider Eternal and the Cyclone Dopant.
- Once Upon a Time:
- Emma, her son Henry, and her mother Snow White all have hazel eyes.
- Red Riding Hood, her mother, and grandmother all have green eyes.
- In Smallville, General Zod comments that Clark Kent has Jor-El's eyes.
- In the Supernatural episode "All Hell Breaks Loose, Part Two" (S02, Ep22), Jake's eyes flash a golden color like the Yellow-Eyed Demon, indicating Jake is now under the demon's control and is one of his children.
- The Queen song 39 has the line: "Your mother's eyes from your eyes cry to me."
- Static in Stereo's "Ariana Incomplete":
Her daddy’s habits and her mama’s eyesBut she never feels beautiful until she’s high
- In Die Walküre, Hunding notices the resemblance of his wife Sieglinde's eyes to Siegmund's. This observation, and the Leitmotif quietly underscoring it, is the first clue they're related to each other and to Wotan.
- This is the subject of the song "Lily's Eyes" in the theatrical version of The Secret Garden.
- Brütal Legend. If you fail the stage battle against the Tainted Coil at the end:
Doviculous: You have your mother's eyes. And soon, so shall I. On a necklace, I think.
- In Dark Cloud the chief of Muska Lacka tells Toan that he is the son of Aga. The character's shocked reaction lets the player know that this is true and that he wonders how she knows. She goes on to say that Aga had those same beautiful green eyes.
- Fire Emblem:
- In Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade, Wallace decides to believe Lyn's claim of being his lord Hausen's granddaughter because he can tell from her eyes. Eliwood also notes that her eyes resemble Hausen's.
- In Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, it turns out that Soren's eyes are the same color as his mother's (Almedha), uncles' (Rajaion and Kurthnaga), and maternal grandfather's (King Deghinsea).
- In Fire Emblem Awakening, if Inigo is Chrom's son, he proves his heroic lineage by showing him that he has the Mark of Naga in his eye... like his older sister Lucina, who has it there by default.
- In Gears of War, according to the Expanded Universe novels, the entire Fenix family is said to have Icy Blue Eyes. Adam had to take down all the portraits of his ancestors hanging in the Fenix mansion because they were too creepy even for him.
- Golden Sun: Dark Dawn: Briggs recognizes Matthew because he "has Jenna's eyes", when Matthew clearly has his father's eyes.
- Off: A more depressing example.
The Queen: Look... He has your eyes...
The Batter: They are full of fear.
- In Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Katia looks almost identical to her grandmother Sophia, except for having her grandfather Anton's eyes. It's significant since getting a good look at her eyes helps Anton realize she's not actually Sophia.
- In Summon Night: Swordcraft Story one of the Craftlords claims he can recognize Pratty (or Cleru for the strange people that play for something OTHER than lesbians) has the same eyes as her father Shintetsu, though this is after he notices Shintetsu's Guardian Beast is with her.
- In Tales of Xillia 2, Ludger has unique teal eyes with a gold ring in the iris. His half-brother has the same eyes. So do Bisley Bakur and Elle Marta. Bisley turns out to be Ludger and Julius's archnemesis father while Elle is Ludger's daughter from a fractured dimension.
- It's not commented on in the narration, but in Drowtales it eventually becomes obvious that while Purple Eyes run in the Sarghress family Ariel's particular type come from her father, Zhor, which becomes even more apparent after he gets restored to a humanoid body, as shown here.
- Also runs in the Sullisin'rune clan, with the Mismatched Eyes of Ash'waren's line being particularly well known in-universe, something Faen comments on when she meets Pup Ariel's younger half-brother whose father was a Sullisin'rune. Ariel's older sister Laele'aelle was said to have had these as well before her "accident" as a mark of her father being another, unknown member of the clan.
- Gunnerkrigg Court: One astute reader realized that Anthony was Annie's father when they noticed that she had his eyes.
- In The Order of the Stick, Durkon claims he can tell that Julia is Roy's sister because they have similar eyes. This is odd as Roy has the semi-unique feature (his Palette Swap Thog, every member of the identical Azure City Army and a few nameless characters share it) that the eye farther from the camera is the bigger one, which Julia lacks.
- In Schlock Mercenary, both Tagon and his father both have Conjoined Eyes. A flashback shows that his brothers, sisters, and paternal grandfather all shared the same eyes.
- In Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki, Freya and Yuuki are the only ones with their exact shade of blue eyes. On its own, probably not worth mentioning, but combined with Yuuki noticing that he's "seen those eyes before" (in the mirror) and his Missing Mom, it's widely believed Freya is his mother.
- In the final episode of Season 10 of Red vs. Blue, we find out that the Director's eyes are green, just like his daughter Carolina.