Family Eye Resemblance
"You have your mother's/father's eyes."In media, characters frequently have a Strong Family Resemblance to other members of their family, often down to a Hereditary Hairstyle. But sometimes creators go for a more subtle hint of relation: and since Eyes Never Lie, what better thing to do that than by giving the whole family very distinctive peepers? Frequently, people who knew the parent in question will remark that the character has their mother's/father's eyes. In some cases, people can figure out who the family is from their eyes alone! Oddly, this occurs as often (if not more so) with Common Eye Colors as it does with Technicolor Eyes; this is usually justified by the eyes exhibiting some kind of expression or intensity that the parent shared.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Black Butler, Ciel has his mother's blue eyes. It's mentioned occasionally how much Ciel looks like his mother (even by his father).
- Fullmetal Alchemist:
- Ed has his father's eyes. It's eventually revealed that it is a mark of Hohenheim being ethnically Xerxian; i.e., belonging to a lost civilization.
- When Armstrong is introducing his tiny little sister, who claims that she has the same eyes he does. It's the ONLY thing she has in common with him, appearance wise.
- The Hyuga clan in Naruto all have the same large white/grayish pupil-less eyes.
- Dragon Ryuhou from Saint Seiya Omega was once said by Libra Genbu to have the same honest eyes as his father Shiryu.
- In Sailor Moon SuperS, Queen Nehelenia is terrified by Usagi/Sailor Moon's sad eyes because Queen Serenity had the same sad eyes when the latter sealed the evil queen.
- Lyrical Nanoha:
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vi Vid, it is showcased that Vivio and Einhard have a Shared Unusual Trait with their respective ancestors, their heterochromia. While Einhard is one of many "reincarnations" of the Supreme King Claus G.S. Ingvalt, Vivio is the clone of Sankt Kaiser Olivie Sägebrecht.
- In the DVD Commentary of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 1st, Teana mentions that old friends of her deceased parents told her that she resembles her mother, the eye color being one of the many resemblances.
- Savy viewers of Star Driver will notice how the main character Takuto and his grandfather are the only characters with an additional ring around their irises. Of course, the only other character with this trait turns out to be Takuto's father.
- In the Deliver Us From Evil Series, Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes inherited their Gray Eyes from their mother.
- Morgan is told this in The Return after he is transformed into a Succubus: Her new body has her mother's eyes.
- In The Ollivander Children, every member of the Ollivander family has silvery gray eyes.
- In Field Of Innocence, Iroh mentions that Lu Ten has the golden eyes of his Missing Mom, Kei Rin.
- Bringing Me To Life has Max Jameson, who shares his dark-brown eyes with his mom, Annie.
- Repo! The Genetic Opera. Blind Mag tells Shilo that she has her mother's eyes.
- Hot Shots!!. People often tell Topper Harley that he has his father's eyes. Actually, he does. Literally. He keeps them in a little velvet case and all.
- Rosemary's Baby. One character says of the title spawn of the Devil that "He has his father's eyes".
- In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when Indy meets Dr. Elsa Schneider:
Elsa: Dr. Jones?
Elsa: I knew it was you. You have your father's eyes.
Indy: And my mother's ears. But the rest belong to you.
Elsa: (smiling) Looks like the best parts have already been spoken for...
- In Fright Night (2011), the vampire tells a certain character, "You have your mother's eyes... and your father's aim." That's not a compliment.
- In Super Mario Bros., the evil Koopa lady says this about Princess Daisy.
- In What a Girl Wants, it's mentioned in dialogue that Daphne has Henry's eyes. The actors have different eye colors and no one bothered to give one of them contact lenses or something.
- Beatifully subverted in Addams Family Values.
Gomez: He has my father's eyes.Morticia: Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
- At the beginning of Robots parodies this, acknowledging that Rodney was created with some leftover parts.
"He's got your mother's eyes and my dad's nose."
- In A Brother's Price, all the princesses whose eye colour we are told have green eyes. (There are ten of them). Likewise, the Whistler family tends to have blue eyes.
- In the Hurog duology, members of the family often have a distinct, blue-violet colour Ward refers to as "Hurog-blue". Both of his siblings, as well as his cousins and Oreg, the family ghost, and distant relative, have them. Ward's own eyes are brown, but apparently the blue eyes go back to the ancestor who built the castle. And who was half-dragon. That's likely the reason for the unusual colour.
- Harry Potter is often told he has his mother's eyes, so often that he can finish the phrase himself.
- Harry's second son is mentioned in the epilogue as the only one of his three children to have inherited the green eyes.
- In one of Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters novels, one character is able to identify the hero as the long lost son of her friend because his eyes looked so much like hers.
- In the Deryni works by Katherine Kurtz, the Haldanes (legitimate and otherwise) are depicted with Gray Eyes. In cases of illegitmate relatives, the eyes visibly establish kinship.
- It is often pointed out that all members of the Heap family in Septimus Heap share Green Eyes.
- In the 13th century Saga of the Volsungs, all the Volsungs have unusually bright, piercing eyes.
- In the Sherlock Holmes Canon, both Holmes brothers are said to have keen Gray Eyes (the only resemblance Watson can see between the two).
- The Hunger Games: Katniss' and Peeta's daughter has his eyes while their son has her eyes.
- In Divergent, Marcus and his son Four/Tobias have the same eyes.
- A Blackout Sketch on The Benny Hill Show: A vicar is looking at a couple's new baby.
Vicar: He has your husband's nose.
Wife: Yes. But he has his father's eyes.
- An interesting version in Kamen Rider Double's movie that also works as Foreshadowing. Daidou Katsumi has the same eyes as his mother but only when they're transformed into Kamen Rider Eternal and the Cyclone Dopant.
- Once Upon a Time:
- Emma, her son Henry, and her mother Snow White all have blue-green eyes.
- Red Riding Hood, her mother, and grandmother all have green eyes.
- In Smallville, General Zod comments that Clark Kent has Jor-El's eyes.
- The Queen song 39 has the line: "Your mother's eyes from your eyes cry to me."
- Static in Stereo's "Ariana Incomplete":
Her daddy’s habits and her mama’s eyesBut she never feels beautiful until she’s high
- Brütal Legend. If you fail the stage battle against the Tainted Coil at the end:
Doviculous: You have your mother's eyes. And soon, so shall I. On a necklace, I think.
- Golden Sun: Dark Dawn: Briggs recognizes Matthew because he "has Jenna's eyes", when Matthew clearly has his father's eyes.
- In Fire Emblem 7, Wallace decides to believe Lyn's claim of being his lord's granddaughter because he can tell from her eyes.
- In Summon Night: Swordcraft Story one of the Craftlords claims he can recognize Pratty (or Cleru for the strange people that play for something OTHER than lesbians) has the same eyes as her father Shintetsu, though this is after he notices Shintetsu's Guardian Beast is with her.
- Off: A more depressing example.
The Batter: They are full of fear.
- Gunnerkrigg Court: One astute reader realized that Anthony was Annie's father when they noticed that she had his eyes.
- In The Order of the Stick, Durkon claims he can tell that Julia is Roy's sister because they have similar eyes. This is odd as Roy has the semi-unique feature (his Palette Swap Thog, every member of the identical Azure City Army and a few nameless characters share it) that the eye farther from the camera is the bigger one, which Julia lacks.
- In Schlock Mercenary, both Tagon and his father both have Conjoined Eyes. A flashback shows that his brothers, sisters, and paternal grandfather all shared the same eyes.
- In Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki, Freya and Yuuki are the only ones with their exact shade of blue eyes. On its own, probably not worth mentioning, but combined with Yuuki noticing that he's "seen those eyes before" (in the mirror) and his Missing Mom, it's widely believed Freya is his mother.
- In the final episode of Season 10 of Red vs. Blue, we find out that the Director's eyes are green, just like his daughter Carolina.