What a Girl Wants
is a 2003 teen comedy starring Amanda Bynes (The Amanda Show, All That
). An average American girl
named Daphne, employed by a banquet service and living with her Bohemian mother (Kelly Preston), finds out that her father (Colin Firth) is a wealthy British politician. She sets out to find him, causing trouble
and finding love along the way.
Provides Examples Of:
- Actor Allusion: Poor Anna Chancellor still can't get her claws into Colin Firth.
- Alpha Bitch: Clarissa, of course.
- Appeal to Obscurity: Between Anna and Clarissa regarding how hard they have to work to maintain their social standing:
Anna: "Look what happened to Olivia Dixon when she went to China last summer?"
Clarissa: "Who's Olivia Dixon?"
- Batman Gambit: Jocelyn Dashwood doesn't like her son sacrificing himself for political reasons. When Daphne comes around, she is more than happy to push help her out in getting to know her father better and out of Alistair's manipulative hands.
- Beautiful All Along: Peach and Pear, thanks to Daphne
- Be Yourself
"Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you are born to stand out?"
- Blithe Spirit: Daphne
- Bowdlerization: Real Life Example. The original poster had Daphne flashing the peace sign. It was notably changed as America was entering the second Iraq War.
- Britain Is Only London: Colin Firth's character owning a country estate in downtown London. Roger Ebert's review of the film contains a priceless quote in which he commented that that kind of real estate would have to be "worth more than Rhode Island".
- British Stuffiness:
"No hugs, dear. I'm British. We only show affection to dogs and horses." - Jocelyn Dashwood (Eileen Atkins)
- California Doubling: Inverted, everything was filmed in Britain, even the scenes in New York.
- The flashback scenes with Kelly Preston and Colin Firth in an exotic country were filmed on location, rather than a set.
- Cool Old Lady / Deadpan Snarker: Jocelyn Dashwood
- Divorce Is Temporary: Libby and Henry.
- Edible Theme Naming: Peach and Pear. They apparently have a sister named Parsnip; she doesn't get out much.
- Fashion Show
- It's a Costume Party, I Swear: Successfully pulled on Daphne, who goes to a formal event in a tank top and ripped jeans.
- However, people thought she was a model at first, instead of improperly dressed, so it backfired.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Clarissa, her mother, and her grandfather ( who knew that Libby was pregnant with Daphne, convinced her to leave, and then told Henry that there was someone else and withheld the knowledge of his daughter's existence for years.)
- Luke, You Are My Father
- Mama Bear: Libby to Glynnis: "Take your hands off my daughter or you wont get a scene. You'll get a Broadway musical."
- Non Action Dress Rip: Daphne makes the dowdy dress beautiful and sleek with just a pair of scissors.
- Rich Bitch: Glynnis
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Daphne, including the stair entrance
- Sweet and Sour Grapes: Daphne finally realizes that her presence in England is causing both her and her father more harm than good, and returns home to America. What does Dad do? Drop everything in his life, including the Parliament seat he's been chasing for years, and run to America to be with her and her mother.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: sort of
Daphne: (to Clarissa) If you take your nose out of the air for one second you'll see you're designer, I'm vintage. You've got a mansion, I've got a five floor walkup. You're a snotty little miss cranky pants and I go with the flow, so why would you ever think for one second that I'd ever have the same taste in guys? So here's a little pointer for you. Get over yourself and stop trying to be my daddy's little girl because I'm not going anywhere.
- Record Needle Scratch: Lord Henry Dashwood plays some wild air guitar in leather pants until his fiancee walks in on him, bringing the dancing and the music to an abrupt halt.
- Underdressed for the Occasion: at the fashion show.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Holy poo on toast."
"I don't give a FLYING FART IN SPACE..."
- What Beautiful Eyes: Henry insists that Daphne must be his daughter because she has his eyes. Despite the fact that Colin Firth has small, brown eyes and Amanda Bynes has large, green eyes.
- You Can Verb My Noun Any Day: