Here's a list of characters from Onimusha series.
open/close all folders
The Oni Warriors
Hidemitsu Samanosuke Akechi
The main hero of the Onimusha
series, he's a samurai and Onimusha, a warrior with the powers of the Oni clan. In the first game he need to rescue Princess Yuki from the clutches of the Genma and stop their evil plot of conquest with the help of the Oni Gauntlet. After Fortinbras' defeat, he disappeared, only to return in 3
, where he attacks Nobunaga at Honnoji but a mysterious time travel is involved and he's projected into Paris, 2004 and must fight his way back to the past. After Nobunaga's defeat, he started a journey to seal away the Oni Gauntlet containing the Genma Lord's Soul. He appears as Tenkai Nankobo in Dawn of Dreams
- Blade on a Stick: His Shippuu naginata, which is also a Double Weapon.
- The Chosen One: For the Oni clan, as the bearer of the Oni Gauntlet.
- Cool Sword: Many of them.
- Dual Wielding: When using Tenso in 3.
- Elemental Powers:
- For the first game, he wields the Raizan, Enryuu, and the Shippuu.
- In the third game, he gets the Tenso, Kuuga and Chigo. All three weapons from the first game are unlockable via the Dark Realms.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: The Onimusha Sword and the Genma Samonji in 3.
- Fusion Dance: Towards the end of Demon Siege, future!Samanosuke returns to his timeline, and fuses with the dying past!Samanosuke in order to become more powerful and defeat Nobunaga once and for all.
- The Hero
- Heroes Prefer Swords: About eleven of his Oni Weapons are swords.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Based on Hidemitsu Akechi (a relative of the famous Mitsuhide) and severely upgraded.
- Important Haircut: The Samonoske of the past wears his hair in a ponytail, while his future self has long hair. (Demon Siege)
- Ink-Suit Actor: He's based on his voice actor Takeshi Kaneshiro.
- Infinity+1 Sword: The Bishamon Sword
- Older Than They Look: He's in his 40s in Onimusha 3, but still looks as though he's in his 20s - this is due to the fact that his Oni powers prevent him from aging.
- One-Man Army: And we're talking about an army of demons.
- Pet the Dog: When he comforts Henri in 3 while they're held captive by Guildenstern.
- Primary-Color Champion: The official color of the Akechi clan is fire engine red.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Offscreen, when he discovers that Gargant has killed Kaede.
- Ship Tease: With Kaede.
- The Stoic
- Super Mode: The Onimusha mode gives him a large Battle Aura, purple skin, white hair and horns.
- Walking the Earth: He travelled across Japan and Asia.
Kaede is a young kunoichi from the Iga Clan. She was sent to kill Samanosuke for an unknown reason, but ends up joining him as a faithful companion and possible love interest. It is later revealed that she was killed by the Genma General Gargant and avenged by Samanosuke
Yumemaru /Keijiro Maeda
A young orphan adopted by princess Yuki who gets kidnapped when he tries to save her. He's met 12 years later in Blade Warriors
where he's known as a powerful and kind warrior who fights alongside Kaede and Samanosuke.
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Jubei Sekishusai Yagyu
The main character of the second game and initially referred to as Jubei Yagyu (not the historical Yagyu Jubei
; here Jubei is the name given to the strongest youth in the village), he finds out that his village has been destroyed by the wicked Genma Lord Nobunaga. Armed with his newfound Oni powers and with powerful allies on his side, he start a quest to stop the evil Demon King. He eventually managed to kill Nobunaga, but he can't stop his soul from coming back again later and is eventually forced to go into hiding during Demon Siege.
He's mentioned in Dawn of Dreams
where its revealed that his true name is Sekishusai.
- Blade on a Stick: When using the Hyoujin Yari lance and the Senpuumaru dual-sword.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Drop the Hammer: The Dokotsui.
- Dull Surprise
- Elemental Powers: Like Samanosuke, each of his weapon emits a certain elemental magic: the Buraitou, Hyoujin Yari, Senpuumaru, Dokotsui and Rekka-Ken.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's half-human, half-Oni.
- Human Mom Non Human Dad: Gender-flipped - his father is human, his mother is an Oni.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Rekka-Ken, the sword of fire.
- Informed Ability: His skills as a swordsman are unknown, as he has very few sword-like weapons
- Ink-Suit Actor: Again.
- Pet the Dog: When he kills Gogandantess and agrees to comply his final wish.
- Power Glows: The Oni Mark on his left hand, which enables him to obtain weapons from the Dragon Sanctuaries
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Against Nobunaga, for slaying the Yagyu Clan.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Him and Oyu /Oichi.
- The Stoic
- Super Mode: He can turn into an Onimusha after absorbing five purple souls. During his final battle it comes complete with Arm Cannon.
Oyu of Odani / Oichi Oda
A mysterious swordswoman who sports Western armor and is seen around the Genma hideouts in Gifu Castle whose path crosses with Jubei. She's actually Oichi, Nobunaga's sister, who's attempting to defend Odani castle from her brother's armies of monsters. She's also in love with Jubei, but nothing really happens between them.
A fat and jolly warrior monk who enjoys liquor and women and food. He's Magoichi's rival and has a past as warlord. He fights the Genma with his trusty Hozoin Spear.
The leader of the Saiga Musket Team and a fine marksman, he's a quiet, intelligent warrior who loves to read books.
The young leader of the Fuuma Clan serving the Hojo, he's a cheerful shinobi who helps Jubei on his journey. He's really curious about the surrounding world and is distrustful of women.
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
An active member of the General Directorate for External Security in Paris and the second main character in 3. When Paris is invaded by the Genma, he fights them, but as Samanosuke arrives, a mysterious "dome" sent him five hundreds years in the past, where he's charged by the Oni Guardians with the task of slaying the Genma and helping Past Samanosuke on his way. Armed with a second Oni Gautlet and the Oni Whip, he fight his way to come back from the past and defeat the Genma.
Jacques' girlfriend and a officer of the French Army who aids Samanosuke in his quest.
Heihachiro "Heihachi" Tadakatsu Honda
A vassal of Tokugawa Ieyasu
who's complied to work alongside with the genma, but has other plans. Wields the Genma Tonbo spear.
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Kusuda (JP), David Beron (EN).
The main Hero of Dawn of Dreams
, he's a powerful warrior clad in a blue armor that stand against the evil Hideyoshi and burn down the "Cherry Trees" (Actually Genma Trees) which are gathered from all Japan. He'll soon find himself allied with four other characters with great powers and work with them in order to stop the Genma and their plans for The End of the World as We Know It
. He's actually the avatar of the Oni God of Darkness, destinated to slay Fortinbras at the cost of his own life.
His true name is Hideyasu Yuki, and he's the bastard son of Tokugawa Ieyasu
Jubei Akane Yagyu
Sekishusai's granddaughter, she's the strongest swords
woman in the Yagyu village. She's looking for her uncle Munenori in order to avenge the villagers he killed when he turned against the Yagyu. She ends up aiding Soki in his quest.
Jubei is small and light on her feet. She is able to cross narrow pathways and crawl through tight spaces to areas the others cannot reach. Her special command allow her to taunt enemies and distract them from attacking Soki.
Voiced By: Sanae Kobayashi (JP), Nika Futterman (EN)
One of Hideyoshi's retainers, is a musket-wielding woman and an old friend (and love interest) of Soki. She first try to persuade Soki into joining the Toyotomi, but eventually she sides with him. In the finale is shown that she's married another man, but her heart will always be with Soki
Ohatsu's specialties are firearms and explosives. She can unseal doors locked with genma and use her grappling tool to swing across to areas normally inaccessible by any other means. Furthermore, she can snipe determinated targets to make them work and she can provide you with stunning cover fire.
Voiced By: Hideo Ishikawa (JP), Josh Keaton (EN)
A white-haired monk wearing a red armor who knows many secrets regarding the Oni and the Genma who meet and fight Soki and Jubei at Sawayama and start forming the group anti-Hideyoshi. He makes a Heroic Sacrifice
in order to save Soki and Ohatsu but eventually gets better and comes back to the fight. He's actually Samanosuke
Tenkai has the ability to speak with the souls of the dead for hints and key items. He can also increase your strength by praying.
Voiced By: Wataru Hatano (JP), Juan Monsalvez (EN)
A huge Westerner who was born and raised in Japan by the Portuguese priest Luis Frois. However, when Luis turned evil he was abandoned and now he's seeking revenge on his foster father. Joins Soki after being rescued by him. he eventually manage to free Luis and kill the demon Rosencrantz.
His immense physical strength allows him to move heavy objects and levers, as well as opening heavy iron doors by punching them.He can also go berserk and attack recklessly the enemies without losing HP.
The wicked warlord from Owari, in this series he was killed at Okehazama, only to be resurrected by the Genma in order to be their vassal in the conquest of Japan. After Fortinbras' demise he take over his throne
and becomes the new Genma Lord and start his brutal conquest with the help of the Genma
. He's vanquished but not totally defeated by Jubei Yagyu in Samurai's Destiny
but comes back even stronger in Demon Siege
where he attempt to conquer the present and future at the same time, but is finally killed by Samanosuke and sealed forever inside the Oni Gauntlet
A skinny, evil Genma scientist who resurrected Nobunaga with genma powers and created many horrible monsters to unleash against Samanosuke. He's a heartless monster who did many awful deeds in the name of science. In 3 he plays a larger role by building and activating the Time Folder, a machine that enables Time Travel
and use its powers to plan a Genma invasion in France 2002, but is eventually stopped by Samanosuke once and for all.
The first serious opponent faced by Samanosuke, is a huge, clumsy demon with large fangs and a club who kidnaps Princess Yuki. He's killed by Samanosuke's Raizan
sword. However he still makes some cameos in the second game and he has even a statue in Dawn Of Dreams
A Former Oni warrior who was killed and turned into a Genma by Guildenstern. He faces Samanosuke and later Jacques several times in the first and third games and even makes a cameo in Dawn of Dreams
where he attempt to kill Soki in the Oni Mansion but is bested. His role is also to remind Samanosuke what could happen to him if he fails to control his powers.
A female genma that appears in Warlord
she face Samanosuke in her giant, wasp-like form with her children but after a long, difficult battle she's killed. In Dawn of Dreams
a boss that bears and uncanny resemblance to her appears in Sawayama Castle in one room.
Demon King Fortinbras
The King of the Genma, he's a huge, dragon-like demon with three eyes that rule over the Genma. He plans to turn Nobunaga into his powerful, immortal vassal in a dark ritual which involves drinking Yuki's blood in her skull
but he's stopped in time and killed by Samanosuke with the powers of the Onimusha. Note, this character refers to Fortinbras in Warlords, for Fortinbras as God of Light see below
Starts out as a little devious samurai who serves Nobunaga and often appears to mock Samanosuke or Jubei. After 3 he Took A Level In Bad Ass
and took the place of Nobunaga as ruler of the land and the new unofficial Genma Lord. Is actually revealed that he's just a pawn for the Triumvirate and gets a Death Equals Redemption moment
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
One of Nobunaga's generals, Ginghamphatts is a large, cocky, spider-like demon who claims to be immortal and attacks Jubei frequently during the course of the game. He finally meet his fate during their last fight on the top of Gifu's main tower. He holds the "Strength" Orb
The self-proclaimed Greatest Swordsman of All Demons, he's an arrogant and skilled swordmaster who fights Jubei several times, seeing in him a worthy opponent. He's quite a Ham
and is protected by a magical shield of energy. Is also considerably less evil than the rest of the Genma. He holds the "Respect" Orb.
- Affably Evil
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Badass: He beats Jubei in the first two fights him.
- Barrier Warrior: He's surrounded by an invisible, powerful barrier.
- The Battle Didn't Count
- Boss Banter: Rare, but it does happen sometimes.
- Catch Phrase: Do you really need to ask?
- Cool Sword: His glowing longsword, the Oni Slayer.
- Cradling Your Kill: Jubei does this after mortally wounding him.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: He comes across as extremely chauvinistic towards the end, when he arrogantly claims that it is the duty of men to rescue "weak" women.
- Evil Laugh: Rare, but awesome when he decides to do one.
- Face Death with Dignity: He considers his defeat at the hands of Jubei as an honourable way to go.
- Go Out with a Smile: After Jubei grants his final request.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The first with him is impossible to even damage him.
- Improbable Hairstyle
- Incoming Ham: Let's see.. tossing your sword blade-first into the ground? Check. Landing with perfect balance on the hilt of said sword a second later? Check. Laugh? Hell yeah....
- Kissing The Blade: He does this in his introductory cutscene.
- Large Ham: "MY Name is GOOGANDANTESS! The Grreatest Swordsman of ALL... Demons!"
- Lightning Bruiser: Swift as a dancer, strong as a hurricane.
- Monster Knight
- Noble Demon: A literal example, at that.
- Orgasmic Combat: He leans towards this somewhat.
- Pet the Dog: His rescue of Oyu.
- Running Gag: His constant repetition of his Catch Phrase.
- Say My Name: See above for his hamminess. Used in a sadder fashion during his last breath.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Not an in-game example, but, on the packaging for his official action figure, his name is misspelled as "Gogandantes".
- Villainous Rescue: When he saves Oyu from certain death.
- Worthy Opponent: To Jubei.
An old Genma crone and self-proclaimed concubine of Nobunaga Oda. She's the last of his lieutenants to show up and the first to be killed by Jubei. Is extremely vain and confident of her looks. She possess the "Honesty" Orb, embedded in her purse.
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
The General of the Genma army and the strongest Genma warrior. He kills Kaede
offscreen and is later slain by Samanosuke. However, he comes Back from the Dead and appears in the fourth game as the last guardian of the Oni Mansion and later as the Final Boss of the Dark Realm.
Nobunaga Oda's young retainer, is a sneaky, soft-spoken samurai that serves the demon lord. In Samanosuke's timeline he's cut down by the samurai and his body is sucked inside the Time Folder. He gets turned into a psychotic genma by Guildenstern and fight Samanosuke several times
Guildenstern's pet and keeper of the Oni Underwater Temple, is a huge, two headed dog monster who's encountered by both Samanosuke and Jacques.
Nobunaga's wife and Queen of the Genma, she's a despotical, beautiful demoness who's in charge of the works on Azuchi Castle. She's met several times by Jacques and finally fought and killed in the top room of the castle.
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Voiced By: Shozo Iizuka (JP)
A samurai who served the Oda and now the Toyotomi. Once a man, he ate a large number of Genma Insects and turned into a massive Genma General
. He's leading a caravan of "Cherry Trees" when he's ambushed by Soki in a outpost in Suruga plains. Despite his boasting he gets killed by the Oni of the Ash
Mitsunari Ishida /Claudius
Voiced By: Norio Wakamoto (JP), Alastair Duncan (EN)
Hideyoshi's right-hand man, is a wicked, malevolent lord who researched the Genma demons and become enticed with their powers. He used the Genma Trees to create Genma Insects, which were used to turn soldiers into fierce, restless demons. He also offered his body to the Genma Triumvirate member Claudius as a vessel, and he's so evil that its unknown where one begins and the other ends
. He faces our heroes multiple times during the story. He's finally killed by Sakon Shima and the Genma Claudius is slain first by our heroes in Kyushu and later by Tenkai in Kyoto
Munenori Mataemon Yagyu
Voiced By: Keiji Fujiwara (JP), Josh Keaton (EN)
Munenori is a master swordsman from the Yagyu clan who defected them and sided with the Genma. He's and evil Jerk Ass
who has a penchant for ravens and wields two swords at once. Akane's mission is to find him and kill him. He too has the Demon Eye. After the third battle it's revealed that he infected himself with Genma Insects to become more powerful and later even tries to take down Fortinbras by himself, but gets owned. Apparently, he's still alive at the end of the game
Luis Frois /Rosencrantz
A former portuguese priest and Roberto's adoptive father, he was a pious, generous man who helped the poor people, adopted many orphans and built an Hospital. Then he was hired by Mitsunari Ishida to help him in his research on the Genma and was forcefully possessed by Rosencrantz, who caused him to
change into a crazy, murderous scientist who see Roberto as an experiment. He however used his last moments of consciousness to put the Exorcising Beads in Roberto's arms and sent him away from him. His "good" side awakens once more after his battle with Soki. He's finally killed and fred when Claudius falls on the Research Facility in Kyushu, causing it to explode. Rosencrantz is fought one last time in Kyoto and slain by Roberto
A huge, armored samurai who serves Mitsunari Ishida. He's actually compelled to serve the Genma with a demonic mask placed on his face. He's fought by Soki and Tenkai many times and finally defeated at Sakai. He redeem himslef by killing his lord Mitsunari and telling Soki about the teletransport device in Nagoya Castle
Hideyoshi's concubine and mother of his heir, Hideyori. She's Ohatsu's Sister. For some reason she's totally faithful to Hideyoshi. Revealed that she's actually Ophelia, the Genma High Priestess, and member of the Genma Triumvirate with Claudius and Rosencrantz. She fights our heroes in Kyushu and later in Kyoto, but is finally horribly slain by the true Yodo, the Genma Mother Tree.
The Genma Mother Tree
The Largest of the Genma Trees and the main source of power for Hideyoshi, it envelops Fushimi Castle in his body. Its song is calling forth the Omen Star which will give to Hideyoshi God-like Powers. Soki's objective is to burn down this tree in order to stop Hideyoshi's plans. The Tree is actually Yodo, Ohatsu's sister, and during the final act she tears Ophelia apart and absorbs Hideyoshi in her body. She's eventually purified by Soki with Requiem, and both Yodo and Hideyoshi are spit out.
The God Of Light Fortinbras/The Man in White
The most powerful Genma, he's the one who created their race. He was killed during the war against the Oni clan and sealed inside the Omen Star. He's revealed as Fortinbras, the White Serpent and the man in white who appeared to Soki many times ingame. After the arrival of the star his embryo hatches and resurrect the God as the allmighty giant White Serpent, and he later battles Soki in his human form, but he's killed once and for all. It's unknown whether this Fortinbras and the one from Warlords are actually the same demon god, or if the 1 Fortinbras was merely a high class Genma who took his name and appearance.
The Princess of Inabayama Castle and a friend of Samanosuke. She asks his help when strange events start happening around her castle. Later she's kidnapped by the Genma and is revealed that she'll be sacrificed in a dark ceremony to give Nobunaga great powers.
A female Oni with a snake-tail and arcane powers, she lives in a hidden cave near the Yagyu village and sets Jubei on his quest of revenge awakening his Oni powers. She's actually Jubei's mother. She's later slain by Jujudormah who slices her throat.
Jacques' young son. He helped Samanosuke, Michelle and his dad in the past during their battle against the Genma. Despite being distrustful of Michelle at first, he later manages to get along with her.
A Small, cute Karasu Tengu
who helps Samanosuke and Jacques in their quest by assisting them with her powers and recovering objects and hidden chests. She reappears in Dawn Of Dreams as Arin, a nun who watch over the shrine on Mount Hiei.
A small, hideous member of the "Mino" clan, is a small, silkworm-like person who appears in the first and third games and can transport Samanosuke and Jacques to the Dark Realm. He reappears in Dawn Of Dreams
as a shopkeeper.
A young member of the Mino clan and Soki's sidekick. He's left his clan in order to become a valiant samurai. He can assist Soki and his friends with his powers of Teleport, which can allow them to visit previous levels and go into the Dark Realm. He uses all his powers to send the group from Nagoya Castle in Kyushu to the Akechi Tomb near Kyoto and apparently die for the effort. However, he's shown to have recovered and he's following Jubei now.
Voiced by Brianne Siddall
in the dub.