open/close all folders
The Oni Warriors
Hidemitsu Samanosuke Akechi
The main hero of the Onimusha series, he's a samurai and Onimusha, a warrior with the powers of the Oni clan. In the first game he need to rescue Princess Yuki from the clutches of the Genma and stop their evil plot of conquest with the help of the Oni Gauntlet. After Fortinbras' defeat, he disappeared, only to return in 3, where he attacks Nobunaga at Honnoji but a mysterious time travel is involved and he's projected into Paris, 2004 and must fight his way back to the past. After Nobunaga's defeat, he started a journey to seal away the Oni Gauntlet containing the Genma Lord's Soul. He appears as Tenkai Nankobo in Dawn of Dreams
- Badass: From a common if excellent samurai to a feared, incredibly powerful demon-slayer who has defeated the forces of evil several times.
- Cultured Badass: A brave warrior capable of bisecting demons with ease, Samanosuke is also very wise and knowledgeable, and can speak multiple idioms thanks to his journeys on the Asian continent.
- Blade on a Stick: His Shippuu naginata, which is also a Double Weapon.
- Bow and Sword, in Accord: His ranged weapon is a longbow, equipped in 3 with elemental arrows.
- The Chosen One: For the Oni clan, as the bearer of the Oni Gauntlet.
- Cool Sword: Many of them.
- The Dreaded: Judging from a document found in the third game, most of the Genma are now terrified of him since he slew Gargant, their mightiest warrior.
- Dual Wielding: When using Tenso in 3.
- Elemental Powers:
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: The Onimusha Sword and the Genma Samonji in 3.
- Fusion Dance: Towards the end of Demon Siege, future!Samanosuke returns to his timeline, and fuses with the dying past!Samanosuke in order to become more powerful and defeat Nobunaga once and for all.
- The Hero
- Heroes Prefer Swords: About eleven of his Oni Weapons are swords.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Based on Hidemitsu Akechi (the son-in-law of the famous Mitsuhide) and severely upgraded.
- Important Haircut: The Samonoske of the past wears his hair in a ponytail, while his future self has long hair. (Demon Siege)
- Ink-Suit Actor: He's based on his voice actor Takeshi Kaneshiro.
- Infinity+1 Sword: The Bishamon Sword in the first game, the Onimusha Sword and the purified Genma Samonji in the third.
- Multi-Melee Master: A Master Swordsman with swords of all sizes, capable of Dual Wielding, using a bow and also spears and axes. By the time of Shin Onimusha his skills with spearmanship has further increased.
- Older Than They Look: He's in his 40s in Onimusha 3, but still looks as though he's in his 20s - this is due to the fact that his Oni powers prevent him from aging.
- One-Man Army: And we're talking about an army of demons.
- Pet the Dog: When he comforts Henri in 3 while they're held captive by Guildenstern.
- Primary-Color Champion: The official color of the Akechi clan is fire engine red.
- Red Baron: In case you couldn't tell from the above mentioned trope, he's mentioned as the "Red Onimusha" in Dawn of Dreams.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Offscreen, when he discovers that Gargant has killed Kaede.
- Samurai: He's no slouch as a Ninja either, as shown in the intro of the third game.
- Ship Tease: With Kaede.
- The Stoic
- Super Mode: The Onimusha mode gives him a large Battle Aura, purple skin, white hair and horns.
- Walking the Earth: He traveled across Japan and Asia.
Kaede is a young kunoichi from the Iga Clan. She was sent to kill Samanosuke for an unknown reason, but ends up joining him as a faithful companion and possible love interest. It is later revealed that she was killed by the Genma General Gargant and avenged by Samanosuke.
- Action Girl
- Dropped a Bridge on Her: Killed offscreen by Gargant sometime between Warlords and Demon Siege.
- Fragile Speedster: She's a lot more fragile than Samanosuke and doesn't hit as hard but is very quick. That's until she gets her upgraded dagger in which she's more of a Glass Cannon.
- Heel–Face Turn: Forms part of her backstory, as she chose to travel with Samanosuke rather than kill him.
- Highly Visible Ninja: Considering she wears orange...
- Ink-Suit Actor: Like Samanosuke, she's based on her voice actress.
Yumemaru /Keijiro Maeda
A young orphan adopted by princess Yuki who gets kidnapped when he tries to save her. He's met 12 years later in Blade Warriors where he's known as a powerful and kind warrior who fights alongside Kaede and Samanosuke.
- BFS: As Keiji, he wields a Nagamaki (a pole weapon with short handle and long blade) with a humongous curved blade.
- The Big Guy
- Bratty Half-Pint: He outgrows it.
- Expy/Captain Ersatz: He looks very similar to Sengoku Basara's Keiji. Considering that both titles are from Capcom....
- Gentle Giant: Despite looking large and powerful, he's very kind.
- Ink-Suit Actor: He too.
- Parental Abandonment: He was adopted by Yuki.
- Took a Level in Badass: Compare his younger self in Warlords with Keiji...
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Jubei Sekishusai Yagyu
The main character of the second game and initially referred to as Jubei Yagyu (not the historical Yagyu Jubei; here Jubei is the name given to the strongest youth in the village), he finds out that his village has been destroyed by the wicked Genma Lord Nobunaga. Armed with his newfound Oni powers and with powerful allies on his side, he start a quest to stop the evil Demon King. He eventually managed to kill Nobunaga, but he can't stop his soul from coming back again later and is eventually forced to go into hiding during Demon Siege. He's mentioned in Dawn of Dreams where its revealed that his true name is Sekishusai.
- Bad Ass Longcoat: Very well-decorated.
- Blade on a Stick: When using the Hyoujin Yari lance and the Senpuumaru dual-sword.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Drop the Hammer: The Dokotsui.
- Dull Surprise
- Elemental Powers: Like Samanosuke, each of his weapon emits a certain elemental magic: the Buraitou, Hyoujin Yari, Senpuumaru, Dokotsui and Rekka-Ken.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's half-human, half-Oni.
- Human Mom Non Human Dad: Gender-flipped - his father is human, his mother is an Oni.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Rekka-Ken, the sword of fire.
- Informed Ability: His skills as a swordsman are unknown, as he has very few sword-like weapons
- Ink-Suit Actor: Again.
- Pet the Dog: When he kills Gogandantess and agrees to comply his final wish.
- Power Glows: The Oni Mark on his left hand, which enables him to obtain weapons from the Dragon Sanctuaries
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Against Nobunaga, for slaying the Yagyu Clan.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Him and Oyu /Oichi.
- The Stoic
- Super Mode: He can turn into an Onimusha after absorbing five purple souls. During his final battle it comes complete with Arm Cannon.
Oyu of Odani / Oichi Oda
A mysterious swordswoman who sports Western armor and is seen around the Genma hideouts in Gifu Castle whose path crosses with Jubei. She's actually Oichi, Nobunaga's sister, who's attempting to defend Odani castle from her brother's armies of monsters. She's also in love with Jubei, but nothing really happens between them.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her secret "joke" outfit.
- Action Girl
- All Love Is Unrequited: With Jubei.
- Arranged Marriage: With Nagamasa Azai.
- Boobs of Steel
- Chickification: She starts the game off as a fairly strong and capable woman and is more than capable of kicking demon ass (when player-controlled, at least), but quickly turns into someone who is easily overpowered, has to be rescued a lot by Jubei (and even by Gogandantess on one occasion), and who falls over a lot. See Cutscene Incompetence below.
- Cleavage Window: Even more blatant with her second armor, which you can buy her.
- Cool Sword: A western broadsword, she later equips an indian rapier and a massive gladius.
- Cutscene Incompetence: Despite being capable of kicking asses, she's often seen endangered by Tokichiro. As well as during many other non-Tokichiro-related incidents.
- Distressed Damsel
- Disney Death: Seemingly falls to her death from the Oni Genbu after the collision with Gifu Castle, but later turns out alive.
- Driven to Suicide: In Dawn of Dreams, Ohatsu reveals that she killed herself after hearing of Katsuie's defeat at the hands of Hideyoshi in order to not fall into his hands.
- It's Personal
- Knife Nut: Her secondary weapon are throwing daggers.
- Longing Look: Towards Jubei, several times.
- Orbital Kiss / Last Kiss: With Jubei, if her goodwill towards him is high enough.
- Shower Scene / Waterfall Shower
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Her and Jubei.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Less forgiving that Kaede as she's supposedly in a armor.
A fat and jolly warrior monk who enjoys liquor and women and food. He's Magoichi's rival and has a past as warlord. He fights the Genma with his trusty Hozoin Spear.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: His spear can cut a bottle neatly in half by flying over it.
- Badass: Though it doesn't look like at a first glance, Ekei is a force to be reckoned with if he has to.
- Bald of Awesome
- Big Eater: "Good food is one of my weaknesses!"
- Big Fun: Although he does have a darker side.
- Blade on a Stick: A Hozoin Spear (which is a spear with a cutting edge). Later upgradable to a chinese pike and then to a Halberd.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Dark and Troubled Past: The deaths of his family left a mark on him deep down.
- Doesn't Like Guns: He refers to Magoichi as a "coward" for using firearms. Magoichi accuses him of being "too old-fashioned".
- Drowning My Sorrows: Implied.
- Face–Heel Turn: If your score of friendship with him is minimal.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- My Greatest Failure: He couldn't save his wife or his baby daughter Numa from his burning castle, and he freaks out when he comes across a crying baby in Gifu Castle.
- Nun Too Holy: Ok, He's a warrior-monk, but still...
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Magoichi.
- The Rival: To Magoichi.
- Sad Clown: Boisterous, jovial, womanazing and affable, he actually still suffers from the deaths of his wife and daughter.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Magoichi.
- Why Did It Have To Be Mice?: Though unlike most instances, seeing a mouse doesn't paralyze him with fear - it makes him unleash a monumental can of whoop-ass on some nearby Genma, as they're blocking the only passage out of the room (and away from the mouse).
The leader of the Saiga Musket Team and a fine marksman, he's a quiet, intelligent warrior who loves to read books.
- Badass Bookworm: He loves books, especially about history and strategy.
- BFG: His Goraishinki and Flamethrower weapons.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially when Ekei is involved.
- Defector from Decadence: Working for Nobunaga pays the bills. However, when the Genma indiscriminately target Magoichi's home village, even this hardened merc realizes that Nobunaga must be stopped.
- Doomed Hometown: Magoichi is trying to avert this.
- Genius Bruiser: A powerful fighter who also enjoys reading books and crafting new inventions.
- Gun Fu
- Improbable Aiming Skills: He nailed a moth to a wooden beam to scare Ekei off.
- Kill It with Fire: The Flamethrower. Just walk while the enemies in front of you are set ablaze by a stream of hot fiery death.
- Old Master: To Ohatsu in the fourth game.
- Only in It for the Money: Averted when Nobunaga turns his sights on Magoichi's home village.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Ekei.
- Rebel Relaxation
- The Rival: To Ekei.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ekei.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Sure, he does have a coat but nothing else under it on the chest, except maybe for a piece of armor.
The young leader of the Fuuma Clan serving the Hojo, he's a cheerful shinobi who helps Jubei on his journey. He's really curious about the surrounding world and is distrustful of women.
- Collector of the Strange: He likes many "exotic" gifts, including a compass, a Nice Hat, a fable book and a crystal ball.
- Dual Wielding: He wields ninja blades.
- Freudian Excuse: His dislike of women is due to his belief that his mother abandoned him.
- Killed Off for Real:If Jubei has a high friendship level with him, Kotaro saves Oyu from Ginghamphatts but gets speared in the back.
- Lightning Bruiser: Faster than the other characters, can also jump over tall obstacles and cliffs.
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
An active member of the General Directorate for External Security in Paris and the second main character in 3. When Paris is invaded by the Genma, he fights them, but as Samanosuke arrives, a mysterious "dome" sent him five hundreds years in the past, where he's charged by the Oni Guardians with the task of slaying the Genma and helping Past Samanosuke on his way. Armed with a second Oni Gautlet and the Oni Whip, he fight his way to come back from the past and defeat the Genma.
- Badass Biker: Albeit briefly...
- Badass Longcoat
- Berserk Button: Do not harm those he cares about. Just... don't.
- The Chosen One: He's the only other character besides Samanosuke who was entrusted with a Oni Gauntlet, and the first Western one at that.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Epic Flail: His Hyosai mace.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: His Elemental Weapons in the game: Enja, Hyosai, and Raisen respectively.
- Gun Fu: He uses his gun as a sidearm to attack his whip-bound target or nail him with bullets as a coup-de-grace. And it is awesome.
- Ink-Suit Actor
- It's Personal: After Henri is killed by Ranmaru (he gets better), Jacques beats Ranmaru to death with his bare hands.
- Jean Reno
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: At one point, while in Mount Saint Michel.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: How he kills both Ranmaru in the past and Genma Ranmaru in the present.
- Papa Wolf: And how!
- Power Fist: The Oni Gauntlet. Which he uses to pommel Ranmaru to death.
- Power Glows: The "Rings" around said Gauntlet will change in color depending on the weapon currently equipped.
- Whip It Good: Along with the Oni Gauntlet he receives a Oni Whip, which becomes his weapon of choice. All his weapons have a whip motif, which he can use to bind enemies and reach certain places with Oni Fireflies.
- Whip Sword: The Enja. He also acquires the Raisen, which is a dual-bladed multi-sectioned spear with jagged blades.
Jacques' girlfriend and a officer of the French Army who aids Samanosuke in his quest.
- Action Girl
- Bad Ass Normal: Her only supernatural help is a bracelet which allows her to take the souls, but that's it.
- BFG: Her Grenade Launcher.
- Fanservice: Her secret costume is a tiny bath towel. And her normal outfit still sport a gratuitous cleavage.
- Fonzarelli Fix: Against the boat in Boulogne Zoo.
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: Like Oyu, she's competent in gameplay, but she gets owned twice in cutscenes. Then again, it's more forgivable than Oyu, as in the second occasion she's rammed by a beast the size of a rhino.
- Gun Fu: Her assault rifle, now avaible with Shotgun, Precision Rifle and Grenade Launcher.
- Mama Bear: Towards Henri.
- Standard Female Grab Area: Variation, Guildenstern grabs her in the back of the neck while she's distracted.
Heihachiro "Heihachi" Tadakatsu Honda
A vassal of Tokugawa Ieyasu who's complied to work alongside with the genma, but has other plans. Wields the Genma Tonbo spear.
- Adaptational Wimp: In most adaptations of Sengoku-era Japan, Tadakatsu is considered the strongest warrior of his time, and survives into the Edo era. Here, he's only just as powerful as any other playable character and is killed off before Hideyoshi's rise to power.
- Almost Dead Guy: Found in this state by Jacques, still manages to tell him where to find Nobunaga.
- Bad Ass
- Blade on a Stick: His Genma Tonbo spear.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: His super mode has him slowly marching forward as he twirls his spear, whose blade turns red for the duration of the move.
- Guest Star Party Member: Subverted, he offers to join the heroes, but Jacques tell him to stay inside Azuchi as a mole.
- Heel–Face Turn: Arguably, since he wasn't really evil to begin with.
- Hero of Another Story: Avaible as a special mode after completing the game, which explains what he was doing in the Oni Temple.
- Honda Tadakatsu: Unlike traditional depictions, he's rather affable and doesn't wear his trademark antler helm or fearsome armor.
- Killed Off for Real: Killed in an ambush by Ranmaru and his minions.
- Punch Clock Villain
- Recurring Boss: He's fought twice.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Half of his chest is bared.
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Kusuda (JP), David Beron (EN).
The main Hero of Dawn of Dreams, he's a powerful warrior clad in a blue armor that stand against the evil Hideyoshi and burn down the "Cherry Trees" (Actually Genma Trees) which are gathered from all Japan. He'll soon find himself allied with four other characters with great powers and work with them in order to stop the Genma and their plans for The End of the World as We Know It. He's actually the avatar of the Oni God of Darkness, destinated to slay Fortinbras at the cost of his own life. His true name is Hideyasu Yuki, and he's the bastard son of Tokugawa Ieyasu.
- Badass: Just in the introduction of the game he slays countless demons and destroys two giant Genma alone.
- BFS: His entire arsenal is composed of Huge Broadswords.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Minokichi and Jubei.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He may be known as the "Black Oni", but he's a good guy. A scroll found on Mount Hiei mentions that he risks to turn evil and destructive, but after recovering the Oni Orb said risk is reduced.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Diagonal Cut: How he deals with the Genma Colossus at the beginning. See also Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Heroic Sacrifice / The Hero Dies
- Holding Back the Phlebotinum: Implied to be the reason why he only gains his Onimusha transformation late in the game after dislpaying it in the intro: apparently he was holding back for Hideyoshi.
- Holy Hand Grenade: His Requiem sword is a sword-shaped grenade. When used it can purify the hit enemy and release extra purple souls.
- Infinity+1 Sword: The Gokumonji sword used by Samanosuke to kill Nobunaga in 3 found in the Dark Realm.
- It's Personal: Against his former liege and foster father Hideyoshi.
- It Was a Gift: His initial sword "Lamentation" was a gift from his mother before she vanished mysteriously.
- Leitmotif: Blue Oni.
- Let's Get Dangerous: As he quickly reminds to Munenori.Soki:" I forgot to tell you: I'm one enemy you don't wanna make either."
- Oblivious to Love: Seemigly towards Jubei.
- Oh Crap!: His reaction when Hideyoshi recovers from the battle, revealing that his Onimusha Powers where not enough.
- One-Man Army: See the intro.
- Pet the Dog: His tender moments towards Jubei, Ohatsu and Minokichi.
- Physical God: He's the avatar of the God of Darkness, the Black Oni. As a result, he could be the most powerful being in existance, even stronger than the Onimusha.
- Power Glows: The Requiem sword.
- Razor Wind: A few of Soki's sword, including his Infinity+1 Sword can do this, a feature shared with some of Jubei's swords.
- Red Baron: "Oni of the Ash". Also "Black Oni".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Color-swapped Red Oni to Tenkai.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Against Hideyoshi
- Say My Name: "HIIIIDEYOSHIIIIIIII!!!" (cue to Single-Stroke Battle)
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: He witnessed the horrors of the Korean campaign and the use of Genma insects on soldiers to make them unstoppable.
- Sticks to the Back: Requiem.
- That Man Is Dead: The main reason why he goes by the name of Soki. More noticeable against OhatsuOhatsu:" I'll have to shoot you... ''Hideyasu Yuki''!!Soki:"... I no longer go by that name..".
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Requiem again.
- 24-Hour Armor: And he always looks so good in it!
Jubei Akane Yagyu
Sekishusai's granddaughter, she's the strongest swords
- Break the Cutie: During the course of the game she endures several nasty shocks.
- Counter Attack: Her Quick Draw is, in short, this: upon taking her defensive stance she counters any attack with a iaido attack.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Her musical theme is quite nice. Seen in her boss fight. Here.
- Eyepatch of Power: After the battle against Fortinbras she wears a sword hilt as an eyepatch.
- I Shall Taunt You: As an ally, she can taunt enemies to draw attention away from Soki.
- It's Personal: Her fight against Munenori, especially the third and fourth, which are one-on-one duels against him.
- Katanas Are Just Better: One of her combo styles even turns her into a Iaijutsu Practitioner.
- Petite Pride: She doesn't want a big chest. It will only be in the way.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: The smallest of all the playable characters, can still pack a punch.
- Time Master: Her "Onimusha form" allow her to use her Demon Eye to slow down the time.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the Tomboy and Ohatsu the Girly Girl. Soki even thinks she should at least try to sound more proper.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Seen with her combo of greaves and vest.
Voiced By: Sanae Kobayashi (JP), Nika Futterman (EN)
One of Hideyoshi's retainers, is a musket-wielding woman and an old friend (and love interest) of Soki. She first try to persuade Soki into joining the Toyotomi, but eventually she sides with him. In the finale is shown that she's married another man, but her heart will always be with Soki.Ohatsu's specialties are firearms and explosives. She can unseal doors locked with genma and use her grappling tool to swing across to areas normally inaccessible by any other means. Furthermore, she can snipe determinated targets to make them work and she can provide you with stunning cover fire.
- Action Girl: Becomes more evident after being fred by Munenori's control.
- Attack Drone: Can summon these for her Limit Break, in imitation of Nobunaga. How she inherited her originally-human uncle's abilities through blood is never addressed.
- Bare Your Midriff: After some serious Clothing Damage, her new outfit as this.
- Body Horror: She's infected with genma insects until Soki purifies her.
- Demolitions Expert: She can use gunpowder and explosives against her foes.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: An Armlet.
- The Gunslinger: Her whole arsenal is based on guns and rifles of all types, ranging from shotguns to explosive guns to laser guns.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Macross Missile Massacre/Robo Teching: Her Awakening summons a barrage of missiles that can target and home in on enemies.
- Master of Unlocking: She can remove genma locks with special explosives.
- Nice Hairband / Hair Decorations
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Soki.
- Stripperific: Her outfit after the first one get destroyed.
- Tsundere: Type 2
Voiced By: Hideo Ishikawa (JP), Josh Keaton (EN)
A white-haired monk wearing a red armor who knows many secrets regarding the Oni and the Genma who meet and fight Soki and Jubei at Sawayama and start forming the group anti-Hideyoshi. He makes a Heroic Sacrifice in order to save Soki and Ohatsu but eventually gets better and comes back to the fight. He's actually Samanosuke.Tenkai has the ability to speak with the souls of the dead for hints and key items. He can also increase your strength by praying.
- Blade on a Stick: Can use spears and halberds.
- The Comically Serious
- Cool Old Guy: He doesn't look too old, but...
- Everything's Better with Spinning: His special move "Enlightenment".
- Genius Bruiser: Turns out he can speak Spanish pretty well.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Takes Hideyoshi's attack so that Soki and Ohatsu can escape to savety.
- Holy Hand Grenade: He can throw purifying spell tags that explode upon enemy contact. One of his techniques can turn an enemy good for a short duration.
- Light 'em Up: His Awakening imbues his weapon with holy power and the ability to use "Light Arrow".
- Malevolent Masked Man: At first in Sawayama.
- Previous Player-Character Cameo
- Theme Naming: His weapons are named after gods and concepts of Induism.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: A Color-swapped Blue Oni to Soki's Red Oni
- Simple Staff: His Weapon of Choice.
- The Smart Guy
Voiced By: Wataru Hatano (JP), Juan Monsalvez (EN)
A huge Westerner who was born and raised in Japan by the Portuguese priest Luis Frois. However, when Luis turned evil he was abandoned and now he's seeking revenge on his foster father. Joins Soki after being rescued by him. he eventually manage to free Luis and kill the demon Rosencrantz.His immense physical strength allows him to move heavy objects and levers, as well as opening heavy iron doors by punching them.He can also go berserk and attack recklessly the enemies without losing HP.
- Bad Ass: Not many Onimusha can tear Genma apart with their bare hands.
- The Big Guy
- Boxing Battler: He has the "Exorcising Beads" Gaia Uranos implanted in his arms, so that he can tear Genma aparts with his bare hands and destroy the Dark Stones. While powerful, he has considerably less range than other characters. Plus, he cannot dodge by dashing away (he bobs and weaves).
- But Not Too Foreign: He's half-Spanish, half-Japanese. This was the cause of a lot of harassment towards him and his mother, to the point he refused to speak Japanese. However, he begins to open up to Soki and company due to their kindness and understanding.
- Character Development: The first time he appears he's grouchy, unresponsive and refuses to talk to the other companions. After being saved again he warms up and reveals his true colors and ultimately ends up considering Soki and the others as True Companions.
- Gentle Giant: His favorite book is Romeo and Juliet.
- Genius Bruiser
- Gratuitous Spanish: The first time you meet him.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Ohatsu.
- Nice Hat: He's always wearing a bowler cap.
- Power Fist: Gloves and Gauntlets are his weapons of choice.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Against Luis Frois.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: His special Limit Break move.
- The Quiet One: In the first part of the game he doesn't even speak outside of cutscenes.
- Theme Naming: His strongest weapons are named after arch-angels.
- You Will Not Evade Me: Death Grip.
The wicked warlord from Owari, in this series he was killed at Okehazama, only to be resurrected by the Genma in order to be their vassal in the conquest of Japan. After Fortinbras' demise he take over his throne and becomes the new Genma Lord and start his brutal conquest with the help of the Genma. He's vanquished but not totally defeated by Jubei Yagyu in Samurai's Destiny but comes back even stronger in Demon Siege where he attempt to conquer the present and future at the same time, but is finally killed by Samanosuke and sealed forever inside the Oni Gauntlet.
- Badass Cape
- Badass Mustache
- Cool Sword: His Weapon of Choice. Revealed to be a Whip Sword in Demon Siege.
- Counter Attack: Remember that really useful Issen attack of yours that enable you to severly damage a boss if you parry in time? Well, He Can Do That in 3. Have fun...
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: He became the new Genma Lord.
- Elemental Powers: The same as Jubei's in 2, while in 3 he uses the familiar trio Fire Wind Lightning
- Evil Overlord
- Face Death with Dignity: "A man's life is 50 years... but a blink of the eye in the cosmos""
- Flaming Hair: His final form in the third game.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Okay, Lord Nobunaga wasn't really a nice guy to begin with, but...
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: An arrow through the neck.
- Kill It with Fire: Like his historical counterpart, he likes to do that.
- Load-Bearing Boss: After his defeat in the second game.
- One-Winged Angel: Twice in 2 (His demon form and later the Golden Evil Statue) and once in 3.
- Orcus on His Throne: In all the games he appears he's only met and fought at the very end.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Sealed Evil in a Can: his soul is sealed inside the Oni Gauntlet, who uses part of his powers to power up Soki in the battle against Fortinbras.
- Spikes of Villainy: On his armor.
- Take Over the World: Starting with Japan. Demon Siege one-ups this by having him starting a simultaneous invasion of both present and future.
- Took A Level In Bad Ass: From "The Fool of Owari" to Lord of the Genma.
- We Will Meet Again: To Jubei Yagyu in the second game.
A skinny, evil Genma scientist who resurrected Nobunaga with genma powers and created many horrible monsters to unleash against Samanosuke. He's a heartless monster who did many awful deeds in the name of science. In 3 he plays a larger role by building and activating the Time Folder, a machine that enables Time Travel and use its powers to plan a Genma invasion in France 2002, but is eventually stopped by Samanosuke once and for all.
- Badass Cape: In Demon Siege.
- Bare Your Midriff: A rare (and, let's face it, squicky) male example in Warlords and Blade Warriors.
- Black Comedy: Often. Perhaps the best example is his excited "And what's this? Ooh, a liver!" whilst in the middle of dissecting some poor sod.
- Boss Banter
- Card-Carrying Villain
- Detachable Lower Half: Does this so that he can hover out of reach in his boss battle.
- The Dragon: To Nobunaga.
- Establishing Character Moment: His introduction, in which he's gleefully experimenting on an unfortunate human. See Black Comedy above.
- Evil Genius
- Evil Gloating: Often.
- Evil Is Hammy
- Evil Laugh: All the time.
- Evil Sounds Deep: He has a deep, distorted voice in the Japanese dub, in stark contrast to his eerily high-pitched voice in the English dub.
- Fantastic Racism: He loathes humans (their internal organs aside) and often refers to them as "maggots".
- Flunky Boss: During his boss fight he summons two Fobora (Dark Puppets) to help him. And if you kill them, he'll revive them. Again and again.
- For Science!: Seen often in his diaries.
- For the Evulz
- The Ghost: In the second game he's mentioned a couple of times but never encountered.
- Large Ham: He absolutely devours the scenery whenever he's on-screen.
- Lean and Mean: He's basically a walking skeleton.
- Mad Scientist: To the bone.
- Moral Myopia: When Guildenstern travels to the 2002 he makes diary notes about encountering a zoo. Not only can he not understand any motive for confining animals in such a fashion besides cruel experimentation, but he's outraged that humans dare do such a thing to "creatures they are barely above". Yes, the guy who does nothing but experiment on humans is outraged at the thought of human experimenting on animals. He "helps" the animals to seek revenge by turning them into Genma, which kills most of the species he experiments on.
- No Indoor Voice
- Ominous Latin Chanting: Whenever he appears in the third game and during his Boss Battle.
- Plagiarism in Fiction: He copied many of the Oni projects (especially those regarding the Time Folder) while claiming that there's nothing wrong with it if it's for the Genma's progress.
- Power Glows: When you fight him, he glows light green and can engulf his staff in flames.On the other hand the red glow means that he's vulnerable to attacks.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Time Master: He managed to build a Time Folder, but doesn't know how to make it work properly. By the time Samanosuke has killed him however he has finally made a stable Time Folder ready to operate.
- Would Hurt a Child: He proves this when he fully intends to dissect Henri alive before turning him into a Genma.Guildenstern: How I love children. Their organs are so fresh and soft...
The first serious opponent faced by Samanosuke, is a huge, clumsy demon with large fangs and a club who kidnaps Princess Yuki. He's killed by Samanosuke's Raizan sword. However he still makes some cameos in the second game and he has even a statue in Dawn Of Dreams
- The Brute
- Carry a Big Stick: Wields a Kanabo.
- Dumb Muscle
- Evil Sounds Deep / Guttural Growler
- Knight of Cerebus: He's the main reason why Samanosuke needs the help of the Oni in the first place.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Many small fangs and two huge tusks to his name.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: You may have Raizan now, but he's still very dangerous.
A Former Oni warrior who was killed and turned into a Genma by Guildenstern. He faces Samanosuke and later Jacques several times in the first and third games and even makes a cameo in Dawn of Dreams where he attempt to kill Soki in the Oni Mansion but is bested. His role is also to remind Samanosuke what could happen to him if he fails to control his powers.
- Alas, Poor Villain
- BFS: A scimitar in 1 and a strange, large broadsword which can grow larger in 3.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Sort of.
- Dual Wielding: His ultimate form in 1 gives him a large blade in each hand.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: A Gauntlet-Shield. He discarc it halfway through the battle.
- One-Winged Angel: He gets powered up in 1
- Recurring Boss: Seriously, you'll have to fight him a lot.
- Shock and Awe: In 3 he can give you a nasty shock with his greatsword.
- Tragic Monster
- Turns Red: In 3 after suffering enough damage he'll discard the shield and make his BFS bigger and zappy.
A female genma that appears in Warlord she face Samanosuke in her giant, wasp-like form with her children but after a long, difficult battle she's killed. In Dawn of Dreams a boss that bears and uncanny resemblance to her appears in Sawayama Castle in one room.
- Fanservice: Her trnasformattion to her demon form from human can be this, or...
- Fan Disservice: Depending on your tastes, of course.
- Flunky Boss: She constantly summons Genma to attack you.
- Giant Flyer: She spends all her time hovering over the arena.
- Identical Stranger: The boss in Sawayama Castle in Shin Onimusha who looks incredibly similar, except for the fact that she's stuck to a wall.
- Mook Maker
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: A giant wasp-woman with breasts.
Demon King Fortinbras
The King of the Genma, he's a huge, dragon-like demon with three eyes that rule over the Genma. He plans to turn Nobunaga into his powerful, immortal vassal in a dark ritual which involves drinking Yuki's blood in her skull but he's stopped in time and killed by Samanosuke with the powers of the Onimusha. Note, this character refers to Fortinbras in Warlords, for Fortinbras as God of Light see below.
- Attack Its Weak Point: The tail.
- Big Bad
- Breath Weapon: Breaths fire.
- Blow You Away: Can summon tornadoes.
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: He's the current Demon King of the Genma.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Has the deepest voice in the game he appears in.
- Eye Beams: Can shoot Laser beams.
- Eye Scream: How Onimusha-Samanosuke kills him.
- Final Boss
- Giant Flyer: He has a pair of dragon-like wings, but he doesn't fly during the battle
- Large and in Charge: The leader of the Genma in first game and by far the largest.
- The Man Behind the Man: To Nobunaga.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family
- One-Hit Kill: He has a move that involves grabbing Samanosuke, squeezing him, and breathing fire on him.
- Orcus on His Throne: So much so that you don't even see him till the boss fight with him.
- Shock and Awe: Can use lightning as well.
Tokichiro Kinoshita / Toyotomi Hideyoshi
Starts out as a little devious samurai who serves Nobunaga and often appears to mock Samanosuke or Jubei. After 3 he Took A Level In Bad Ass and took the place of Nobunaga as ruler of the land and the new unofficial Genma Lord. Is actually revealed that he's just a pawn for the Triumvirate and gets a Death Equals Redemption moment
- A God Am I: Often, and justified by his powers.
- Big Bad: After he succeeds Nobunaga.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Since Nobunaga's death.
- Death Equals Redemption
- Depraved Dwarf: Not literally a dwarf, but he is very short and very repulsive at the same time.
- Dirty Coward: He stands no chance against either Samanosuke and Jubei, and he knows.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: For all his faults in Dawn of Dreams he seems to genuinely love Hideyori and Yodo.
- Evil Genius: He can come up with more practical ideas than Guildenstern.
- Evil Overlord: Becomes this at the end of Onimusha 3.
- Giant Space Flea From No Where: In the last fight he drives a Giant Genma Robot made of Bamboo.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Just like Nobunaga and many others.
- Karma Houdini: In the first two games.
- Light Is Not Good: Claims to wield the power of Light and can summon shocking orbs of purple light in battle.
- My God, What Have I Done?: A genuine one on his deathbed, in front of Soki, Ohatsu and Yodo.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: At the end of the third game.
- Smug Snake: And how.
- Took A Level In Bad Ass: From Smug Snake to Evil Overlord.
- Voice of the Legion: During the ending of Onimusha 3.
- We Can Rule Together: To Soki, but he refuses.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Ophelia to him after his defeat. But she simply removes the unhatched God of Light rather than kill Hideyoshi.
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
One of Nobunaga's generals, Ginghamphatts is a large, cocky, spider-like demon who claims to be immortal and attacks Jubei frequently during the course of the game. He finally meet his fate during their last fight on the top of Gifu's main tower. He holds the "Strength" Orb
- An Axe to Grind: His second weapon.
- The Battle Didn't Count
- Bullfight Boss: The second battle with him in the forest has traits of this.
- Detachable Lower Half
- Disney Villain Death: Into a pit of fire, no less.
- The Dragon: To Nobunaga.
- Drop the Hammer: His final weapon is a ludicrously humongous sledgehammer with the Strength Orb encased in it.
- Dual Boss: During the last fight, he and his lower half split and you have to attack his now-floating upper half while dodging his spider half. It backfires against him.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: He has a giant eye on his abdomen (not to mention teeth).
- Kill It with Fire: He finally kicks the bucket after he falls into a fiery pit in the middle of the tower.Jubei: "Try to come back from that."
- Immortality: Retroactive Immortality. He does finally die after the third boss fight against him.
- Large and in Charge
- Large Ham
- No Indoor Voice
- Powerful Pick: His first weapon, as shown above. Makes sense, as he's inside a mine and certain strikes can casually spawn Gold if they hit the ground.
- Recurring Boss
- Skippable Boss: If your Relationship Values with Magoichi are the highest at the end of the game, he'll test his new Bamboo Technology bazooka on him, killing him with one shot.
The self-proclaimed Greatest Swordsman of All Demons, he's an arrogant and skilled swordmaster who fights Jubei several times, seeing in him a worthy opponent. He's quite a Ham and is protected by a magical shield of energy. Is also considerably less evil than the rest of the Genma. He holds the "Respect" Orb.
- Affably Evil
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Badass: He beats Jubei in the first two fights him.
- Barrier Warrior: He's surrounded by an invisible, powerful barrier.
- The Battle Didn't Count
- Boss Banter: Rare, but it does happen sometimes.
- Catch Phrase: Do you really need to ask?
- Cool Sword: His glowing longsword, the Oni Slayer.
- Cradling Your Kill: Jubei does this after mortally wounding him.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: He comes across as extremely chauvinistic towards the end, when he arrogantly claims that it is the duty of men to rescue "weak" women. Alternatively he was being Tsundere towards her.
- Evil Laugh: Rare, but awesome when he decides to do one.
- Face Death with Dignity: He considers his defeat at the hands of Jubei as an honorable way to go.
- Go Out with a Smile: After Jubei grants his final request.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The first with him is impossible to even damage him.
- Improbable Hairstyle
- Incoming Ham: Let's see.. tossing your sword blade-first into the ground? Check. Landing with perfect balance on the hilt of said sword a second later? Check. Laugh? Hell yeah....
- Kissing The Blade: He does this in his introductory cutscene.
- Large Ham: "MY Name is GOOGANDANTESS! The Grreatest Swordsman of ALL... Demons!"
- Lightning Bruiser: Swift as a dancer, strong as a hurricane.
- Monster Knight
- Noble Demon: A literal example, at that.
- Orgasmic Combat: He leans towards this somewhat.
- Pet the Dog: His rescue of Oyu.
- Running Gag: His constant repetition of his Catch Phrase, much to Jubei's annoyance.
- Say My Name: See above for his hamminess. Used in a sadder fashion during his last breath.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Not an in-game example, but, on the packaging for his official action figure, his name is misspelled as "Gogandantes".
- Villainous Rescue: When he saves Oyu from certain death.
- Worthy Opponent: To Jubei.
An old Genma crone and self-proclaimed concubine of Nobunaga Oda. She's the last of his lieutenants to show up and the first to be killed by Jubei. Is extremely vain and confident of her looks. She possess the "Honesty" Orb, embedded in her purse.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Towards Nobunaga.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her younger self, Juju-ran, has one heck of a cleavage.
- Acrofatic: Faster than she looks.
- Berserk Button: Don't make insulting comments about the way she looks.
- Dark Action Girl
- Fat Bastard
- I Was Quite a Looker: Compare her present self◊ with her past self, Juju-ran◊.
- Improbable Weapon User: A Parasol which can shoot energy blasts and a bladed purse.
- Parasol of Pain
- She's Got Legs: As Juju-ran.
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Nobunaga and Jubei.
- Sword Cane: As Juju-ran, she has a sword hidden in the handle of her parasol.
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
The General of the Genma army and the strongest Genma warrior. He kills Kaede offscreen and is later slain by Samanosuke. However, he comes Back from the Dead and appears in the fourth game as the last guardian of the Oni Mansion and later as the Final Boss of the Dark Realm.
- Badass: The strongest Genma warrior, perhaps even more so than Gogandatess.
- Back from the Dead: In Dawn of Dreams.
- Boss Banter: He speaks almost non-stop during his fight.
- Cool Sword: A Kukri-like magical blue sword. You have to destroy it before you can damage him.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Early-Bird Cameo: He appears as a playable character in Onimusha Blade Warriors and is the only character from that game introduced in Onimusha 3. Given his role in Onimusha 3 perhaps including Jacques or Ranmaru instead would have made more sense.
- Flunky Boss: Reach the deepest bottom of the Dark Realm and he appears along with three Dark Genma Generals, the strongest breed and probably the strongest non-boss enemy in game fullstop.
- Graceful Loser: Takes his death in stride, laughing as he explodes.
- Informed Ability: All There in the Manual. Subverted in the fourth game, where you can have a taste of his power.
- Magic Knight: A skilled swordsman who can still attack with fireballs and shockwaves.
- Master Swordsman: As shown in the intro, he can even outmatch Samanosuke.
- Obviously Evil: Look at him.
- Offstage Villainy: We never actually see him killing Kaede.
- Oh Crap!: Has this reaction upon realizing that Samanosuke ended up on the vital platform hanging right over the colossal Genma's brain, which ends up causing the destruction of the whole army.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
- Worthy Opponent: Seems to consider Samanosuke one, insisting on fighting him one on one.
Nobunaga Oda's young retainer, is a sneaky, soft-spoken samurai that serves the demon lord. In Samanosuke's timeline he's cut down by the samurai and his body is sucked inside the Time Folder. He gets turned into a psychotic genma by Guildenstern and fight Samanosuke several times.
- Ax-Crazy: His Genma self is completely batshit crazy.
- Battle Butler: Self-proclaimed head retainer of the Oda Family.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: As a Genma.
- Came Back Wrong: Guildenstern found his corpse in the future and used it to turn Ranmaru into a Genma.
- The Dragon: To Nobunaga in the past timeline and to Guildenstern in the present.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Unlike what's stated on the manual though, noone mistakes him for a woman.
- Evil Makes You Ugly: His Genma form has taken a toll on his appearence.
- Kill It with Fire: As a Genma, he can hurl fireballs at you.
- No Indoor Voice: As a Genma, anyway. He's fairly soft-spoken as a human.
- Not Quite Dead: His Genma self, towards the end of the game. Jacques quickly rectifies it.
- Sissy Villain: Very young, still pretty, violet clothes....
- Smug Snake
- Took a Level in Badass: When he's a Genma he's far more deadly.
- We Can Rebuild Him
Guildenstern's pet and keeper of the Oni Underwater Temple, is a huge, two headed dog monster who's encountered by both Samanosuke and Jacques.
- An Ice Person: One of her heads spits Ice, and can create a lightning-reflecting dome or freeze you into a Human Popsicle.
- Body Armor as Hit Points: Not exactly, but as you damage her the armor she wears shatter.
- Breath Weapon: Ice.
- Bull Fight Boss: She'll often charge at you. Jacques at least can use the Oni Firefly to jump over her to dodge.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Seriously, who on this earth could name such a beast "Gertrude"?! Oh, that's right.. Guildenstern.
- Giant Space Flea From No Where: The first time as Jacques is foreshadowed by Ranmaru, but against Samanosuke she simply pops out of a boulder and Ako says something about "having awakened from a 400 year old sleep".
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family
- Power Glows: When she's about to charge you she'll glow in a blue/yellow light.
- Shock and Awe: Her other head summons lightning orbs.
- Taken for Granite: After being defeated by Jacques, which may explain how it ended up encased into a boulder outside of Mount Saint Michel.
- That One Boss
Nobunaga's wife and Queen of the Genma, she's a despotical, beautiful demoness who's in charge of the works on Azuchi Castle. She's met several times by Jacques and finally fought and killed in the top room of the castle.
- Dark Action Girl: Fights for her husband with a moveset worthy of a ninja.
- Femme Fatalons: Her nails, without counting the giant red claws on her other set of arms.
- Knife Nut: She uses a series of long knives as her main weapon.
- Multiarmed And Dangerous: Her two long, red, demonic arms.
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Voiced By: Shozo Iizuka (JP)A samurai who served the Oda and now the Toyotomi. Once a man, he ate a large number of Genma Insects and turned into a massive Genma General. He's leading a caravan of "Cherry Trees" when he's ambushed by Soki in a outpost in Suruga plains. Despite his boasting he gets killed by the Oni of the Ash
- BFS: Like all the Generals, he wields a huge broadsword
- Boss Banter: "Ruffian... you Will PAY!!"
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Partly averted, since he was quite a bastard even before eating the insects
- Degraded Boss: In a twisted, reversed way: the Genma Generals you meet later are a Palette Swapped version of him, but they're all far stronger.
- Dumb Muscle
- Flunky Boss: "Minions!!"
- Malevolent Masked Man: Like all the Generals, his face is hidden under a mask
- Mighty Glacier
- Playing with Fire: He can summon a gushing stream of fire from the soil.
Mitsunari Ishida /Claudius
Voiced By: Norio Wakamoto (JP), Alastair Duncan (EN)
Hideyoshi's right-hand man, is a wicked, malevolent lord who researched the Genma demons and become enticed with their powers. He used the Genma Trees to create Genma Insects, which were used to turn soldiers into fierce, restless demons. He also offered his body to the Genma Triumvirate member Claudius as a vessel, and he's so evil that its unknown where one begins and the other ends. He faces our heroes multiple times during the story. He's finally killed by Sakon Shima and the Genma Claudius is slain first by our heroes in Kyushu and later by Tenkai in Kyoto.
- Affably Evil: He's always polite.
- Animal Motifs: The Mukade (Centipede), seen in his armor and hat.
- Bad Boss: When Sakon is defeated for the third time and sinks into the sea, he leaves him there to die.
- Back from the Dead: Claudius, after falling on the facility and exploding, reappears in Kyoto, probably thanks to the Omen Star.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The guardians of his fortress are two huge, insect-like monsters. Claudius true form is that of a giant centipede
- Body Horror: When he turns his arm into a swarm of large centipedes
- Card-Carrying Villain: Like Ranmaru, he's simply EVIL. Full stop.
- Creepy Centipedes
- The Dragon: To Hideyoshi
- Dragon-in-Chief: He acts a lot to make sure his plans are complete.
- Face–Heel Turn: During his boss fight he can turn your characters against each other.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Oh boy...
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Thanks, Sakon.
- Jerk Ass
- Obviously Evil: You can touch his evilness from a mile away!
- One-Winged Angel: After his second defeat he gets killed by Sakon Shima and Claudius reveal his true, gigantic form.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Always seen with him. Like the one from Samurai Warriors.
- Poisonous Person: He can leave around spots of poisonous purple miasma.
- Power Floats: His standard way to move around in battle.
- Tentacle Rope: He can turn his arm into a mass of shambling centipedes
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After getting Claudius stabbed out of him and being carried off by Sakon, Mitsunari is never seen again.
Munenori Mataemon Yagyu
Voiced By: Keiji Fujiwara (JP), Josh Keaton (EN)
Munenori is a master swordsman from the Yagyu clan who defected them and sided with the Genma. He's and evil Jerk Ass who has a penchant for ravens and wields two swords at once. Akane's mission is to find him and kill him. He too has the Demon Eye. After the third battle it's revealed that he infected himself with Genma Insects to become more powerful and later even tries to take down Fortinbras by himself, but gets owned. Apparently, he's still alive at the end of the game.
- Ax-Crazy: He hates swordfights, but has nothing against gore.
- Bad Ass Boast:Munenori:" I warn you: I'm one enemy you don't wanna make!"
- Bastard Boyfriend: Gives off this vibe with Ohatsu.
- Body Horror: After eating the Genma Insects
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Mainly because he's batshit insane, but he really takes the cake when, in order to be sure that his message of challenge will reach Soki, he shot 500 "arrowgrams" (a message attached to an arrow) against Mount Hiei.
- Combat Pragmatist: He's not above throwing dust and poisons or summoning his crows in combat.
- Did You Just Flip Off Chtulhu: He and his pet crow tried to attack human-Fortinbras. He got all of his bones broken.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: In the final battle he's so intoxicated that he doesn't even bother to land properly after jumping from a roof.
- Dual Wielding: With Shirasaya swords.
- Evil Laugh: Often.
- Eyepatch of Power: It actually hides his Demon Eye.
- A Handful for an Eye: One of his tricks in battle.
- Heel Realization: Subverted: when he learns the truth about Sekishusai and his Demon Eye he seems shocked... only to reveal that he doesn't give a damn about it and is content with being the evil bastard he is.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Yet another one for Munenori and you're warned: the only thing he has in common with the historical Munenori is the name and peraphs the swords. The real Munenori just can't take a break, doesn't he?
- Jerk Ass: Just look how he treats Ohatsu.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Sort of, it's implied that he had Ohatsu infected with Genma Insects to keep her under control. In the final battle he uses the insects on himself at full power to gain an advantage.
- Master Swordsman: Jubei admits that he's one of the most skilled warriors from the Yagyu Village.
- Recurring Boss: He's fought many times.
- Right-Hand Attack Dog: His pet ravens, which he uses in battle. He doesn't seem to care much about them either.
- Shoulders of Doom
- Slasher Smile
- The Starscream
- Why Won't You Die?: He just does not know when to die. It's even implied that he's still kicking in the Sequel Hook at the end.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: In his final confrontation with Jubei he reveals to have infected himself with Genma Insects, which means that know he wields the powers of both Oni (his Demon eye) and Genma.
Luis Frois /Rosencrantz
Voiced By: Masaharu Sato (JP)
A former portuguese priest and Roberto's adoptive father, he was a pious, generous man who helped the poor people, adopted many orphans and built an Hospital. Then he was hired by Mitsunari Ishida to help him in his research on the Genma and was forcefully possessed by Rosencrantz, who caused him to change into a crazy, murderous scientist who see Roberto as an experiment. He however used his last moments of consciousness to put the Exorcising Beads in Roberto's arms and sent him away from him. His "good" side awakens once more after his battle with Soki. He's finally killed and fred when Claudius falls on the Research Facility in Kyushu, causing it to explode. Rosencrantz is fought one last time in Kyoto and slain by Roberto.
- Alas, Poor Villain: A genuinely good guy who was forced into doing terrible things against his will, possibly conscious all the time.
- Acrofatic: Cutscene only, he dodges Roberto's assault with ease. In game he uses teleport instead.
- Anticlimax: When he reappears in Kyushu's facility you'd expect a heated duel to the death as a boss fight with him and Mitsunari joining forces... wait, no, he just stands aside while you fight Mitsunari and Claudius and dies in the explosion when Claudius fall on the facility.
- Back from the Dead: After vanishing in the explosion of the Kyushu Facility he comes back in Kyoto as the Omen Star draws nearer and nearer.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: After the research on the Genma courtesy of Rosencrantz.
- Demonic Possession: He's controlled by Rosencrantz, but he can fight back his influence sometimes
- Face–Heel Turn: He was a good, generous man. Then Mitsunari came...
- Face Death with Dignity: In the giant explosion, Rosencrantz shrieks in pain while Luis simply thanks Roberto and Soki for putting an end to his torment.
- Fat Bastard
- For Science!
- Knife Nut: He can summon and toss huge dissection blades.
- Mad Scientist: He can be considered as Guildenstern's heir. Rosencrantz himself actually is behind this
- One-Winged Angel: Rosencrantz reappears in Kyoto thanks to the Omen Star as a giant fly-like monster.
- Sinister Minister
- Shock and Awe: He can summon blue shocking orbs. As Rosencrantz he can hurl a lot of them.
- That One Attack: One of his powers create a clock-shaped aura that will kill Soki and his partner if not removed in time. The only way to stop this is to damage him enough. Magic attacks are the best.
- Verbal Tic: Speaks with a lisp. Only when Rosencratz is in charge.
Voiced By: Kenta Miyake (JP)
A huge, armored samurai who serves Mitsunari Ishida. He's actually compelled to serve the Genma with a demonic mask placed on his face. He's fought by Soki and Tenkai many times and finally defeated at Sakai. He redeem himslef by killing his lord Mitsunari and telling Soki about the teletransport device in Nagoya Castle.
- Attack Its Weak Point: His back isn't protected by the barrier of fire. Hitting him hard enough will cause him to stagger and lose the barrier.
- Blade on a Stick: Wields a huge, spiked Juumonji Yari (Cross-shaped Spear)
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Because of the mask he wears, as the Insects have no effect on him.
- Big Damn Heroes: When Mitsunari raise back from the ground and paralyze all the main characters he literally jumps out of nowhere and impale Mitsunari with his huge spear.
- The Dragon: To Mitsunari
- Expy: It looks like "Hondam" Tadakatsu from Sengoku Basara, another Capcom game.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Instant Death Radius: If you get hit when he swings his humongous spear, prepare to lose a huge chunk of HP.
- Mighty Glacier: And, you can't even attack him from the front, he's protected by a flame shield.
- No-One Could Survive That: After his third and last defeat he fell in the Ocean. How could he get out with such a huge armor?!
- The Quiet One: He rarely speaks. When he does he becomes a stern yet talkative Mr. Exposition.
- Scary Impractical Armor: To a T
Hideyoshi's concubine and mother of his heir, Hideyori. She's Ohatsu's Sister. For some reason she's totally faithful to Hideyoshi. Revealed that she's actually Ophelia, the Genma High Priestess, and member of the Genma Triumvirate with Claudius and Rosencrantz. She fights our heroes in Kyushu and later in Kyoto, but is finally horribly slain by the true Yodo, the Genma Mother Tree.
- Absolute Cleavage As Ophelia, though not as extreme as her artwork shows.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Quite so. After being taken down by Soki she drop the clothing and goes straight to the pure Bitch part.
- Expy: In-game. Ophelia looks a lot like Vega Donna from the third game, except for the hair, the moth like wings and antennae and the clothes.
- Flunky Boss: The first time she summons hordes of zombies to fight for her. Later she uses Three Eyes.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Impaled and tore apart offscreen by the roots of the Genma Mother Tree/Yodo.
- Made of Iron: As Ophelia she gets shot often at point blank several times, but she doesn't even flinch.
- Manipulative Bitch: She screws with Ohatsu's mind during their first meeting.
- Multiarmed And Dangerous
- Upper-Class Twit: She addresses Soki as "Foul Oni", and treat him with contempt just like Vega Donna did.
The Genma Mother TreeThe Largest of the Genma Trees and the main source of power for Hideyoshi, it envelops Fushimi Castle in his body. Its song is calling forth the Omen Star which will give to Hideyoshi God-like Powers. Soki's objective is to burn down this tree in order to stop Hideyoshi's plans. The Tree is actually Yodo, Ohatsu's sister, and during the final act she tears Ophelia apart and absorbs Hideyoshi in her body. She's eventually purified by Soki with Requiem, and both Yodo and Hideyoshi are spit out.
- Combat Tentacles: Its core has these.
- Flunky Boss
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Can shoot them.
- Genius Loci: It's really big, so big that its body is half-merged with Fushimi Castle.
- Stationary Boss: The core.
- Tragic Monster: Soki manages to purify Yodo and saving her life.
The God Of Light Fortinbras/The Man in White
Voiced by: Show Hayami (Dawn of Dreams)
The most powerful Genma, he's the one who created their race. He was killed during the war against the Oni clan and sealed inside the Omen Star. He's revealed as Fortinbras, the White Serpent and the man in white who appeared to Soki many times ingame. After the arrival of the star his embryo hatches and resurrect the God as the allmighty giant White Serpent, and he later battles Soki in his human form, but he's killed once and for all. It's unknown whether this Fortinbras and the one from Warlords are actually the same demon god, or if the 1 Fortinbras was merely a high class Genma who took his name and appearance.
- A God Am I: And he is!
- Affably Evil: As the Man in White.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: He's probably the biggest boss ever faced.
- Beam Spam: His Man in White form has such an attack.
- The Chess Master
- Elemental Powers: The good old trio Fire, Lightning and Wind. The Man in White has even more.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: During the dialogue before the final battle against Soki.
- God Is Evil
- Hijacked by Ganon: If you believe that he's the same Fortinbras from the first game, then yes.
- Kick the Dog: When he zaps Munenori's crow after he tried to save his master.
- Large Ham: He can give Gogandantess a lesson or two on Hamminess.
- Light Is Not Good: Albeit he has an extremely demonic appearance for an example of this trope, but he still counts.
- Man in White: It's even the name of his human form, which is simply a man in a white suit.
- Nintendo Hard: Hoo boy. Easily the hardest boss in the whole series.
- One-Winged Angel: Is actually unclear if his true form is the Man in White or the White Serpent.
- Roar Before Beating: The White Serpent.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He's sealed inside the Omen Star.
- Unholy Nuke: His strongest attack is a colossal sphere of light shrouded in miasma. In order to make him vulnerable you have to dispel the miasma and chuck the ball back to him.
- Villainous Breakdown: After Soki stabs his guts with Requiem.
Princess YukiThe Princess of Inabayama Castle and a friend of Samanosuke. She asks his help when strange events start happening around her castle. Later she's kidnapped by the Genma and is revealed that she'll be sacrificed in a dark ceremony to give Nobunaga great powers.
- Distressed Damsel: She's the pivot of the first game's plot.
TakajoA female Oni with a snake-tail and arcane powers, she lives in a hidden cave near the Yagyu village and sets Jubei on his quest of revenge awakening his Oni powers. She's actually Jubei's mother. She's later slain by Jujudormah who slices her throat.
- Almost Dead Girl
- Improbable Hairstyle: Justified by her hairdress.
- Informed Ability: Her powers are unknown.
- Killed Off for Real
- Missing Mom: To Jubei.
- Nice Hairdress
- Slashed Throat
- Snake People: Her lower body is serpentine.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She can transform into a human.
Henri BlancJacques' young son. He helped Samanosuke, Michelle and his dad in the past during their battle against the Genma. Despite being distrustful of Michelle at first, he later manages to get along with her.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Only at first.
- Distressed Damsel: You'll have to rescue him twice.
- Infant Immortality: Played straight during the game: he get saved in time by Samanosuke and during the Escort Mission he's smart enough to roll away from damage. Inverted at the end where he's killed by Genma-Ranmaru, but resurrected by the Oni Gauntlet.
- Missing Mom: His birth mother passed away some time before the events of the game.
- Parent with New Paramour: He really doesn't like Michelle at first, but gradually warms up to her.
- The Smart Guy
A Small, cute Karasu Tengu who helps Samanosuke and Jacques in their quest by assisting them with her powers and recovering objects and hidden chests. She reappears in Dawn Of Dreams as Arin, a nun who watch over the shrine on Mount Hiei.
- Insistent Terminology: She's not a fly.
- Miss Exposition: Sometimes borders with Captain Obvious
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Power Glows: Her robes gives her a different colored glow and different powers.
- Tara Strong: In the dub.
- Time Travel She can visit both Jacques and Samanosuke in different ages thanks to her powers.
Mino GoroA small, hideous member of the "Mino" clan, is a small, silkworm-like person who appears in the first and third games and can transport Samanosuke and Jacques to the Dark Realm. He reappears in Dawn Of Dreams as a shopkeeper.
- Arms Dealer: In Dawn of Dreams. He also sells items and armor/add-ons.
- Giant Space Flea From No Where: A rare good example.
- Gonk: He's quite ugly.