You know that tube between your head and your body? That thin, easily punctured tube? Yeah, guess what happens. Stabbed
, flayed, barbecued, any other method to open said tube, wheezing noises optional.
Not to be confused with
an actual medical tracheotomy
. See also Slashed Throat
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- This is how Rider summons her pegasus in Fate/stay night. The mythological Pegasus sprang fully formed from the blood flowing from the decapitated Medusa's neck stump. And since Rider IS Medusa...
- In Black Lagoon, Yukio Washimine kills herself by piercing her own neck with a katana while Rock watches helplessly and Revy screams at him to not look at her. This is Truth in Television, incidentally: This was the 'proper' way for a Samurai woman to commit suicide in feudal Japan because it was less painful and it looked more dignified than the male version (disemboweling yourself). And since Yukio is a deconstruction of Yamato Nadeshiko, she preferred to die rather than facing Balalaika in total dishonor.
- This is how all the murder victims in StrikerS Sound Stage X of the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise were killed: Stab wounds to their throats via Psychic-Assisted Suicide.
- In the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, and hence, Brotherhood, Heinkel pulls this on Kimblee using his fangs.
- How Rika escapes torture in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: she kills herself by repeatedly jamming her neck to a fixed-placed knife...which is bigger than her neck is wide. So messy.
- In episode 3, Yukari Sakuragi trips down some stairs and lands neck-first on the metal tip of her umbrella. It isn't pretty.
- At the end of episode 6, Mr. Kubodera enters the classroom and brandishes a knife. This trope comes in to play at the beginning of the next episode. It isn't pretty either.
- In episode 10, during the flashback, Katsumi Matsunaga is shown to have gotten into a fistfight with the "dead" classmate. This classmate gets impaled by a tree branch, breaking the curse for the class of 1983.
- In episode 12, Aki Matsui is stabbed through the neck from behind by Tomohiko Kazami.
- This is how Kenpachi from Bleach kills Berenice from the Stern Ritters. According to him, she wouldn't stop talking so he did it to shut her up.
- In the manga, Szayel Aporro got an arrow through the neck from Uryuu.
- In ElfQuest, Lord Voll gets a large crossbow arrow through his throat. Cutter, who happens to be right behind him when it exits, is only saved from a similar fate by his gold torc.
- Saw V is a rare example of someone doing this to survive; Peter's head is trapped in a box filled with water, and he jams a pen into his trachea and breathes through it.
- Happens multiple times in the Friday the 13th series; in the first film alone, for example, we see on-screen at least one throat-slitting and a man having an arrow jabbed through his throat from behind.
- In We Were Soldiers, a French bugler gets one courtesy of a Vietnamese bullet while trying to sound retreat. Bonus points for hearing him still exhaling through the hole as the bugling stops.
- In Superstition, one "accident" has a circular saw getting off from its hinges and lodging itself on one unfortunate man's throat.
- The Bourn Identity. The trademark of the notorious terrorist Carlos is that he shoots his target in the throat. Bourne is alarmed to discover this fact, as he's already instinctively shot a man this way.
Live Action TV
- President Hassan in Season 8 of 24.
- In Sharpe's Rifles, being charged by a mounted French Trooper and not having time to load his rifle properly, Harper opts to discharge his ramrod along with the ball. The ramrod goes straight through the Trooper's throat at exactly the Adam's Apple. It is rather disturbing to watch.
- On one episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, it happens with a crossbow bolt. Unbeknownst to his attempted murderer, the man was having a severe allergic reaction at the time and they managed to shoot it just right to save his life...or, rather to extend it by a few minutes since he died a few minutes later of something else, unrelated.
- Assassin's Creed: Assassins' preferred method for killing? Using the Hidden Blade to stab a man's neck. Ezio takes it further with his rather graphic killing of Checco Orsi, where he pushes the blade into Checco's throat slowly. In the sequel, he can cut multiple throats spinning a spear, and even jump towards a enemy and prick his throat open with a sword. It goes without saying that all of this is pretty awesome.
- Speaking of stealth kills, Jensen can sneak to an enemy and do this as a melee action in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
- Early in Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Bosch (1/64) gives one to Ryu. Things don't go as planed however, as instead of dying it awakens his ability to channel the powers of the dragon Odjn. The character transforms into his One-Winged Angel form and proceeds to slaughter the rest of Bosch's unit, including his commanding officer.
- In The King of Fighters 97, there's the New Face Team's ending. Yashiro gives these to Chris and Shermie with his bare hands, so their life energy will power up Orochi. After comforting the dying Shermie and delivering his Famous Last Words, Yashiro commits suicide in the same manner; we're even treated to an illustration where he puts his hand on his throat, and then to another where we see his upper body but his neck and face are out of sight but what's going on is clear...
- Lara Croft can receive an incredibly gruesome one in the 2013 reboot of the Tomb Raider series. Failing to avoid certain obstacles on the river and gondola scenes will lead to Lara being impaled through the throat on the end of a jagged piece of debris. Watching it is made even worse by her gasps and struggling. And the fact you're probably going to see it a lot.
- Dead or Alive: Dimensions: After a spat with Hayate, Ayane is so depressed over it that she attempts to stab herself in the throat with a kunai, but her mother Ayame arrives at that exact moment, forcing her to stop and put it away.
- Past about the halfway point of the first future level in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Erik Breighner takes a bullet through the sides of the throat once he hands the Celerium drive to Section.
- The janitor in the first chapter of Shadownova is suddenly stabbed in the neck by Cam, even though he was bleeding to death anyway, interrupting his last words to Iris.
- In the machinima Deus ex Machina, a Mook is shot in the neck at one point. We get to hear this horrible gurgling sound for about 20 seconds before Deus shoots him in the face.
- As one might expect, this has shown up in Survival of the Fittest quite a bit. Examples include Sally Connelly getting stabbed in the throat with a sai, and Nigel Gillespie getting stabbed with a shattered ocarina.