Gabby's Dollhouse is a DreamWorks Animation live action/animated preschool show that came out on January 5, 2021 on Netflix. It's created by Traci Paige Johnson (Blue's Clues) and Jennifer Twomey (Team Umizoomi).
Gabby is an 11-year old lover of anything related to cats. From her pet cat Floyd, to her fully-cat decked out room, almost everything she owns is related to cats, including an important toy: her dollhouse. Filled with various rooms, along with miniature toys of various cats, not only is it her favorite toy, she has a special connection to it.
Using her magical cat-ears headband, she's able to shrink herself, and her cat doll Pandy Paws, down to the size of the dollhouse. There, with an item she received earlier from the "Meow Meow Mailbox", she's able to interact with her now-living cat friends, with each episode focusing on the various citizens of the dollhouse.
Tropes associated with Gabby's Dollhouse:
- All-CGI Cartoon: The animation during the scenes inside Gabby's Dollhouse are done in CGI.
- Animal-Eared Headband: Gabby wears a magical one that lets her shrink down into the dollhouse. It somewhat resembles Pandy Paws's ears in design.
- Animated Music Video: "Dance Like a Gabby Cat" has a music video that is fully animated in the web shorts' 2D animation style, with no live action like the show has.
- Art Shift: The exclusive shorts are done in 2D animation.
- Bathtub Mermaid: MerCat, having the bathroom as her domain in the dollhouse, often is in the bathtub as her main source of water. She's able to survive without water, but this is normally her introduction spot whenever she is needed.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: Gabby uses a special incantation when using her cat ears to shrink:A pinch on my left and a pinch on my right, grab Pandy's hand and hold on tight!
- Casting Gag:
- Tara Strong as Kitty Fairy marks her second time as a pink cat that is a hybrid with a mythical creature that has the ability of flight.
- Juliet Donenfeld, Cakey's voice actress, was previously a DreamWorks-released cat character as the voice of young Catra.
- Cats Are Magic: Kitty Fairy is a half-fairy kitty with nature magic that allows her to help the garden grow.
- Cats Are Snarkers: CatRat is dry and snide towards the others, and is a bit of a know-it-all, but he has a nice heart deep down.
- Cats Hate Water: Getting wet is one of the biggest things that CatRat detests.
- The Glomp: Pandy Paws, when revealing himself from his hiding spot in the doll house, always reveals himself with a "hug attack" that he leaps at towards Gabby with.
- Hiccup Hijinks: Episode 2 is appropriately "Gabby Gets The Hiccups", where she ends up getting the hiccups. She's cured when being surprised by CatRat, but then he gets hiccups.
- In-Series Nickname: DJ Catnip's full name is "Daniel James Catnip"(this is first mentioned in Gabby Cat Cam), but he almost always goes by DJ Catnip.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: CatRat is snarky and kind of lazy, but he also looks out for his friends.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Gabby fits the bill because of how much she cares for her cat friends. Her entire room is also filled with cat decor.
- Living Toys: All of the cats that reside in the dollhouse, along with Pandy Paws, are inanimate toys when Gabby is at her regular size. Whenever she shrinks down to go to the dollhouse, they come to life.
- Medium Blending: Each episode starts and ends with a live-action scene in Gabby's room. When she goes into the dollhouse, the show switches to CGI.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: A lot of the cats are a blend of cats and an inanimate object:
- Pandy Paws is a mix of a cat plushie and a panda plushie.
- Cakey Cat is half cat, half cupcake.
- MerCat is half cat, half mermaid.
- Kitty Fairy is half cat, half fairy.
- Pillow Cat is half cat, half pillow.
- Carlita is half cat, half racecar.
- Baby Box and her family are half cardboard creation, half cat.
- The Hamster Kitties, as their name suggests, are half kitty, half hamster.
- Nice Girl: Gabby is very selfless and always there for others.
- Off-Model: DJ Catnip's protruding fang is more pointy in the original Netflix show, wereareas it looks more rounded in the exclusive animated shorts
- Rubber Man: The Dollhouse's resident music expert, Daniel James 'DJ' Catnip, has elastic legs and tail that can stretch to grab instruments or to activate his DJ console from outside his DJ booth.
- Sleepyhead: Pillow Cat, fitting her nature as part pillow and having the bedroom as her living area, is often seen asleep.