Gullah Gullah Island was a children's show on Nickelodeon's Nick Jr. block in the mid 90's. The block's first live-action show stars a Gullah family and their tadpole friend Binyah Binyah Polliwog living on an island off the coast of South Carolina.
Tropes featured include:
- Absentee Actor:
- Vanessa was missing from 3 episodes: "Rain, Rain Go Away", "Charleston Market" and "Campout"
- Simeon was missing from some episodes of the series.
- Classically Trained Extra: Not really "classically trained," but Miss Juana was played by Iris Chacon, a very popular singer and performer in Puerto Rico.
- Informed Species: Binyah Binyah is supposed to be a polliwog, but looks more like an adult frog that hasn't lost its tail yet.
- Nephewism: Ron and Natalie are hosting their niece, Vanessa, while her parents are teaching in an African University.
- Parental Bonus: An episode on the theme of dancing ended with the parents appearing in vintage '70s clothes, a mirror ball dropping down from the ceiling, and the cast performing a rousing rendition of "Let's Go to the Disco."
- The Place
- Pokémon Speak: Binyah Binyah Polliwog. Despite this, he's perfectly capable of speaking English.