Grandpa in my Pocket is a series created by the BBC about a grandpa who can apparently shrink whenever he puts on his "shrinking cap", and in each episode he would use this power to solve problems, such as finding a hamster under the floorboards or teaching a boy good manners. The series is narrated by his grandson, Jason, who is the only character to know about his secret.
The show had ran for a total of four series from 2009 to 2013, with the first three series being set in Sunnysands, while the fourth series primarily took place in a windmill where the main characters live. For the last series, the show was narrated by Josh and Elsie (Jason's cousins), who became the only characters to know Grandpa's secret.
This show contains examples of:
- Amusing Injuries: Mr. Whoops hurting himself whenever he's on screen.
- As You Know: Jason as a tenancy to remind the viewers who the characters are, as well as the locations in Sunnysands.
- Birthday Episode: "Captain Dumbletwit's Spaceship Cake".
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Great Aunt Loretta
- Demoted to Extra: By Series 4, Jason appears less and less and is replaced by his two cousins, Josh and Elsie.
- Hat of Power: Grandpa's shrinking cap. Whenever he wears it, he shrinks in size. Aside from shrinking, Grandpa appears to have several abilities, including aerobic strength as well as the ability to turn objects into life.
- Great Aunt Loretta, Grandpa's sister.
- Troy, the boy who lives next door to Jason. The episode "A Toy for a Boy called Troy" just shows how bad he can be.
- Once per Episode: Grandpa shrinking.
- Running Gag:
- Great Aunt Loretta's questionable meals.
- Mr. Whoops' Amusing Injuries.
- Surprisingly Functional Toys: When Grandpa is small, he can operate Jason's toy car, plane and train, as well as make Gordon the toy seagull come to life.
- Viewers Are Goldfish: Jason stating who are the characters and the locations in the place he lives to the viewers in every episode.