Bob and Alice are in a competitive mood and ready to prove one's superiority over the other. Or maybe they're just hanging around on the couch with nothing to do other than drink lots of gassy beverages. In any case, they decide that there is a competition in order. How will they choose to match their skills? Playing a game of chess? Video games? Pistols at dawn? Nope. They'll just chug their drinks and belch. Loudest belch wins.
Basically, this is exactly what it sounds like. It happens in fiction, but clearly this is inspired by that timeless party game, most popular amongst the frat boy demographic but enjoyed by many children and adults around the world. This is a favored activity of the Gasshole, even if the person they challenge doesn't accept. It's generally limited to men, because Guys Are Slobs, so a woman engaging in one is a sure sign that she's a Tomboy of some sort.
- One occurs between Klein and Calvin in Calvin and Hobbes: The Series.
- Another occurs in an Animaniacs fanfic in which characters from the show crashed a contest featuring newer Kids WB characters in what was possibly an attempt to gain back fame. All the notable characters appeared but not surprisingly Wakko won. Amusingly, Hello Nurse came in what appeared to be second.
- Although it wasn't a contest, Yoshizilla-Fan's "Animaniacal Tales" had a chapter called "The Gassiest Warner" where after Wakko burps loudly in Dot's face, Dot gives him a taste of his own medicine by burping loudly back. And it lasts for about one minute, according to the text.
- A few stories by Major 144 include one of these:
- A Shrek fanfic called Contest of Ogress deals with Fiona having to face Shrek's old girlfriend, Gwen, in three different ogre challenges for Shrek. The third chapter involves a burping contest that Fiona wins.
- A belching contest also occurs in chapter three of the Shrek/Disney crossover, Cut Back Princesses between Fiona, Belle, and Ariel where, once again, Fiona wins.
- Another Shrek fanfic, Ogre Family Feud, has Shrek's parents and brothers come to Far Far Away and in chapter three, they are eating dinner and get into an big arguement with Shrek over who dissapointed they are with how his life has turned out to be. His mother, Vile, then berates Fiona for not being a real ogre and just looking the part, so Fiona challenges her to burping contest to prove her wrong and wins.
- In chapter three of the Jimmy Neutron fanfic Chaotic Gas, Jimmy and Cindy decide to have a burping contest to prove who is better. Jimmy eventually wins, but that's only because he ate a small portion of the Belch Boy packet.
- A Jimmy Neutron & Jackie Chan Adventures crossover, Burp Battle, involves Libby with her Burp Girl powers and Jade with her Wind Demon Chi powers getting sucked into another dimension and competing in a burping tournament that includes some of the dimension's inhabitants, known as burpoids (all of whom are gassholes and have the word "burp" as the first part of there name). With some effort, Libby and Jade use their powers to defeat their opponents and make it to the semi-finals, but before they can continue, Burpgus and Burpelecia, the son and daughter of the king and queen, Burpo and Burperly, invade the arena that they are in and use a machine to siphon burping energy from the audience. Jade and Libby end up having to combine their powers to destroy the device and win the tournament.
- In the episode "Education For Femininity" of Time Fixers: Nicktoons of the Future, the Nicktoons end up competing with each other in one, much to the embarrassment of Tammy. In ends with Poof being the victor.
- The Equestria Club: Early on, Ember reveals to Twilight and the others that as Dragon Lord, she spends a lot of time judging these. Due to her status, she can't really compete herself, since it wouldn't be fair to the other dragons.
- A sort of burping contest happens in the 1959 version of Ben-Hur when Ben Hur is treated to dinner by the local sheik. After the sheik lets out a huge burp, he looks to Ben, who gives a blank look back until prompted by nonverbal cues by Balthasar to let out his own (smaller, but still audible) burp.
- Not a burping contest. In certain cultures, burping after the meal means you appreciated it, and NOT burping is impolite.
- A similar incident happens in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
- One of the "outtakes" from Pixar's A Bug's Life had Tuck and Roll (the pillbugs) interrupting a scene to have themselves one of these. Until one of them rips one from the other end and Rosie the Black Widow quickly excuses herself.
- It happens in the first live action Scooby-Doo movie, between Shaggy and Scooby.
- In Revenge of the Nerds, Dudley "Booger" Dawson goes up against Ogre in one during the Frat Olympics. Booger wins the contest (by releasing a belch that goes on for nearly a minute).
- In the sequel, Booger meets an old Asian guy who's even more of a slob then he is, and responds to Booger's belch with a longer, louder belch of his own. Booger then calls him "Master".
- In summer camp movie Meatballs, camp counselor Tripper Harrison has a friendly belching contest with one of the campers.
- In Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and Grandpa Joe have one of these to serve a very practical purpose: they need to release the gas they've ingested from Wonka's Fizzy Lifting Drinks in order to avoid floating to the ceiling and being sucked into an exhaust fan.
- Parodied, as was the film itself, in the Family Guy episode "Wasted Talent", where they have to fart to get out of it.
- Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato have this in Princess Protection Program.
- This also happens in Geek Charming. Josh and Dylan's father start a burping contest, but Dylan joins in and wins.
- A regular tenet of the annual Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards is the celebrity burp-off, which is exactly what it sounds like. Winners have included Justin Timberlake, Cameron Diaz, Hugh Jackman, and the penguins from Madagascar.
- This sketch from Good Night Burbank, unusual in that both contestants are female.
- An episode of ALF had the title character inviting a blind friend of his over to dinner. He then challenges her to a game of "guess the belch". Alf belches, and his friend chastises him with a cry of "Alf!" He, completely missing the point, replies with, "No, no! You don't guess who belched, you guess what they ate!"
- In the Merlin episode "The Hunter's Heart", Merlin hides out of sight and magically causes Arthur to burp in order to embarrass him in front of Princess Mithian. Mithian responds by one-upping him with an even louder burp.
- Game of Thrones. In an unusual variant, one of the whores in Mole's Town belches the tune of a song, and the men playing try to guess what the song is.
- In Brazilian telenovela I Love Paraisópolis, once a woman accidentally belches with a cocktail, her table partner decides to order a soda and do a burping contest. The Corpsing reveals nothing is dubbed, and considering one of them is Proper Lady Maria Casadevall...◊
- One comic in Baby Blues features Hammie and Wren having one of these. Wren wins and almost blows her brother away when she rips a big one.
Hammie: "My little sister is like a brother to me."
- At the 2003 Badd Blood pay-per-view, Steve Austin and Eric Bischoff had one as the first event of the Redneck Triathlon. In reality, they used pre-recorded belches.
- In Shrek: The Musical, Shrek and Fiona bond over one during "I Think I Got You Beat".
- One of the minigames in Rayman: Raving Rabbids 2. The Rabbids' burps destroy cities.
- In Fallout 2, The Chosen One can challenge a tanker vagrant to one. And lose. Gracefully.
Badger: (spits forth a horrific belch that defies the very heavens in its volume and depth)
Chosen One: (applauds)
- In Mass Effect 3, Eve, a female krogan, reveals that newborn krogan are named by all the men in the clan getting drunk and having burping contests. Whatever happens to sound like a word becomes a name.
- ''Zeera the Space Pirate'' has some space Amazons holding an official burping contest. One of the competitors cuts loose with a burp that rattles the foundations of buildings. She's scored a "5.9". After she complains, a judge explains they're using the Richter Scale.
- Insecticomics: Override suggests one to Armada!Thrust to resolve a dispute in strip 127. He refuses.
- One of the Fensler Films parodies of the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero And Knowing Is Half the Battle sequences has one of the Joes challenge a kid to a burping contest. This quickly turns into an Overly Long Gag.
- One is held on the third episode of The Brian & Jill Show podcast, after Jill struggled the second episode with not belching on the air.
- Happened twice on El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera. In one episode, Manny and the Zebra Donkey have one of these at an ice cream shop, and in another, Manny and Frida try to out-burp each other in the name of science. Their teacher doesn't buy it.
- One episode of the Timon & Pumbaa spin-off series had Pumbaa competing against a barnyard pig in a contest that would determine who was the piggiest of them all. One of the trials consisted of this.
- Homer Simpson had one with Jay Sherman in their crossover episode. In fact the only other person who can come close to Jay's skill is author Eudora Welty.
Krusty: Coming, Eudora!
- One of the original Tracey Ullman shorts featured one between Bart and Lisa, with late entries from Maggie and Homer, and Marge trying to put a stop to the whole thing.
- Then there's this bit of dialogue after Homer becomes an artist, something that Marge had always dreamed of becoming herself but could never manage to succeed.
Marge: How would you feel if I won a... a belching contest?
Homer: Actually, I'd be kinda turned on.
- One Muppet Babies episode featured a burping contest between rocks.
- And one between Animal and Piggy's doll. The doll wins.
- Animaniacs does some sort of burping contest in episode 17 (Roll Over, Beethoven) where after eating lunch, the Warners (excludes Wakko) belch "Beethoven's Fifth Symphony". Out of all of them, Dot wins.
- Purple & Brown has a short of them making a farting and belching contest.
- In Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Bloo and a snobby imaginary friend named Blake Superior have a musical contest involving different bodily functions. Bloo hiccups and Blake burps. In the end, they both lose to an imaginary friend who made fart noises with his armpits.
- At the end of an episode of The Fairly Oddparents, Timmy utterly dominates a burping contest. Shortly afterwards, Cosmo notes that a farting contest is coming up, and advises Wanda to start cooking again.
- In an episode of Bump in the Night that revolves around Mr. Bumpy repeatedly travelling back through time to try and prevent himself from hurting Squishington's feelings, one of the ways in which he chases off his past-time duplicate is by winning one of these. The winning belch actualy blows his opponent right off of the desk.
- Kuzco has one with a manatee in The Emperor's New School. Kuzco accuses the manatee of cheating because "Burps can only come from the mouth, right?". Later in the episode, Kuzco and an angry Malina have a similar conversation to the one Homer and Marge have in the Simpsons example above.
- In the Ed, Edd n Eddy episode "For The Ed, By The Ed", Ed and Eddy have one of these while emptying bottles of soda to pawn. Eddy urges Edd to join in, but Edd seemed incapable of letting out a single belch, until he lets out a huge one during one of his sentences.
Ed: An angel just got its wings, Double-D.
- In Total Drama, the teams are divided into boys and girls for a one-off "battle of the sexes", and the boys bond over music and soda before the challenge. They proclaim Geoff the team captain after he emits a truly thunderous belch so powerful it fells trees.note
- One of the SKWOD shorts features one of these between Jax, Kick, and Logan with a pile of snacks as the prize. Jax is about to claim her winnings when a tremendous belch echoes throughout the halls. It came from Seth, who shows up and asks what everyone else is doing before spying the snacks and digging in.
- Octus (as Newton) and Meat have one in Sym-Bionic Titan. Being a Ridiculously Human Robot, Octus wins quite easily.
- In the The Legend of Korra episode "The Spirit of Competition" Korra and Bolin get into one on their date, much to the horror of the other patrons in the restaurant. Korra seems to come out on top.
- In one of the New Teen Titans short cartoons from DC Nation, Raven is annoyed because the other four Titans burp continuously as they eat their pizza. Eventually, she gets fed up and retaliates with a massive belch of her own, making the entire city rumble (!!) and leaving her friends covered in soot as if they'd been caught up in an explosion.
Cyborg: You should see a doctor.
- According to her bio, Jennifer Walters, aka She-Hulk of Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. likes to participate in these, though it's never come up in the series.
- Coop and Jamie had one in one episode of Megas XLR. The winner was supposed to get the comfy chair.
- The The Loud House episode "Come Sale Away" has a flashback showing the kids having a burping competition. Lola of all people won!