Go back to the Still Waters Series Main Page.
Go back to the Still Waters Series character pages.
Mochizuki Hiroaki's Group
- Badass Longcoat: How else is a young hotshot yakuza leader supposed to dress?
- Badass Normal: Despite being a normal human and still in his early twenties, he leads his own yakuza group and is quite handy with a shotgun.
- The Gunslinger: He carries his shotgun on a sling hidden under his Badass Longcoat, and can have it ready to go in the same amount of time it takes Saga Jin, a fellow yakuza leader and notorious Quick Draw artist, to pull his pistols, and, as shown in one of the side stories, is a good enough shot to get the two thugs in a narrow alley using his little sister as a human shield without injuring her.
- More Dakka: He prefers overwhelming amounts of lead in the air to single, precise shots.
- Non-Idle Rich: He's a very hands-on sort of yakuza leader.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents were murdered by members of a rival yakuza group.
- Promotion to Parent: He was forced to step into the role of parent for his little sister after their parents were murdered.
- Quick Draw: With a shotgun on a sling.
- Weapon of Choice: Sawed-Off Shotgun. He carries it on a sling under his coat.
- The Gunslinger
- Quick Draw
- The Speechless: He is unable to speak because of an old wound to the throat.
Saga Jin's Group
- Badass Normal: When he was first introduced in Still Waters 2, he was able to hold his own in a lengthy gunfight with Mana despite being a normal human.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He is quite an odd person, especially among the yakuza, and yet he's so good at keeping everything running smoothly that his bosses ignore his personality quirks.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Mana defeated him in Still Waters 2; in Still Waters 3 Book 2, he risked his life to warn her someone was after her.
- Gun Fu: He is on the same level as Mana.
- Guns Akimbo: He prefers to go into a fight with a pistol in each hand.
- The Gunslinger
- Improbable Aiming Skills: He was able to 'wing' a sniper in the arm using nothing but a pistol at an incredible distance.
- More Dakka
- Nerves of Steel
- Non-Idle Rich: He goes into battle alongside his men every time.
- Quick Draw
- Sniper Pistol: He does this off screen during the Festival arc of Book 2, 'winging' a sniper on a wooded hillside with an admittedly high quality custom built pistol. Mana is impressed enough to nudge him up several categories on her mental list of dangerous people.
- Weapon of Choice: Dual pistols.
- Action Girl: Every fully trained female member is this almost by default.
- Badass Army: This is what you get when you gather several hundred total badasses and then train them to become experts in swordplay and demon slaying.
- Demon Slaying
- Elite Army
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Most of them display this if given enough screen time.
- Ki Attacks: Almost all members of the Shinmeiryu are capable of using this form of attack.
- Ninja: Many of the members show hints of ninja training, especially stealth and misdirection.
- One Riot, One Ranger: This is generally how they respond to the various threats that pop up from time to time.
- Samurai: The majority of members tend more toward this than "Ninja".
- Shrouded in Myth: The entire organization has this going for it due to its long history and the amazing things done by its members.
- Supernatural Martial Arts
Aoyama FamilyThis is the family that pretty much runs the Shinmeiryu. Most of these characters are based on a single image in chapter 72, page 6 of the Love Hina manga; they are listed here in order from strongest to weakest.
- Badass Family: Any named member of this family can kick your ass.
- Heroic Lineage: They're all badasses, descended from a long, long line of badasses.
- Training from Hell: They all undergo this from early childhood.
- The Ace: Everything but Motoko thinks she's this.
- Dual Wielding: With a sword and a pen, no less.
- Heir to the Dojo: She is set to take over when Tsuruko eventually retires.
- Lady of War
- Lightning Bruiser
- Master Swordsman
- One Woman Army
- The Ace: She is widely regarded as one of these among the Shinmeiryu.
- Lady of War
- Lightning Bruiser
- Master Swordsman
- One Woman Army
- Blade on a Stick: This is his preferred weapon.
- Identical Grandson: He greatly resembles his great-great-great-etc. grandfather from 300 years ago.
- Dual Wielding: She wears two short swords crossed on her back.
Hikari's SquadThe squad led by the cat youkai Ikari Hikari, it is a part of the Shinmeiryu's Guardian Forces. First seen in Chapter 25 of Still Waters 3, Book 2.
Ikari HikariA cat youkai, she is the leader of this squad.
Mizuhara RieA friend of Konoka, she is a snake youkai, and had a part in Konoka's training.
- Dual Wielding: She uses a katana and wakizashi together, and helped train Konoka in their use.
Chiba UsagiThe only oni member of Hikari's squad, she's lived in Kyoto all her life and prefers city life to the country.
Yamada HidekoA dog youkai, she dislikes fox youkai.
Other MembersThese are other members of the Shinmeiryu, not attached to any particular squad or family.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Nice, polite...and leader of one of the most dangerous organizations in Eastern Asia.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Master Swordsman
- Non-Idle Rich
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Badass Adorable: She is a member of the Shinmeiryu for a reason.
Braden XyrelyThe newest member of the council, he joined at the same time as Adept Cort, below.
The Warden, Ari Sigurd
Mid Level Members
AmosSent to Mahora as part of the team to retrieve The Daughter.
CortSent to Mahora as part of the team to retrieve The Daughter. An old friend of Braden Xyrely, they joined at the same time.
Low Level Members
RaleSent to Mahora as part of the team to retrieve the Daughter, he unexpectedly befriended her instead.
- Nice Guy: He even went so far as to betray the Children of Gilgamesh during the festival in Book 2 in order to help Ako escape before they could catch her. It didn't work, but it's the thought that counts.
- Ambiguously Evil: Individually, they have any number of motives for what they do, and thus far they've only come into conflict through stupid mistakes or as collateral damage.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Word of God says this is mostly the case here.
- Older Than They Look: This is pretty much impossible to avoid.
- One-Man Army: Any vampire powerful enough to be a member of this group is this by default.
- Person of Mass Destruction: It's a requirement.
- Really 700 Years Old: The youngest member is Beatrice Honeydew, who's 107 years old as of Still Waters 3, Book 2.
- Rich Idiot with No Day Job: Most of them get by without doing much due to the wealth they've acquired over the centuries.
- Shrouded in Myth: There are many stories about the various members, and some of them are even true.
- Stronger with Age: As a vampire ages, it gets stronger through practice and experience.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: This appears to be a big part of their interactions with each other.
- Vampiric Draining
Number 1 Lord Zeph CastorLeader of the Great Vampire Lords
- Big Fancy Castle: He owns one; it's where the Great Vampire Lords meet.
- The Chessmaster: He certainly seems to think he is one of these.
- The Masquerade: He would prefer for the vampires to maintain this while pulling the strings of various governments behind the scenes.
- Vampire Monarch: He's the leader of a group of some of the most powerful vampires still in existence.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Revealed in the Book 1 Epilogue.
Number 2 Chaser FelixKilled by Misora in chapter 32b of Still Waters 3 Book 1
- Cruel and Unusual Death: He suffers this at the hands of Misora at the end of Book 1.
- Fully-Embraced Fiend: He loves being a vampire, and all that comes with it.
- Taken for Granite: The first part of his favorite combat method.
- Literally Shattered Lives: The second part of his favorite combat method.
Number 3 Jonus Hart
- Affably Evil: In spite of the mess he made when he tried to take over Mahora in Book 1, he doesn't come across as such a bad guy when not under the effects of Possum or Lucy's blood.
- Casting a Shadow: He prefers shadow based magic, though he has used lightning magic at times.
- Deflector Shields: Uses a powerful magical variety he calls his "Seven Layer Shield", a highly advanced magical shield that will stop just about anything from getting through.
- Even Evil Has Standards
- I Have Many Names: The Betrayer, Kingsbane, The Ripper...
- Mass Hypnosis: This is how he gained control of such a large group in the "Intruder" arc of Book 1.
- Mind Control: One of his many skills.
- The Minion Master: Summoned dozens of shadow creatures in the "Intruder" arc of Book 1.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: It is implied that this is what happened to him after the "Intruder" arc in Book 1.
- Starter Villain: Drunk and overpowered on the blood of not just one but two Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious girls, he's got enough power and experience to give an unprepared Negi a challenge.
- Time Stands Still: He used an Atlantean Magic spell circle to do this within a small area, temporarily trapping Asuna.
Number 5 Sir Alexander StratosMade an appearance in the short story The Queen of Light.
- The Charmer: He is a master at getting people to like him, which he usually uses to achieve his own goals. It helps that he's had centuries of experience.
- Charm Person: He showed this power extensively during The Queen of Light.
- Manipulative Bastard: Again, he showed this power extensively during The Queen of Light.
- The Starscream: A highly competent version. He has his own ideas on how vampires should interact with the world, and it runs counter to Zeph's plans.
Number 6 Arturia Sader
- Action Girl
- Undying Loyalty: To the cause of giving vampires a place in the world via peaceful interaction.
Number 11 Caster Reed
Number 16 Dexter Marlowe
- Cruel and Unusual Death: He suffers from this in the side story How To Kill Zombies.
Number 19 Judas Grimm
- Meaningful Name: He would betray Zeph in an instant if he thought he could get away with it, and the results to the rest of the world would indeed be grim.
- The Starscream: A very competent one. Like Alexander, he has his own ideas on how vampires should behave.
Number 23 Karina Dyne
Number 24 Beatrice Honeydew
- Anti-Villain: Type 4
- Bag of Holding: She has an old-fashioned knapsack she turned into one of these.
- Black Magician Girl
- Charm Person: This is one of her skills, which she learned from Sir Alexander Stratos. She's not very good at it yet.
- Cry into Chest: She does this with Jonus at the end of chapter 23 of Still Waters 3, Book 2, when he saves her from getting killed by Maple Birdsong.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Even when it tries to be.
- Expy: Based on Marisa Kirisame of Touhou fame, at least by appearance and magic ability.
- Flying Broomstick: This is her preferred method of travel.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: She's cute, cheerful, has star stickers on her bedroom mirror...and is a century-old vampire.
- Haunted Castle: 'Honeydew Manor', which she inherited when her sire died.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: As shown repeatedly in chapter 23 of Still Waters 3, Book 2.
- Kiss of the Vampire: This is what she thinks vampires should do.
- Living Forever Is Awesome: She loves being a vampire.
- Magic Wand: She has a yellow one, with a star on the end.
- Meaningful Name: Honeydew indicates her generally kind personality.
- Mugging the Monster: Normally when a vampire is involved with this trope, the vampire isn't on the receiving end. Then again, she was new to Mahora at the time.
- Nice Hat: She has a fancy black hat she thinks of as her 'witch hat'. It's pointy, has a wide ribbon tied around the base of the top, which has a loop in which she puts a deck of cards with magic symbols on them, intended to assist her spellcasting.
- Noble Demon
- Really 700 Years Old: She looks seventeen, but she's actually 107.
- Skilled, but Naïve: She is said to hold a huge amount of power, even among vampires, but she's still just a baby by vampire terms.
- Spell Book: She has one sealed with a lock and chains.
- Squishy Wizard: Her strengths lie in magic to the extent that even though she's a vampire, a fairly normal human who knows what they're doing can beat her up with ease.
- Vampiric Draining: She tries this often, but doesn't seem to be very good at it.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: In a vampire sort of way.
Number 25 Everitt Crowley
- Dirty Old Man: Emphasis on "old". His favorite pastime is looking at stone-age pornography.
Servants and Familiars
CarrickZeph Castor's greatest servant, he is an extremely well made ghoul capable of speech, free action, and independent thought, capable of holding an intellectual conversation and even giving advice on the best strategies.
- Energy Absorption: The reason he attacked Reiko was because he needed the 'energy'.
- Healing Factor: As a very high quality ghoul, he will regenerate from any damage done to him.
- Lightning Bruiser: All a part of being a very well made centuries-old ghoul.
- Nothing Personal: He attacked Sakai Reiko because he "needed the energy"; he would have attacked the next person he saw, whoever it may have been.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He doesn't care for Ocali or his policies and methods of doing things.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: After his plan to deal with the magic world was derailed at the very first step by the sudden, random appearance of Jack Rakan at the gateport, he has fallen out of favor dramatically.
- The Remnant: He is one of the last remaining members of Cosmo Entelecheia.