open/close all folders
Debuting in Arcana Heart
Default Arcana: Partinias (Love)
Voiced by: Mikako TakahashiThe mascot of the series, a complete ditz and a loyal worshiper of The Power of Love. Her purpose is... to be just there to help her friends when they're down, but in the process, she makes herself fair game to people who seem to desire her power (or her pureness) for something.
- All-Loving Heroine: She's sweet, cheerful and selfless. The only thing she wants to do is to help others and be there for her friends. She simply loves everyone and is a firm believer in The Power of Love.
- Anime Hair: It's naturally pink. The odd shape(s) like the heart make it even stranger.
- Badass Adorable: Sweet, friendly, and able to kick ass.
- Buffy Speak: As befitting her personality.(Upon entering Mildred's Castle) "Wow… this place is abnormous…"
- The Cheerleader: Depicted as such in several pieces of artwork.
- Cherry Blossom Girl: Since she's a pink-haired Love Freak and canonically possesses the Arcana of Love, it's no surprise that cherry blossoms are associated with her. If you use Arcana Force in her stage, the background graphics will be replaced with one that's absolutely filled with cherry blossoms.
- Childhood Friends: Saki has been her best friend since childhood.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She is usually oblivious about the severity of the situations that she finds herself in.
- Cross Over: In an official April Fools' Flash Game by Arc Systems Works and Examu, Heart is on a date with Ragna The Bloodedge. She also makes a guest appearance in Bururaji, complete with chibi BlazBlue-style sprite. Come 3 she also starts learning moves seemingly ripped straight off Ragna. It pretty much helps that her and Ragna's voice actors had a history of voicing roles together.
- Cuteness Proximity: As befitting her nature. Specifically, in the first game, she gets into a story match with Konoha, as she starts fawning over the "cute widdle puppy" (to poor Konoha's terror).
- Determinator: Once she makes up her mind on doing something, nothing seems to be able to stop the kid.
- The Ditz: As mentioned above, she is usually oblivious about how much danger that she is in.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Her seiyuu Mikako Takahashi performs the first game's opening.
- The Heart: She is this for her friends.
- Heart Beat-Down: Most of her moves have "love" and "heart" in the name. Partinias is also Heart-elemental.
- The Heroine: She is the central character of the series.
- Idiot Hair: She has a heart-shaped cowlick that stands prominently atop her head and she's a complete ditz and a huge Idiot Hero.
- Idiot Hero: A loving and righteous hero ready to save the day and fight for her friends, and also a complete idiot.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: She is one of the most balanced characters in the series.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: As her name would imply, Heart is a very kind, loving and righteous girl, but she's also as sharp as a bag of hammers.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Among other things, she's the only reason Saki hasn't went off the deep end after all that's happened to her.
- Love Freak: Her win quotes all espouse the virtues of love over fighting, and since there are no guys around for her to use these on, this can lead to some...interesting interpretations.
- Martial Pacifist: She would prefer to make friends than to fight.
- Meaningful Name: Her name in Japanese order has a meaning akin to "heart of love".
- Moveset Clone: Or more like Ragna and Jin would be more appropriate — Heart is the Ragna to Saki's Jin.
- Nice Girl: Kind, sweet and helpful to everyone.
- The Nicknamer: Has nicknames for her four friends that make up the Five-Man Band of the series: Mao-Mao for Maori, Lili for Lilica, Yori-poo for Yoriko, and Sa-Sa for Saki (the last one is NOT appreciated by Saki at all).
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Saki and Weiß's blue.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She has pink hair and she's really sweet and romantic.
- Shout-Out: Some of her palettes make her resemble Mikoto Misaka, Accelerator, Yukiko Amagi, Sanae Nagatsuki, Minori Kushieda and Madoka Kaname.
- Shotoclone: An unusual variation in that she technically has no projectiles of her own, but relies on an Arcana for them. Most (but not all) Arcanas have projectiles, however, including her default one, so she still qualifies.
- Especially since her default arcana has Ryu's projectiles. The serial numbers are barely even filed off.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears white thigh-high stockings.
Default Arcana: Bhanri (Lightning)
Voiced by: Yumi ShimuraHeart's aloof best friend (though she won't admit) who has gone studying in England, where she befriended Fiona, whom she unfortunately lost during the separation of the Elemental World. In the process her Arcana would wake in time to save her life, and ever since made a vow to protect her remaining friends, even if from afar.
- Aloof Ally: She is this for Heart.
- Broken Bird: She is affected by Fiona's disappearance.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Two years ago, Saki's father had to relocate to Great Britain for work, and she attended school there. One day, Saki and her friend Fiona visited a mysterious mountainside and were sucked into the Elemental world. Saki was rescued by the Arcana Bhanri, but Fiona was trapped in the other dimension. Saki has felt guilty ever since.
- Charged Attack: Every of her specials. Even the 'Hold Up' and 'Hold Forward' ones. Excepting her special sidestep.
- Childhood Friends: She has been best friends with Heart since childhood.
- Clothing Damage: If she's defeated by a super move, her tights get ripped in a few places.
- Cry Cute: At the end of her story in 3, she broke down in tears upon realizing that all her efforts to gain the sacred stones to turn Fiona back to human was a complete failure, and the rumors behind it could be lies. Thank God there's Heart to cheer her up.
- Kick Chick: Mainly uses her feet to fight.
- Expy: She really looks like Kannazuki no Miko's Chikane Himemiya with lighter tint of hair and the same protective instinct.
- Extremity Extremist: Prefers to fight with her feet.
- Hair Decorations: Her headband.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Lancer: Of Heart's Five-Man Band, along with Maori, Yoriko and Lilica.
- Moveset Clone: Or more like Ragna and Jin would be more appropriate — Saki is the Jin to Heart's Ragna.
- My Greatest Failure: She feels guilty of the loss of Fiona into the spirit world.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears black tights with her main outfit, making her look very refined.
- Rapunzel Hair: It goes down past her hips.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Heart's red.
- Shock and Awe: She uses them courtesy of her Arcana.
- Shout-Out: Some of her palettes resemble Akiha Tohno, Homura Akemi, Millia Rage or Ky Kiske and Chikane Himemiya.
- The Stoic: Usually. She is Not So Stoic more often than not when she is around Heart or when she thinks about Fiona's disappearance.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's aloof and usually gives the cold shoulder, but she's very prone to showing a warm and caring side around Heart.
- Theme Naming: Most of her attacks are named after legendary western weapons like "Brionac", "Claimh Solais", etc.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She is afraid of heights.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is blue.
Default Arcana: Anutpada (Time)
Voiced by: Hiromi HirataThe "Millennium Guardian" who has awakened due to a crisis brought upon by Mildred. She investigates this matter with the help of the ninja girl Konoha by posing as Heart and Saki's sempai, only with ponytail and still carrying her katana Tamayorihime... as if that's not going to attract the gaze of many an inquisitive eye.
- Action Girl: She is a very capable fighter.
- Cast from Hit Points: She can sacrifice sliver of her health in order to gain a boost in offense and to power-up her next special attack.
- Counter Attack: Has some attacks like this. One of them inflicts around 90% damage.
- Expy: Her appearance and weapon of choice remind of Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple's Shigure Kosaka.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: She has slept at least few decades before the present day, so there are quite a few things about the modern world that she has yet to understand.
- Hair Decorations: A round jewel she wears on a sidetail. It used to belong to her little sister and is implied to be made out of a rainbow-colored Celestial Stone.
- Hopeless with Tech: Being that she has slept at least few decades before the present day, she hasn't figured out how to really use modern day technology.
- Improbable Age: She became the Millennial Guardian at the age of ten.
- Lightning Bruiser: Her attacks are fast and does a lot of damage.
- Noodle Incident: Since she's Really 700 Years Old (possibly even older), Kamui drops more than a few lines about some other crises she's been woken up for. For example, in the first game, she tells Mildred that she wasn't the first to try merging the human and Elemental worlds, and later starts talking about some other enemies she faced to Konoha in her epilogue: apparently, she crossed blades with an organization called "The Divine Army", and The Third freakin' Reich!!
- Paper-Thin Disguise: No, Kamui, tying your hair back won't hide your identity, especially if you're carrying a katana.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt
- Rapunzel Hair: Her ponytail is about as long as her body.
- Really 700 Years Old: Despite her appearance, she is actually a lot older.
- Rip Van Winkle: Her Arcana keeps her in a state of eternal slumber, awaking whenever there is a crisis facing the human world.
- Samurai: She has this type of behavior and mindset.
- Samurai Ponytail: She wears her hair in a ponytail bound up almost at the top of her head, to go with her samurai-like behavior.
- Screw Destiny: One of "CARD of GLORY" plotlines has her discussing how she wishes to defy her fate to be put back to sleep after her duties are done for the time being.
- Sword Beam: Fires these off in one of her specials.
- Time Master: She has the Arcana of Time as her default, letting her freeze opponents in time, move at Super Speed, and use time-delayed copies of herself to evade and add to attacks. As a side-effect of her Arcana, she's Really 700 Years Old.
Default Arcana: Moriomoto (Nature)
Voiced by: Mayumi YoshidaA dog girl who comes from the legendary Koinumaru ninja clan. She is often very happy, going into battles happily and settling them in a well-intentioned manner. Her route is more joking, however, and it's largely all Played for Laughs.
- Doppelgänger Attack: One of her supers has her assaulting her opponent with dozens of clones of herself. Her Critical Heart also involves clones, but in much less quantity.
- Fear of Thunder: She herself says that she's not good around thunder.
- Fingerless Gloves: She wears them.
- Fragile Speedster: She is fast but she can't take much damage.
- Genki Girl: She won't let anything stop her.
- Highly Visible Ninja: She a ninja who is a dog girl.
- Little Bit Beastly: She has dog ears and a tail.
- Ninja: She came from the Koinumara ninja clan.
- Ninja Log: Her counter has her utilize either a log or a doll of herself in various costumes to escape opponent's attack.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Her long red scarf is large enough (and her small enough) to be used as an impromptu glider.
- School Sport Uniform: She wears this under her various "ninja" accessories.
- Shout-Out: Two of her palettes make her resemble Last Order and Bang Shishigami.
- Spinning Piledriver: She wouldn't be a ninja without an Izuna Drop move, would she?
- Stock Ninja Weaponry: Shurikens, kunais, smoke bombs and blowpipes (though she mainly uses the pipe as a snorkel when burrowing underground).
- Third-Person Person: She refers to herself in the third person.
- Undying Loyalty: She is deeply devoted to be on Kamui's side all the time and serve her in best of her abilities.
Default Arcana: Ohtsuchi (Earth)
Voiced by: Maki TsuchiyaSecond-born of four sisters specializing in exorcisms, called upon by the Japanese Ministry of Elemental Affairs to investigate Mildred's Evil Plan.
- Archer Archetype: She occasionally uses an archery move.
- The Big Girl: Of Heart's Five-Man Band, alongside Saki, Yoriko and Lilica.
- Chaste Heroine: She's one of the few girls without relationships with other girls bordering on a Homoerotic Subtext, although Clarice, in her fits of jealousy, seems to think something's going on with her and Elsa.
- Hime Cut: She has the traditional hairstyle befitting of a Miko and a Yamato Nadeshiko.
- Improbable Weapon User: She fights using spintops. You don't see that often.
- Miko: She is a shrine maiden.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches down to her knees.
- Shout-Out: Some palette swaps make her resemble C.C., Yuzu Hieda, Hanyuu Furude, (PC-98) Reimu Hakurei and Mana Tatsumiya (also another miko, at least outside her mercenary career).
- Sibling Team: Fights alongside her sisters.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Her page image says it all but there's more. She tries to maintain the generations-old traditions of the Kasuga shrine.
Default Arcana: Lang-Gong (Fire)
Voiced by: Juri TakitaA robot-girl in search of her master who was captured by Mildred. She is apparently friends with Kira, however insufferable she may be, and they often work together.
- The Ace: She's said to excel in all school subjects.
- Anime Chinese Girl: A Chinese Robot Girl, designed for combat with using Kung-Fu and her move names taken from The Four Gods. She also sports an Odango Hair in addition of big Boobs of Steel, and in one of her win poses, she can execute an instant-cloth-change into a Qipao.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Of the "robot girl" variety. Many of her moves are a series of punches and kicks.
- Boobs of Steel: Puns aside, she has the largest measurements of the entire playable cast and is the most physically oriented fighter of the cast.
- The Four Gods: Some of her special moves are based on them.
- Gainaxing: Her fighting stance and one her win poses contains this.
- Humans Are Morons: One of her lines implies that she might think this."Why must we settle this with our fists? You humans perplex me."
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Mecha: One of her special attacks involves this when she transforms into a giant mech.
- Leotard of Power: Wears one with the top part of a Chinese dress jacket worn over it. "Top part", as in just the collar and sleeves, to better display her assets.
- Lightning Bruiser: She has some decent speed and has powerful combos at her disposal. She's very strictly a close-range fighter though.
- Odango Hair: As expected from an Anime Chinese Girl, she has two bun covers on either side of her head. Since she's a robot, it's not known if they're filled up with actual hair.
- Playing with Fire: Outside of her Arcana, she has Elemental Punches what set her fists on fire.
- Robot Girl: She's a Ridiculously Human Robot who looks like a beautiful young girl.
- Shout-Out: Some palette swaps make her resemble Noel Vermilion, Litche Faye-Ling (also a buxom Chinese fighter), Hatsune Miku and Hsien-Ko.
- Supreme Chef: According to her backstory, Mei-Ling has over 4,000 years worth of Chinese recipes programmed into her. Also doubles as a literal Chef of Iron.
- Statuesque Stunner: At 171 cm.
- The Stoic: She is a robot.
- Thong of Shielding: Front and back, even.
- The Unfettered: She was very determined to find her owner, to the point of fighting any other fighter to gain info.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has blue hair.
- Younger than She Looks: She is technically three years old.
Default Arcana: Tempestas (Wind)
Voiced by: Mayako NigoA half-demon who lives with her father. She usually goes about searching for fun, and shrugs off work. She was apparently offered some kind of 'deal' from Mildred, which she (obviously) rejects.
- Adults Are Useless: Subverted in her ending for 3, where her demon dad helps the heroes find a way to turn Fiona back into a human. Granted, Lilica basically had to brow-beat her dad into helping, but it's still something.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Bratty Half-Pint Has shades of this as she prefers to have fun.
- But Not Too Foreign: Is half-Polish, though one of her nationalities is most likely a cover-up for her father's origin.
- The Chick: Of Heart's Five-Man Band, alongside Saki, Maori and Yoriko, though she's just as effective an Action Girl as the others.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She's a half-demon, but seems to be a good (if mischievous) girl.
- Difficult but Awesome: She requires a very good mastery of all her moves in order to be played well.
- Girlish Pigtails: She sports a pair.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-human, half-demon.
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad: Her father is a demon.
- I Call It "Vera": She calls her rollerblades "Wilde".
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Ms. Fanservice: She wears a Stripperific outfit consisting of a sleeveless jacket with her zipper down, a sports bra, and bike shorts, and one of her win poses has her whipping her vest off and blowing a kiss.
- Pointy Ears: She has them giving that she's half demon.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Yoriko's blue.
- Rollerblade Good: She wears rollerblades.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She removes her jacket in one of her win poses.
Default Arcana: Gier (Shadow)
Voiced by: Yoko HondaA girl who lost her family (unknowingly, by her own hands), and whose older sister Elfriede's body was placed on a puppet she carries around. She was hired by Mildred to capture Heart.
- Broken Bird: After losing her family, Lieselotte was emotionally scarred and she became a cold-hearted assassin.
- Creepy Child: Unsettlingly emotionless and quiet, wanted criminal in another dimension, and carries around a legless puppet with her sister's spirit trapped inside. And she's only ten years old. Yeah, pretty creepy.
- Difficult but Awesome: One of the trickier characters to use, but gets deadly once well played.
- Easily Forgiven: Aino is surprisingly cool with the fact that she tried to kidnap her in the first game. Then again, it is Aino.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: She dresses in gothic lolita fashion.
- Emotionless Girl: As she is an assassin.
- Enfante Terrible: Don't underestimate her for being a 10-year-old girl, she's cold-blooded assassin.
- Evil Albino: A dangerous assassin with the typical appearance of an albino.
- Hair Decorations: She wears a head dress, with a red ribbon on both sides of it.
- Heel–Face Turn: She's still the "creepy" member of the cast, but over time, she's mellowed out from cold-blooded assassin to Aloof Ally.
- Improbable Age: She's a ten-year-old assassin.
- Parasol of Pain: She uses her umbrella as a Magic Wand to cast the spells of her Arcana.
- Parasol Parachute: She enters matches by floating down with her parasol.
- Puppet Fighter: She can throw out a legless marionette out of the briefcase to intiate this type of gameplay. The doll normally moves by the directional inputs and attacks by button inputs, though Lieselotte can set up markers to make the doll do different actions on her own. The doll can only take three hits unless recalled, after which she becomes unable to move, requiring you to use a super to revive her. Her Arcana of Shadow, Gier, also behaves likes this. If you hold down the button as you are doing one of its special attacks, you can control Gier to make it move as a shadow around the field to go into a position to attack.
- Red Baron: "The Crimson-Eyed Puppeteer"
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Especially when she can confuse you by just staring at you with her red eyes.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: A stoic, cold-hearted and creepy young girl with short silver hair, red eyes and pale skin.
- Self-Made Orphan: She killed her own parents, but she doesn't know it.
- Shout-Out: Two of her palette swaps make her resemble Rachel Alucard and Kanaria.
- Sibling Team: Subverted, since her sister Elfriede is a doll, making her similar to Carl Clover. In truth, Elfriede is very much alive but amnesiac as "Zenia Valov".
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: A 10-year-old girl shouldn't be a creepy assassin who killed her own family.
- Vampire Vords: Back in 1, she spoke with this. She dropped it at 3.
- White Hair, Black Heart: She has silver hair and she's a ruthless assassin.
Default Arcana: Dieu Mort (Evil)
Voiced by: Yui ItsukiA young occult fangirl who summoned her staff, Mikey, from a spell. Unfortunately, she cannot control him that well, and as a result, she often gets into fights due to his manners.
- Alliterative Name Yoriko Yasuzumi
- Dark Is Not Evil: Even though she is interested in occultism and her main Arcana is the Arcana of Evil, Yoriko is a really nice girl. And while Mikey can be insufferable, if people acknowledge his true greatness, he isn't that bad of a guy.
- Dog Walks You: One of the biggest problems with Mike (aside from just about everything), is that he has a bad habit of literally dragging poor Yoriko around on what amounts to demonic joyrides. It's so bad that virtually every pre-fight quote made by Yoriko is screaming at her opponent to get out of the way, because she can't stop Mike's current rampage.
- Empathic Weapon: Mikey usually takes a form of a staff what Yoriko has to carry around.
- Meganekko: She's a cute, smart and shy girl with glasses.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her braid is as long as she's tall.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Lilica's and Mikey's red.
- Shout-Out: Three of her alternate colors make her look like Chitose Akiyama, Lambda-11 and Tomoko Hoshina. Another makes her resemble Louise!
- Trademark Favorite Food: French crullers are Mikey's main source of nutrition (and motivation).
Default Arcana: Niptra (Water)
Voiced by: Hiromi TsunakakeA girl who got her PhD at the Improbable Age of eleven, Kira has large intentions... as in World Domination. She fights Mildred with her trusty blob for getting in the way with that.
- Anime Hair: Apart from the fact that it's dark blue, it also looks like she has cat ears/horns.
- But Not Too Foreign: Is half-American.
- Child Prodigy: She is only 11 years old, but already has a PhD. In elemental science, and has since constructed her own sentient ball of slime that can do anything she wants it to.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Why does she want to Take Over the World? It's because that, after earning her PhD in an American university, she was forced to go back to grade school after returning to Japan!
- Does Not Like Shoes: Justified, considering she's perpetually swimming in her water blob, an action generally easier to do barefoot.
- Enfante Terrible: She's an 11 year old old that was to take over the world?
- Evil Laugh: After her Critical Heart Break. Also one of her victory poses... until her foot got stuck for spending way too much time on water.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Where her nice side is really hard to come by, Kira's interactions does show that she does value her friends to a certain degree.
- Horned Hairdo: Parts of her rise up to make her look like she has pair of small horns (or cat ears, depending how you look at it).
- Improbable Age: Earned her PhD at the tender age of eleven.
- Improbable Weapon User: She uses an articial blob of water in which she swims.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Evil, planning to take over the world and unusually young to have a doctorate.
- Making a Splash
- Mighty Glacier: And by extension, Glacier Waif. She's slow but her moves does a lot a damage.
- Pragmatic Villainy: The reason why she ends up fighting the other villains is that they are trying to destroy the world she is trying to conquer.
- School Swimsuit: Practically the only costume you ever see her wear in the series. Even when she's not fighting with her water-blob monster, she is always wearing one.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Daidouji/Daidohji.
- Take Over the World: Her stated goal.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Milk is essentially her fuel.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: Kind of justified since she's in a water blob.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Played with — the water blob does all the fighting for her, but she controls its movements by mimicking fighting moves.
Default Arcana: Orichalcos (Metal)
Voiced by: Maria YamamotoA British girl whom Saki befriend and was captured by Mildred in what was termed the "Mayfield Incident". She serves her mistress loyally, largely thinking of her as a friend. In any other route in 1, she is the penultimate opponent.
- Apologetic Attacker: Her down-forward strong attack is accompanied by a heartfelt "I'm sorry!" as she smacks her opponent up into the air with her BFS."Excalibur! GOMENASAI!"
- Ass Kicks You: If you charge her neutral E move, Fiona launches herself butt-first at the enemy.
- BFS: Wields a sword that's larger than she is.
- Difficult but Awesome: Her level 3 is a rekka that not only has two types of complicated inputs (in the first and last parts of the chain), but the last part of the chain requires strict timing. That said, it hits for 75% damage when done properly.
- Fragile Flower: Almost always ends up crying after losing to your fighter.
- Meido: She wears the classic maid costume...
- Ninja Maid: ...and can competently swing a zweihander as big as she is for the game's strongest (but slow) normals.
- Older Than She Looks: She stopped aging after she was pulled into the Elemental World, so while she's approximately as old as Saki, she still looks like a little girl.
- Shout-Out: Two of her palette swaps resemble Alice Margatroid (as she appears in the PC-98 games) and May.
Voiced by: Yukiko KikuchiA woman with an ambition of merging the human and elemental worlds and gain god-like powers. She is fought at the end of any route, and, unsurprisingly, is the hardest character to beat in the whole game, given that she has many unblockable attacks.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her outfit shows a lot of cleavage.
- Affably Evil: Always polite when she meets the other girls. Her treatment of Fiona, however, seems more than just politeness.
- A God Am I: Not quite a God, but when she gets the powers of an Archangel, she starts saying things pretty much along this line:What is this feeling? Is this… Is this what it’s like to become an Archangel? The power of the Elementals is within me!! I am eternal!!!
- All Your Powers Combined: She has a selection of all the best moves from all of the game's Arcana. Including regular special moves that are supers if used by a playable character.
- The Atoner: Around the events of 3, she feels bad of everything she has done and wishes to use her immortality to undo her mistakes, first thing being fulfilling Finoa's wish properly.
- Beam Spam: A given due to her being the final boss of the first game.
- Big Bad: In the first game.
- Big Little Sister: You see Angelia down on the page? Yeah, that is her big sister. Justified as where Angelia stopped aging and growing due of becoming ethereal, Mildred had chance to grow about seven years.
- Blondes Are Evil: The main villain of the first game, coming with long blonde hair.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: More like Drunk on the Light Side, but after becoming an Archangel, she quickly loses all pretense of wanting anything but to destroy mankind.Ha-ha-ha-ha! I’ve never felt so alive! The world seems so vivid! I see now what it's like to evolve! All other life is inferior! You're dirt- no, LESS than dirt! No one can stop the worlds from merging now!! Soon, my plans will be complete. I’ll be the creator of a new world, and all will know my name!!
- Light Is Not Good: She becomes an Archangel yet she want to destroy mankind.
- Not Quite the Right Thing: Her way of helping Fiona to reunite with everyone else was to... turn everyone else into ethereal like Fiona, mainly because she never considered the possibility that someone might not want to be one.
- Pet the Dog: Her treatment of Fiona. She genuinely cares for the latter.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: As part of her transformation into an Archangel, she gains blood-red eyes (in contrast to her initial blue eyes).
- SNK Boss: She has access to all the moves of the Arcana, she can do a lot damage if one her moves connects, and she has a screen filling super.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Avallone/Avalon.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: Thinks that merging the human and Elemental Worlds would give mankind salvation - nevermind the fact millions would outright die during the merge.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist - It's revealed in 3 that her actions were her means of trying to reunite with her sister.
- Winged Humanoid: She has angelic wings.
Debuting in Arcana Heart 2
Petra Johanna Lagerkvist
Default Arcana: Zilrael (Holy)
Voiced by: Marina InoueDaughter of the influential Lagerkvist family. On the second Elemental World incident triggered by Angelia, she travels to Kanto to investigate, assisted by nuns Elsa and Clarice in her endeavors.
- Big Good: Can count in 3 as she is the head of the family that actively opposes Drexler Institute.
- Flower in Her Hair: Wears a white rose Hair Decoration in her hair.
- Guns Akimbo: Uses twin handguns in battle, making her similar to Noel Vermillion, although Petra is far more sophisticated and confident.
- High Class Gloves: She wears a pair of arm length gloves.
- Holy Hand Grenade: She uses attack white magic.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: Her dress only covers the bottom two thirds of her chest, but doesn't slip.
- Mega Twintails: Wears her hair in two enormous drill twintails that are bigger than her own body.
- Ojou: She's frigging rich all right...
- Panty Shot: One of her supers seem to serve as nothing but accidentally reveal her panties while she kicks the enemy.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her twintails are long enough to fall past her knees.
- Shout-Out: Two of her palette swaps make her look like Fate/stay night's Rin Tohsaka (as "Kaleido Ruby") and Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, herself a gunslinger.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears white thigh-high stockings.
Default Arcana: Almacia (Ice)
Voiced by: Kaori ShimizuAmnesiac, no-nonsense Russian Special Forces agent sent to investigate Angelia's rampage in Kanto, and ends up clashing with Kamui. Beneath her tough exterior is a Friend to All Children who is somewhat fond of plushies.
- Aloof Big Sister: For Lieselotte, but neither of them knew until recently.
- Badass Longcoat: Sports a kickass black longcoat, supporting her appearance as a very powerful fighter.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: Her main Arcana, Almacia, is a penguin, and seems to like them as much as Kamui.
- Extremity Extremist: She uses very few kicks and mostly relies on punches and her pilebunker.
- Friend to All Children: She's surprisingly good with children.
- I Call It "Vera": Her pile bunker is named "Edinorog" (Russian for "unicorn"), and even Zenia sometimes remarks that its blood is boiling.
- Long-Lost Relative: She is actually Elfriede Achenbach, Lieselotte's older sister, separated at birth and given a complete memory wash. She learned this from Petra at the end of 3 and returned to Lieselotte for a short time.
- Mystical White Hair: She kinda fits this trope in that she has silver hair and her origin is completely shrouded in mystery.
- The Quiet One: She generally only talks when necessary and when she does, she only says what she needs to say.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Silver hair, red eyes, pale skin, mysterious past, very stoic.
- Shout-Out: Some of her alternate colors resemble Iori Yagami, Vanessa, Nina Antalk and Riza Hawkeye.
- Slipknot Ponytail: If she loses, that is, revealing her long hair.
- Statuesque Stunner: At 174 cm, she's the tallest character in the series.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Cold and efficient, yet shows her warmer side to children and Lieselotte.
- Too Many Belts: Has three belts in each of her boots and one hanging from her longcoat.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cookies.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: She looks like an older version of her little sister Lieselotte.
Elsa La Conti
Default Arcana: Koshmar (Punishment)
Voiced by: Kaya MiyakeA nun who assists Petra during the second Elemental World incident. She joined the Western Europe Spirit Sector after losing her family to a demon attack. She is very straight forward and sometimes too strict on herself.
- Berserk Button: She does not like to be called old.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It's not exactly harped upon in the story, but the reason Elsa joined the Western Europe Spirit Branch was because demons murdered her family.
- Demon Hunter: She used to be undiscriminating one when she was still mortal to the point where even her allies were afraid of her (not that she minded). It wasn't until she met Clarice that she mellowed down greatly.
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: Pulls out a magical gun for her Critical Heart.
- Expy: The gun and cross aside, her other physical weapons? Holy Water, a whip, a stake, a bible. Sounds like we have a lost Belmont.
- Fire-Forged Friends: First met Clarice after being ordered to kill her by her employers. The battle ended badly for both, and their lives were saved by their respective Arcanas.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: She views herself in a really bad light, constantly saying that she is worthless and trying to make up for it by working way harder than she should. It Many of her friends usually has to tell her that she shouldn't be so strict on herself.
- Holy Hand Grenade: She can Consecrate a certain area with few of her move sand the release holy energy from them.
- Immortality: Became immortal after the battle against Clarice and making a deal with Koshmar.
- Improbable Weapon User: She normally fights with an oversized cross named Crux.
- Trademark Favorite Food: She practically eats nothing but red bean pastries.
- Whip It Good: One of her moves is to lash out a whip.
Clarice di Lanza
Default Arcana: Sorwat (Sin)
Voiced by: Sayaka OharaA nun who assists Petra during the second Elemental World incident. She used to be a noblewoman in the elemental world, but boredom drove her to switch allegiances, and later became an agent of the Western Europe Spirit Sector after a rough encounter with Elsa.
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: She can apparently claw through the air with her fingernails.
- Berserk Button: Call her old, and she gets visibly mad at you. Harm her friends and she will come after you to take revenge. Harm Elsa and she will rip you to pieces.
- Church Militant: Looks like a nun and does combat, even though she's a demon and thus should be rooting for the other side.
- Cool Big Sis: Seems to act as one for the other sisters in her convent, if one of her win poses is any indication.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Even though she's a demon, she is generally nice and soft-spoken.
- Eyes Always Shut: If those eyes open, beware. The ground even shakes when her eyes open for added effect.
- Fragile Speedster: The most frail character this side of Scharlachrot, but she also has one of the fastest attacks in the game.
- Immortality: She became immortal after her battle against Elsa and making a deal with Sorwat.
- Naughty Nun: Not only she is a nurse, she is also quite impure, starting from her demon heritage and her light and very playful personality.
- Nun Too Holy: Besides the fact that she's a demon (or perhaps because of that fact), she tends to act immoral at times (though she usually means well).
- Psychotic Smirk: On the extremely rare occasion that she opens her eyes, her benevolent looking smile evolves into one. Simply put, you don't want this.
- Rapunzel Hair: All the way down to her waist.
- Say It with Hearts: Or... musical tones, if her text is any indication.
- Shout-Out: Some of her alternate colors make her look like Rosette Christopher (herself another combat nun), CC, Bridget and Index Librorum Prohibitorum.
- Summon Magic: Two of her supers has her summoning a demon called Chromatius.
Default Arcana: Median (Magnetism)
Voiced by: Ai MatayoshiA Japanese-American who fights with a huge robot of her own design named Terry Yodogawa. Despite her comical appearance, she is a genius prodigy who enrolled in MIT's College of Spirit Research at the age of ten. Arcana is Median, the Arcana of Magnetism.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Quite literally; she's an eccentric inventor and member of the MIT, which means she's really damn smart and she also has actual bunny ears.
- But Not Too Foreign: She is Japanese-American.
- Child Prodigy: She has built a fully functional multi-purpose Magitek Mini-Mecha. She is only ten years old.
- Does Not Like Shoes: It's hard to tell when she's in her mech, since her feet generally aren't visible, but whenever she's KO'd or hops out, then yep, she's barefoot.
- Eagleland: Combined with her Kansai Regional Accent and Phenotype Stereotype appearance, she's pretty much a personification of how Japan views Americans as.
- Improbable Age: Enrolled at MIT when she was ten.
- Kansai Regional Accent: Which is pretty impressive when you consider that she's actually an American (though of Japanese descent). And yes, her decidedly non-American accent gets lampshaded occasionally.
- Apparently, she picked up said accent from living with her grandmother.
- Mini-Mecha: It is called "Terry Yodogawa". Not quite large enough to be Humongous Mecha, but large enough to make her the tallest character in the cast.
- Morality Pet: Of sorts, to Kira. Catherine is one of the few people who actually like the arrogant genius girl.
- Shout-Out: Her design and color scheme pretty much screams of a loli, non-pudgy Dr. Eggman.
- Stuff Blowing Up: All of her supers has something blowing up, was it a Cartoon Bomb, a miniature drone of Yodogawa called Minigawa, multiple firework missiles or the Yodogawa itself creating the explosion.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Okonomiyaki and takoyaki, rooting back to her family roots in Osaka.
Default Arcana: Heliogabalus (Mirrors)
Voiced by: Yuu KobayashiAn American magus who works in Las Vegas as stage magician "Dorothy the Wizard". She has a strong sense of justice and helps the American Spirit Department whenever she can.
- Cane Fu: Her attacks aside of cards are consist of attacking with her cane. Her down air B is even a pogo cane!
- Death Dealer: Her specials involves using giant playing cards to attack, and they even have a special mechanism where having five cards on the screen has her "dealing them out", with the attack base on what hand you got.
- Gratuitous English: She is from North America, but still.Shall we go?!One, two, three!It's showtime!
- Improbable Age: Was the youngest fighter in the series until Eko appeared, and at the age of nine, she's a popular stage magician in Las Vegas.
- In the Blood: Her mother was magician and worked for Celestial Union and her father was acrobat and a thief, paving her way to being a magician and a thief herself, while also helping the Celestial Union.
- Irony: Despises her being a thief, some of her motivations in the story is to get something what was stolen from her (a Celestial Stone what belongs to her family, stolen by Lieselotte).
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: By just looking at her, it is hard to tell right away that she's a girl.
- Lovable Rogue: Even though she's a thief, she steals for the sake of justice, and is really friendly outside of that.
- Magicians Are Wizards: Don't let her Stage Magician role fool you, her Arcana Magic is quite real.
- Master of Disguise: She can easily use her magic to change her costume on the spot to distract any incoming police.
- Red Baron: "Phantom Oz".
- Shout-Out: Her overall theme and her familiars — a scarecrow, a tin man, and a lion — are all taken from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Also, one of her alternate colors resemble Carl Clover.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She absolutely hates cockroaches, to the point that even saying that word makes her creep out. Ironically, her Arcana is a ladybug, which gets pointed out at one point. She also fears octopi.
Default Arcana: Mildred (Light)
Voiced by: Eri SendaiMildred's sister bent on avenging the former's defeat.
- Avenging the Villain: She is Mildred's sister and has come to avenge her.
- Blondes Are Evil: She has blonde hair and she has a dark, antagonistic personality.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Since she constantly floats in midair, she doesn't need to wear shoes.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She is actually as concern of finding a way to turn Fiona back to human as Mildred is, its just that she doesn't want to reveal it to Fiona.
- Light Is Not Good: You think she looks like a little angel? You will be surprised when you get to know her dark personality.
- Big Little Sister: She is actually Mildred's older sister. She stopped aging at the age of 10 after ascending to the Elemental world.
- Ojou Ringlets: Sports side locks with ringlets at the end.
- Older Than She Looks: Due to being in the magical world, her aging has stopped.
- Promoted to Playable: The only final boss to become a playable character.
- Rapunzel Hair: It's as long as her body.
- Shout-Out: Some of her alternate colors evoke Taiga Aisaka, Shana, Rider (Medusa) and Ika Musume.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Avallone/Avalon.
- Use Your Head: Besides her "The Sparkle of Starlight" move, what has her ramming head first forwards, she also uses headbutts regularly outside of gameplay, which seems to be strong enough to knock down dinosaur-like creatures or shatter rock.
Debuting in Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2
Default Arcana: Kayatsuhime (Cherry Blossoms)
Voiced by: Mai HashimotoPart of the Inuwakamaru clan that guards Kamui, which puts her as rivals with Konoha. Nazuna is the younger, and more responsible sister. She fights using her three sacred weapons Tsumiko (cane), Fusumi (crow), and Hayata (wolf).
- Canine Companion: Hayata, who is big enough to ride which also makes it a Horse of a Different Color.
- Carry a Big Stick: Tsukimo is essentially a large cane with a hammer-like head.
- Creepy Crows: Fusumi does have rather imitating appearance, not helped by that it is also an Attack Animal.
- Expy: Of Samurai Shodown's Nakoruru, what with the bird companion. She's actually a combination of both her forms and this is referenced with having palettes based on Nakoruru, her Bust palette, Rera and Rimururu for good measure.
- Full-Name Basis: She tends to refer Konoha as "Konoha Koinumaru", mainly as their rivalry is also rooted to their clan's history of serving the Millennial Guardian.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She can act really harsh on her sister Akane, she does still care for her. And while she is determined to defeat Konoha, she at least knows if she unnecessarily screwed something over her and tries to make up for it.
Default Arcana: Phenex (Sound)
Voiced by: Mayumi ShindoNazuna's older, laidback sister. Despite her easygoing disposition, she's pretty competent at her job as a member of the Inuwakamaru clan.
- Big Sister Instinct: She is overprotective of her younger sister.
- Catch Phrase: "Sugoi, sugoi". Arguably a Title Drop.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She likes slacking off, playing around and not taking things seriously. But when she takes it seriously, she really is that good.
- Freakiness Shame: She is embarrassed about her dog ears and tail and tries to constantly hide them.
- Kick Chick: Almost all of her attacks has her using her legs to attack.
- Little Bit Beastly: Has dog ears and a tail.
Default Arcana: Paracelsia (Life) (That is, herself)
Voiced by: Ryoko OnoAn elven girl and main antagonist of Sugoi!. She was once human, a Swiss alchemist during the Renaissance. When she died, her soul went to the Arcana world, where she became the Arcana of Life. She refers to herself as the "Millennium Keeper", similar to how Kamui is called the "Millennium Guardian", and in fact has battled with Kamui several times in the past.
- All Your Powers Combined: Like Mildred, she borrows several attacks from other Arcana.
- Glass Cannon: Can deal ridiculous amounts of damage in even faster time, but a little bit of damage can knock her out. Now the problem is actually hitting her before her health regenerates...
- Hot Scientist: In her past life, she was an alchemist. She's a chemistry teacher in the modern day.
- Mystical White Hair: She is an elven girl with pinkish white hair.
- SNK Boss: Tops even Mildred herself in the cheapness department, and when reappearing in 3's score attack mode, has earned the title as being one of the most ridiculous examples of this in recent memory, possibly even putting most of SNK themselves to shame.
- Stripperiffic: Let's face it, she only wears a cape, and one square piece of cloth protecting her modesty. Now that's Stripperiffic.
Debuting in Arcana Heart 3
Default Arcana: Gottfried (Sword/Týr)
Voiced by: Miyuki SawashiroAn agent of "Valkyria", a branch of the Drexler Institute. She is fortunately saved by Petra and now works as her agent. She's out to save her fellow "Valkyria" agent Scharlachrot.
- Adorkable: Outside battle, she's a complete, adorable klutz who knows nothing about social life.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: She can summon blades onto her wrists as her main combat method.
- Bowties Are Cool: Her dress includes a purple bowtie. She even keeps it on if she gets turned into a blob by Gier's Arcana Blaze.
- Heroic Albino: One of the good guys, coming with nearly white platinum-blonde hair and red eyes. Ironically, she is supposed to not have albinism and yet appears more pale than both Lieselotte and Zenia, who are indirectly confirmed to have albinism due of them being second generation of Valkyries.
- Meaningful Name: Her name is pronounced Vice, and means White.
- Mystical White Hair: She has nearly white platinum-blonde hair, as befits her name. She's also a liberated experimental subject of a project trying to grant ordinary girls the power to channel Celestial Energy.
- No Social Skills: Knows next to nothing about society, having grown up in Drexler where she has barely any contact of the outside world. She is currently working to adjust.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Weiß is actually her codename, and everyone else other than Scharlachrot call her that. Scharlachrot is the only one to call her by her real name, which is Sophie.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears black tights with her outfit.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is as long as her body.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Light-colored hair? Check. Red eyes? Check. Pale skin? Check. Stoic behaviour? Check. No Social Skills? Check. Used as a human test subject in her past? Check.
- One of her supers lets her ride one of her expanded-sized swords to attack her opponent, reminding many of Jin Kisaragi "surfing" on sword-shaped ice blocks. Her own theme, "White Valkyria", also sounds like Jin's "Lust SIN".
- Her design is also similar to Dark Saber, specializes in summoning blades out of thin air, and "Extend Force Critical Heart" brings to mind the legendary "Unlimited Blade Works".
- One of her Alternate Colors make her resemble Akemi Homura.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's serious and stoic, but she cares deeply for her new friends and comrades.
- Theme Naming: Gottfried's moves are named after infamous Nazi officers.
Default Arcana: Saligrama (Luck)
Voiced by: Ayumi Tsuji (Eko) and Yoshimasa Hosoya (Kazu)A girl with the power to bring life to her drawings, creating in the process her fighting twin Kazu.
- A Girl And Her X: Eko is always accompanied by Kazuhiro (Kazu for short), her giant child's drawing.
- Art Initiates Life: Her power is to bring life to any immaterial object, her favorite use of which is on drawings.
- Make My Monster Grow: Eko's Critical Heart has Kazu grow humongous.
- The Nicknamer: She has nicknames to everyone in the cast besides Petra, Elsa and Clarice
- Shout-Out: Eko's Critical Heart resembles a Spell Card from the Touhou fighting games. Also, one of her alternate costumes make her resemble Roll.
- Token Mini-Moe: She is the youngest character in the cast, and as such, the shortest one.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is purple.
Default Arcana: Baldur (Fang/Fenrir)
Voiced by: Yuki MatsuokaA girl raised by Drexler Institute alongside Weiß. Unlike the latter, however, she remains under Drexler's thrall, and has been released in order to hunt down Weiß.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: Her cape covers her body up in her official artwork.
- Animal Mecha: Her Arcana Baldur. Also artificially created.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Drexler forced her to gather enough Celestial Stones to activate Ragnarok. In her story, once you defeat Weiß and Ragnarok powers up, she snaps out of it.
- Character Tic: Flicking her arm whenever she goes into an idle position.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Her post-3 characterization has her more or less clinging into Weiß due of her being the only thing left what connects her to this world after the fall of the Institute.
- Expy: She's an Ax-Crazy lady with a Psychotic Smirk who uses chains, occasionally Laughing Mad, is one of the most evil characters in the series (as much as its standards go) who hates the world, and wants to use an Applied Phlebotinum for that purpose. Pretty much a less Faux Affably Evil Hazama.
- Meaningful Name: Scharlachrot means "scarlet red", in reference to her hair/eye color as well as her bloodlust.
- No Pronunciation Guide: What is her name supposed to be? note
- Rapunzel Hair: Her twintails reach down her ankles.
- Shout-Out: One of her alternate costumes make her resemble Black★Rock Shooter.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Official spelling: Scharlachrot. Because it's too complicated, often spelled as "Scharharlot".
- Stripperiffic: She wears a bikini-style top and hot pants under her cape and not much else.
- Theme Naming: Like Weiß, she takes her Geist move names from prominent Nazi officers. Baldur is not a reference to the benevolent Norse god of light, but to Baldur von Schirach, head of the Hitler Youth. It even has a move called Agosai Schirach (Jawbreaking Schirach).
- Attack Drone: Has two robots what will attack to make it hard to attack Ragnarok.
- Attac Kits Weakpoint: Has five slots where it's Celestial Stones are, and you have to attack all of them to stop it.
- Final Boss: Is the final opponent of every character in 3's storymode and any of it's Updated Rereleases.
- Humongous Mecha: Its absolutely humongous mecha-like being, to the point that it overshadows some of the Arcanas.
- Norse Mythology: Not only is it named after the foretold end of the world, but it has systems named after stuff from Norse Mythology (Odin, Gungnir, Sleipnir)
- Our Centaurs Are Different: It seems to strike for a eight-legged centaur imagery, with its legs being shaped like horse legs.
- Time-Limit Boss: No matter what the game timer is set to, you have 60 seconds to destroy it. If you "win" via timeout, you get the bad ending — at least losing either by timeout or KO still allows you to continue.
Default Arcana: Ichor (Blood)A new character introduced in the updated version of Arcana Heart 3, Six Stars. She's a wannabe hero. After feelings of frustration arose in herself as the Misono Academy girls are off protecting the world in secret, she decided to take up the mantle for herself. In her mind if she has power of her own, there isn't any reason why she can't enter the fray.
- Absolute Cleavage: She wears a "top" composed only by a shawl that leaves exposed the entirety of her cleavage and her belly.
- Bloody Murder: Hers is the Arcana of Blood, Ichor. Its attacks include splashing the opponent with blood.
- Cute Bruiser: In spite of her diminutive size, her fighting style is very direct and melee-oriented.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Hair Antennae: She has two curled strands of hair sticking up, resembling antennae. In a rather unique variant, they slope backwards, rather than forwards.
- Magic Skirt: Just how does that top not flap upwards or to the side, given the game's focus on airdashing?
- Power Fist: Infused with her Geist, Fabnir.
- Theme Naming: Her weapon was made by the Drexler Institute, and thus three of its move names reference prominent Nazi officers.
- Vapor Wear: Her skimpy top makes clear she's not wearing a bra.