Here be the characters of the all-girls fighting game Arcana Heart
. All image columns shown come from 3
open/close all folders
Debuting in Arcana Heart
Default Arcana: Partinias (Love)
The mascot of the series, a complete ditz and a loyal worshipper of The Power of Love
. Her purpose is... to be just there to help her friends when they're down, but in the process, she makes herself fair game to people who seem to desire her power (or her pureness) for something.
- Anime Hair
- Badass Adorable: Sweet, friendly, and able to kick ass.
- Cross Over: In an official April Fools' Flash Game by Arc Systems Works and Examu, Heart is on a date with Ragna The Bloodedge. She also makes a guest appearance in Bururaji, complete with chibi BlazBlue-style sprite. Come 3 she also starts learning moves seemingly ripped straight off Ragna. It pretty much helps that her and Ragna's voice actors had a history of voicing roles together.
- Determinator: Once she makes up her mind on doing something, nothing seems to be able to stop the kid.
- Good Is Dumb: As her name would imply, Heart is a very kind, loving and righteous girl, but she's also as sharp as a bag of hammers.
- The Heart: Why of course. Among other things, she's the only reason Saki hasn't went off the deep end after all that's happened to her.
- The Heroine: Of her Five-Man Band with Saki, Maori, Yoriko and Lilica.
- Idiot Heroine
- Jack of All Stats
- Idiot Hair: Heart shaped, even.
- Love Freak
- Martial Pacifist
- Meaningful Name: Her name in Japanese order has a meaning akin to "heart of love".
- Moveset Clone: Or more like Ragna and Jin would be more appropriate — Heart is the Ragna to Saki's Jin.
- Nice Girl
- The Nicknamer
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Saki and Weiß' blue.
- The Power of Love: Literally — most of her moves have "love" and "heart" in the name. Partinias is also Heart-elemental.
- Red Headed Heroine
- Shout-Out: Some of her palettes make her resemble Mikoto Misaka, Accelerator, Yukiko Amagi, Sanae Nagatsuki, Minori Kushieda and Madoka Kaname.
- Shotoclone: An unusual variation in that she technically has no projectiles of her own, but relies on an Arcana for them. Most (but not all) Arcanas have projectiles, however, including her default one, so she still qualifies.
- Especially since her default arcana has Ryu's projectiles. The serial numbers are barely even filed off.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Default Arcana: Bhanri (Lightning)
Voiced by: Yumi Shimura
Heart's aloof best friend (though she won't admit) who has gone studying in England, where she befriended Fiona, whom she unfortunately lost during the separation of the Elemental World. In the process her Arcana would wake in time to save her life, and ever since made a vow to protect her remaining friends, even if from afar.
- Aloof Ally
- Broken Bird
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker
- Captain Ersatz: She really looked a bit like Chikane Himemiya with lighter tint of hair and the same protective instinct.
- Charged Attack: Every of her specials. Even the 'Hold Up' and 'Hold Forward' ones. Excepting her special sidestep.
- Clothing Damage: If she's defeated by a super move, her tights get ripped in a few places.
- Cry Cute: At the end of her story in 3, she broke down in tears upon realizing that all her efforts to gain the sacred stones to turn Fiona back to human was a complete failure, and the rumors behind it could be lies. Thank God there's Heart to cheer her up.
- Extremity Extremist: Prefers to fight with her feet.
- The Lancer: Of Heart's Five-Man Band, along with Maori, Yoriko and Lilica.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Moveset Clone: Or more like Ragna and Jin would be more appropriate — Saki is the Jin to Heart's Ragna.
- My Greatest Failure: The loss of Fiona into the spirit world.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Heart's red.
- Shock and Awe
- Shout-Out: Some of her palettes resemble Akiha Tohno, Homura Akemi, Millia Rage or Ky Kiske and Chikane Himemiya.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- The Stoic: Usually.
- Not So Stoic: More often than not, when around Heart. Or regarding Fiona.
- Theme Naming: Most of her attacks are named after legendary western weapons like "Brionac", "Claimh Solais", etc.
- Tsundere: Type A — very heavy on the tsuntsun (AKA giving the cold shoulder), but very prone to going deredere around Heart.
- Why Did It Have to be Heights?
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Default Arcana: Anutpada (Time)
The "Millennium Guardian" who has awakened due to a crisis brought upon by Mildred. She investigates this matter with the help of the ninja girl Konoha by posing as Heart and Saki's sempai, only with ponytail and still carrying her katana Tamayorihime... as if that's not going to attract the gaze of many an inquisitive eye
Default Arcana: Moriomoto (Nature)
Voiced by: Mayumi Yoshida
A dog-girl who comes from a legendary ninja clan. She is often very happy, going into battles happily and settling them in a well-intentioned manner. Her route is more joking, however, and it's largely all Played for Laughs
Default Arcana: Ohtsuchi (Earth)
Voiced by: Maki Tsuchiya
Second-born of four sisters specializing in exorcisms, called upon by the Japanese Ministry of Elemental Affairs to investigate Mildred's Evil Plan
Default Arcana: Lang-Gong (Fire)
Voiced by: Juri Takita
A robot-girl in search of her master who was captured by Mildred. She is apparently friends with Kira, however insufferable she may be, and they often work together.
Default Arcana: Tempestas (Wind)
A half-demon who lives with her father. She usually goes about searching for fun, and shrugs off work. She was apparently offered some kind of 'deal' from Mildred
, which she (obviously) rejects.
Default Arcana: Gier (Shadow)
Voiced by: Yoko Honda
A girl who lost her family (unknowingly, by her own hands), and whose older sister Elfriede's body was placed on a puppet she carries around. She was hired by Mildred to capture Heart
. In truth, Elfriede is very much alive but amnesiac as "Zenia Valov".
Default Arcana: Dieu Mort (Evil)
Voiced by: Yui Itsuki
A young occult fangirl who summoned her staff, Mike, from a spell. Unfortunately, she cannot control him that well, and as a result, she often gets into fights due to his manners.
Default Arcana: Niptra (Water)
Voiced by: Hiromi Tsunakake
A girl who got her PhD at the Improbable Age
, Kira has large intentions... as in World Domination
. She fights Mildred with her trusty blob for getting in the way with that.
Default Arcana: Orichalcos (Metal)
A British girl whom Saki befriend and was captured by Mildred in what was termed the "Mayfield Incident". She serves her mistress loyally, largely thinking of her as a friend. In any other route in 1
, she is the penultimate opponent.
Voiced by: Yukiko Kikuchi
A woman with an ambition of merging the human and elemental worlds and gain god-like powers. She is fought at the end of any route, and, unsurprisingly, is the hardest character to beat
in the whole game, given that she has many unblockable attacks.
Debuting in Arcana Heart 2
Petra Johanna Lagerkvist
Default Arcana: Zilrael (Holy)
Daughter of the influential Lagerkvist family. On the second Elemental World incident triggered by Angelia, she travels to Kanto to investigate, assisted by nuns Elsa and Clarice in her endeavors.
Default Arcana: Almacia (Ice)
Amnesiac, no-nonsense Russian Special Forces agent sent to investigate Angelia's rampage in Kanto, and ends up clashing with Kamui. Beneath her tough exterior is a Friend to All Children
who is somewhat fond of plushies. She is actually Elfriede Achenbach, Lieselotte's older sister, separated at birth and given a complete memory wash. She learned this from Petra at the end of 3 and returned to Lieselotte for a short time.
Elsa La Conti
Default Arcana: Koshmar (Punishment)
Voiced by: Kaya Miyake
A nun who assists Petra during the second Elemental World incident. She joined the Western Europe Spirit Sector after losing her family to a demon attack. She is very straight forward and sometimes too strict on herself.
Clarice di Lanza
Default Arcana: Sorwat (Sin)
A nun who assists Petra during the second Elemental World incident. She used to be a noblewoman in the elemental world, but boredom drove her to switch allegiances, and later became an agent of the Western Europe Spirit Sector after a rough encounter with Elsa.
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: She can apparently claw through the air with her fingernails.
- Berserk Button: Calling her any word what implies she's old is one way to instantly make her mad enough to open up her eyes, which is not a good sign.
- Church Militant: And yet she's a demon.
- Cool Big Sis: Seems to act as one for the other sisters in her convent, if one of her win poses is any indication.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Fire-Forged Friends: See Elsa's entry.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: If those eyes open, beware. The ground even shakes when her eyes open for added effect.
- Fragile Speedster: The most frail character this side of Scharlachrot, but she also has one of the fastest attacks in the game.
- Nun Too Holy: Besides the fact that she's a demon (or perhaps because of that fact), she tends to act immoral at times (though she usually means well).
- Psychotic Smirk: On the extremely rare occasion that she opens her eyes, her benevolent looking smile evolves into one. Simply put, you don't want this.
- Say It with Hearts: Or... musical tones, if her text is any indication.
- Shout-Out: Some of her alternate colors make her look like Rosette Christopher (herself another combat nun), CC, Bridget and Index Librorum Prohibitorum.
- Summon Magic: Two of her supers has her summoning a demon called Chromatius.
Default Arcana: Median (Magnetism)
Voiced by: Ai Matayoshi
A Japanese-American who fights with a huge robot of her own design named Terry Yodogawa. Despite her comical appearance, she is a genius prodigy who enrolled in MIT's College of Spirit Research at the age of ten. Arcana is Median, the Arcana of Magnetism.
Default Arcana: Heliogabalus (Mirrors)
An American magus who works in Las Vegas as stage magician "Dorothy the Wizard". She has a strong sense of justice and helps the American Spirit Department whenever she can.
- Black Magician Girl
- Cane Fu: Her attacks aside of cards are consist of attacking with her cane. Her down air B is even a pogo cane!
- Boyish Short Hair
- Death Dealer: Her specials involves using giant playing cards to attack, and they even have a special mechanism where having five cards on the screen has her "dealing them out", with the attack base on what hand you got.
- Gratuitous English: She is from North America, but still.
Shall we go?!
One, two, three!
- Improbable Age: Was the youngest fighter in the series until Eko appeared, and at the age of nine, she's a popular stage magician in Las Vegas.
- Red Baron: "Phantom Oz".
- Shout-Out: Her overall theme and her familiars — a scarecrow, a tin man, and a lion — are all taken from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Also, one of her alternate colors resemble Carl Clover.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She absolutely hates cockroaches, to the point that even saying that word makes her creep out. Ironically, her Arcana is a ladybug, which gets pointed out at one point.
Default Arcana: Mildred (Light)Mildred's
sister bent on avenging the former's defeat.
Debuting in Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2
Default Arcana: Kayatsuhime (Cherry Blossoms)
Voiced by: Mai Hashimoto
Part of the Inuwakamaru clan that guards Kamui, which puts her as rivals with Konoha. Nazuna is the younger, and more responsible sister. She fights using her three sacred weapons Tsumiko (cane), Fusumi (crow), and Hayata (wolf)
Default Arcana: Phenex (Sound)
Voiced by: Mayumi Shindo
Nazuna's older, laidback sister. Despite her easygoing disposition, she's pretty competent at her job as a member of the Inuwakamaru clan.
An elven girl and main antagonist of Sugoi!
. She was once human, a Swiss alchemist during the Renaissance. When she died, her soul went to the Arcana world, where she became the Arcana of Life. She refers to herself as the "Millennium Keeper", similar to how Kamui is called the "Millennium Guardian", and in fact has battled with Kamui several times in the past.
Debuting in Arcana Heart 3
Default Arcana: Gottfried (Sword/Týr)
An agent of "Valkyria", a branch of the Drexler Institute. She is fortunately saved by Petra and now works as her agent. She's out to save her fellow "Valkyria" agent Scharlachrot.
- Animal Mecha: Gottfried. It was actually a construct.
- Artificial Arcana: Gottfried turns out to be a construct based on Tyr, Norse god of war.
- Badass Adorable: Outside battle, she's a complete, adorable klutz who knows nothing about social life.
- Bowties Are Cool: She even keeps it on if she gets turned into a blob by Gier's Arcana Blaze.
- Gratuitous German: It's pronounced Vice, and means White.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Not Good with People: Knows next to nothing about society, having grown up in Drexler where she has barely any contact of the outside world. She is currently working to adjust.
- One of her supers lets her ride one of her expanded-sized swords to attack her opponent, reminding many of Jin Kisaragi "surfing" on sword-shaped ice blocks. Her own theme, "White Valkyria", also sounds like Jin's "Lust SIN".
- Her design is also similar to Dark Saber, specializes in summoning blades out of thin air, and "Extend Force Critical Heart" brings to mind the legendary "Unlimited Blade Works".
- One of her Alternate Colors make her resemble Akemi Homura
- Ride The Swordning
- Rapunzel Hair: White-ish, as befits her name.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue oni to Heart and Scharlachrot's red oni.
- The Stoic: Most of the time.
- Not So Stoic: Has her own share of moments. Particularly, if it involves her friends.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Gottfried's moves are named after infamous Nazi officers.
Eko and Kazu
Default Arcana: Saligrama (Luck)
A girl with the power to bring life to any immaterial object, her favorite use of which is on drawings, creating in the process her fighting twin Kazu.
Default Arcana: Baldur (Fang/Fenrir)
A girl raised by Drexler Institute alongside Weiß. Unlike the latter, however, she remains under Drexler's thrall, and has been released in order to hunt down Weiß.
- Animal Mecha: Her Arcana Baldur. Also artificially created.
- Ax-Crazy: Breaks out of it in her ending.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Drexler forced her to gather enough Celestial Stones to activate Ragnarok. In her story, once you defeat Weiß and Ragnarok powers up, she snaps out of it.
- Evil Redhead
- Expy: She's an Ax-Crazy lady with a Psychotic Smirk who uses chains, occasionally Laughing Mad, is one of the most evil characters in the series (as much as its standards go) who hates the world, and wants to use an Applied Phlebotinum for that purpose. Pretty much a less Faux Affably Evil Hazama.
- Meaningful Name: Scharlachrot means "scarlet red", in reference to her hair/eye color as well as her bloodlust.
- No Pronunciation Guide: What is her name supposed to be? note
- Norse Mythology: Her Arcana is named Baldur, and it is apparently in-story based off Fenrir.
- Psychotic Smirk: She frequently has this on.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Weiß's blue.
- Shout-Out: One of her alternate costumes make her resemble Black★Rock Shooter.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Official spelling: Scharlachrot. Because it's too complicated, often spelled as "Scharharlot".
- Stripperiffic: Yeah, really, just look at that getup she's wearing.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Like Weiß, she takes her Arcana move names from prominent Nazi officers. Baldur is not a reference to the benevolent Norse god of light, but to Baldur von Schirach, head of the Hitler Youth. It even has a move called Agosai Schirach (Jawbreaking Schirach).
- Yandere: For Weiß. Probably a result of Drexler's brainwashing.
- Attack Drone: Has two of them as a back-up.
- Final Boss
- Humongous Mecha: But just like Gottfried and Baldur, it too is but a construct.
- The One Guy: Although being an artificial Arcana, he may not count.
- Time-Limit Boss: No matter what the game timer is set to, you have 60 seconds to destroy it. If you "win" via timeout, you get the bad ending — at least losing either by timeout or KO still allows you to continue.