Characters: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
open/close all folders
Sonic the Hedgehog
- Big Brother Instinct: Probably the most emphasized usage of any Sonic incarnation. He looks out for Tails constantly and regularly goes frantic the moment something happens to him.
- Catch Phrase: "Up, over and gooone!", "I'm waaaaiiiiiiitiiiiiing…", "Gotta speed, keed!", "You got it ace - let's race!" amongst other rhyming phrases.
- Chick Magnet
- The Chosen One: He was apparently prophesied to save the kingdom featured in "Hedgehog of the Hound Table", if the legend of the Holy Hedgehog is any indication.
- Determinator: Even the odd time his foes give him a genuine challenge, Sonic is not one to back down.
- Guile Hero: Achieves victory through his wits just as often as his speed.
- The Hero
- Karmic Trickster: The show nudges Sonic's characterization into this category, where he uses all sorts of mental tricks and misdirection to deflate Robotnik's plans.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Takes up the mantle of the legendary "Holy Hedgehog" in "Hedgehog of the Hound Table".
- Mr. Vice Guy: Occasional overconfidence.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Much of Sonic's disguises are this. One's just Sonic with a hat and a bag of mail, and they fall for it.
- Lampshaded by Sonic when, to his alarm, sufficient doses of downloaded ninjutsu allow Scratch and Grounder to see through a disguise.
- Also in the episode Grounder the Genius twice. The first time Sonic visits the fortress as a "Chip Recycler" and looks for the genius chip. Grounder says he has it which Sonic tries to get him, however Grounder, now being a genius, petrifies him aware that this would happen. Another example is later where Grounder makes out a trap and tosses it away far before anything bad happens. Sonic takes off his disguise and Grounder states he already knew Sonic was going to pull that.
- At one point, Sonic even winks at the audience while showing himself through disguise.
- In "Too Tall Tails" Sonic actually takes off his disguise midway through one of his schemes. Scratch and Grounder still don't recognize him!
- Dr. Robotnik actually does manage to see through the majority of Sonic's disguises, however the few times he does it is either a few moments too late, or he's too far away to tell Grounder and Scratch, the ones typically being tricked.
- Parental Substitute: To Tails, who happily accepts that Sonic's his "mom, dad, and picket-fence".
- Race Lift: Type 5. Simply put, Jaleel White didn't want Sonic to sound too black.
- Rhymes on a Dime
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Sonic in some of his disguises counts for this.
- Smug Super: At times.
- Teen Genius: Sonic has his moments of this.
- Totally Radical
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chili-dogs.
- Walking the Earth
Miles "Tails" Prower
Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- Ax-Crazy: While he is Played for Laughs most of the time, that still doesn't make him less dangerous.
- Badass Moustache
- Bad Boss: Robotnik comically verbally and physically abuses his "metallic moron" minions on a very frequent basis. On more than a few occasions he has also proved to find them rather dispensable as well.
- Bald of Evil: Sonic has frustrated Robotnik so much, he made him "Tear every hair from my BEAUUUUUTIFUL HEAD!"
- Berserk Button: Robotnik has many. For instance, when served hotcakes for breakfast instead of his traditional eggs:
*Robotnik grabs Scratch by the neck*
Scratch: (nervously) W-w-what?
Robotnik: CHOPPED CHICKEN BRAINS!
- Having his dishes smashed:
Scratch: (disheartened moan) Dr. Robotnik's gonna be very unhappy!
*Robotnik appears in the kitchen doorway*
- Beware the Silly Ones: It is often implied Robotnik is only ineffective due to Sonic. A lot of episodes show the heroes encountering civilians that have already been enslaved or terrorized by Robotnik due to Sonic not being around. Not to mention the odd occasion Robotnik even manages to get one over the hedgehog.
- Big Bad
- Big Beautiful Man: In his own mind, at least; the chief animator paid special attention to trying to convey this, in hopes of making Robotnik "animation's sexiest fat man". Of course, the reality is that, in-universe and out, Robotnik's "sexy moments" are serious Fan Disservice.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Has black sclera with glowing red pupils.
- Black Knight: Briefly adopts this persona when attempting to overthrow King Arfur in "Hedgehog of the Round Table". He's even called the "Bloated Knight".
- Butt Monkey: Sonic pulls no punches making him suffer. One of the best examples is the "Zoobotnik" episode.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Played with. Sure, he likes being called despicable but there are moments when he will pretend to be a hero if his plans require it. An example of this would be "Over The Hill Hero", where he says to Captain Rescue "I think we can fight rotten-ness just as good as that hedgehog.".
- Catch Phrase: "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!!"
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Is this in contrast to his game counterpart.
- Dastardly Whiplash: Has some of this trope's characteristics, most notably mustache-twirling, open and two-dimensional eeevilness and bombastic diabolical laughter.
- Dirty Coward
- Disproportionate Retribution: Over and over again throughout the entire show.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Dr. Robotnik fears his mother, but he still loves her.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Loathes his cousin, Dr. Warpnik, for being a creepy, freaky, utter loony with an unsettling fixation on fish. To the point he sealed him up in a pocket dimension called the Warp of Confusion to get him out of everyone's hair.
- Evil Laugh: Robotnik has a few utterly excellent ones.
- Evil Is Hammy: Robotnik takes it up to eleven.
- Fat Bastard
- Faux Affably Evil: Though Robotnik's villainy is taken somewhat lightly, some of it can seem pretty extreme when you think about it.
- Flowery Insults: Robotnik LOVES to insult people. A lot. Here's an alphabetized video of all of his insults throughout the whole series.
- Freudian Excuse: Dr. Robotnik is implied to have one in the form of his abusive mother, Momma Robotnik.
- Gadgeteer Genius: As buffoonish as he is, most of his gadgets do what they are supposed to and are pretty damn advanced.
- Genre Savvy: He may not fare much better than Grounder and Scratch in the department of victory, but at least he knows enough to try different methods to keep Sonic away (such as tempered steel and tricking people around Sonic rather than getting Sonic himself), and even then always assumes Sonic will show up and take out Scratch and Grounder at the minimum.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Uh, yeah.
- In-Series Nickname: Sonic sometimes calls him 'Robuttnik'. Predictably, Robotnik hates it.
- Lack of Empathy
- Large Ham: Oh God, yes!
- Last Name Basis: Dr. Robotnik, whose first name "Ivo" is only mentioned twice in the whole series.
- Laughably Evil: The doctor is completely ruthless, but it's hard to find a scene he isn't hilarious. Only upped even further due to YouTube Poop.
- Man Child
- My Beloved Smother: Robotnik, despite his evil nature, is completely at the mercy of his mother, who is even more demanding and has a really bad temper. He has turned on her a couple of occasions though.
- NO INDOOR VOICE: Like you wouldn't believe.
- Never My Fault/Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: On one occasion, he demotes Coconuts after he himself is tricked by Sonic, even though Coconuts wasn't even present at the time. As he puts it, "I'm the boss! I can blame whoever I want!"
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Usually rather bumbling and defeated handily by Sonic. There are a fair few times he manages to outsmart the hedgehog and temporarily get the upper hand however. It helps he also knows just how to get under Sonic's skin (see above).
- Pet the Dog: In the first Mama Robotnik episode, he shows he sincerely loves and cares for his "Fuzzy-wuzzy", the teddy bear he grew up with a child and which was his only friend. True, Fuzzy-wuzzy is a killer robot that basically turns into a creepily real grizzly with four arms and two heads, but he still loves him all the same, even begging Sonic to save Fuzzy-wuzzy from being destroyed and promising to stop his latest evil plot.
- "So Long Sucker" reveals that Robotnik still carries around a photo of his deceased pet cockroach, "Mr. Bobo", whom he was apparently quite fond of. He even sheds a few tears reminiscing.
- Pirate: In the episode of "Blackbot the Pirate". He even looks the part. But he's mostly in it for the Chaos Emerald of Invisibility.
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Robo Sexual: Robotnik himself proved this when he created a robot wife.
- Robotic Spouse: Robotnik gets a couple of these for himself in a couple of episodes
- Slasher Smile: Among many of his emotes.
- Sore Loser
- Suddenly Shouting: All the freakin' time.
- Terrible Trio: Forms one with Scratch and Grounder in most episodes, playing the role of the boss, natch.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Eggs. He's had eggs for breakfast every day for the last ten years! No, he does not want any hotcakes for breakfast.
- Trrrilling Rrrs: Does this quite frrrequently.
- "I'll have to give myself a PRRRRROMOTION!"
- Villainous Breakdown: Has one at least once an episode.
- Would Hurt a Child: He's stated to Sonic before that if he had captured Tails, he'd be torturing him.
Scratch & Grounder
Robotnik's newest, dedicated anti-Sonic robots and general minions. Unfortunately for him, they're both total incompetents and idiots. Created at about the same time from the same machine, they would originally have been identical, but Scratch pulled a lever that caused Grounder to come out with a different chassis. Both Badniks are based off of badniks from Sonic the Hedgehog 2
; Grounder is a straight lift of the Grounder badnik (itself a lift of Burrobot from the first game), while Scratch is a heavily modified Clucker (a turret-firing chicken badnik).
One of Robotnik's earlier creations; pushed aside in favor of Scratch and Grounder, Coconuts yearns to re-earn Robotnik's attention and affection and so often works independently of his "little brothers", though he will work with them if he must. Coconuts' name and design are lifted directly from the "Coconuts" badnik of Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Advertised Extra: He appears in the opening, but appears only in a few episodes.
- Butt Monkey: Takes abuse most of the time simply for existing despite his rather extreme effort and enthusiasm, getting demoted constantly for mostly nothing…and it's not like Scratch and Grounder are much better off.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain
- Terrible Trio: When he works with Scratch and Grounder.
- The Unfavorite: Gets it much worse than Scratch and Grounder, which is really saying something.
A robotic female hedgehog created by Robotnik to run Sonic into an exhausted state by bending him around her little finger and sending him on impossibly long quests to please her. She has a change of heart when Sonic turns out to genuinely care for her and winds up joining a community of Robotnik's various "junked" robots.
Robotnik's harridan mother, normally held safely away in the "Mobius Home for Really Bizarre Mothers" but who sometimes escapes to harass her son and everyone else. She looks almost identical to her son, but she's considerably larger (usually twice his size, depending on the scene) and much nastier.
- Brawn Hilda: She's a huge, fat, ugly woman.
- Card-Carrying Villain: As she reveals in "Zoobotnik," she intentionally raised her son to be a dishonest supervillain.
- Depending on the Artist: While always designed as something of a female Robotnik, the extent of this varies from having at least basic Tertiary Sexual Characteristics, to outright being her son in a dress, mustache and all.
- The Dreaded: She's so crazy and evil that even Robotnik himself is terrified of her.
- Even Mama Robotnik Has Standards: Granted she despises Ivo and wants him to be evil at the same time, but not even SHE voted for him in "Sonic Is Running".
- Gag Boobs: In one of the show's many instances of Getting Crap Past the Radar, they visibly stretch out her much-too-small dress.
- Girls with Moustaches: Depending on the Artist at least.
- Gonk: Arguably even moreso than her son, due to the two looking so similar. She even has his mustache.
- Hypocrite: In her first appearance she gets mad at Robotnik for lying to her, then in "Zoobotnik" says she raised him to always lie.
- Large Ham: Just as much as her son.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Is essentially Robotnik in a dress with eyelashes. They didn't even bother getting rid of the mustache.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: As stated above, she's a bigger, fatter, ugly, bustier Robotnik in a dress with little girly eyelashes.
An artificial son created by Robotnik to inherit his empire, since the alternative, giving it to Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts, is unthinkable to him. Unfortunately for Robotnik, he turns rebel against him and goes to live with Robotnik's other rejects, where he develops a crush on Breezie.
- Abhorrent Admirer
- Boobs of Steel
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Her entire role in "Zoobotnik" consists of her manhandling Robotnik in what is blatantly sexual assault, including at one point jumping up and down on him in a way similar to dry humping. However, while she's not called on it, it's very clear that it is not okay and Robotnik is actually very afraid of her.
- Evil Versus Evil: Her against Mama Robotnik. Katella concedes because she refuses to have her for a mother-in-law.
- Fiery Redhead
- The Hunter: She kidnaps people from their home planets and sells them to zoos in other galaxies.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: She makes frequent winks towards the audience.
- Left the Background Music On: She carries around a portable record player with her own leitmotif.
- Ms. Fanservice: It's not clear if she's exactly a human, but she's definitely one of the most attractive characters on the show.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: Though it would help if she didn't beat up Robotnik every chance she got.
- Not Good with Rejection: Invoked when she coolly warns Robotnik that she "doesn't handle rejection well."
- Shotgun Wedding: Which she tries to pull on Robotnik before his mom shows up.
- The Vamp
- Yandere: A more subdued version. She will not take no for an answer.