"My name is Barry Allen, and I am the fastest man alive."When a character is acknowledged as being faster than everyone else. Super Speed is almost always a given. Compare World's Strongest Man for the strength equivalent, World's Best Warrior for combat in general, and Fastest Gun in the West for attack speed with guns.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Burter from Dragon Ball Z claimed to be this, but Goku quickly proved him wrong. Even at "equal" Power Levels Goku proved to be faster than Burter's leader Captain Ginyu(and then proceeded to prove he could raise his power level and presumably his speed along with it). In sequel series Dragon Ball GT Nuova Shenron proves to be even faster than Goku, even faster than Omega Shenron, which is what the otherwise already more powerful Syn Shenron had become after absorbing the powers of every other shadow dragon except Nuova. In the other sequel series, Dragon Ball Super, Whis from Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is considered the fastest being in the universe, and he was already pretty fast in the movie he debuted in.
- While she is not explicitly acknowledged as such in-universe, Fate Testarossa from the Lyrical Nanoha series is consistently shown to have the firmest grasp on Super Speed among all modern mages, to the point where, in Nanoha Force, she seems able to move faster than her opponent can Teleport Spam — and that's before activating her Super Mode.
- The Fourth Hokage from Naruto is considered to be the fastest person who ever lived, and that's without factoring in his Flying Thunder God technique. Following his death, this title would go to the Fourth Raikage and eventually to Naruto.
- In the Marvel Universe, the entity known as The Runner is a cosmic being that is the fastest creature in existence, capable of circling the entire universe and winding up back where he started before barely any time has passed. However, it's revealed that while he is naturally fast, his insane speed actually comes from a Plot Device Amplifier Artifact known as the Space Gem, which allowed him to traverse space in no time at all.
- A member of The Eternals known as Makkari is the fastest being in the Marvel universe, in terms of natural speed. In a cosmic race, he technically came in second to the "Buried Alien" (although he still proved superior in speed), and defeated other speedsters like the aforementioned Runner, Quicksilver, The Whizzer and Speed Demon.
- The Flash:
- All of the various Flashes have this reputation—especially the original Wally West, who is in later stories credited as having far surpassed all of his predecessors and any other speedster in the known DC Universe (although, since Bary Allan's revival under Geoff Johns' pen, he appears to be considered more or less equal Depending on the Writer). There is the occasional being, phenomenon, machine etc, that does prove faster than him(as seen below) but Wally has an ability to "steal speed", which lets him temporarily increase his own while slowing someone else down.
- Technically speaking, Wally's nemesis Hunter Zolomon (aka "Zoom") is faster than him, since Hunter manipulates time itself and thus can move himself or others through time on a scale even Wally can't keep up with.
- The limit of the Black Flash's speed isn't really known, but the Black Flash is one aspect of Death, and it's stated that he'll eventually catch every speedster. Wally West was able to outrun it by taking the speed of several other speedsters, and even then this only gave him superior acceleration as the Black Flash still gained on him, suggesting higher top speed - it just ran out of room, or time, to reach it.
- New Gods: The Black Racer is another aspect of Death, but in his case represents the death of gods. He has faced Wally West in battle, and outright boasted that he was the faster of the two.
- Equestria: Across the Multiverse: Princess Firefly of the 'Speed Equestria' universe is this, being the fastest being the alliance has ever encountered and Princess of Speed. At her top speed using a power called God Speed, she's capable of moving faster than light under her own power. Word of God suggests she's a genuine Speedster in a Flash sense. Second fastest is her sister Princess Wind Whistler, who's almost as fast, but has more finesse to balance out.
- In Touhou, the crow tengu Aya Shameimaru is considered the fastest sustained flier in all Gensokyo.
- In Pokémon The fastest Pokemon is Deoxys in its speed forme, with a base of 180 and maximum potential of 504.
- AlforceVeedramon Future Mode is the fastest Digimon but is slow when submerged in water, with Mercurymon(based on the Roman god) having the fastest land speed and Neptunemon(another Roman god) having the fastest water speed. Neptunemon in fact wears the same kind of armor that slows AlforceVeedramon down in water, meaning Neptunemon can shed it to swim even faster if necessary.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Most instruction booklets and official bios, refer to Sonic as some variantion of "world's fastest hedgehog". Jet also mentions Sonic's reputation for being "the fastest thing alive" in Sonic Riders, and Sonic says so himself in the 3DS version of Sonic Generations. Shadow and Metal Sonic are his only real rivals in terms of speed, both of whom rely on technology rather than natural running speed (hover shoes in the former's case and being entirely mechanical in the latter's) and can only move faster than him in short bursts.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Rainbow Dash is the only known pegasus who can fly fast enough to perform a Sonic Rainboom.
- Speedy Gonzales is the fastest mouse in all of Mexico. His cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez is the slowest mouse in all Mexico, but is "fast upstairs in the cabeza."
- The trope name comes from the Bragging Theme Tune for Sonic SatAM.
"Soonnnicc! He can really move. Sonnniccc! He's got an attitude. Soonnicc! 'He's the fastest thing alive!"
- Usain Bolt, who (as of 2016) currently holds the world record for the 100 meter dash, 9.58 seconds - just over 23 mph.
- Fastest non-human animals by their choice of track:
- The Peregrine Falcon is considered the fastest animal in the world, reaching speeds in its hunting dive of over 200 mph.
- In terms of land speed, that honor belongs to the cheetah, which can run 70 mph in short bursts.
- The black marlin is the world's fastest swimming animal with a top speed of 80 mph.
- In terms of proportions the tiger beetle is the fastest land species, running so fast it needs regular stops to get its bearings because it can't see where it's going while in motion.
- The current fastest production car is the Keating TKR, which can reach a top speed of 270 mph. The fastest car ever is the Thrust SSC, holder of the land speed record of 763 mph (faster than the speed of sound).
- The Japanese Megalev MLX01 is the fastest train in the world and can go 367 mph.
- The Helios 2 space probe is the fastest ever man made object, peaking at a speed of around 157,000 mph during a slingshot manoeuvre around the Sun.
- The SR-71 Blackbird is the fastest ever conventional aircraft with a reported speed record of Mach 3.5, around 2700 mph.
- The X-15 experimental spaceplane is the fastest ever manned atmospheric craft topping out at Mach 6.15, around 4700 mph.
- The fastest manned vehicle (relative to Earth) ever was the Apollo 10 spacecraft. This reached nearly 25,000 mph on it's mission. That's around Mach 32.
- This list has a collection of some of the fastest things in their respective categories.