Of nice mice that suffice for him or cream
But he free, maybe walks in thought unbowed, proud
Where loud his kin, lean and slim or deep in den
Feasted on beasts and tender men.
The giant lion with iron claw in paw
And huge ruthless tooth in gory jaw;
The pard dark-starred, fleet upon feet,
That oft soft from aloft leaps on his meat
Where woods loom in gloom
Far now they be, fierce and free, and tamed is he;
But fat cat on the mat kept as a pet he does not forget"
This is the purr-fectly cat-related trope index.
See also This Index Barks.
- All Witches Have Cats: Witches own cats and cats are associated with witches.
- Bakeneko and Nekomata: Two types of cat youkai
- Buffoonish Tomcat: A cat, usually a tomcat, who is a victim of slapstick.
- Canines Primary, Felines Secondary: A story where the cats are sort of the inferiors to the dogs, or a work with dogs as the main characters and cats as supporting characters.
- Cat Communication: A Useful Notes page on how cats communicate.
- Cat Concerto: One or more cats sing on the streets at night.
- Cat/Dog Dichotomy: Cats and dogs are compared to one another.
- Cat Folk: Humanoids that are sort of catlike.
- Cat Girl: A girl or a woman that is mostly human but has some cat parts.
- A Cat in a Gang of Dogs: A group of animals that consists of several dogs and a cat.
- Cat-like Dragons: Dragons are depicted with feline features or mannerisms.
- Cat Ninja: Ninjas and cats are associated with each other, often a cat who is a ninja.
- Cat Scare: Something is thought to be scary, but it's just something harmless (not necessarily a cat but often is).
- Cat Stereotype: A list of sterotypes about cats.
- Cats Are Lazy: Cats are lazy by nature.
- Cats Are Magic: Cats with magical powers.
- Cats Are Mean: All cats are evil or mean.
- Cats Are Snarkers: A snide cat.
- Cats Are Superior: Cats are seen as amazing but they're also arrogant.
- Cats Hate Water: All cats hate to get wet.
- Cats Have Nine Lives: Any reference to the expression that cats have nine lives.
- Cat Up a Tree: A cat is stuck up a tree.
- Convenient Decoy Cat: The good guy/s is/are chasing the bad guy/s and are distracted by a small animal (often a cat).
- Cool Cat: Cats are hip.
- Crazy Cat Lady: An eccentric or crazy woman who owns many cats.
- Cute Kitten: A kitten who's really adorable, and usually harmless.
- Faux Paw: A character pretends to be a cat and uses their fist as a fake paw.
- Female Feline, Male Mutt: A duo consisting of a female cat and a male dog.
- Fiery Lion: A lion with a fire motif.
- Fluffy Dry Cat: A furry animal (not always a cat but often is) gets wet, then dried, and their fur stands up and looks way longer.
- Hairball Humor: Sure, it's messy, but it's still funny.
- Heroic Canines, Villainous Felines: Dogs are good, cats are evil.
- High on Catnip: Catnip acts like a drug for cats.
- The Internet Is for Cats: People looking at animal memes (usually involving cats) on The Internet.
- Introverted Cat Person: An introverted and shy person who loves cats.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Someone who likes cats and is a Nice Guy, a Nice Girl, or if they're a villain, they'll be not all bad.
- King of Beasts: Lions are portrayed as royalty/leaders.
- Maneki Neko: The Japanese lucky waving cat.
- Mega Neko: A giant cat.
- Men Like Dogs, Women Like Cats: Female characters favor pet cats, while males prefer pet dogs.
- Nice Kitty...: Making Baby Talk to a scary animal (not necessarily a cat).
- Our Gryphons Are Different: A mythical half-lion half-eagle creature
- Our Manticores Are Spinier: A mythical creature with the body of a lion, the face of a human, and the ability to shoot venomous spikes.
- Panthera Awesome: Big cats are seen as awesome.
- Riddling Sphinx: A sphinx who asks a riddle.
- Right-Hand Cat (Not necessarily a cat, but often is.): A bad guy with a pet that doesn't do much.
- Schrödinger's Cat: A Useful Notes page for the thought experiment involving a cat who may or may not be dead until you open the box.
- Sexy Cat Person: Associating cats with sex.
- That Poor Cat: A cat's yowl is heard in the background after a crash.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: Dragons and tigers are against each other or used as opposing Animal Motifs.