Panthera Awesome in a white color variant.
There's something visually incredible about a large member of the cat family with white fur. Given white often represents purity and innocence, a feline creature with fur can be seen as majestic and divine. Often, these cats have a mystical origin to them.
Examples of this trope are usually white tigers but it is possible to have white lions. White lions and tigers also exist in real life as do snow leopards who have white-gray fur. Big white cats are also pretty rare in real life
This trope can also apply to characters who use a white panther Animal Motif.
The Great White Feline can be seen as a symbol of power, uniqueness, mysticism, magic, authority etc.
Given the frequency to associate such creatures in media with the supernatural, this trope could be seen as the big cat equivalent of Mystical White Hair.
Expect this trope to come up in the form of the White Tiger of the West when the Four Gods of Chinese Mythology are featured in a work.
Generally this trope applies to heroic characters but rare villain examples do exist.
- Bakugan: Tigrerra is a Haos attribute Bakugan and the Guardian of Runo Misaki. She is a large white tiger and gains a bipedal form when she evolves into Blade Tigrerra.
- Bleach: Grimmjow is one of the Espada, the most powerful of Arrancar Hollows. Before he became an Arrancar, he was a white, panther-like Adjuchas-class Menos and his One-Winged Angel form is a white, feline-esque appearance. While not a hero, Grimmjow is one of the more honorable villains in the series when it comes to battle and even aids the heroes in the final arc so he can have a rematch with Ichigo, his main rival.
- Bungo Stray Dogs: Atsushi's Ability, "Beast Beneath the Moonlight", allows him to become a massive white tiger with a Healing Factor. The tiger itself is usually depicted as a wild animal separate from Atsushi, and the transformations happen without his consent, which combined with his existing trauma makes him wary and frightened of the tiger. However, after Fukuzawa gives him control over his power, Atsushi begins to make amends with the beast.
- Digimon Adventure 02: Nefertimon is based on The Sphinx and has the body of a white lioness.
- Digimon Tamers: Baihumon is one of the five Digimon Sovereigns and is a large white tiger with blue stripes.
- A possible Ultimate form for Leomon is IceLeomon, who is basically Leomon but colored white instead of orange and with ice powers. Takuya fights an IceLeomon in Digimon Frontier while trapped in Sakkuyamon's Ice Sphere.
- Hayate the Combat Butler: Nagi has a pet white tiger named Tama. He is capable of standing on his hind legs and mimicking human voices.
- Byakko is based on the White Tiger of the West fitting with Hoshiyomi's four ninja underlings being based on the Four Symbols from Chinese mythology.
- Like Byakko, Jūra's design is based on the White Tiger of the West and is part of a team based on the Four Symbols. He has fangs, cat-like eyes and white-and-black striped hair.
- The eponymous character of Kimba the White Lion is a white lion and the King of Beasts. In Journey into Time he is bullied by other lions for having white fur.
- Ronin Warriors: White Blaze is a white tiger who serves as the Team Pet to the heroes. He is a thousand years old and used to travel with the Ancient One.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: After Tania is defeated by Jaden, she transforms into a white tiger which appears to be her true form.
- Black Panther: Bast, the patron god of the Panther cult, often appears as an enormous white panther (pictured above), though she may also appear as a white or black cat person.
- Invincible: Thokk aka Battle Beast is a lion-like alien with white fur. He is one of the most powerful beings in the comic, having nearly killed Invincible and fought Thragg for days before being killed by him.
- Red Sonja: Issue #50 of the original Dynamite run has Sonja accompanying an Egomaniac Hunter known as Lord Kinzara on a hunt for a mythical beast known as the Cloud Tiger which takes the form of a large, terrifying white tiger. Sonja convinces him to journey to the top of a mountain with just her and leave his hunting party behind. When they are confronted by the Cloud Tiger, it is revealed that Kinzara was the leader of the bandits who murdered Sonja's family and raped her when she was a child. Sonja has spent years tracking him down and used his obsession with hunting to lure him to his doom. Sonja leaves Kinzara to be killed by the Cloud Tiger and avenges her family.
- White Tiger:
- Hector Ayala is the original White Tiger, a superhero whose costumed alias was modeled after a white tiger. He gains his powers from the Jade Tiger amulet. The identity has been wielded by other characters, namely Kasper Cole, Angela del Toro and Ava Ayala, Hector's youngest sister.
- The Tiger God that resides within the Tiger Amulets has occasionally taken the form of a white tiger though it has also been depicted as green.
- The second White Tiger was an actual white Bengal tigress evolved into a woman of East Indian descent by the High Evolutionary. She was part of the short-lived Heroes for Hire revival in the 1990s.
- Bai Hu the White Tiger is one of the leaders of Heaven in Kylie Chan's Dark Heavens. He is characterized as a guy whose favorite things in life are (in no particular order) fighting, eating and screwing.
- A consistent motif in The White Tiger. In the book's Title Drop, Balram is compared to the titular animal because his intelligence and potential to rise above his station is as rare and valuable as the white tiger. When he visits a zoo and sees a white tiger in a cage; he sees himself in the animal and kills his boss, giving himself freedom.
- Kamen Rider Ryuki/Kamen Rider Dragon Knight: Kamen Rider Tiger and his American counterpart, Kamen Rider Axe, both have armor and Advent Beasts modeled after white tigers.
- Power Rangers and Super Sentai have featured Animal Mecha based on this.
- The White Tiger Thunderzord/Mythical Chi Beast Won Tiger from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers/Gosei Sentai Dairanger. It is piloted by The Leader in Power Rangers and the Sixth Ranger in the Sentai show. It has the ability to transform into a "Warrior Mode" and can combine with all the other mecha except the Red Ranger's.
- The White Tiger Wildzord/GaoTiger from Power Rangers Wild Force/Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger which is one of the main five Animal Mecha.
- The Mystic Lion/MagiLion from Power Rangers Mystic Force/Mahou Sentai Magiranger. It can combine with the Mystic Firebird/MagiFirebird to form the Manticore Megazord/Densetsu Gasshin MagiLegend and is created by the Green, Blue, Yellow and Pink Rangers fusing togther in their Super Mode.
- The TigerZord/Tora Origami from Power Rangers Samurai/Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. It is controlled by the Red Ranger and is part of a Mecha Expansion Pack.
- Cube Tiger from Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger.
- The Baihu (the "White Tiger of the West") of Chinese Mythology is the Trope Codifier for white tigers of importance or mysticism. It is one of the Four Symbols of the Chinese constellation alongside the Azure Dragon of the East, the Vermilion Bird of the South, the White Tiger of the West, and the Black Tortoise (also called "Black Warrior") of the North.
- Some African tribes such as the Zulu view white lions as divine messengers. There is an oral story about how white lions first appeared in the region now known as Timbaviti when it was ruled by Queen Numbi. According to the myth, shining star fell from the sky and consumed Queen Numbi in a strange light which restored her youth. The fallen star remained in that area for some days before rising back into the sky. Animals with strange deformities were born in that region including two-headed cattle, white impala and green-eyed white leopards and lions.
- Beast Wars: Tigatron's alt mode is a white tiger. He is much more in touch with his animal instincts than the other Maximals and is more at home in the wild than on the Axalon. He was also friends with a normal white tiger named Snowstalker who was killed during the conflict between the Maximals and Predacons.
- Beast Wars II: Lio Convoy is the leader of the Maximals and his alt mode is a white lion with a golden mane.
- Far Cry 4: Player Character Ajay Ghale experiences Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane visions of Kalinag, a famous ancient hero of Kyrat, exploring Shangri La whenever he picks up a mystic thangka painting. In his exploits, Kalinag befriends a majestic white tiger with golden armour who assists him in purging Shangri-La of the murderous Rakshasas who have taken it over.
- Marvel Future Fight: The game features a team of heroes called the Warriors of the Sky whose Animal Motifs are based on the Four Symbols. One of them is War Tiger, a large, muscular man from Thailand whose Sinister Scythe has a white tiger head decoration.
- Pokémon: Solgaleo is a Legendary Pokemon whose physical appearance is that of a white lion. It is one of the two final stages of Cosmog and is one of three Legendary Pokemon of Pokémon Sun and Moon.
- Red Dead Redemption 2: In Online mode, one of the Legendary animals that can be found is a pure white panther that roams the swamps near Lagras, called the Ghost Panther. It is very dangerous, and if killed, a coat can be made from its pelt.
- Shin Megami Tensei: Byakko/Bai Hu is a demon and Persona in the series, based on the White Tiger of the West from the Chinese Constellations.
- Warcraft III: The Night Elves ride panthers into battle, with the Priestess of the Moon Hero Unit riding a white-furred tiger.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has Dromarch, Nia's blade, who takes the appearance of a white tiger.
- El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera: Rodolfo's superhero persona is called "White Pantera", fitting the Rivera family's cat superhero motif while highlighting that he's the unambiguous hero of the family. He wears a white suit and a luchador mask with cat ears, as well as superpowered boots that give him incredible running speed and superpowered kicks and can make anybody who touches them tell the truth.
- Father of the Pride: The main family in the show is a family of rare white lions.
- Jackie Chan Adventures: The first season dealt with the 12 Talismans, a set of MacGuffins modeled after the Chinese zodiac, each granting a different power. The Tiger Talisman is modeled after a white tiger and has the power to split beings into their good and evil halves. When the talismans are destroyed in season 3, the energies inhabiting them are transferred into the animals they represent. The Tiger Talisman's power is absorbed by a circus white tiger named Sasha.
- Jana of the Jungle has a white jaguar named Ghost.
- ThunderCats (1985): Bengali is based on a white tiger. He is one of three new ThunderCats discovered in Season 2. His skills as a blacksmith prove useful when the Sword of Omens is broken again.
- Voltron: Legendary Defender: In the appropriately titled episode "The White Lion", Allura and Lotor venture into Oriande and meet a mysterious guardian spirit who takes the form of a white lion. Said creature tests them to see whether they are worthy of learning the secrets of Altean alchemy. It is implied to be the inspiration for the (multicolored) lions that form Voltron.