Sinji, literally means "Divine Land" (Vietnamese: Thần Địa), is the mysterious martial art sect that is behind many recent turmoils in the Murim. It is located near the Eastern Region, surrounded by two mountain belts, the first one protects its territory and the second one is smaller and protects its dwellings. The entrance to the first belt is hidden, which is one of the reasons why not many people know about its existence and exact location. The second belt main entrance is heavily guarded by an automated defense system and Sinji's warriors.
Sinji was founded 300 years ago when 8 clans, each specializes in a branch of martial art, gathered to discover new boundaries of martial art. However, their cooperation soon turned into rivalry and then all-out war. Each clan created a powerful artifact called Sacred Treasure to compete and find out which clan owned the most powerful treasure. Eventually, the Clan of Sword (or Geomjong) defeated the other clans and united Sinji under their banner around 100 years ago. Their leader, called Geomjon (it is a title, not the actual name, which is roughly translated to "Sword Supreme"), became the ruler of Sinji. Geomjon ordered the Treasures to be destroyed, only the Ma Ryong Sword remained because it was the heraldry of Sword Clan. They failed to destroy the Treasures and somehow let them loose in the Murim. The united Sinji then turned their eyes to Murim and intended to conquer it but was stopped by the masters of the Treasures, led by the master of Flame Dragon Blade, Po Mun Geol. Sinji has remained in the shadow ever since, constantly improving their skills and planning for the next invasion. They planted many spies in both Jongpa and Sapa, using wealth and power to lure many martial artists into their fold and stirring conflicts between Jongpa and Sapa. It is only a matter of time before Sinji commences their full invasion into Murim and turns the world into a sea of blood.
Sinji has a complete power structure, with the Geomjon as the supreme ruler. Below him are the Elders, leaders of the Clans that made up Sinji. Assisting the ruler in day-to-day operation are the Three Palaces: the Heavenly God Palace, the Earthly God Palace and the Brilliant God Palace, each headed by a master. Sinji's main military force are the 10 Thounsand Sword Brigades, each headed by a powerful swordman.
Sijin's martial arts are on a different level compared to the martial arts of Jongpa and Sapa, with many exotic and dangerous techniques exceeding human capacity. Their warriors are extremely powerful, even the foot soldier is on par with a competent Murim martial artist. The life of a Sinji warrior is short and violent, if they show no improvement in martial skills they will be discarded immediately.
- Big Bad: of the entire series.
- Enemy Civil War: Currently embroiled in one when Han Bi Kwang revealed himself as Dojong and caused many Sinji warriors to switch side.
- Invasion of the Baby Snatchers: They raided nearby villages and took the children back to Sinji to raise them as new warriors.
- Knight of Cerebus: Things never get ligh-hearted when Sinji is involved. Any arc involved Sinji's agents will end in massive casualties or some critical revealation.
- Nebulous Evil Organisation
- Shrouded in Myth
- Supernatural Martial Arts: They develope many exotic martial arts such as sound manipulation, body manipulation,...
- Take Over the World: Their ultimate goal.
- Tested on Humans: How they develope zombies and super-zombies.
- You Have Failed Me: Any minion who fails his task will be executed.
- World of Badass: Even the worst of Sinji's warrior could kick the ass of your average Jongpa/Sapa martial artist.
According to a pact between the legendary Flame Dragon Blade's master Po Mun Geol and the ruler of Sinji, anyone who posseses at least 4 out of 8 Treasures can gain entrance to Sinji.
Seven of eight Treasures have been revealed.
Ma Ryong Sword/Phục Ma Hoa Linh Kiếm
- Absurdly Sharp Blade
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Seriously, Flower Fairy Demon Conquering Sword
- Empathic Weapon
- Evil Weapon: which is quite ironic, considered its name.
- Flower Motifs: when its power is activated, numerous flower petals will appear.
- The Corrupter: When the user desires power, it will speak to him, promising great power if the owner let it take over their mind. If he agrees, it takes control and starts draining his life force. If the user is not its true master, it will drain him to death.
Flame Dragon Blade/Hỏa Long Đao
- Absurdly Sharp Blade
- Animal Motifs: the Dragon, of course. Its spirit takes the form a huge flame dragon.
- Elemental Powers: Fire.
- Empathic Weapon
- Kill It with Fire: When fully awakened, the blade can unleash its spirit into the world as a gigantic flame dragon called "Hellfire Dragon". It is capable of destroying a whole town with ease.
- Loyal Phlebotinum
Hyonmu Heavenly Bow/Huyền Vũ Phá Thiên Cung
- Bottomless Magazines: It requires no arrow to use and can shoot Ki arrows indefinitely, its limit is the user's Ki.
- Empathic Weapon: It really cares for its master Me Yujin, frequently talking with her and offering advices.
- Energy Weapon
- Loyal Phlebotinum: Doesn't allow anyone but Me Yuijin to touch it. Anyone who tries will be given a nasty lecture on how much they suck.
- Homing Projectile: It can shoot Ki arrows that follow the intended target.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Its full power.
Demon Face Armor/Bá Vương Quỷ Diện Giáp
- 24-Hour Armor: The proper way to use it power, it increases its user's Ki gradually if she keeps wearing it.
- Armor of Invincibility: The strongest armor, capable of blocking all kinds of attack except that of Ma Ryong Sword.
- Chainmail Bikini: Morphed into this after fully awakened.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite its sinister name and intimidating design, its power is rather beneficial to the user.
- Face Design Armor: its design resembles the face of a, well, demon.
Five Spears of Chu Heun/Truy Hồn Ngũ Tinh Giáo
- Blade on a Stick
- Empathic Weapon: It talked to Noho for the first time and promised to make him stronger, after hearing him lamenting his defeat.
- Homing Projectile
- Javelin Thrower: When awakened, it can be used as this, which is neat since it can return to the user.
- Shock and Awe: When fully awakened, it can call forth lightning to smite the enemies.
Gwe Myeong Sword/Quỷ Vọng Kiếm
- Attack Reflector: Its most dangerous ability, with an unexpected downside: when it deflects the energy back to the attacker, it also receives a pressure equal to the attack (similar to Newton's Third Law of Motion). If the user is strong enough to absorb the pressure, then Gwe Myeong Sword can neutralize it. If the pressure received exceeds the user's capacity, then he will take the full pressure and disintegrate. This is how Han Bi Kwang defeated Jadam, by engaging in a How Much More Can He Take? battle, he forced Jadam to exceed his limit and crumble to dust.
- Elemental Powers: Sound.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Upon impact, it generates sound waves to disorient the enemies, the user is immune to its effect. The stronger the attack, the louder the sound waves it produces, which means to deter the enemies from making powerful attacks.
Divine Crystal Staff/Hàn Ngọc Thần Trượng
Han Sang Wu/Hàn Tương Hựu
Han Sang Wu made a deal with Jaha Masin, the true ruler of Sinji: Jaha Masin would heal his wife and in exchange he gave his body to Jaha Masin to inhabit. His actions in the series so far are Jaha Masin's.
Tropes associated with Han Sang Wu
- Always Save the Girl: It really runs in the family.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: He immediately surrendered and let his enemies humiliated him after his wife and son were captured.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: His techniques which earned him the epithet "Sword Demon". Anyone who learned it will develope a violent and bloodthirsty Superpowered Evil Side.
- Deal with the Devil: He made a deal with Jaha Masin: Jaha Masin would save his wife and in exchange he gave him his body as vessel for his soul.
- Despair Event Horizon: When his wife Hui Yeon died for real, he lost it and surrendered his body to Jaha Masin.
- Enemy Within: He is one for Jaha Masin, constantly holding him back so he couldn't enter Murim. If not for Han Sang Wu's effort, Jaha Masin would have stomped the Murim flat years ago.
- Like Father, Like Son: Han Bi Kwang bears striking resemblance to his father in both appearance, ability and personality.
- Love Makes You Dumb: His wife is mortally wounded, instead of accepting the reality and moving on, he's willing to forsake his own life so that his wife might have a chance to live. Han Bi Kwang inherited this trait.
- Master Swordsman: The best swordsman in the world.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After his wife was mortally wounded, he went on a rampage in the Murim and was only stopped when the Five Greats gathered to fight him.
- Split-Personality Takeover: Jaha Masin finally wins and takes full control of his body.
- World's Strongest Man: The most powerful martial artist in the world. It took the combined effort of the Five Greats to defeat him, and they only managed to relieve him of his weapon, the Ma Ryong Sword.
Jaha Masin/Từ Hà Ma Thần
He invented Jaha Singong, the notorious martial art that sets in motion the Ho Hyub Gok arc. He is also the former master of Ma Ryong Sword.
Tropes associated with Jaha Masin
- Berserk Button: Don't mention Po Mun Geol around him.
- Bigger Bad: Possibly for the whole series.
- Body Surf: How he gained his power. By changing host over time, he gathered enough knowledge and power to become the ruler of Sinji. In fact, the rulers of Sinji for the last several hundred years were him all along.
- Crazy-Prepared: He secretly trained a cadre of warriors, modified their appearance to match those of Sinji elders, ordered them to learned the mannerisms of the Elders for more than 10 years. He even boosted their powers to match the skills of the elders, so that when the time comes he would get rid of the Elders and replaced them with his men.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The result of most of his fights.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Jaha Singong. Its principle is the total opposite of orthodox martial arts and requires the user to discard all trace of humanity to learn. Even then it's extremely perilous to train, one mistake could badly maimed the user or outright killed him. Jaha Masin was well aware of this drawback, so he sought a way to have an immortal body. He succeeded.
- Energy Absorption: He can suck out others' Ki to increase his own. He killed the Elders of Sinji to absorb their power.
- Kick the Dog: When Han Bi Kwang is shocked by the death of his mother and called out his father, Jaha Masin emerged and proceeded to beat the hell out of him.
- Ki Manipulation
- Lack of Empathy
- Omnicidal Maniac: His ultimate goal is not taking over the world, but destroying it.
- Pet the Dog: He spared Hyol Roe's life after his failure to retrieve Ma Ryong Sword and Flaming Dragon Blade, only slashed his face and told him to never lose again.
- Storm of Blades
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He gave one to Ja Seom Pung, calmly telling him that a dog is always a dog and he shoulg give up rising above his station.
- World's Strongest Man: Undoubtedly. He did have a huge advantage in several hundred years worth of experience compared to the rest of the cast.
- Would Hit a Girl: As poor Me Yujin and Dam Hwa Rin found out.
Sa Eumin/Tạ Âm Mẫn
Tropes associated with Sa Eumin
- The Dragon: Became That Person's right hand man after That Person slaughtered the Elders.
- Evil vs. Evil: His rivalry with Zhong Li.
- Hero Killer: Killed the previous Saisung and nearly killed Noho.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: That Person suspected that Sa Eumin has planned the return of Eight Sacred Treasures to Sinji for unknown purpose.
- I Surrender, Suckers: The previous Saisung defeated him and offered him a chance to flee, he pretended to leave only to strike her in the back instead.
- Kick the Dog: Constanly mocking Noho about his defeat at Sa Eunmin's hand and the death of the previous Saisung.
- Master Swordsman: One of the few who can use Ma Ryong Sword to its full power. Of course he has to be careful or Ma Ryong Sword will suck him dry just like anyone.
- Out-Gambitted: He sent one of his men to Earthly God Palace to spy on Zhong Li. Zhong Li figured it out and fed the mole false informations to screw with Sa Eumin.
- Worthy Opponent: Considered Jin Pung Baek this after their fight.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Engaged in one with Zhong Li, both vying for That Person's favour. Zhong Li seemed to get the upper hand until he got killed by Han Bi Kwang.
Zhong Li/Tống Lợi
Tropes associated with Zhong Li
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Asshole Victim: Nobody shed a tear when the geezer bought it.
- Bad Boss: He's willing to bury alive his underlings for failing to meet his expectation.
- Evil Old Folks
- From Nobody to Nightmare: According to Sa Eumin, he was a lowly servant in Sinji but managed to become the master of Earthly God Palace.
- I Lied: He promised to spare whoever survive the decimation of the Executor's team, then killed him anyway since it's his goal to get rid of the Executor's team all along.
- Lack of Empathy
- Laser-Guided Karma: Killed by the man he tried so hard to eliminate.
- Oh, Crap!: His reaction when Han Bi Kwang got the Heroic Second Wind and about to blast him to oblivion.
- Social Darwinist: He believed power means everthing and the weak should be disposed of.
- Stronger Than They Look: Looks like a frail old man, but actually one of the strongest fighters of Sinji.
Tropes associated with Shin-Gong
- Crazy-Prepared: He predicts that someone will try to smash Soul Machines Formation to pieces instead of passing it, so he adds self-repair mechanism into the machines.
- FaceHeel Turn: Joined Sinji after witnessing Sword Demon's power
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Turns out he did have formiddable inner energy.
- Mad Scientist: Create Zombie and Super-Zombie to act as Sinji's foot soldier
- Gadgeteer Genius: Can build an automated defense system with mechanized claws and guns in the goddamn middle age.
- Meaningful Name: His moniker means "God of Engineering".
- The Resenter: His main reason for switching side. He was unable to learn martial art properly and had to rely on machine to fight. He envies the skills and successes of his peers like Sword Emperor who, in his words, are two powerful to feel his pain. Sword Demon showed him the incredible power of Sinji's martial art and he's willing to die for that.
- Unstoppable Rage: Lost his shit when his prized Soul Machines Formation got burned to ashes by Han Bi Kwang's Hellfire Dragon.
- We Used to Be Friends: with Guege and Sword Emperor.
- Crimson Moon Brigade, commander: Jung Seung Cheon.
- Eternal Quake Brigade, commander: Beon Chal.
- Jungle Beast Brigade, commander: Gi Baek Ki.
- Bloody Iron Brigade, commander: Im Cheol Geon.
- Ethereal Soul Brigade, commander: Ra Su Yeon.
- Unknown brigade, commander: Yun Sang Geo.
Tropes associated with Thousand Swords Brigades
- Animal Motifs: Gi Baek Ki is tiger, Beon Chal is eagle, Ra Su Yeon is fox.
- Badass Army: The backbone of Sinji's power.
- Big Brother Instinct: Im Cheol Geon towards his brother Im Dae Gon. Knowing that his brother is too weak according to Sinji's standard and will be disposed of, he promoted Im Dae Gon to squad leader and assigned him to support mission so he won't be endangered. it wasn't enough to save his life.
- The Brute: Beon Chal.
- Dark Action Girl: Ra Su Yeon.
- Dumb Muscle: Beon Chal. Running headfirst into battle and immediately fell into Hwanjong's Chaotic Formation.
- Enemy Civil War: Im Cheol Geon and Bloody Iron Brigade joined Han Bi Kwang's side.
- HeelFace Turn: Im Cheol Geon betrayed Sinji and joined Han Bi Kwang's side.
- Large Ham: Im Dae Gon.
- Master Swordsman: All of them.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ra Su Yeon.
- Nightmare Face: Yun Sang Geo when he's pissed off.
- Red Baron: The Master Swordsmen of Sinji tend to have cool epithets like "Quake Sword", "Valiant Tiger", "Blood Ghost", etc.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Im Cheol Geon after Sa Eumin killed his brother. Too bad his opponent is way over his league.
- Whip Sword: Im Cheol Geon's weapon.
Seven clans have been revealed.
- The Clan of Blade (Dojong), specialy: Bladesmanship. Heraldry: Flaming Dragon Blade.
- The Clan of Sword (Geomjong), specialty: Swordsmanship. Heraldry: Ma Ryong Sword. They united Sinji and forbade the use of other weapons.
- The Clan of Bow (Gungjong), specialty: Archery. Heraldry: Hyonmu Heavenly Bow.
- The Clan of Spear (Chongjong), specialty: Spear techniques. Heraldry: Five Spears of Chu Heun.
- The Clan of Illusion (Hwanjong), specialty: Ki manipulation. Heraldry: Unknown, possibly the Demon Face Armor.
- The Clan of Sound (Tonjong), specialty: Sound manipulation. Heraldry: Gwe Myeong Sword.
- The Clan of Form (Mojong), specialty: Body manipulation. Heraldry: Unknown, possibly the Divine Crystal Staff.
Tropes associated with Eight Clan of Sinji
- Asskicking Equals Authority: The Elders are the most powerful fighters of their respective clans.
- Defector from Decadence: Hwanjon turned against That Person, arranged for Baek Gang to rescue Han Bi Kwang then confronted That Person himself to get rid of his toxic influence on Sinji. Sadly, he failed to comprehend just how monstrously powerful Jaha Masin is and was killed.
- Enemy Civil War: They fought a war centuries ago, creating the Eight Treasures to compete with each other. Geomjong eventually triumphed over the rest and united Sinji.
- Healing Factor: The Elder of Mojong, Seung Yeong can heal shattered bones and muscles in mere seconds.
- Ki Manipulation: Any powerful martial artist can do this, but Hwanjon takes the cake.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Seung Yeong prefers to use his fists in combat. He even crushes his sword to fight Baek Gang bare-handed.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Tonjong's specialty.
- Master of Illusion: Hwanjong is a clan full of these. They can create images of landscape or even whole army to mess with the enemies.
- Mind Manipulation: Sim Seo Lo can create melody that mesmerizes his opponents.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: The Clans have long suspected that something is wrong with That Person, but still followed his orders out of loyalty. After Han Bi Kwang revealed himself as Dojon, the Clans decided to watch how things played out before taking actions. As of now, Hwanjong and Gungjong has left Sinji and joined Han Bi Kwang's side.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: They let Jaha Masin stay in Sinji and learn their arts. It bites them on their butts hard.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: Their martial arts are on a totally different level compared to Murim's, with exotic ability such as body manipulation, sound manipulation, etc.
- Xenophone: The Elder of Tonjong, Sim Seo Lo can play his sword like a flute.
- Would Hit a Girl: The Elders of Gungjong and Chongjong were willing to tag-team Dam Hwa Rin since they recognized her ability.
Ja Seom Pung/Gia Sơn Phong
Tropes associated with Ja Seom Pung
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Burning Soul Technique. It drastically increases the power of the user but causes the blood to rush to his brain and destroy his mind.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Got chopped to bits by Yu Se Ha.
- I Just Want to Be Special: He really wants to become That Person's successor and was horrified that That Person would accept someone outside of Sinji as his successor.
- This Cannot Be!: Said this when Yu Se Ha used That Person's techniques and utilized the full power of Ma Ryong Sword.
- Master Swordsman
- Oh, Crap!: When he realized Yu Se Ha was about to sliced him in half.
- Small Name, Big Ego: In Sinji, he's nothing special but he dreams to surpass That Person become his successor.
- Sweat Drop: Get one when Han Bi Kwang pathetically begged for his life.
- Sword Beam: Demon Energy Sword.
Hyol Roe/Huyết Lôi
Tropes associated with Hyol Roe
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- BFS: His trusty blade, which is as big as a man.
- Conflicting Loyalty: His loyalty to Sinji and to his clan Dojong. The latter ultimately wins: when Han Bi Kwang reveals that he is Dojon and therefore the leader of Dojong, Hyol Roe eventually joins him.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The guy fought Dam Hwa Rin, Han Bi Kwang, Jin Phe Wun and Le Hwa, the last three at the same time, and beat them all without a scratch. He only lost when Kwang awakened the Flame Dragon Blade.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He refused to support That Person's more reviled acts and supported Han Bi Kwang instead.
- HeelFace Turn: He joined Han Bi Kwang's side after he is revealed to be Dojon.
- Killing Intent: He emits aura so intimidating Jin Phe Wun and Han Bi Kwang freeze in terror.
- Master Bladesman: He is so good at bladesmanship That Person allows him to keep his original weapon.
- Noble Demon: He serves a villainous organization but still a honorable warrior that follows proper martial art traditions.
- Super Strength
- Would Hit a Girl: Dam Hwa Rin and Le Hwa found out the hard way.
Tropes associated with Jadam
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivered a brutal one to Noho.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: his weapon the Gwe Myong Sword.
- Master Swordsman
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He acts as the escort group bumbling Naïve Newcomer while in fact he is an elite Sinji warrior. His facade is so good even Han Bi Kwang failed to realize his true color until it's too late.