open/close all folders
Atsushi Ren / Nero
An unlucky 13-year-old boy who ends up in Hell after an unfortunate fall from the school roof. Under Lord Devil's guidance, Ren is competing in the Hell Tournament in order to get home.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Ren starts yelling this at Quartz when Quartz is taunting him.
- Driven to Suicide: Averted in that him falling from the school roof was purely accidental, but it looks this way to everyone else.
- Fish out of Water: Due to being a human Trapped in Another World full of demons and other creatures.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Blonde, and genuinely a pretty nice person.
- Head Desk: Ren begins banging his head on the wall in Chapter 6 out of anxiety and frustration at participating in his first major fight.
- In-Series Nickname: Has to be called Nero because names are extensions of the soul. If he uses his real name, he might get stuck in Hell or fall prey to a demon.
- He also gets called the Forfeit King due to immediately forfeiting many matches when the tournament begins.
- It Gets Easier: He seems to be going down this path, considering it's implied that he's been very aggro about attacking the other competitors after killing Quartz.
- Ordinary Middle School Student
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Sorian's red. Oddly enough, many of his signature items (the Hell Kitchen backpack, his weapons) are red.
- There's No Place Like Home: Wants more than anything to get back home.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: Ren is only shown in his school uniform.
A girl Ren meets at the beginning of his journey, Sorian decides to help and mentor Ren to repay him for saving her.
- Action Girl: In spades.
- Badass in Distress: When Ren first comes across her, she's stuck hanging upside-down, ensnared by some sort of tree trap.
- Calling Your Attacks: She likes to do this."Sorian bomb!"
- Death Glare: She's great at looking threatening when she wants to.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She wears bandages on her feet but nothing else.
- Hair Decorations: Has blue cone-shaped decorations on her pigtails.
- Handicapped Badass: Downplayed, as at Chapter 35. Even with a broken arm and no seel manipulation, she's still punching through waves of beasts.
- Ki Attacks: Her clan specializes in the manipulation of seel in combat, so naturally she has this ability.
- Proud Warrior Race Girl: Trying to prove the Pafhelo clan is the strongest in Hell.
- Red Baron: Gets called Sorian the Ripper for her ruthlessness during the tournament.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Ren's blue. Oddly enough, she wears a lot of blue.
- Sarashi: Has bandages around her midriff up to her chest. She also binds her arms, legs and neck.
- Twin Tails
The lord of Hell and the first person Ren meets after he dies. Lord Devil promises to grant Ren's wish to go home if he wins Hell Tournament.
- Affably Evil / Faux Affably Evil: It's hard to tell which of the two he is. On the one hand, he's full of cheer, and despite being one of the highest authorities in Hell, he often comes across as a goofball. On the other hand, he turns out to be at the very least involved in Ren's abduction, lied to him about being dead, and when Ren works it all out and gets rebellious, proceeds to Mind Rape him to keep him in line.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a vertical scar under his left eye.
- Horned Humanoid
- Large and in Charge: He's easily twice the height of many characters.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: He abandons his post during the Grand Folds so he can talk to Ren. How does he avoid being noticed? By wearing a hooded jacket and sunglasses. Both Ramia and Ren recognize him immediately.
- Perpetual Smiler: Always wears a quiet, pleasant smile.
- Pointy Ears
- Rapunzel Hair: His hair reaches his stomach.
Lord Devil's assistant.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Sure, Lord Devil is the lord of Hell for a good reason, but Ramia often has to deal with his off-the-wall and seemingly random decisions, as well as his casual handling of serious situations.
- Hime Cut
- Horned Humanoid
- Pointy Ears
- Power Floats: Always hovers a few inches off the floor.
Hell Tournament Competitors
A rock demon and a competitor in the Hell Tournament, one half of Team Sal-Eim.
- Ax-Crazy: Absolutely slaughters the group that was tailing him and Ren, and watches Saffron's fight against Sorian with a grin.
- Bait the Dog: He's introduced as a suspiciously pleasant demon, who saves Ren from falling to his death. His pleasantness quickly dissipates when the two meet the pack of demons hunting Ren, and he kills all but one for ignoring him. He then attempts to goad Ren into killing the last, at which point it's revealed that he only teamed up with Ren to work out his capabilities for the upcoming tournament.
- Berserk Button: Don't ignore him.
- Body to Jewel / Gemstone Assault: Encases his arms in crystal during his battle with Ren.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Uses rock/crystal powers in combat.
- Dumb Muscle / Leeroy Jenkins: Oh so subverted, though he's good at playing the role. He fakes a care free, devil may care attitude when he first meets Ren, but he actually engineered their meeting so as to get some knowledge on his upcoming competitors. During their fight, he gives off an overbearing arrogance to taunt Ren, but Ren quickly realises that he's trying to get him to make the first move in their fight and do something stupid. When Ren tries to taunt him back, he refuses to take the bait, and eventually tries to box in and crush Ren with his rock powers from a safe distance. If it hadn't been for the Hell's Kitchen, and a sliver of an opportunity for Ren, he would have won their fight and lived.
- Horned Humanoid: He has quartz horns.
- Off with His Head!
- Pet the Dog: Subverted with Ren, who he saves only in an effort to work out his and S Orian's weaknesses. Played straight with Saffron, who regards him as his Only Friend, and he certainly seems fond of the blood demon himself.
- Pointy Ears
- Significant Name: Quartz is a rock demon.
- There's No Kill Like Overkill: Terraforms the entire fighting arena in an attempt to kill Ren.
A blood demon and a competitor in the Hell Tournament, he makes up the other half of Team Sal-Eim.
- Berserk Button: Don't call him Saff if you're not his friend.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He comes across as a total softie at first, given that he needed Sorian's help in getting down from a rock cliff. But Sorian never once underestimates him due to his nature as a blood demon, and during her fight against him, attempts to straight up kill him to avert the potential threat he poses to Ren, at which point he starts fighting back and giving as good as she gives. After Quartz's passing, he gives Ramia an unbelievably hard time in subduing him.
- Bloody Murder: Can manipulate his blood into Combat Tentacles in battle.
- Cheerful Child
- Curb-Stomp Battle: On the receiving end, courtesy of Sorian. At least, until he starts using his blood demon powers...
- Hiddendepths: He's actually an outcast of his own kind, and Quartz, a rock demon, took him in as a child, and practically raised him as a brother. Hence why the two are as thick as thieves.
- In-Series Nickname: Quartz calls him Saff.
- Secret Keeper: He ends up being one of the few people in the know of Ren actually being a human.
A forest demon and a competitor in Hell Tournament.
Another competitor in Hell Tournament.
- Animal Motifs: Spiders.
Another competitor in Hell Tournament, who gives Sorian a hard time.
A representative of the Neutral Council and the one who commentates the Hell Tournament matches.
- One-Way Visor: Wears an electronic looking one, which displays different things depending on his mood (like an exclamation point when he's surprised).
Sorian's older sister, who saves her during her match with Gato.
- BFS: Wields an impressive sword that's almost half her height.
- Hair Decorations: Similar to Sorian's pigtail cones, she wears two triangular hair pieces that resemble jackal ears.
- In a Single Bound: Able to exit the arena through a hole in the ceiling by leaping upwards.
- Ki Attacks: As expected of one from the Pafhelo Clan.
- Sarashi: Like Sorian.
- Statuesque Stunner: Sorian hardly reaches her waist!
Ren's delinquent classmate and the first friend he's made since he transferred schools. Not much is known about Yuu since he hasn't appeared outside of the first chapter.
- Punny Name: Endou Yuu, as in, "end of you." Yuu is the last person Ren sees before he ends up in Hell.