Sophia Lilbette / Candel Aubra
- Alone with the Psycho: Happens to her during her little "makeover" with Nutty Jimmy. Then later in the story she unknowingly rides in a carriage with the Meowsician, of all people, after he "saves" her from some dolls. And then it happens again when she ends up all alone with Darkchovi, who has revealed himself to be the real "Sophia" murderer, in the opera prop room. No wonder the poor girl is so traumatized....
- Berserk Button: We advise against calling her Pixie...
- Clear My Name: Kind of the premise of the story.
- Cowardly Lion: Described as being afraid of everything, but she's managed to survive Decembersville so far.
- Face Your Fears: Her time in Decembersville seems to be a long, drawn-out series of this.
- Fear of Thunder
- Improbable Weapon User: A flashlight given to her by Darkslaw at the beginning of the story
- In-Series Nickname: "Pixie."
- Morality Pet: Becomes one to Mellon, eventually
- Non-Action Girl
- Unlikely Hero: Prepubescent? Terrified of nearly everything? No special talents or abilities to speak of? Ladies and gentlemen, introducing our protagonist...
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Sophia.
- Blessed with Suck / Cursed with Awesome: His ax hands.
- Eye Scream: It's only mentioned once or twice, but apparently the brutal beating he got from Chimabell actually caved in his right eye
- Fake Kill Scare: It looks like Melloni kills him at the end of chapter 41. As it turns out three chapters later, not so much.
- In-Series Nickname: Is called "Z" by Mellon
- Nice Guy: One of the sweetest and most considerate members of the cast. Although that might be changing soon, since he's recently discovered jealousy for the first time...
- Non-Action Guy: So far.
- Only Sane Man
- Catchphrase: "Zohmygod!" and "And you are?" The latter being what he asks whenever someone has to slap him him back to his senses (which is often)
- Cowardly Lion
- Dark and Troubled Past: He was sent to the Chopping Place (Decembersville's local Hell Hole Prison) and several members of his family were murdered.
- Dogged Nice Guy: For Campara Von Pyre.
- Drunk with Power: Played for laughs when he takes advantage of Mellon's canine instincts to taunt him with a juggling ball.
- In-Series Nickname: Mellon calls him "Clock"
- Lovable Coward
- Nervous Wreck
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Mellon
- Becoming the Mask: Originally, he was helping Sophia and co. so that he could sell Sophia to his gang's boss to save his ex. fiance, but over time he actually began to care.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Emmyli's Cain
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Love Makes You Evil: In a way. The reason he was going to sell out Sophia was only so he could free his ex-fiance Sasha from his step-brother/boss.
- The Mole: Thankfully, he makes a HeelFace Turn, and it doesn't stick.
- My Instincts Are Showing: Played for laughs when he finds himself unable to resist spherical objects
- Neighbourhood-Friendly Gangsters: For a mafia man, Melloni is surprisingly good with kids.
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Papa Wolf: It is his desire to protect Sophia that eventually pushes him to challenge Emmyli. He also dives into a freezing lake to rescue her while already badly injured.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Tin
Darkslaw / Tammy
- And I Must Scream: Being turned into a doll is a terrible fate to begin with. But since Chimabell didn't fully change Darkslaw, he still retains his ability to think and feel as he is forced to do terrible deeds for the very people responsible for his condition. Up to and including being forced to hunt down the same little girl he sacrificed himself for in the first place
- Heroic Sacrifice: Darkslaw was captured and turned into a doll after saving Sophia from the Von Pyres initial assault
- Hidden Depths: At first he just seems like your typical teenager pestering a little kid and telling her scary stories. Then he saves Sophia's life and we learn his backstory.
- Silent Snarker: Tammy, occasionally. One notable instance being when Chimabell tells him to take notes during one of his rants, but when he looks at the paper the only thing present is a doodle of Chima hung from a tree with a smiling Tammy nearby
Count Merry-Go Round
- Beware the Nice Ones: A kind and sensitive person who wouldn't dream of hurting anyone, and even saves Sophia and Zero twice (albeit, not knowing who the former really was). But he shows no mercy to humans, even if they're just a little girl.
- Love Makes You Crazy / Love Makes You Evil: He's actually quite nice until he decides he has to murder a small child to avenge his wife.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Only after seemingly killing Sophia does he realize just how far he's fallen
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Real Men Wear Pink: Gardens in a flowery pink apron and sun hat.
- Villainous Breakdown: When he comes home after finally (he thinks) killing Sophia to find that he had destroyed his rose garden in his rage, and his best friend and wife's spirit are both seemingly ignoring him out of shame. He starts to break down completely, begging them all for for forgiveness and eventually starting to hallucinate his wife's spirit
- Would Hurt a Child: Besides his hunting Sophia, he was also perfectly happy to toss around the Howler kids when he realized they were helping her.
Chimabell Von Pyre
- The Alcoholic: In his own words, he "drinks like a sailor~ <3"
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Bella and Campara, so very, very much.
- Beneath the Mask: The glimpses we've caught into his psyche have been...troubling.
- Bi the Way: Via Word of God.
- Butt-Monkey: To his siblings. Actually, to most of the world on a whole, on second thought.
- Break the Cutie: His whole life. Literally, his whole entire life.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Constantly.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Companion Cube: Barbra the Anteater again.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Love: More accurately, he refuses to even consider it as a factor, since he was taught by his mother that "freaks can't feel," and he just so happens to be a freak.
- Faux Affably Evil: For the first two seconds, he seems like a pretty fun guy. Then he starts talking about wildly inappropriate/disturbing topics, but the smile doesn't drop from his face. And God help you if you make him mad...
- Jade-Colored Glasses: It was a slow and painful process, too.
- Large Ham
- Laughably Evil: Be all his sins remembered, Chimabell can be genuinely hilarious at times.
- Love Is Scary: He has a deeply suppressed desire to be loved and wanted. So deeply suppressed, in fact, that it leads into...
- Love Hurts: Literally. Contact with loving feelings can make him sick and put him in enough pain to make him pass out. Not that letting his hatred build up inside him is doing him any favors, either.
- Mayor Pain: Somehow manages to combine both archtypes.
- Mommy Issues: Felicity Von Pyre apparently favored Chima over his siblings for the first few years of his life, because he was the only "normal" one out of the bunch. But when his bell-ears grew in, she became just as cold and cruel to him as she was to the other two, which was understandably jarring for the kid, considering he was about seven at the time. Basically his entire world-view was warped because of this.
- Older Than They Look: He's actually thirty-three, appearances and mannerisms aside.
- One-Winged Angel: Can take the form of a monstrous, smoky vulture (Which still has his top hat and bell ears)
- Parental Abandonment: Not that he remembers anything about his biological parents, as he was about two months old at the time.
- Pet the Dog: His decision to spare Tin's life could be seen as an extremely twisted version of this, since he had been ordered by the Meowsician to kill him but ended up "only" torturing him and subjecting his parents and a few of his little sisters to a Fate Worse than Death. Ditto for his refusal to fully transform Darkslaw/Tammy
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Shrinking Violet: Or he was, anyway...
- Stepford Smiler: Type A.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Would Hurt a Child: Is more or less leading the attempt to capture and/or kill Sophia. And then there's what he did to Zero and Darkslaw....
- 0% Approval Rating: Coming up on this fast among his citizens, if he's not there already.
"Meowsician" / Andante
- Bad Boss: He stabbed Chimabell through the chest just to prove a point, if that's any indicator.
- Big Bad
- Camp Gay: Especially in "disguise mode."
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: As "Stevan"
- The Chessmaster: He's been pulling the strings of all of Decembersville for a while now.
- Evil Albino
- Evil Brit
- Fan Nickname: "Meowsy" and "Meow-Mix" are popular.
- In Your Nature to Destroy Yourselves: Gives Sophia this talk.
- Laughably Evil: He's normally pretty serious, but when he shows up in disguise to manipulate the heroes personally he becomes much more eccentric and flamboyant
- Light Is Not Good
- Love Makes You Evil: Mother of God, does it ever...
- The Catman Behind the Von Pyres
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mysterious Employer: At first, anyway.
- Punny Name
- Slasher Smile
- Stepford Smiler: Type C, with possibly a leetle bit of Type A thrown in there.
- Talkative Loon: As part of his disguise, when he first meets Zero, Tin, and Mellon alone he rambles on about how cute they apparently are, parfait parties, bake sales, and pink aprons among other things
- Yandere: for Count Merry. His entire plan is basically to just eliminate anyone, everyone, and anything that stands or has the potential to stand between him and his "master."
Bella Von Pyre
- Bi the Way: Not mentioned in universe, but Word of God says he is.
- Big Brother Bully: He can usually be found either punching or attempting to throttle Chimabell.
- Big Brother Instinct: It's starting to show through a bit in later chapters. Also, Word of God is that when him and his siblings were younger he would take the brunt of the beatings their mother would dole out to protect Campara and Chimabell. And he "murdered" their mother when she tried to shoot Chima.
- Crossdresser: First time it's shown is because he lost a bet, but it's also mentioned in other artist's comments that he does it to relieve stress. The author also recently stated on her tumblr that he's always been into more "feminine" things ever since he was a little boy, he's just never told anyone about it.
- The Cynic
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Dope Slap: Purveyor of these.
- Gender-Blender Name: Bella is, in fact, a man. His long hair isn't helping his case. (Nor is his affinity for crossdressing.)
- In-Series Nickname: "Bella-Wella," courtesy of his darling brother Chima.
- Jerkass Woobie: Not to the extent of his brother on either count, but he most definitely qualifies.
- Parental Abandonment: The trio's real parents didn't have enough money to properly take care of them, so they left them with their employer, Felicity Von Pyre, hoping to give them a better life, on the condition that they leave and never try to interact with them again. Bella's the only one who remembers them (he was seven when they left) but they made him swear never to mention it to his siblings, so he kept his mouth shut and did his best to shield the younger two from the women they'd been dumped with.
- Promotion to Parent: Apparently, he was more of a mother to his little siblings than the actual woman was.
- Self-Made Orphan: Pushed his mother out a window.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: He's definitely got the most abrasive personality of his siblings, but when you take into consideration what the poor bastard's life must have been like...
Campara Von Pyre
- Accidental Kidnapping: Victim of such.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Inverted. She starts out sophisticated and put together, but she gets scruffier as time goes on.
- Big Sister Instinct: There is a moment where she briefly throws away her pride and outright pleads with her captors to be let go.... Because she sensed that Chimabell was in a lot of pain and wanted to help her little brother.
- Bi the Way: Word of God, just like her brothers.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Easily Forgiven: Played around with some, Tin holds no grudge against her despite her role in his prior imprisonment, and Sophia and Zero both warm up to her as well. However, Mellon is still rather grumpy with her and the rest of the rebels make it quite clear that she has a very long way to go before they'll consider her redeemed
- HeelFace Turn
- Hope Is Scary: There's a part of her that really wants to, but life experiences have made her a little leery towards the concept.
- In-Series Nickname: Chima calls her "Campy."
- Middle Child Syndrome: A meta-example, interestingly enough. Both Bella and Chima have fairly large followings, but poor Campara tends to get left out in cold by the fans.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Gets a big moment of this when the rebels call her out for all the pain that's been caused by her and her siblings. Especially when she learns that Tin is the sun conjurer, meaning she's at least partially responsible for his time in the Chopping Place and all of the resulting trauma
- Parental Abandonment: She was two-years-old when her real parents left, so she doesn't remember them.
- Pet the Dog: Saves Sophia's life fairly early on, even before she had really bonded with any of the heroes except Tin.
- Rich Bitch
- Sour Supporter: To the heroes eventually, despite technically starting out as a prisoner. She's still snippy and doesn't hesitate to insist that she hates them and will make them pay when she "escapes", but as Zero points out she's had several opportunities to go through with her threats and hasn't. She even helps them of her own free will at times, and has saved Sophia's life before
- Tap on the Head: To the point it's become something of a Running Gag.
- Tsundere: Type A, for Pendulum Tin.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Much like her older brother, though to a slightly lesser extent.
- Big Step-Brother Bully: In the worst possible way.
- Cain and Abel
- Domestic Abuse: Poor Sasha...
- Gender-Blender Name: It's Emily for pity's sake.
- I Have Your Ex-Fiance: How he manipulates Mellon into nabbing Sophia for him.
- Kick the Dog: What he does to Melon and Sasha. Bonus points for technically kicking actual dogs, since both kickees are werewolves.
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Would Hurt a Child: As if trying to hand her over to the Meowsician wasn't enough, he outright tries to strangle Sophia to death after she scratches his face.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Who would have expected the eccentric, cat-loving, roller-skating goofball of a bartender to be so dangerous?
- Papa Wolf: Played for laughs when he sees Sophia with a stranger but ends up being darkly subverted, as he ended up luring her to the prop room of opera house, seemingly with the intent to kill her himself
- Serial Killer: The real "Sophia" murderer
- Offscreen Teleportation: A speciality of his. Even the other characters have no idea how he does it.
- Oh, Crap!: Gets a rather amusing one when he sees Sophia walking casually with a strange adult Who happens to be the Meowsician in disguise
"The Emcee" Razz Matazz
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas
- I'm a Humanitarian
- Military Brat
- Older Than They Look: Ivan is actually fifteen, although his speech patterns would suggest otherwise.
- Psychopathic Manchild