The character page for the light novel, manga, and anime series Black Bullet
. Lots of marked and unmarked spoilers ahead. You have been warned.
open/close all folders
Tendo Civil Security
The main 16-year-old protagonist of Black Bullet and the Enju's promotor of Tendo Civil Society.
- Almighty Janitor: His IP ranking is recorded to be relatively low, yet he's a competent fighter himself. Eventually, his IP ranking was raised to 300 after the events of volume 2 and after the battle against Aldebaran's army it was raised to 210.
- Artificial Limbs: He lost his right leg, right arm, and his left eye protecting Kisara from the Gastrea when they were children and took part of the "New Human Creation Plan" to save his own life.
- Awesome by Analysis: He's fairly intelligent, and can deduce some things based on the evidence he sees, such as figuring out Tina isn't entirely evil because she didn't kill the police officer or Enju despite clearly having the ability to do so.
- Badass Normal: He doesn't have any special powers, yet he is capable of confronting the Gastrea pretty well.
- Berserk Button: Don't try to make Enju sad or badmouth about her...just don't.
- Be Yourself/I Am What I Am: This is how Kisara and Rentaro ended up as an Official Couple at the end of volume 6, as well as how the relationship conflict with Kisara was resolved during Rentaro's time as a fugitive. While they both don't agree with each other in terms of their ethics; they respect each other as who they are and their reason of existence, and do not wish to change each other's ways.
- Big Brother Instinct: Well, Enju is capable of fending off the Gastrea and other threats by herself, but he is very protective of Enju's physical, emotional, and mental well-being. Case in point, he gets really defensive when everyone in the school Enju's attends to found out her cursed child status and even tries to search for her when Enju didn't come back home from school.
- He also shows shades of this towards Tina and other Cursed Children.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: There are very strong hints of this trope during the Fugitive arch. Volume 5 even states that Enju has became his obsession.
- Big Brother Mentor: Serves this role to Enju Aihara.
- Bishōnen: His anime design.
- Born Lucky: Described as this by many characters.
- Break the Badass: Honestly, the author figures out a way to break Rentaro down mentally and emotionally in every volume.
- Chick Magnet: Not only that, he also happen to be attractive to the cursed children as well, thus being accused a bit of a Lolicon by some of the other characters.
- Childhood Friend Romance: To Kisara.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: During the mission to retrieve the Inheritance of the Seven Stars from the Hiruko pair, he injects himself with a specialized strain of the Gastrea Virus in order to even further increase the superhuman capabilities he'd gained from his modified Artificial Limbs.
- Deadpan Snarker: Have some shades of this, particularly with Enju's unrealistic fantasies such as her crush with him.
- Determinator: He apparently really strong willpower to the point that he doesn't die when stomach and his other organs are falling apart. Heck, he even survived getting impaled by Kohina's katanas, getting shot repeatedly by Hiruko and falling down a large ravine into a river below due to his sheer determination to live.
- Emo Teen: Let's just say that when someone he cares about dies, he goes into a strong moment of angst. He even thought of committing suicide when he thought Enju was killed off by Tina Sprout.
- Fatal Flaw: The very fact that he refuses to see anyone suffering is one of his biggest flaws of his utilitarian ethics, so he decided to take the emotional burden of the suffering rather than letting Kisara, Enju, and Tina take the emotional burden. Apparently, this caused him to cause more suffering instead of bringing happiness to others, as he has to learn this the hard way in volumes 5 and 6 after he got arrested with Kisara being forced to marry her former boyfriend, Enju being taken away and forced to pair with a total stranger, and Tina being executed for a crime she didn't commit.
- Field Promotion: He's given the rank of 300 by Seitenshi in episode 7 note , which allows him to outrank Takuto, one of her bodyguards, and allows him access to some higher level secret documents she has.
- For Happiness: Brutally deconstructed. He wanted Enju, Tina, and his lover, Kisara to be happy, but does not want to see them in pain and suffering both emotionally and mentally. This apparently involves sacrificing his own happiness in exchange for seeing Enju and Kisara being happy. Apparently, him wanting Enju to live a happy life in her 500 days as human causes him to withhold the crucial information to Enju about the fate that cursed children will eventually become Gastrea monsters overtime and the actual erosion rate (which is hovering dangerously around 41%), thus preventing Enju from taking this emotional burden and instead putting this onto himself instead. This is apparently explored more in the fifth and sixth volumes in the light novel when Rentaro was accused of murder and has to run away as a fugitive. He doesn't want to put Enju, Tina, and Kisara in further trouble in this situation and is willing to sacrifice his own happiness and freedom just to keep Kisara, Tina, and Enju happy when he got arrested. Needless to say, this is taken in Tear Jerker levels and backfired. Not only he cost himself his own happiness, but Kisara also loses her own happiness simply because Rentaro isn't happy.
- Friend to All Children: The reason he's well-liked among the cursed children. He does not see them as vermins, but rather as equals and treat them with kindness. This is also one of the main reasons why he is able to maintain a good Like Brother and Sister relationship with Enju and Tina as well as bringing happiness into their lives they never had.
- The Gunslinger: uses a XD pistol to combat the Gastrea.
- Guns Akimbo: He dual wields pistols in episode 7 during an evaluation by Miori.
- Gun Fu: incoprorates the Tendo style martial arts along with his gun usage.
- Heroic BSOD: He doesn't take it lightly when he had to Mercy Kill Kayo and fears the same fate will happen with Enju. Also had another one in volume 2 when he thought Enju was killed off by Tina Sprout (which surprisingly, Tina spared her life instead, albeit severely injured).
- Hates Being Alone: Much like Enju, Rentaro cannot imagine his life without Enju, Tina, and Kisara in his life. Not to mention, he brought happiness to the said characters' lives and in return, they brought happiness into his life.
- The Hero
- Humans Are Flawed: Has this viewpoint on humanity. While he acknowledges the reality that humanity has done very horrible things towards the cursed children, he still has faith that there is a good side in being a human and hopes that humanity can accept cursed children as humans.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: During his second fight with Kagetane, he reveals a trump card he's been hiding up till that point. His right arm and leg, along with his left eye, are cybernetic implants just like Kagetane has. Said right arm also becomes incredibly useful against the Stage 5 Gastrea that shows up after he defeats Kagetane.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: He can hit targets rather far away with just a pistol. Justified however, in that his cybernetic eye allows him to have really good aim.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Is this towards Kisara and Enju. At least in Enju's case, he wants her to live her remaining 500 days in her human life a happy life. Deconstructed with Kisara in volumes 5 and 6.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Well yeah, he's a good guy at heart, but he is more willing to use lethal force if it means to protecting people he cares about and has a pragmatic approach in things. He even supposedly killed Kagetane.
- Let's Get Dangerous: He generally prefers a move civilized resolution to most of the non-Gastrea problems. Unfortunately the antagonists he's up against generally don't want to talk or side with him, forcing him to have to kick their butts.
- In addition to that, Rentaro generally never goes all out in a fight unless he's ordered to execute the target. This means that unless part of his orders, Rentaro is not going to fight to win.
- Lolicon: He actually isn't, but due to working with Enju, he's constantly accused of this. And when he tries to deny it, no one really believes him. Naturally this is also the first thing the cursed children in episode 8 ask him when he's trying to teach them at a school he set up with Kisara. Sumire also teases him about this to Tina in episode 9, stating that he's trying to start a harem of lolis.
- Made of Iron: He remains standing and combative despite being shot three times, hit with a "Maximum Pain" attack, and stabbed through the gut with dual swords.
- Manly Tears: Have many moments of this.
- Mercy Kill: Had to perform this on Kayo Senju when her Gastrea virus exceeded critical value. He does not take this really well.
- My God, What Have I Done?: In volume 5, after rejecting Kisara's help to get Rentaro out of jail and telling her to find her happiness and sacrificing his own happiness, he later finds out that his Promotor licensed got revoked, Enju being taken away and forced to pair up with a promotor named "buddy killer," and Tina was about to be executed for a crime she didn't commit.
- The Needs of the Many: Rentaro follows a very strict utilitarian ethics where he wants people he cares about (like Enju, Tina, and Kisara) to be happy. This involves sacrificing his own happiness for the sake their happiness and his utilitarian ethics got brutally deconstructed in volumes 5 and 6 when he was accused of murder. Sumire even discussed this trope numerous times in this series to Rentaro not to sacrifice his happiness for the sake of others.
- Nice Guy: He's willing to help others in need when necessary.
- Oblivious to Love: For the most part. He does seem to have an interest in Kisara, but never makes a move on her. Sumire teases him about it, and wonders how Kisara is still single.
- Official Couple: With Kisara after volume 6.
- Please Don't Leave Me: A slight variation of this trope at the anime finale.
Rentaro: I’m afraid, I’m becoming unaffected by the deaths of others… Enju… Please stay by my side, always…Don’t let me go…..”
- Pragmatic Hero: While he is a good person at heart, he takes a more rational and realistic approach in life and dealing with problems without going into the Anti-Hero category. He's even willing to use lethal force against Kagetane as well.
- He also prevent Enju from saving a cursed child who stole some food, noting that such action would have resulted in a negative outcome between him and Enju.
- When Rentaro took the position as commander after Gado was killed off, a fellow civil security officer questioned him. Rentaro responded by stabbing the said civil security officer in the shoulder, hoping that other civil security officers will discard their fear and instead hate him so that the civil officers' morale will be boosted.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Serves as the blue to Enju's red and red to Kisara's blue.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Kagetane attempted to bribe Rentaro with a suitcase filled with cash in order to get him out of poverty and join his evil cause, Rentaro responded by shooting at the suitcase.
- Tsundere: A male and subtle example. He feels really uneasy when Enju tries to make romantic moves on him, noting how wrong this kind of relationship would be.
- Unwanted Harem: Enju, Tina, and the group of Cursed Children he tries to teach all want to marry him.
- What Measure Is A Nonhuman: Averted. While most people typically see Cursed children as an annoyance, if not a threat, he tries to treat them like normal humans. Unsurprisingly, this makes him more likeable to those girls.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Enju asks why Rentaro didn't do anything for the cursed child caught stealing food in episode 2. And when she tried to reach out to Enju, he stopped her. She then asks if he's supposed to be a protector, making him feel guilty about it, and causing him to chase after the police as a result. Although to be fair, Rentaro was being realistic in this situation because all of the possible outcomes would have been bad for both him and Enju.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: He attempts to help create a better world where Cursed Children don't have to live in fear of ostracization, and one with out Gastrea in it. Unfortunately, due to the very real danger the two groups present, or could potentially present, he's fighting a very difficult uphill battle against people's preconceived notions against girls like Enju and Tina.
- It should be noted that Rentaro isn't as idealistic as Enju and Seitenshi, as he has a realistic perspective in life. On the other hand, he's also a utilitarian where he absolutely refuses to see any suffering and would rather see Tina, Enju, and Kisara happy rather than seeing them suffer. In fact, he's willing to sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of others.
- This comes back to haunt him in episode 12 when Kagetane tells him this is the world he wished for and fought the against the latter to achieve, and now would have to deal with the consequences. Kagetane was referring to Midori being severely injured, and told Rentaro he'd have to kill her himself since she was no longer combat effective.
- The Worf Effect: Suffers from this when fighting against Kagetane. The latter only let him live because he felt Rentaro would be a useful ally to have. And it was only because of a risky gamble with a drug Dr. Muroto gave him that allowed him to defeat Kagetane.
- Would Hit a Girl: Well, normally he wouldn't. But he's forced to during his fight with Tina due to her orders to kill Seitenshi, and for also hurting Kisara and Enju.
A young 10-year-old cursed child and Rentaro's Model Rabbit initiator. Has severe trust issues but a friendly young girl.
- Action Girl: Like most of the other Cursed Children, she's a very capable fighter.
- A-Cup Angst: She felt offended when Rentaro told her that she's flat-chested. She also tells Seitenshi in episode 5 that Rentaro doesn't look at any girls who have smaller breasts than Kisara. Justified though, she is only about ten years old.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Has her moments, particularly with her crush with Rentaro.
- All Love Is Unrequited: She has romantic feelings towards Rentaro. Rentaro does love Enju, but love her as a little sister rather than a romantic interest. Besides, Rentaro has shown romantic interest towards his childhood friend, Kisara, anyways.
- All-Loving Heroine: One of her trademarks traits. For example Enju is quick to forgive her classmates for their betrayal and even says she'll continue to protect them. She also later forgave Tina Sprout after the Assassination arch and later become one of her best friends despite the fact that Tina brutally injured her earlier.
- All of the Other Reindeer: After her status as a cursed child was found out, she's treated as trash by her teachers and classmates in school.
- Animal Motif: Rabbit. She even wears black hairpins with bunny designs and her Girlish Pigtails somewhat resembles long rabbit ears in the manga.
- Badass Adorable: She's one adorable loli that can kick Gastrea's ass.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Who would have thought a 10-year-old loli born with the Gastrea virus in her blood can be one of the most-kindhearted characters?
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The main reason she warmed up to Rentaro was because he tried to treat her like a normal person. In episode 2's Flash Back, she seemed quite hostile to him when they first met, but after eating some decent food he made, she starts to act less cold towards him.
- Big Brother Worship: She is very emotionally attached to Rentaro and sees him not only as an older brother figure, but as a romantic interest.
- Blush Sticker: Has brightly colored blushes in her face, but are more visible whenever she's happy.
- Break the Cutie: Numerous times in this series from being rejected in the school she attends to after her status as a cursed child was found out to seeing Rentaro "dying", you really have to feel sorry for this poor loli. She also doesn't take it very well when she sees the bodies of all the girls that were attending the class Rentaro and Kisara were attempting to teach in episode 10.
- Cheerful Child: She always maintain a sunny disposition no matter how bad things are.
- Clingy Jealous Girl:
- Is this towards Kisara in relations to Rentaro's relationship with her.
- In the first episode of the anime, at the end of one day, she asks if he wants to do anything after they're done eating at night. He says he does, and then goes to bed in his room. She immediately goes in there and beats him up for not wanting to take advantage of her.
- Later she gets upset at him for spending some time with Kayo while he attended her injuries.
- She headbutts him in the jaw after he compliments Seitenshi in episode 5 while discussing with her about what she planned to do in the future.
- In episode 9, she, along with the other people he recruited to help protect the breached monolith, interrupt a moment that he was having with Kisara. She angrily accuses him of having groped her just moments before, which he vehemently denies.
- Cute Bruiser: She is quite powerful despite being really young due to the Gastrea virus inside of her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Volume 7 light novel reveals a lot of Enju's backstory and reveals how she developed a lot of trust issues, yet maintains a Nice Girl All Loving Heroine personality. Enju was adapted by the Aihara family where the former ruler of Tokyo gave money to families who raise and adapt cursed children. Unfortunately, many families only adapt the children just for the money, so the policy was abandoned. Enju happens to be one of those children and she suffered a lot of physical and emotional abuse by her foster family. This caused Enju to fought back against her foster family and ran away from home into the outer areas and committed crimes just to survive minus murder (apparently, this caused her to be shot by the police numerous times). She joined IISO as an initiator just to have a better life.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Any time she beats up Rentaro, it's seen as cute or acceptable. If the situation were reversed, he'd probably be in jail, assuming she didn't kill him first.
- Extremity Extremist: As a 'Model Rabbit' Initiator, most of her power is in her legs and her feet - making kicks her main weapon. About the only time she throws a punch is when she'd inflicting Amusing Injuries on Rentaro.
- Fiery Redhead
- Fragile Flower: She is a very emotionally sensitive loli that is prone to breaking down in tears or crying. It's also highly implied that if she found out that she's slowly turning into a Gastrea monster or dying, this will be enough for her to break her permanently emotionally and mentally.
- Genki Girl: Gets chipper, energetic, and happy really easily.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Is Not Soft: While she's a sweet, kind-hearted young girl at heart, she isn't hesitant to kick someone's ass when necessary whether if it's the Gastrea or some villain.
- Hates Being Alone: She can't stand loneliness after being alone for most of her life. You can easily imagine the emotional trauma during volumes 5 and 6 when she was forcefully taken away and separated by the IISO and forced to be paired with a total stranger named "buddy killer."
- The Heart: She serves as the moral center for Tendo Civil Security company.
- Humans Are Flawed: Much like Rentaro, Enju holds this viewpoint. She acknowledges the harsh reality on humanity's Fantastic Racism against the cursed children and feels that there is a good side in humanity and hopes humanity can accept her kind. Hence, this is one of the reasons why she continues fighting against the Gastrea, because she loves everyone unconditionally.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: One of the main reasons why Enju was so hesitant in transferring schools. When her status as a cursed child was found out at school, she stated that she still loves them and is willing to protect them.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Being one of the most pure hearted and most kind-hearted lolis in the series, she is not easily swayed by any form of evil manipulation such as the Hiruko pair's attempts to have Rentaro and Enju join their evil cause. The only thing that is "corrupting" her is her high corrosion rate.
- Insane Forgiveness: See All Loving Heroine above
- Kick Chick: Most of her combat abilities involves a lot of kicking. Justified, as the boots she wears have the tip of her boots and soles made of Baranuim.
- Kid Hero: In contrast to Rentaro who is older then her, Enju is much younger and more of a traditional hero.
- Little Sister Heroine: Rentaro treats Enju like a little sister to him rather than just an initiator. It can also be a Deconstruction to this trope, as her Precocious Crush not only serves an annoyance to Rentaro, but her high corrosion rate serves as an emotional burden to him as well.
- Locked Out of the Loop: At the end of episode 4, Rentaro tells her that her body corrosion rate is at 24.9%, which she mentions barely changed at all. But as they walk down the street, a screen reveals her actual corrosion is at 42.1%, and she only has about 7.2% left before she succumbs to turning into a Gastrea.
- It's also highly implied that Enju has no idea that cursed children will eventually turn into a Gastrea or die if the erosion rate is left unchecked (even though she knows the erosion rate concept).
- Morality Chain: She's one of the reasons why Rentaro doesn't take a darker path or fall into despair.
- Nice Girl: Very much so. No matter how much people treat her as trash, she always friendly and kind-hearted towards everyone she meets.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Standing 145 cm, she's a competent fighter.
- The Pollyanna: She's probably one of the most optimistic characters in a very dark world and is able to cope with tragedies around her easily. Sumire even mentions that Enju is mentally strong despite the abuse and trauma she received from society.
- Power of Trust: One of her biggest issues is her hard time trusting others. However, she does eventually maintain a good relationship with Rentaro.
- Precocious Crush: There are some hints of this with Rentaro.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Oni: To Rentaro's and Tina's blue.
- Technical Pacifist: While she's not hesitant on using brute force when fighting bad guys and the Gastrea, she absolutely refuses to kill another human being. Case in point, she's very hesitant on mercy killing an infected man in episode 1 before the said man turned into a Gastrea.
- Discussed by Kayo Senju stating that Enju isn't the kind of girl who is willing to kill another human being when discussing how the former was ordered by her Promotor, Shougen Ikuma, to kill a Initiator-Promotor pair because Shougen refuses to share the rewards.
- Also, her Dark and Troubled Past while living in the outer districts shown that she had to commit various amounts of crimes just to survive. The only crime she never committed is murder.
- Tender Tears: Prone to breaking down in tears a lot due to her kind-hearted and sweet sensitive nature of her personality.
- Tearful Smile: Whenever she's reunited with Rentaro and in the anime finale.
- Typhoid Mary: She's highly unaware that she is slowly turning into a Gastrea monster or dying.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: She always maintain her optimistic personality no matter how bad things are. Unfortunately, she's not aware of the eventual fate she may suffer like most cursed children.
- You Are Not Alone: After the doctor that worked on Rentaro in the past explains to him that he at least knows where he came from, whereas Enju was abandoned and confused as to where she stands in the world, he tells Enju that even if the entire world rejected her, he would still be by her side.
President of the Tendo Civil Security Company.
The president of the Tendo Civil Security Company. Her parents were killed by the Gastrea and have family issues (particularly her grandfather).
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Her katana slices off the front end of several barrels on an assassin's gatling gun in episode 6. She also cuts through a rather large Gastrea in episode 13.
- Action Girl: She can be an effective fighter when the situation calls for it.
- Anti-Hero: She's doing what is best for the Tendo Civil Security, Rentaro, and Enju. However, the fact that she holds a strong grudge against her own family and her Pay Evil unto Evil attitude makes her a flawed character. Her dark side of her anti-heroic personality is highlighted further in the anime when she killed her own brother rather than sparing his life and takes joy in killing him, thus causing Rentaro to be worry on what she will become.
- Badass Adorable: A highschool girl who not only runs a Civil Security Company, but also capable of kicking lots of ass with her katana.
- Benevolent Boss/Bad Boss: Can go either way towards Rentaro depending on her mood.
- Be Yourself/I Am What I Am: This is how Kisara and Rentaro ended up as an Official Couple at the end of volume 6, as well as how the relationship conflict with Kisara was resolved during Rentaro's time as a fugitive. While they both don't agree with each other in terms of their ethics; they respect each other as who they are and their reason of existence, and do not wish to change each other's ways.
- Boobs of Steel: A recurring gag with Kisara often involves her large breasts, often a source of Enju's jealousy.
- Broken Bird: What happened to her at the end of volume 6 in regards to the events that happened in volume 5 and 6 (in addition to losing her parents). She even mentions that a broken body can be healed, but you can never heal a broken soul.
- Blue Oni: To Rentaro's red.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: This starts to crop up when Miori Shiba, the student council president at Rentaro's school, and daughter of the CEO that sponsors his equipment, pays him a visit at the same time as her in episode 5. Kisara also doesn't like that Miori keeps trying to snag him away, not just romantically, but also to work directly for her company. Both girls end up making verbal jabs at each other while eating at his apartment. In episode 6, she also doesn't like it when Rentaro is alone with Miori in the student council office.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Rentaro.
- Cool Big Sis: A bit of one to Enju, and later, to Tina.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her parent's death has caused to hate her own family heritage and take a darker turn of her personality.
- Deadpan Snarker: Particularly when it comes to Rentaro.
- Glass Cannon: Her remarkable swordsmanship and skills makes her a remarkable fighter. However, the fact that she has kidney problems prevents her from fighting in prolonged periods of time and put a strain to her body.
- Hime Cut
- Grandfather Issues/You're Not My Grandfather: She strongly distrust and hates her grandfather and not only that, she hates the entire Tendo clan and decided to disown them for her parents' death.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: One of Rentaro's concern about Kisara's dark path of revenge against her family is that if she continues her path of revenge, she'll end up as bad as the family members she killed.
- Ill Girl: It's revealed that Kisara has a severe kidney health problem, thanks to the Gastrea attack that killed her parents.
- Judge, Jury, and Executioner: Served this during the duel against Kazumitsu and when killing him.
- Official Couple: With Rentaro after the end of volume 6.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Firm believer of this. Rentaro fears she may end up being just as evil as the people she's trying to kill.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She generally does what she can to help Rentaro out on his missions. Due to their strained finances, said help usually doesn't amount to much other than him not wanting to disappoint her, though that's usually enough to get him to accomplish the mission.
- Revenge Before Reason: She wants revenge against her Tendo family clan for the death of her parents.
- Sailor Fuku: Her default outfit both for school and at work.
- School Uniforms are the New Black: Usually wears her school uniform on most occasion.
- She Who Fights Monsters: Kisara starts down this slippery slope in episode 13 after she brutally slices off her older brother's legs with an attack that ultimately kills him. She seems a little too ecstatic about having just murdered someone, even if it was justified, and Rentaro fears he may have to fight her someday if she continues down this path.
- She's Got Legs: Which are accentuated with her knee-high socks.
- Tsundere: A type B for the most part. But she turns into an A if Miori is around, and enters Clingy Jealous Girl mode.
- Yandere: Played for Laughs. In episode 5, she attacks Miori after the latter gets too close to Rentaro. And in episode 6, after he goes to the student council office to meet with Miori, Kisara tells him that she's going to throw a tear gas canister in there, and then she's going to shoot Miori twice in the chest, and once in the head when she comes out of the office.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A
Voiced by: Tomoyo Kurosawa
A cursed child/mechanized soldier and Ayn Rand's Model Owl Initiator. She was sent to assassinate Seitenshi by Ayn, but was foiled by Enju and Rentaro. She was placed under special treatment and kept under surveillance under orders by Seitenshi. She was later paired with Kisara after her release and joined the Tendo Civil Security Company.
- Achilles' Heel: Bright flashes or light temporarily blinds her as evident with the discharged flash bang (or the sudden flash of light from a Molotov cocktail in the light novels).
- Action Girl: She can put up quite a fight, as several characters and a cop finds out.
- Animal Motif: Owl.
- Ascended Extra: She later plays a larger role in volume 3 and 4.
- Badass Adorable: Like pretty much every other loli in this series. In episode 7, Miori mentions that Rentaro's fighting power is about 2200%. Meanwhile Enju's is rated at about 8600%, while Tina's is a mind-boggling 12,900%.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: She was really soft on Rentaro when they first met because he talked to her normally and even bought some food for her later. Heck, she even spares Enju's life as well.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A cop finds this out the hard way when he innocently tries to help her while she was on her way to a mission. Fortunately for him he's stated to have survived, though his squad car gets totaled.
- BFG: She uses a gatling gun in one of her missions to kill Kisara.
- Blue Oni: She serves as the blue to Enju's red.
- Blush Sticker: Like Enju, Tina have brightly colored blushes in her face that are mostly visible whenever she's happy.
- Child Soldier: Was the product of the mechanized soldier/cursed child hybrid program.
- Cloudcuckoolander/The Ditz: Can be a bit of an airhead sometimes.
- Cold Sniper/Friendly Sniper: Her choice of weaponry in combat, though she does use combat drones for close encounters.
- Cute Bruiser: Like many of the cursed children, she's pretty strong and powerful physically. In fact, it's even stated that her combat abilities is far superior than Enju's.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After being defeated by Rentaro, she decided to join the Tendo Civil Security Company. Noting that Rentaro has treated with kindness while her employer doesn't care about her well-being, she decided to start a new life with the former and even made good friends with Enju.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: She wanted to make her own life meaningful and wanted to have a reason to exist as a cursed child. Thanks to some of Rentaro's encouraging words, she decided to find her own meaning in life by joining the Tendo Civil Security Company.
- The Dreaded: She's has a rank of 97. Seitenshi tells Rentaro that anyone ranked 100 or less are to be considered deadly. He finds out about this after he sent Enju off to pursue her. He then tries to call her phone, and though it gets picked up, Enju doesn't answer it. He assumes the worst has happened.
- Easily Forgiven: Despite being ordered to take out Seitenshi, she is actually forgiven by the person she was trying to assassinate. Kisara and Enju also don't seem to hold any grudges against her despite Tina harming both of them before.
- Empty Shell: The reason she was working with Ayn Rand was because she felt that her life was completely empty, and by working with Ayn Rand establishes some meaning in her life. Fortunately, she decided to find her own reason of existence by joining the Tendo Civil Security Company.
- Expy: Has a passing resemblance with Suwako Moriya.
- Genius Ditz: While she can act like an airhead from time to time, she can be very smart and clever as well.
- Genre Savvy: When Rentaro gives her his phone number, she immediately starts dialing it right away while he's still there. When he asks why, she says that he may have given her a fake one, and wants to make sure it's really his number.
- Heavy Sleeper: She claims she's most active at night, and when Rentaro first runs into her during the day, he has to save her from some thugs who accost her after she accidentally hits one of them on her bicycle. Even taking caffeine pills doesn't help much.
- Heel-Face Turn: Not like she has a choice anyways. Fortunately it doesn't bother her as she likes Rentaro and Enju.
- Heroic BSOD: Suffers from a temporary one in episode 6, after she finds out that Rentaro was the one guarding Seitenshi and foiled her assassination attempt.
- Innate Night Vision: Due to her being a Model Owl, she has very strong night vision.
- Just Following Orders: The initial reason she was doing bad things. She tells Rentaro that by doing these things, it gives her life meaning. Rentaro calls her sad, but later mentions he would try to help give her a happier life without having to kill people.
- Nice Girl: Like Enju, Tina happens to be a relatively friendly girl at heart.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: When Rentaro first runs into her, she's very sleepy and still wearing pajamas despite it being broad daylight. She also seems dazed and confused, causing him to worry about her a little bit, and later gives her his phone number in case she needs anything. However, it appears to have largely been an act, and she seems quite intelligent once she calls her handler and lets them know she's infiltrated the Tokyo area.
- One Note Chef: Tina made pizza for Rentaro and Enju to eat for dinner. When she was asked what other foods she can make, she stated the pizza is all she can make.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Suffers from a shot to her abdomen by Takuto in episode 7. However, the latter is Dangerously Genre Savvy enough to realize non-varanium bullets won't kill her outright, and wonders how many lead bullets it would take to eliminate her. He's stopped by Seitenshi before he can put that theory to the test.
- Parental Abandonment: Though in this case it's because her parents died, as she reveals to Rentaro in episode 6 after he spends some time with her.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Subverted. She does have the blue eyes, blonde hair appearance of an American. However, her personality is completely opposite from the typical Japanese stereotype of an American.
- Precocious Crush: Like Enju, Tina happens to be emotionally attached to Rentaro and wishes to marry him.
- The Quiet One:She doesn't really talk much with people.
- Reluctant Warrior: She only kills when she absolutely has to, or is ordered to do so in the case of her first boss. Otherwise she tries to use non-lethal, albeit painful, methods of disabling non-targets. This is ultimately what saves her and gives her a better opportunity in life after she is stopped by Rentaro.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: She uses a rather large sniper rifle.
- Smarter Than She Looks: She can be quite cunning despite her ditzy personality, more so then Enju.
The current ruler of Tokyo Area. She fights for equal rights for the cursed children.
- Actual Pacifist: She's a strong believer of pacifism and believes everyone can live together in harmony, both normal humans and cursed children alike.
- Badass Pacifist: Despite her dedication to pacifism, she placed herself in dangerous situations during volume 2 and manages to escape house arrest placed by Kikunojou Tendo during volume 7 with the political fallout in the meeting with the city-states of Japan. Regardless, she looks badass and pacifistic at the same time.
- A Teen Shall Lead Tokyo: And it's really hard to believe that.
- Big Good: The closest thing this series has to one. She's a Reasonable Authority Figure, and works to improve the Cursed Children's lot in life, knowing that many people refuse to accept them because of the Gastrea breakout. She also tries to perform her duties even knowing that someone would attempt to assassinate her.
- Foil: To her aide and advisor Kikunojou. Seitenshi is a Wide-Eyed Idealist pacifist who want to grant civil rights to the cursed children and be part of Tokyo's society. Kikunojou is a cynic who lived through the war and has strong hatred towards the cursed children; he sees the cursed children as vermin that need to be eradicated from society.
- Nice Girl: Really, this woman wants to implement civil rights for the cursed children in Tokyo.
- Nice Hat: She's often seen wearing one.
- Pimped-Out Dress: She certainly stands out compared to many of the other characters due to her clothing.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She gives Rentaro a surprising amount of freedom when he's assigned to her as a bodyguard. She also gives him the "power" he wants when he says he wants to be strong enough to protect his friends and loved ones, in the form of a Field Promotion. Also, she wants to push for civil rights for the cursed children and pardoned Tina, noting that Tina isn't an evil person at heart.
- Too Dumb to Live: While she doesn't get killed, Rentaro believes she's exposing herself too much when an assassin tries to take her out in episodes 5 and 6. For her part, Seitenshi says she has to maintain a public presence, though she at least does let him do things to try to ensure her survival, such as switching her out of the limo in episode 6 into one of the other vehicles in her convoy.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: She believes that the cursed children can live in harmony and peace with the normal humans in society and the key to defeating the Gastrea.
- Wise Beyond Her Years: Justified, considering she IS the ruler of Tokyo after all.
- Woman in White
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Serves as a motherly figure to many of the protagonists.
- Younger Than She Look: Believe or not, she happens to be roughly about Rentaro's age. Yet, the way she dresses, her mature personality, and her motherly like figure to many of the characters makes others mistake her as an adult. This trope is lampshaded by Rentaro himself.
Voiced by: Tamio Ohki
The grandfather of Kisara Tendo and foster father of Rentaro Sataomi. He works as an advisor and aide to Seitenshi.
- Anti-Villain: His hatred towards the cursed children is partially because his tragic past of losing his wife, but he feels that the cursed children needs to be suppressed or eradicated as means of protecting humanity; and such hatred is necessary as means of defeating the Gastrea. Thus being said, he is strongly loyal to Seitenshi to the point to having plans to evacuate her and the citizens of Tokyo should Rentaro fail to stop the Hiruko pair (which he ironically hired by himself) or if Rentaro fails to stop the level 5 Gastrea. Having the political power and influence in Tokyo, he probably would be the guy who is willing to start a genocide on the cursed children, but as long as Seitenshi is alive, he probably wouldn't pull something off like that. Rentaro even describe him as a very contradicting character. The anime, however, cut out a lot of his characterization and portray him to be more like a Corrupt Politician.
- Badass Grandpa: He's an old guy who lead the Japanese troops during the Gastrea war.
- Corrupt Politician: How he is portrayed in the anime.
- The Cynic: Because he lost his wife to the Gastrea 10 years ago, he isn't really happy about Seitenshi implementing civil rights for the cursed children.
- Cynical Mentor: He serves as a fatherly teacher and mentor figure to Rentaro and gave some encouraging words to Rentaro, such as "If you don't want to die, live". On the other hand, he's a very jaded old man who has a strong hatred towards the cursed children and will do any necessary means to defeat the Gastrea, including genocide on the cursed children.
- Evil Mentor: Keep in mind that he also hired the Hiruko pair as well.
- Evil Old Folks: He hired the Hiruko pair to stir chaos around the Tokyo area as means of discrediting Seitenshi implementation of civil rights for the cursed children (as Kohina Hiruko is a cursed child herself).
- Foil: To Seitenshi. While Seitenshi is a Wide-Eyed Idealist pacifistic ruler of Tokyo who wants to implement civil rights for the cursed children, Kikunojou is a cynical old man who survived through the war and will do anything to prevent granting the cursed children civil rights to the point of hiring the Hiruko pair to create a 0% Approval Rating for the cursed children.
- Freudian Excuse: His hatred towards the cursed children is somewhat justifiable when his wife was killed by the Gastrea 10 years ago and the eventual fate of many of the cursed children. That doesn't really justify his action of hiring the Hiruko pair to cause trouble in Tokyo though.
- Irony: Despite his strong hatred towards the cursed children, he actually has strong distrust towards President Sougen Saitake of Osaka.
- Jerkass: Not only this guy want complete genocide on the cursed children, he also hired the Hiruko pair to stir chaos around Tokyo.
- Karma Houdini: In the anime at least, he's not really punished for the stuff he was responsible for, such as hiring the Hiruko's to discredit Seitenshi's plans to pass some laws to give the Cursed Children a better chance at life.
- Necessarily Evil: He feels that the hatred of the cursed children and suppression of their rights is necessary to defeat the Gastrea. This also involves hiring the Hiruko pair as well.
- Power Of Hate: His hatred towards the cursed children allows him to hold a lot of political influence and power in Tokyo, thus making Seitenshi's goals of implementing civil rights on cursed children difficult.
- The Man Behind the Man: He's the one responsible for letting the Hiruko pair go on a chaotic rampage and releasing a level 5 Gastrea in the Tokyo area.
- Undying Loyalty: He's extremely loyal to Seitenshi. Subverted that is willing to do evil things as means of discrediting Seitenshi's goals of implementing equal rights for the cursed children.
The head Gastrea researcher of a medicine lab in Magata Public University Hospital who serves as a adviser and teacher to Rentaro. Eccentric, but is one of the four sages and was in charge of the "New Human Creation Plan."
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite her eccentricity and sometimes act a bit immature in front of Rentaro, she's actually quite smart and is one of the four sages.
- Bi the Way/Straight Gay: Doesn't quite show the usual gay/bi cliches. In the first episode, after she jokingly referred to a corpse she did an autopsy on as her boyfriend, Rentaro answered, that he thought, that she had a thing going on with a woman named Susan.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Her cooking and sense of taste are very odd.
- Cool Big Sis: Serves this role to Rentaro
- Eccentric Mentor: Very much so, she loves to tease Rentaro at times.
- The Gadfly: Towards Rentaro, at least.
- Hikikomori: She's rarely seen outside of her own laboratory.
- Mad Scientist: A more heroic example.
- Motherly Scientist
- Ms. Exposition: She provides a lot of the explanations for how things work in the series, such as when explaining to Rentaro about the procedures he underwent as a young child to enhance and fix up his broken body.
- Shipper on Deck: For Rentaro and Kisara.
- Troll: She likes to tease Rentaro from time to time, because of how Oblivious to Love he seems at times.
- Woman Child: Is an adult, but she sometimes acts less mature than Rentaro, unless she gets serious.
A former promoter of a Civil Security company before his license was revoked due to excessive killing.
- Artificial Limbs: Like Rentaro, he took part on the "New Human Creation Plan."
- Ax-Crazy: Is perfectly okay with people getting killed for the sake of making sure people like him and Rentaro are needed to fight the Gastrea.
- Badass: The only human enemy Rentaro faces who actually is a threat.
- Big Bad: The main antagonist in the first volume.
- Cool Mask: Wears a white mask which sports a exaggerated smile.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He always seems to be in control of the situations he puts himself in, and seems to know a lot about Rentaro. When he first asked the latter to join forces, he offered a suitcase full of money, knowing that the latter is suffering from money problems. He even tries to make it sound like he wants to protect the cursed children, but Rentaro is Genre Savvy enough to know that he also doesn't care how many people die to achieve his twisted goals. He then makes a threat about Enju's school the next day, and her status as a cursed child is found out by her classmates and the school, likely because he told them about it.
- Likwise within about two episodes he nearly kills Rentaro with a sneak attack and hides out in a Gastrea infected forest knowing that he can use them to his advantage should Rentaro and the other pairs arrive. Hell he was only defeated because Rentaro had to pull two I Am Not Left-Handed against him and even then, Rentaro STILL couldn't get the upper hand at first.
- Deflector Shield: His Repulsion Shield is basically this.
- Disney Villain Death: Rentaro knocks Kagetane into a river in episode 4 after finally managing to defeat the latter. And episode 11 reveals he's Not Quite Dead, though he also isn't actively opposing Rentaro at the time either.
- Dynamic Entry: Very fond of this. In the manga, he appeared out of nowhere by sitting on a chair.
- Dystopia Justifies the Means: Hiruko's motivation is to start another Gastrea war to ensure that the world will always be filled with chaos and always need people like him, the cursed children, and Rentaro.
- Evil Laugh: Enjoy this trope a lot.
- Evil Is Hammy: In the manga and anime adaption, he's portrayed to be a bit more overdramatic.
- Expy: His mask evokes the Guy Fawkes mask-wearing character V from V for Vendetta. His personality and goals, however, are more similar to The Joker, especifically his portrait from the 2008 film The Dark Knight.
- Lampshaded in the anime. When he joins Rentaro against the Gastrea and Aldebaran, Rentaro gives everyone a card motif. Kagetane's though? The Joker.
- For the Evulz: There really is no reason for the stuff he does besides enjoying it.
- Hero Killer: He nearly kills Rentaro, and he definitely kills quite a few other characters before being stopped by Rentaro. He also killed Shogen though he wasn't exactly a hero.
- Humans Are Bastards: In a stark contrast to Rentaro's and Enju's Humans Are Flawed, Kagetane feels that humanity is irredeemable due to their racism against cursed children and feels that the world is meaningless.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: His signature bayonet-bladed silver gun.
- Lack of Empathy
- Luckily My Barrier Will Protect Me: It does the first few times he's seen using it, as seen in episode 2 when many shots are fired at him, only for him to stop every single bullet, and then deflect them back to the shooters. Rentaro then reveals his cybernetic right arm, which is able to punch through said barrier due to it being made of varanium.
- Nice Hat
- Not So Different: He thinks him and Rentaro are this. He says that they are both much stronger than an average person and due to that power, they have thought of using force to get their way. The only difference between him and Rentaro is that he listens to his vicious thoughts.
- Pet the Dog: He seems to genuinely care about his daughter, not that that takes away from his evil.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Straw Nihilist: Sort of, he mentions to Rentaro that their purpose in life is mosttly because society is dependent on people like him and Rentaro and once society no longer needs them, then there is no purpose for the cursed children and civil securities. This is why Kagetane really wants Rentaro to join his cause of starting another Gastrea war.
- Token Evil Teammate: Becomes this after he joins Rentaro and the others in stopping the Gastrea from penetrating any further into Tokyo. Due to him having killed many others prior to this, he is deeply mistrusted by virtually everyone, and Rentaro only puts up with him because he and Kohina saved his life.
- Troll: Likes to piss everyone off as much as possible.
- Villainous Rescue: He does this a few times for Rentaro after the Gastrea breach one of the monoliths guarding Tokyo.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: He's the first major antagonist Rentaro faces off against, and is quite formidable compared to the generic Gastrea monsters he's fought up to that point. In comparison with the other enemies Rentaro faces too, he gave Rentaro one of the hardest fights yet in the series.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Zigzagged. He does in fact kill two police officers by shooting them when Rentaro first runs into him. And later he also shoots many other people at a meeting. However, when fighting Rentaro, he seems to prefer melee combat, most likely because he wants to test the latter's resolve and strength.
- We Can Rule Together: Hiruko is very interested in Rentaro and offers him the chance to join his cause on more than one occasion.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He certainly tries to paint himself as a good guy, but Rentaro doesn't believe any of it due to the brutal methods he tends to employ, along with trying to bring more Gastrea invasions while the latter is trying to prevent them.
- Wicked Cultured: A very sharply dressed villain.
- Would Hurt a Child: Attempted to kill Enju Aihara that forces Rentaro to Taking the Bullet.
Kagetane's daughter and a cursed child. She serves as a Model Mantis Initiator to Kagetane.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the light novel series, she wears a black dress and has black hair. The anime design gives her dark blue hair and dark blue dress.
- Ax-Crazy: Despite looking like a typical cute girl, she has a tendency to talk about killing people and severing limbs as if it was normal dialogue for a young child.
- Badass Adorable: Like most cursed children.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: As opposed to Enju's Bad Powers, Good People.
- Creepy Child: Her smile just makes it even creepier.
- Cute Bruiser: She's just as deadly in combat as Enju and Tina.
- Cute and Psycho: She can appear innocent at first, until she starts killing people.
- Daddy's Little Villain: Kagetane is raising her to be quite an effective killer.
- Dark Is Evil
- Dual Wielding: Uses two swords in combat.
- Enfant Terrible
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her red eyes look different to the common cursed child ones, but it only enforces her creepiness.
- Undying Loyalty: To her father.
- Wicked Cultured: Wears a fancy black dress in combat.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After her father is beaten, Kohina just disappears after Rentaro leaves. Episode 11 reveals that Kagetane didn't quite die, and she's seen with him again, this time helping Rentaro.
Voiced by: Hiromichi Tezuka
A battle-crazed Promotor for a Civil Security Company.
- Asshole Victim: He was rather rude and also killed his teammates in an attempt to not have to share the rewards with them. He gets exactly what he deserves thanks to Kagetane.
- BFS: Use a giant sword in combat.
- Blood Knight: He always thirst for a good fight, which is why he refuses to back down on the fight against Kagetane even though he has virtually no chances of winning the battle or have a high chance of getting killed.
- Cool Mask
- Dumb Muscle: Let's just say he's isn't really that smart.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His own sword is used to stab him in the back and killing him shortly after running into Rentaro and Enju.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Episode 4 reveals him slowly walking towards Rentaro asking where his sword is. Then as the camera angle changes, his sword has been impaled in his back. He falls over and dies shortly afterwards.
- Jerkass: He acts like a total asshole in the light novel series. In the manga, however, toned down his character and portrayed him more like a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Killed Off for Real: Killed by Kagetane in the duel between them.
- Rated M for Manly
- Red Oni: The red to Kayo's blue.
- Tattoo as Character Type: Spots tattoos all-over his body, showing his "tough guy" image.
Shougen Ikuma's Model Dolphin Initiator and a cursed child with an IQ of 210, but ill-suited for front-line battles.
- And the Stoic Loli Was About To Become the Gastrea
- Badass Adorable: She's a cursed child, of course she is!
- Badass Bookworm: She has an IQ of 210 and is quite smart for a 10-year-old girl.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason she decided to stay behind and fend off a swarm of Gastrea.
- Blue Oni: She's the blue to Ikuma's red.
- Boom, Headshot: How Rentaro Mercy Kill her to end her pain and suffering from the Gastrea virus.
- Cute Bruiser
- Face Death with Dignity: She is willing to accept death as her own fate when the Gastrea virus is overwhelming her body.
- Famous Last Words: “Rentaro-san, I think that next….there’ll be countless trails awaiting you. If you ever lose direction, get lost in the darkness, please follow the direction of your heart………light…….follow the light…….Rentaro………..please save…………………….this world.”
- Go Out with a Smile: She tries to go for this when talking to Rentaro for the final time.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She accepted her eventual fate of most cursed children will turn into Eldritch Abomination and wanted to save Rentaro's life, feeling that he can make a greater change and save the world.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate
- I Lied: In episode 4, she attempts to Hold the Line for Rentaro, so that he can focus on stopping Kagetane. She assures him that she would run if she found herself at a disadvantage against the Gastrea approaching them. After he defeats Kagetane, Rentaro finds a lot of dead Gastrea, and a severely wounded Kayo, who held out till the very end despite what she claimed earlier about running away.
- Let Them Die Happy: When Kayo asks Rentaro if Shougen is alright, Rentaro responded that he is fine. Unfortunately, Shougen was killed off earlier and Rentaro wanted Kayo to die happily.
- Locked Out of the Loop: When Rentaro finds her at the end of episode 4, she asks how Shougen is doing. He says that he's fine, and she's thankful for that. However, he just lied to her to avoid having Shougen's death put more of a strain on her body, as Rentaro sees him right before he dies from getting impaled with his own sword.
- Killed Off for Real/Kill the Cutie: She's too cute for this Crapsack World.
- Mercy Kill: When the first signs of her turning into a Gastrea shows up in her severed arm, she begs Rentaro to let her die as a human. Unfortunately all he could do was kill her quickly to avoid having her become a Gastrea.
- One-Man Army: She's actually quite strong enough to fend off multiple Gastrea in an area. Unfortunately, the Gastrea virus in her body overwhelmed her and she started slowly to become the Gastrea.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Her primary weapon.
- The Smart Girl
- Smarter Than She Looks: Subverted, she's quite smart, but she's unable to identify the stages of the Gastrea virus. A bit justified there though, she's just a kid.
- These Hands Have Killed: When hunting for Kagetane, she tells Rentaro that she was ordered by Shougen to kill another pair hunting the former because the latter didn't want to share the reward with anyone else. She mentions shaking in her hands as she did it, but says she'll get over that. Rentaro immediately tells her that she should never take killing someone so lightly, because otherwise they'll get used to it. While she says she could come up with reasons against that, she also tells him that she believes him.
- The Stoic: She isn't overly emotional even when the Gastrea virus in her body was slowly consuming her.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth
- Wise Beyond Her Years
One of the four sages who was part of the Mechanized Soldier Plan American Division, "NEXT." He breached the agreement between the four sages and used healthy cursed children to create mechanized Initiators, "HYBRID." He sent Tina Sprout to assassinate Seitenshi.
- Big Bad: In volume 2.
- Jerkass: He virtually does not care about Tina's safety and well-being and even tells her that if she fails to kill Seitenshi a final time, to kill herself.
- Meaningful Name: He shares the same name with a libertarian philosopher, Ayn Rand, who was well-known as the mother of Objectivism. Objectivism is known to have similar philosophical tenents of Existentialism, except Objectivism rejects subjectivism (which is one of the important tenets and themes of existentialism) and rejects the notion of "happiness for the greater good" as a purpose of life. This series is known to have strong existentialist philosophical themes and Rentaro happens to be a utilitarian.
- The Unseen: The readers do not know who he looks like. We only know him through the phone calls with Tina.
She's the Student Council President
at Rentaro's school, and the daughter of the president of the company that sponsors Rentaro and provides him and Enju with equipment to fight the Gastrea with in exchange for the publicity when they use said items.
- Action Girl: She knows how to fight just like Kisara, though their Cat Fight in episode 5 isn't seen directly. Instead the outside of Rentaro's apartment is shown, along with some bulletholes. Later the lights go out and Rentaro laments that he won't get his security deposit back now due to the damage the two girls caused.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She butts heads with Kisara regarding Rentaro, since both of them like him, and hate each other as a result of it. Hilariously, when Kisara draws her blade at Miori, both Rentaro and Enju don't stop them. Rather, they just pick up the table with all the food and move it out of the living room so the two girls can duke it out.
- Combat Hand Fan: The fan she carries around is also used for combative purposes.
- Kimono Is Traditional: Always wears a kimono no matter how impractical it is in combat.
- Mission Control: She does this for Rentaro and the others fighting against the Gastrea in episode 12 and 13.
- The Rival: To Kisara.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: When Rentaro needs weapons, she's more than happy to provide him with them. Of course she often does it with the intention of luring him over to her and away from Kisara, which frustrates the latter to no ends.
- Smarter Than She Looks: She appears to be The Ditz at first, but she's actually quite smart, and certainly knows how to press Kisara's Berserk Button when it comes to Rentaro.
- Student Council President: At Magata High School, where Rentaro attends when he's not fighting Gastrea.
- The Tease: She enjoys doing this to Rentaro, especially if Kisara is around to watch it.
Senior disciple of the Tendo style martial arts, Rentaro's senior and old friend. Joined Rentaro's team during the battle against Aldebaran's army.
- Bad Ass: He punches an initiator quite some distance away when he's forced to fight an angry civil officer. His initiator Midori slashes the guy's assault rifle to pieces in one swift attack. Rentaro also respected him as a good fighter prior to him leaving the dojo they both trained at.
- Empty Shell: Was this after he was kicked out of the dojo and before meeting Midori.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He sacrificed himself to activate the bomb buried into Aldebaran, resulting in him and Aldebaran to get blown to pieces.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Nice Guy: While he's introduced fighting another civil officer, he's actually quite a nice guy. Even Rentaro seems to have gotten along with him before he left the dojo they trained together at.
- Not Quite Dead: He was retrieved by Sogen's organization, but he lost all of his limbs, hair and 70% his body was covered burnt.
- Real Men Dont Cry: Though his words shake and he's clearly upset, he doesn't shed a single tear when Midori dies.
- Sempai/Kohai: Rentaro and Kisara both think of him as a Sempai and look up to him.
- The Stoic
- We Hardly Knew Ye: In the anime at least, he doesn't have a lot of screen time. Fortunately he's one of the good guys, and both Rentaro and Kisara respect him highly despite him leaving the dojo a short while back due to him working on an unconventional fighting move.
Nagisawa's initiator, model cat, a timid girl. She joined Rentaro's team along with Nagisawa during the battle against Aldebaran's army
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Well, it's her claws, but she does cut an assault rifle into pieces when she slashes it with them.
- Badass Adorable: As with any other cursed child loli working as an initiator. Heck, she even spots cute cat ears and is a Model Cat Initiator as well.
- Boom, Headshot: Suffers this fate when she shoots herself in the head in a remote area to avoid burdening the surviving Security officers in episode 12.
- Braids of Action
- Cat Girl: Doesn't have the tail (which Enju and Yuzuki attempted to confirm by pulling her skirt down), but does sport some cat ears, which she hides under her witch hat.
- Cute Bruiser: As with many cursed children working as Initiator. Heck she even destroyed a criminal's assault rifle and avoided all bullets without a single scratch.
- Driven to Suicide: During the second battle she was caught off guard and injected with large amount of Gastrea virus. This lowered her lifespan to a month and paralyzed her body. Not wanting to be a burden to everyone she left and killed herself under a tree.
- Go Out with a Smile: She has a smile on her face after she dies.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Shoma mentions to Rentaro in episode 12 that she risked her life attempting to save an Initiator she didn't know, and was injected with a lot of the Gastrea virus as a result. She then kills herself to avoid being a burden to Rentaro and Shoma, since she was bedridden and likely not to survive much longer anyway.
- Nice Girl: Midori happens to be a very friendly girl at heart.
- Nice Hat: Used to hide her cat ears.
- Shrinking Violet: She is very shy and doesn't speak too loudly around others.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Like Kayo, the fact that she happens to be a good person at heart makes her death tearjerking.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Suffers this fate similarly to Kayo. She's introduced and given some brief characterization, then suffers a debilitating attack by the Gastrea which cripples her body and greatly shortens her lifespan as a result. She then kills herself to avoid being a burden to Rentaro and Shoma since she was unable to fight or even move around much.
- Wolverine Claws: From her fingernails to be exact.
President of Civil Security. Joins Rentaro's Group during the Third Kanto War.
Tamaki's Initiator and younger sister, a model spider. She joined Rentaro along with Tamaki for the Third Kanto War.
Voiced by Subaru Kimura
One of Seitenshi's bodyguards, mostly seen in episodes 5-7 and volume 2 of the light novel.
- Asshole Victim: Due to the terrible treatment he gives Rentaro and Tina, it's not likely anyone would object to the way Rentaro pays him back in episode 7.
- Ax-Crazy: He develops this look in episode 7 after shooting Tina.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He's smart enough to realize the one non-varanium bullet he put in Tina's abdomen isn't enough to kill her, and wonders how many lead bullets it would take to kill her. Seitenshi stops him from testing that theory out however.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He's rather angry that Rentaro was offered a bodyguard job by Seitenshi in episode 5. While Rentaro was debating whether to take the job, Takuto threatens him not to, which then causes the former to accept it after all.
- Fingore: His finger is shot off by an angry Rentaro after Seitenshi gives him a Field Promotion, allowing the latter to outrank him.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: He at first seems to be a reasonable person, greeting Rentaro normally when they first meet. However, shortly after this, he shows the other side of his personality, and is quite the Jerk Ass about Rentaro even being offered the mission in the first place.
- Jerkass: He was pretty much an asshole. Heck, he even shot Tina as well.
- The Mole: Rentaro suspects he was one in episode 7, after Takuto tells him they came up with a route to take Seitenshi to her latest meeting to avoid ambush spots like before. Tina later calls Rentaro to let him know that said route she got from her master seems oddly strange in that there's one spot she could easily fire at Seitenshi from. Tina later gets shot by Takuto, who then mentions that Seitenshi was taken to the meeting without incident, and seemed to know where she and Rentaro were at. In the end though Rentaro wasn't able to fit enough pieces of the puzzle together to determine this.
- Scary Teeth: He displays some in episode 7 to go with his Ax-Crazy look.
- Why Don't Ya Just Shoot Him?: Averted, he does shoot Tina after Rentaro stops her in episode 7. He then wonders how many lead bullets it would take to kill her since he didn't have any varanium bullets on him.
- Would Hurt a Child: Attempted to kill Tina even though he knows that normal bullets are ineffective against cursed children.
Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu
One of Kisara's older brothers and a politician. He conspired with his three other brothers and Kikunojou against Kisara's parents and is responsible for the money embezzlement during the construction for one of the monoliths that lead to the endangerment of millions of lives in Tokyo. He was killed by Kisara in a duel.
- Ambition Is Evil: He embezzled the monolith construction money so that he can hold a political position in Tokyo.
- Asshole Victim: He pretty deserved to be killed, seeing that he's not only responsible for Kisara's parents deaths, but also the endangerment of millions of lives.
- Blade on a Stick: Uses this as a weapon during the duel between Kisara.
- Corrupt Politician/Sleazy Politician: Easily fits into this description. He was responsible for the death of his and Kisara's parents. And later he embezzled money by using substandard materials to create the Monolith that collapsed with, and pocketing the money in hopes of getting enough money to buy influence and get elected. Kisara puts a stop to that when she kills him.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- It's All About Me: Doesn't care what happens to anyone, so long as he can get a lot of money, and get elected as a politician. Kisara puts an end to that when she kills him for his actions.
- Jerkass: He's not only responsible for Kisara's parents deaths, he also placed millions of lives at risk for his personal selfish gains.
- Karma Houdini: Averted. Kisara kills him, though Rentaro fears she may be going down a slippery slope.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: We barely know who he is across from the fact that he's a Corrupt Politician prick.
The stage 4 Gastrea that attacked Tokyo area during volume 3 and 4. It was the former right hand to the stage 5 Taurus before Taurus was killed.
- The Dreaded: Due to being extremely hard to kill, it earns this reputation when people hear that it's approaching.
- :Healing Factor: Aldebaran has one of the strongest healing ability shown in the series, as long as its body is not completely destroyed, it can come back to life no matter what damage it sustained.
- Point Defenseless: It launches some spikes out of its back at Rentaro as he closes in on it. Like the trope implies, they aren't very effective against him.
- Superpower Lottery: It is hard to kill, it can release pheromones to control an army of Gastrea, it can corrode Varanium and it is larger and stronger than most stage 4 Gastrea. This is why it's The Dreaded when it shows up after the monolith breach.
- Knight of Cerebus: Just when you are wondering why humans are so afraid of Gastrea, this thing shows up and explains it in action and drag the tone of the novel further in to darkness.
The stage 5 Gastrea that appeared in volume 1.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: It appeared only briefly before getting killed by the ladder to heaven.
One of the stage 5 Gastrea and leader of the famous Taurus army. It and it's army destroyed many cities in the Middle East and Africa, but was eventually defeated by the IP 1 promoter pair. After it's death it's army scattered ending the threat of Taurus
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Got killed before the serie started by IP 1 combo
- The Dreaded: Before it got taken down by the IP 1 combo, any city that was on it and it's armies path was destroyed. No survivor was ever found.
Sagittarius One of the stage 5 Gastrea, it was mentioned in vol 7
One of the stage 5 Gastrea, it was showed up in vol 7 and appeared near the Sendai area.
- Plague Master: It have the ability to create different types of air borne diseases, this troublesome ability caused large amount of death during the Gastrea war.