- Complete Monster: Khuligan the Brutal is a Giant raider living in the Moroz Valley region who has terrorized it for years. Extorting the settlers of the region even if it'd condemn them to a slow death by starvation, any village that can't pay his toll would be destroyed. While eating some, he would choose victims at random, even smaller Giants, and slowly crush them to paste under his hooves or dismember them with his teeth—or worse; he was previously exiled from his homeland for similar brutality. When the town of Moroz defies him, he amasses a huge raiding party to raze the entire valley to the ground out of petty spite.
- Iron Woobie:
- Crystal Prism was once a unicorn colt named Page Wheel until a chance encounter with Midnight Bell later got him kidnapped and experimented on by morally bankrupt individuals, who wanted to turn him into an Alicorn of Change and Rebirth. He became a rampaging, magic-eating monster instead, but ironically, he would become an Alicorn demigod thanks to the magic he devoured after being killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses. Understandably, Crystal Prism's experiences were so traumatic that his life afterward was a massive ordeal, and at one point, felt resigned to being the herald of a "new age" for Ponykind because it's the only life he has left post-Ascension. But thanks to therapeutic help from Mentálne and the encouragement from individuals like Golden Scepter to forge his own destiny, Crystal Prism instead chose to dedicate his life to promoting Change and Rebirth by helping others and doing other heroic deeds even as he recovers from his trauma.
- Golden Scepter is a very powerful and ancient Alicorn god with an utterly Dark and Troubled Past. He is a Shell-Shocked Veteran from the "Twilight of the Alicorns", a brutal civil war that took away many of his friends and loved ones. However, Golden Scepter's PTSD and other issues didn't become apparent until he founded the Imperium of Ponykind, where they brought out many of his worst traits and deeply affected his judgment so much that a slew of terrible mistakes ultimately got him sealed away, while his Imperium crumbled and collapsed. When Golden Scepter reemerged in the Second Age, he was still essentially a broken stallion, but what prevented him from breaking completely was the influence of Luminiferous and Queen Dazzleglow and his desire to redeem himself for his sins and break free from his past. Even in the Fourth Age, after losing his mortal wife to old age and having to deal problems caused by the various flaws of his nineteen demi-divine sons, Golden Scepter still manages to be a highly beloved ruler and a good parent to his children because he desires to do right by those who love and care for him. Receiving therapeutic help from Mentálne helped as well.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap:
- This fanfic's version of Cosmos is considered by many readers to be a vast improvement over her comic counterpart, due to having a far more unique character, not taking away from Discord, and having an understanding, somewhat sympathetic backstory.
- Likewise, the Codexverse version of Prince Blueblood is made much more competent and badass, being the supreme Commander of one of Equestria's three military branches as well as a skilled water mage. He's also given legitimate reasons as to why he behaved like a Jerkass to Rarity during the Grand Galloping Gala - he was once a compassionate Wide-Eyed Idealist who believed he could use his power and position to help Equestria. But years of dealing with an arrogant, complacent, greedy, tribalist, and obstructive nobility that would block his reforms at every turn, combined with being the target of gold-digging socialites who only wanted him for his wealth and titles and getting into messy breakups and scandals because of them, wore away at his idealism until he decided to become just like the nobles he despised in order to get stuff done and keep selfish mares away from him... even though he's deeply hurt by the public's bad opinions of him and wishes there was another way. Fortunately, the birth/Ascension of his "son", Prince Léon, seems to be working on getting his old self back.
YMMV / Codex Equus