Hear me! O, Heroic Spirits, mighty warriors who have gathered here. Though we may be rivals, we must stand together now.
My True Name is Jeanne d'Arc. In the name of our Lord, I shall become your shield! This battle will be a long journey that takes us back through human history. However, there is no need for despair. There are thousands of encounters waiting for you.
Even if this entire planet becomes a battleground for the Holy Grail War. Even if everything on this land turns into eternal ruinous grounds. Even if powerful enemies await us at the end of our journey... Our fate has not yet been decided. So, let the battle begin, Master.
Fate/Grand Order is a mobile phone game entry in the Fate franchise, developed jointly by Type-Moon and mobile company DelightWorks and published in cooperation with Aniplex, as part of the larger Nasuverse. It is a re-imagining of the original Fate/Apocrypha game project, before it became a novel series, and takes place in a somewhat alternate timeline to the main Fate/stay night game. As a result, characters from all over the Fate Series make an appearance here.
It was released on Android on July 25, 2015, and iOS during August of the same year. An English version was announced in April 2017 and launched in the United States on June 25, 2017, later becoming available in Australia and Southeast Asia. The game has also been released in China, Taiwan, and South Korea.
Gameplay revolves around fielding teams of units called Servants, based on historical figures from fantasy and real life. Three can be on the field at any time, and the game lets you create teams of up to five units (plus one support borrowed from another player). Each Servant has their own stats and skills based on their real-life deeds, which are manifested in-game as abilities. They also come with five attacks known as Command Cards that are shuffled into a deck of fifteen and are redistributed at the beginning of your turn, forcing you to choose three of the five distributed cards to attack. The cards are as follows:
- Buster: High damage cards that create few Crit stars but build no NP.
- Arts: Middle damage cards that build lots of NP but create no crit stars.
- Quick: Low damage cards that create lots of Crit Stars and build little NP.
Other mechanics include Chains, whereby selecting three cards of the same category adds a new effect based on the selected card, Crit Stars that calculate your percentage for a Critical Hit, and your Noble Phantasm, a powerful Limit Break unique to every servant.
The Chaldea Security Organization is a secret organization dedicated to the preservation of the human race. With the intellectual and financial resources of the world behind them, Chaldea has melded technology and magecraft into the creation of numerous tools to aid in their mission; most notably the Global Environmental Model "CHALDEAS", an omniscient and complete simulation of Earth's past, present, and future. However, one day it suddenly becomes impossible to view more than one year into the future predicted by CHALDEAS, and the leaders of Chaldea conclude that humanity will soon face an impossible and unknown extinction event. Their researchers pinpoint the cause to a distortion within the space-time continuum, located in the Japanese city of Fuyuki in the year 2004. Chaldea gathers a number of candidates capable of using the Guardian Heroic Spirit Summoning System "FATE", a system that summons and weaponizes the legends of great historical, mythological and fictional figures as "Servants". Their mission is to go into the past and stop the space-time distortion at its source by utilizing an experimental form of Time Travel developed by Chaldea, with the aid of FATE and their Servants.
Yet the secret lying within Fuyuki in the year 2004 is only the first step in a new Grand Order that sees you travelling across time and space, teaming up with (and against) the living legends of human history to fix the distortions warping the events of the past, and save the future.
The various Holy Grail War singularities of the first arc, Observer on Timeless Temple, are:
- Singularity F: AD 2004 - The Flame Contaminated City, Fuyuki - "Prologue"
- Humanity Foundation Value: C
- Location: Fuyuki, Japan
- As Chaldea prepares to target the cause of distortion within the space-time continuum, located in the Japanese city of Fuyuki in the year 2004, they are bombed, leaving only one magus and a Demi-Servant Shielder to Rayshift into an alternate Fuyuki, Japan, where the events of the Fifth Holy Grail War have gone terribly wrong and the never-ending flames burn the desolate city to the ground as Shadows Servants seek the Holy Grail guarded by Saber (Alter). Now teaming up with Chaldea's director Olga Marie Animusphere and the only surviving Servant Caster, the Greatest Holy Grail War begins.
- First Singularity: AD 1431 - Hundred Years' War of the Evil Dragons, Orleans - "Holy Maiden of Salvation"
- Humanity Foundation Value: C+
- Location: France
- Chaldea arrives in France during the Hundred Years War, only to find the nation on the verge of defeat against an army of dragons led by an insane blackguard called "Jeanne d'Arc". They must join forces with the real Jeanne d'Arc, and other Servants that wish to protect and unite the country, before it is wiped out by the wrathful Dragon Witch and her Berserk Servants.
- Released with the game on July 29, 2015[JP]/June 25, 2017[NA].
- Second Singularity: AD 0060 - Eternal Madness Empire, Septem - "Emperor of Rose"
- Humanity Foundation Value: B+
- Location: Roman Empire
- Taking place during the second half of the Roman Empire's rule in the Mediterranean, Chaldea works with the Fifth Emperor Nero Claudius to save Rome from a deluge of madness sweeping the countryside, caused by a new empire led by past Roman Kings. Little do they know, a familiar face manipulating from the shadows would being to reveal Chaldea's true enemy.
- Released with the game on July 29, 2015[JP]/June 25, 2017[NA].
- Third Singularity: AD 1573 - Sealed Ends of the Four Seas, Okeanos - "Voyager of the Storm"
- Humanity Foundation Value: A
- Location: Atlantic Ocean
- Joining forces with the legendary privateer Francis Drake, Chaldea embarks on a treasure hunt for the Holy Grail on the Atlantic Ocean that has been transformed into an endless seascape, making it impossible to achieve the circumnavigation of Earth. Together, they must uncover the source of the Sealed Ends while facing fearsome pirates and the ancient Argonauts. At the eye of the storm, a new clue may guide the crew to the mastermind behind it all.
- Released on November 05, 2015[JP]/September 28, 2017[NA].
- Fourth Singularity: AD 1888 - The Mist City, London - "Londinium Knight"
- Humanity Foundation Value: A-
- Location: London, England
- Chaldea arrives in London during the Second Industrial Revolution, discovering that the entire city has been choked by a poisonous fog inhabited by mechanical sentinels. Assisting their search for the truth is Mordred, the infamous Knight of Betrayal most known for killing his father, King Arthur, Dr. Henry Jekyll, a gentleman doctor with a twisted personality, and Frankenstein, the artificial patchwork human created by Mad Scientist Victor Frankenstein. But beyond the demonic fog, will the truth bring hope, or despair?
- Released on December 28, 2015[JP]/December 18, 2017[NA].
- Fifth Singularity: AD 1783 - North American Myth War, E Pluribus Unum - "Steel Robe"
- Humanity Foundation Value: A+
- Location: North America
- The American War of Independence has been thrown off-course by the arrival of an endless army of Celts. In response, the American armies have begun fielding mass-produced troops from another time era. Chaldea joins forces with the headstrong nurse Nightingale and the proud warrior Rama along with a resistance to stop the war at its roots: American President Thomas Edison; and the Celtic Queen Medb and her "perfect king", Cu Chulainn.
- Released on March 30, 2016[JP]/March 14, 2018[NA].
- Sixth Singularity: AD 1273 - Divine Realm of the Round Table, Camelot - "The Shining Airgetlám"
- Humanity Foundation Value: EX
- Location: The Holy Land
- Chaldea's journey to Jerusalem in the 13th century takes an unexpected turn when they find a world so diverged from human history that it threatens to tear away from the fabric of reality itself. At the center of this apocalyptic landscape lies a shining walled "utopia" of Camelot, ruled by the Knights of the Round Table and their god-like monarch, King Arthur. In order to right this divergence, Chaldea allies itself with numerous Hassans, a monk who traveled too far west, and a mysterious knight with a silver arm.
- Released on July 25, 2016[JP]/June 28, 2018[NA].
- Seventh Singularity: BC 2655 - Absolute Demonic Front, Babylonia - "Chain of the Heavens"
- Humanity Foundation Value: A++
- Location: Sumer, Mesopotamia
- At the dawn of human civilization in Babylonia, Chaldea allies with a calmer and wiser version of Gilgamesh, the King of Spartans, a feared commander and her attendant, a warrior monk, to save his kingdom from a seemingly never-ending tide of demonic horrors and an alliance of vengeful goddesses. But at the dusk of the war, will humanity finally overcome the despair or meet Childhood's End?
- Released on December 07, 2016[JP]/December 05, 2018[NA].
- Final Singularity - AD 201Xnote : The Grand Temple of Time, Solomon - "The Rain of Stars"
- Humanity Foundation Value: n/a
- Location: Ars Paulina, Imaginary Number Space
- With the past, present, and future of humanity at stake, Chaldea fights in its Darkest Hour against the mastermind of the seven Singularities, within their workshop within the Imaginary Number Space. In the end, sacrifices must be made to restore the history that was lost, but when all is said and done, what lays beyond?
- Released on December 22, 2016[JP]/December 20, 2018[NA].
An interim storyline/mini-expansion, titled Epic of Remnant, bridging Part One of the game (the singularities & the fight against their creator) with Part Two was announced on New Year's Day 2017 and went live later that year. Watch the PV here.
After resolving the world-ending crisis, throughout the following year, several smaller crises pop up, each one threatening to destabilize the world if left unchecked. With Chaldea the only group currently capable of resolving these problems, they once again travel through time to find them and preserve the timeline. There are four chapters (and one extra):
- Pseudo-Singularity I: AD 1999 - Quarantined Territory of Malice, Shinjuku - "Shinjuku Phantom Incident"
- Location: Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
- Set in a corrupted version of the Japanese district of Shinjuku, sealed away from time and space except for those of the Evil Alignment, the protagonist literally drops into the walled-off Wretched Hive and must ally with several Anti-Hero figures in a dangerous game, assisted by an amnesiac Archer that appears in the form of an old man as the sinister Phantasmal Fiend Alliance puts their plans in action.
- Released on February 24, 2017[JP]/February 24, 2019[NA].
- Pseudo-Singularity Extra: AD 2030 - Abyssal Cyber Paradise, SE.RA.PH
- Fake Title: "BB Strikes Back: Let's meet in the Digital Sea!"
- Location: Seraphix, Mariana Trench
- A bonus story where a far-off oil rig seems to have been transported to twenty years in the future - and into the Mariana Trench. A suspicious AI claims she can assist Chaldea to Rayshift there but interferes with the process and welcomes the protagonist to SE.RA.PH, a digital world where the strong eliminate the weak. Separated from their Servants, the protagonist must put their trust in a prideful Alter Ego named Meltryllis as they try to unravel the truth of what happened on the oil rig amidst a battle royale and a new threat waiting to rise.
- Event lasted from May 01, 2017 to May 24, 2017[JP]/April 23, 2019 to May 15, 2019[NA].
- Pseudo-Singularity II: AD 2000 - Subterranean World of Folklore, Agartha - "Women of Agartha"
- Location: Central Asia
- A mysterious underground world consisting of several different fantastical cities has appeared underneath the Earth's surface in time with several of Chaldea's Servants going missing, and it's up to Chaldea to infiltrate it and find out what happened to them. Once there, they discover these lands are ruled by female tyrants who enslave any and all men they can find to their own views of dominance, and they find themselves joining forces with a young Fergus mac Róich, an amnesiac old Rider, and a death-fearing Caster to liberate the lands.
- Released on June 29, 2017[JP]/June 21, 2019[NA].
- Pseudo-Singularity III (Pseudo Parallel World): Kan'ei 16 (AD 1639) - The Stage of Carnage, Shimousa - "Seven Duels of Swordmasters"
- Location: Shimousa Province, Japan
- The protagonist dreams of an alternate reality where the Japanese province of Shimousa has fallen under a tide of bloodshed. The protagonist's only way out is through several duels with crazed Japanese warriors and their only help is Miyamoto Musashi, a legendary swords...woman?
- Released on October 14, 2017[JP]/October 10, 2019[NA].
- Pseudo-Singularity IV: AD 1692 - Forbidden Advent Garden, Salem - "Heretical Salem"
- Location: Salem, Massachusetts
- An impenetrable black expanse has emerged in Massachusetts with the legendary Salem witch hunts awaiting inside; the protagonist must survive its horrific violence and learn the secrets of Abigail Williams, a young girl who seemingly has ties to powers far beyond her comprehension.
- Released on November 29, 2017[JP]/December 2, 2019[NA].
The second storyline of Fate/Grand Order, Cosmos in the Lostbelt, officially launched on December 26, 2017. Watch the trailer here.
Two years after the beginning of Observer on Timeless Temple, the destruction of the Singularities has set the stage for a new and powerful enemy to make its move upon Earth. Forces from vanquished timelines of human history, where requisite conditions were not met, have emerged to seize what was denied to them. Heading this invasion are the Crypters: a group of seven elite Chaldea Master candidates who vanished under mysterious circumstances from the observatory.
They quickly isolate Earth from the rest of time and space, and transform it into a blank slate upon which a new timeline can be built, erasing the Proper Human History which all timelines derive from. Upon this empty world lie seven "Lostbelts": a closed world born from a lost possibility of history where humankind reached a developmental dead end. Each Lostbelt is controlled and nurtured by a Crypter, with whoever expanding their Lostbelt the furthest winning the right to have their ideal world become the new reality.
The only hope for humanity lies with the remaining heroes of Chaldea, who manage to escape in a cool Base on Wheels, and must infiltrate and destroy the Lostbelts before the Earth is completely consumed.
- Prologue/December 26, 201X
- Location: Chaldea, Antarctica
- Crypter: Kadoc Zemlupus
- Lostbelt King: N/A
- Following the Salem incident, with seemingly no more enemies to fight and Singularities to fix, Chaldea is shut down, with the Servants sent back to the Throne of Heroes. As everyone gets ready for a shift in managers however, they are suddenly attacked by beings in black cloaks led by a mysterious princess, who brings shadow, ice, and despair to Chaldea. Outnumbered and down to eleven members, the survivors must flee, and head onwards to an unexpected journey into strange new worlds.
- The first chapter was released on December 26, 2017[JP]/2019[NA], and the rest was unlocked on December 31, 2017[JP]/2019[NA].
- Lostbelt No. 1: AD 1570? - Permafrost Empire, Anastasia - "The Grand Duchess of the Beast Nation"
- Crypter: Kadoc Zemlupus
- Location: Russia
- Lostbelt King: Ivan the Terrible
- Difference Depth: D
- Three months after the assault on Chaldea, the protagonists trace their only lead to Russia, finding a world locked in permanent winter and inhabited solely by wolf people. There, they hope to confront the one responsible for attacking Chaldea: the princess Anastasia and her endless army of Oprichniki. Instead, with the help of a golem-making mage, a wild west outlaw, a dragon-slaying king, a rebel leader tainted with grief, and a Yaga who's just trying to make it through the day in the never-ending Ice Age, we learn that the war of survival is far more grey than previously believed.
- Released on April 04, 2018[JP]/March 27, 2020[NA].
- Lostbelt No. 2: BC 1000? - The Eternal Icy Fire Century, Götterdämmerung - "The Jolly Fellow of Everlasting Flame"
- Crypter: Ophelia Phamrsolone
- Location: Scandinavia
- Lostbelt King: Scáthach-Skaði
- Difference Depth: B+
- Chaldea receives a transmission instructing them to find the Beldanders of the "Wandering Sea" organization: one of the three pillars of Magus society and the most elusive, as they have long sequestered themselves on a floating island where they devoutly study the Age of Gods. As Chaldea arrives in Scandinavia, they are enveloped in a Lostbelt where the events of Ragnarok have created a world in which humanity exists as cattle to feed the Jötunn, under the command of Skadi and her Valkyries. Teaming up with a hot-blooded gentleman Servant, they must overcome the Jötunn, the Valkyries, and a mysterious masked Saber to bring an end to the endless burning winter.
- Released on July 18, 2018[JP].
- Lostbelt No. 3: BC 210? - The Nation of Unified Human Intellect, S.I.N. (Synchronized Intellect Nation) - "The Crimson Beauty under the Moon"
- Crypter: Hinako Akuta
- Location: China
- Lostbelt King: Shi Huang Di
- Difference Depth: E
- Chaldea falls victim to an assassination attempt using a poison that does not exist in the present day. Their search for a cure leads them to the Lostbelt in China: a world of vast rice fields where peace has reigned for centuries, and strife, sadness, and cruelty are unknown to its inhabitants. Now, they must team up with three of the most infamous rebels in history to save themselves from the poison and prove to its Emperor and its advanced civilization that the Proper Human History deserves to live.
- Released on November 27, 2018[JP].
- Tokugawa's World-Changing Labyrinth: Inner Chambers
- Location: Edo, Japan
- While getting ready for the Atlantic Lostbelt, the protagonist, Mash, and Sion soon find themselves alone with a former nemesis. With the help of Pavarti, they soon find themselves in Feudal Japan under the domain of the Tokugawa Shogunate, where they find that the royal chambers have been turned into a massive multi-layered labyrinth filled with debauchery that seems to go on forever, with something even darker lurking within. (This event serves as a surprise prequel to Yuga Kshetra.)
- Event lasted from March 27, 2019 to April 10, 2019 [JP].
- Lostbelt No. 4: 11900? Deva Vatsara - Samsāra of Genesis and Terminus, Yuga Kshetra - "The Final Dark God"
- Crypter: Scandinavia Peperoncino
- Location: India
- Lostbelt King: Arjuna Over Gods
- Difference Depth: A
- Following the manifestation of a Beast, Chaldea travels to the Lostbelt in India to acquire an upgrade for the Shadow Border. There they discover that the last remaining member of the Indian pantheon has locked the Lostbelt in an endless ten-day cycle of death and rebirth, in which "undesirable" elements of the world are gradually purged from existence. Realizing they are outmatched by its Lostbelt King, they are forced to team up with Crypter Scandinavia Peperoncino, who also seeks to take down the mad god.
- Released on June 15, 2019[JP].
- Lostbelt No. 5 (A): BC 12000? - Ancestral Ocean of the Great Gods, Atlantis - "The Day to Bring Down Gods"
- Crypter: Kirschtaria Wodime
- Location: Atlantis, Atlantic Ocean
- Lostbelt King (False): Odysseus
- Difference Depth: A+
- The time has come for Chaldea to target the Atlantic Lostbelt, which covers over 50% of the Earth's surface. Following an ambush that leaves them stranded in within the Atlantis archipelago of the Lostbelt, they must navigate a world where Mystics govern the laws of reality instead of Physics, the Gods reside in the heavens, and Phantasmal creatures roam the Earth freely. Now, they must recruit the leftover Servants to bolster their ranks, including a very lucky Assassin, the most successful pirate in the Golden Age of Piracy, a little-known king, The Trojan Prince, the nearly invincible demigod hero, a serpentine miko, the (in)famous leader of the Argonauts, and a hunter with relationship problems, to shoot down the Gods who rule the Ancestral Ocean. (This Lostbelt chapter is so long that it is split into two parts.)
- Released on December 18, 2019[JP].
- Lostbelt No. 5 (B): BC 12000? - Interstellar Mountainous City, Olympus - "The Day to Bring Down Gods"
- Crypter: Kirschtaria Wodime
- Location: Olympus, Atlantic Ocean
- Lostbelt King: Zeus
- Difference Depth: A+
- Having survived the trials and struggles of the Atlantic, a weary Chaldea finds themselves with little time to rest as they now must regroup with the remaining Servant Resistance and a certain dimension-traveling swordswoman to challenge the remaining Greek Gods in the center of their power of Olympus, a vast utopia of the heavens, as well as face the leader of the Crypters, Kirschtaria Wodime, and the king of the Olympians, Zeus, once and for all for the apparent fate of the world. And yet, with the Tree of Emptiness ready to bloom and the descent of the mysterious Foreign God nigh upon them, will they be able to face the revelation of their foe's identity? (This Lostbelt chapter is the conclusion of Lostbelt No.5.)
- Released on April 9, 2020[JP].
- Lostbelt No. 6: AD 500? - [????] Round Table Domain, [????] - "The Moment a Planet Is Born"
- Crypter: Beryl Gut
- Difference Depth: EX
- Lostbelt No. 7: BC [????] - [????] Sea of Trees, [????] - "[????]"
- Crypter: Daybit Sem Void
- Difference Depth: A++
An anime adaptation, Fate/Grand Order -First Order-, produced by Lay-duce, featuring the male protagonist and Mash as main characters, premiered December 31, 2016. It also went up on Crunchyroll the same day for U.S. viewers and on AnimeLab for those in Australia and New Zealand on January 1, 2017. Aniplex USA has licensed and produced an English dub for it. More anime was released a year later with a crossover special with Fate/school life done by ufotable and an original OVA written by Nasu, Fate/Grand Order -Moonlight/Lost Room-, done by Lay-duce. For the game's third anniversary in 2018, a TV anime series adaptation of the Babylonia chapter called Fate/Grand Order - Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia by CloverWorks, a sub-studio of A-1 Pictures, and a two-part anime movie adaptation of the Camelot chapter called Fate/Grand Order - Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot by Production I.G were announced, with Babylonia getting a 21-episode run in October 2019, and the first part of Camelot, Wandering; Agateram, due to be released in August 2020. On March 2020, an anime adaptation of the Grand Temple of Time Solomon story titled Fate/Grand Order - Final Singularity The Grand Temple of Time Solomon was announced, with the staff from Babylonia returning as the producers.
A musical stage adaptation of the Camelot chapter, Fate/Grand Order -The Stage-: Territory of the Holy Round Table - Camelot - Replica;Airgetlám, was announced in April 2017 and ran in Tokyo from July 14 to July 17, with performances featuring either the male or female protagonist. A musical stage adaptation of the Babylonia chapter, Fate/Grand Order -The Stage-: Order VII - The Absolute Frontline in the War Against the Demonic Beasts - Babylonia, was announced in October 2018 for two runs in 2019, first in Osaka from January 11 to January 14, then in Tokyo from January 19 to January 27, again featuring either the male or female protagonist in a performance.
Two different manga adaptations of Observer on Timeless Temple have been released, -mortalis:stella- and -turas:realta-, featuring the male protagonist. Each manga alternates between different Singularities, with the former focusing on chapters two, four, and six, and the latter focusing on chapters three, five, and seven. Each part of Epic of Remnant has its own manga adaptation, with I and II featuring the male protagonist and III and IV the female protagonist, the first manga adaptations to do so outside Learning with Manga. The manga adaptation focusing on the CCC crossover portion of EoR, featuring the male protagonist, released alongside the event's rerun in February 2019. There are also several official manga anthology series and single-volume anthologies. Kodansha Comics acquired the English-language license for -mortalis:stella-, releasing it in September 2019.
Light novels by Ban Madoi adapting his two mystery events, "Murder at the Kogetsukan" and "A Study at the Meihou Manor", were published on May 23rd, 2019. There's also an anthology series of mystery short stories.
There is an online gag manga by Riyo, Learning with Manga! FGO, which is ostensibly about teaching new players the ropes of the game but is mostly about the female protagonist's hijinks and poking fun at the game. It can be read here. A 15-minute anime adaptation aired on December 31, 2018 as part of the "Fate Project New Years Eve TV Special". There is also Fate/Gudaguda Order, a comic strip made to promote the game before release by keikenchi, known to Type-Moon fans for his work in Koha-Ace. It can be read here. Another online manga is Oshiete FGO! Ijin to Shinwa no Grand Order (English: Teach Us FGO! Great Men and Myths of Grand Order) by Yuu Tsurusaki, which features the male protagonist learning about the real-world stories and histories behind various Servants. The original comics can be found here; unlike the other webcomics, there's no official English translation.
Type-Moon's web magazine TYPE-MOON Comic Ace features two more online manga: Eirei Shokubunroku (English: The Heroic Spirit Food Chronicles), by Makoto Tokoma, is a Spiritual Successor to Today's Menu for Emiya Family, featuring the FGO Servants cooking meals from across history, with the original manga available here, and From Lostbelt, by Nakatani, is a series of side stories about the Crypters, with the original manga available here. Neither has an official English translation.
A board game, Fate/Grand Order Duel, was announced in March 2018 and came out in August. There is a Duel manga by Eiichiro Mashin featuring the female protagonist.