Freak o' Lantern is a 2013 flash game from Evil-Dog, with art by SickDeathFiend, the same team behind Road of the Dead.
It's Halloween, and a mutant creature has escaped from the custody of his abusive mother. Now he's loose, and he's hungry ... for candy.
Tropes featured in this game:
- Abusive Parents: The whole plot of the game is the Freak escaping his abusive mother to hoard as much candy as possible. She later tries to kill him, all while raving that she should have aborted him.
- Asshole Victim:
- It should say a lot that you can't kill any of the kids you beat up for their candy, but the bullies go to pieces when you're through with them.
- The Freak's mother is most certainly one, given her banter as he fights her.
- Batter Up!: Some of the bullies carry a wooden bat.
- Body Horror: The player character is a small, deformed monster. His mother is even worse, having three heads, one of which is fused with her chest.
- Chainsaw Good: Some of the bullies use one, although if you hit them once, they'll drop it and run away.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: The Freak kills his mother and is last seen sitting atop a mountain of Halloween candy while chewing on a caramel apple.
- Freudian Slip:Kid: Next year, I'm dressing up as a dildo I mean, Bilbo!
- Gorn: Surprisingly little of it, given its animator. The only gore involved is when dogs and bullies are killed, plus the final boss.
- Hypocritical Humor: On some occasions, a bully will quip, "I hate Halloween!" while smashing a pumpkin. Said bully may also be wearing a clown mask.
- Jerkass: A lot of the kids laugh at the Freak whenever he's wearing a jack o'lantern. Then of course, there's the bullies, and his mother.
- Kill It with Fire: Occasionally, bullies will use molotov cocktails to kill the Freak. The Freak himself uses this ability to a lesser extent. Some of the jack o'lanterns he wears still have a candle inside, and he can shoot the flame out at enemies to temporarily stun them. Played straighter when he uses them on his mother.
- Machete Mayhem: Another common weapon used by the bullies. It's a One-Hit Kill if the Freak isn't wearing a pumpkin.
- Non-Malicious Monster: There's nothing to say that the Freak particularly wants to beat up kids. In fact, if he loses the pumpkin he's wearing or his mask falls off, he'll cower in fear, unable to attack. He just wants their candy, and obviously, they aren't going to just hand it over to him. His killing of the dogs and bullies is purely self-defense.
- Villain Protagonist: While very much a Non-Malicious Monster, the Freak still goes around beating up kids for their candy.
- White Mask of Doom: One mutation that the Freak can use is a half-face mask that will only stay on temporarily, but grants him the courage to attack.
- Would Hurt a Child: They look and talk more like teenagers than actual children, but the Freak's main objective is to beat them up and take their candy.