It would be somehow hard to avoid references when an Otaku serves as one of the protagonists, as they tend to speak in shout-outs.
- One of the eyecatches shows a picture of Mayotama in a certain pose with the title "My Little Broster Can't Be This Cute".
- Hajime wearing a horse head mask when meeting Kaoru's friends while laughing creepily is possibly based on the half-horse, half-human character Stallion from the Words Worth Eroge. Bonus points for Hajime's voice actor Kenichi Suzumura, who voices the protagonist of Words Worth.
- Johannes Krauser II appears in the background as Hajime mentions how Kaoru acted when she came home drunk. He claims she said that she would "rape him 10 times in one second", based on Krauser's ability to say the word "rape" 10 times in one second.
- Near the end of the episode, Hajime makes a reference to Comic Kairakuten regarding what Kaoru said during her alcoholic-riddled love-making session the night before, the same-named monthly published volume for many Hentai manga artists.
- Hajime's response to Kaoru's cooking is "It's a yes!"
- The title of the episode is Pro Golfer Naru ("I'll Become a Pro Golfer"), a reference to an obscure sports series called Pro Golfer Saru.
- During the eyecatch, Kaoru dresses up as Backbeard and proclaims "You Damn Lolicon!".
- When asked about her favorite golfers, Ai-chan states Bill Rogers and Harry Vardon.
- When Hajime's mother shows up, the scene is a brief reenactment of the same door scene between Rena Ryugu and Keiichi Maebara.
- When discussing possible names for a child, Hajime pulls the "Gendo Ikari pose" stating, "If it's a boy, Shinji; a girl, Rei", referencing Shinji Ikari and Rei Ayanami.
- Taken further when Hajime points out that all names have shown up in some form or another in anime, manga or games. When Kaoru asks if her name has ever shown up, Hajime instantly says "Eva***". The eyecatch◊ straight after has her in the same sitting pose and clothes as Kaworu Nagisa.
- One of the eyecatches is Kaoru as Pino; before that, Hajime asks Kaoru if her "Runes got eaten" because she can't remember where the ramen shop was.
- Another eyecatch features Nozomu as Ippo Makunouchi.
- The Chinese master chef that Hajime imagines is Liu Mao Hsing.
- While trying to take pictures of high school girls with his phone, Hajime says "Shutter Chance!", referencing Ranko Hata's Catchphrase.
- The "Siri-like" program on Hajime's smartphone sounds exactly like a Dominator.
- After being beat up by Kaoru for saying immature things at his phone's voice search, Hajime ends up in a crater that Yamcha died in when fighting a Saibaman.
- After seeing what she was capable of, Hajime wonders if Kaoru's high school Senpai Akiko was a Terminator.
- The same reference to the "They had lots of sex afterwards" meme occurs at the end of the episode.
- The episode is called "I Only Draw Free", a reference to Haruka Nanase and his Catchphrase "I only swim free".
- Another video game console, a black-colored Microsoft Xbox 360, can be seen under the television when Hajime and Kaoru are discussing Mayotama's job options, though it is oddly drawn to have two power buttons instead of one.
- According to Kaoru's manga artist Senpai Yuzu, Mayotama's favorite manga is Tokyo Ghoul.
- Hajime's suggested bowling team name for him and Miki is "Little Busters!". In response, Miki states "he has no interest in finding out the secret to the world", a reference to a Plot Point from the Visual Novel.
- At the 2:08 mark of the episode, a sound effect incredibly similar to when a Great Person is born in Civilization V plays can be heard.
- A "(-108)" can be seen beneath the episode number proper; given the majority of the episode is a Flashback, it's most likely referring to the first chapter of the "Turn Back The Pendulum" story arc from Bleach.
- Hajime is seen wearing cat ears and a tail, stating "I'm with the Witches" when Kaoru questions why he's only in his underwear inside their home, with the addition of the sound of a jet plane being heard once he says it.
- When Hajime is handing out Mayotama's new year's allowance, the envelope character looks like the titular Doraemon except green-colored rather than blue.
- I chapter 3, Kaoru and Hajime are playing Guilty Gear together.
- The cover a picture of Kaoru cosplaying as Jam Kuradoberi with Hajime as That Man.
- In chapter 5, Hajime says "I'll destroy that illusion of theirs."
- Kaoru attempts to try and play Yu-Gi-Oh! in chapter 6 but is hopelessly out-of-date with the meta-game. She apparently read up to Yu-Gi-Oh! R.
- Hajime and Mayotama have a Gundam quiz in chapter 7.
- Hajime also refused to go swimming with her because he was busy soloing the final boss of Monster Hunter 3.
- Kaoru imagines buying Yaoi dojinshi of Tiger & Bunny, Katekyō Hitman Reborn!, and Axis Powers Hetalia in chapter 8. She is also mentioned to have 250 skill points for a double attack.
- In Chapter 42, when Kaoru is thinking how impossible it would be for Hajime to cheat on her, he's watching anime and calls a character his "waifu". Given the character's hat and crisscrossed hairbands, she's very likely to be Kafu Chino.
- While they were going out, Kaoru tried to get Hajime to call her on a First-Name Basis. One of the joke names he gave her was "Kaorin", while he appropriately looked like Mr. Kimura.
- After being scolded for eating the bread that was for breakfast the next day, Hajime asks Kaoru if she remembers "how many slices of bread she's ever eaten". It's noted he did so just so he had an excuse to quote the meme.
- Kaoru is wielding Raising Heart on the cover of Chapter 51.