Shuri Komori is a normal middle school girl... Well, not quite. She's actually imbued with incredible competency, and when asked for honest help she just can't refuse. Even if it requires ridiculous levels of strength or willpower!
But aside from that, she's just a normal Japanese middle school girl, who hangs with her two friends, Megumi Nishitori and Masako Negeshi. She gets her homework copied, helps them in studying, and all other normal middle school girl stuff.
Komori-san Can't Decline! (小森さんは断れない!, Komori-san wa Kotowarenai!) is a yonkoma manga created by Cool-Kyou Shinsha and published on Manga Time Original. It received an anime adaptation as part of the Fall 2015 Anime lineup.
Komori-san, could you help us with the Trope examples?
- The Ace: Komori can do pretty much anything (except beat tough video games), provided that someone asks her to do it.
- A-Cup Angst: Megumi and Masako often feel intimidated by Komori's Boobs of Steel. It's far more common in the anime than the manga.
- Adapted Out: Komori's younger sister, Masako's older sister, and Yamanaka never appear in the anime. Miki's cameo was also replaced with Komori wearing his outfit. Justified in Yamanaka's case since the series only adapted scenes from before he was introduced.
- A Day in the Limelight:
- Chapters 24-26 are a flashback to how Masako became friends with Komori and Megumi.
- Chapter 31 features an unnamed extra talking with Komori about their time together on the track team.
- Adorkable: Komori wants to do the best she can for everyone, but clearly missed a few rungs on the social skills ladder here and there. Realizing she has affection for Ootani and also the rare circumstances where she can't help someone also bring an almost puppy-eyed, meek young girl to the forefront.
- Age Lift: Komori started off as 14 in the manga, but is stated to be 15 in the anime.
- Anachronic Order: The anime takes scenes from the manga at random, although this isn't really a problem due to it being a Slice of Life.
- Art Evolution: The manga started out with a fairly cutesy and heavily Super-Deformed art style, but evolved over time into something that is much more closer to the artist's more recent works.
- Beach Episode: Episode 8/Chapter 6.
- Big Sister Bully: Masako's elder sister loves to torment her in a Faux Affably Evil way, even going into a literal Big Sister Is Watching during their hiking trip.
- Boobs of Steel: Komori is much bustier than the other students, and she's also the strongest. Like, really strong.
- The Cameo: It seems like all of Cool-kyou Shinja's works happen in the same universe.
- Hajime from I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying can be seen on the train in chapter 9 (he's mostly covered over by the text). In the same chapter, a woman resembling Hiromi from RaButa is shown working at a clothing store. Also, the key-chain that Masako got was Frau Rabbit, from the one-shot of the same name.
- Miki also appears in an Imagine Spot during chapter 12. Apparently, he lives nearby Komori's house. In the anime, they changed it to have Komori wearing his outfit.
- According to the newspaper Komori's mother was reading in chapter 27, Haru from Ojojojo recently got married (presumably to Tsurezure). And speaking of Tsurezure, he won the mascot contest that Komori entered in the same chapter. It also places this series about 3-4 years after Ojojojo, since his age is listed as 20.
- A girl that looks like Karrot from Frau Rabbit asks Komori for a picture while she's dressed as the eponymous character in chapter 42.
- Character Tics: Yamanaka has a habit of closing his left eye.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: It seems Komori's inability to deny requests may be rooted from this.
- Class Representative: Masako. In a variation of the norm, she's rather shy and something of an introvert. Given that her older brother is her homeroom teacher, he might have given her the position specifically to help her break out of her shell.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Masako. She often claims she's just joking about it but really wouldn't mind living with or having Komori as a family member, and when the trio are talking about confession season, it's Masako who screams at the top of her lungs that Komori's not gonna confess to anyone and gets rather irritated about the topic when the girl's involved.
- Creator Cameo: Someone is shown dressed like Cool-kyou Shinja's Author Avatar in chapter 42.
- Deadpan Snarker: Komori at times, though only around her closest friends.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: When exams come up and Komori isn't being asked to help people with them, no one knows what to think about her strange behavior until Ootani clears up that she's bored and feeling empty. He's right on the mark, being that he wants to be relied on but no one does so and thus knows exactly what's going through her head.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Yamanaka-kun is often mistaken as a girl. He's the 'girl' Komori saw Ootani walking with.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Ootani-kun appears in the background several times before being formally introduced in episode 6. This only applies to the anime.
- Extreme Doormat: Downplayed, and is Komori's most notable feature. She can't decline requests (unless it's Megumi asking for homework). Taken Up to Eleven in one scene where Komori can't remember the solution to a particular problem. Negishi-sensei informs her that she answered it correctly earlier, then tries phrasing his words as a request for her to remember. It works.
- Eyes Always Shut: Komori's mother. Combined with her messy hair, it gives her a constantly exhausted look.
- The Faceless: Megumi's father is only ever shown as a hand.
- Fanservice: They made Komori bustier and more jiggly, with more scenes focusing on her boobs for the anime.
- Gag Echo: Combined with Hypocritical Humor in Chapter 22/Episode 7. When Ootani stares at Komori in the pool while jogging, she calls him a pervert (which the rest of the boys repeat). Their positions are reversed at the end of the chapter/episode.
- Gainaxing: Much more notable in the anime.
- Gamer Chick:
- Komori's younger sister is always playing video games. She even skips out on going to a festival so she can stay home and play. Their mother is also one, considering she bought a game which neither Komori nor her sister could beat, and she beat it without breaking a sweat.
- Megumi also falls under this, to the point that one of her recurring vices is always trying to play video games (when she's not being an anime and manga Otaku). Even despite failing grades in everything but English.
- Genki Girl: Megumi is a downplayed example. Komori and Masako often describe her as 'bright'.
- Genre Savvy: A number of characters to a degree. It reaches the point that the trio try to plan trips and events around avoiding the likelihood of someone needing Komori's help. It never seems to work, and eventually they plan around that too.
- Heroic BSoD: Komori saw Ootani-kun walking with another girl. Cue catatonia.Megumi: Hey Komori, you okay?
Megumi: Well then let me borrow your homework!
(Both of them standing out in the hallway)
Megumi: You didn't do your homework!
- Huge Schoolgirl: Komori is notably taller than the other students. Officially she's 1.8m (6') tall, impossibly tall by East Asian standards—and remember, she's 14.
- Ironic Name: The first syllable of Komori and Ootani's names mean "small" and "large" respectively, an irony that they point out when talking to each other for the first time. They jokingly refer to each other as Oomori and Kotani.
- It Runs in the Family: It's subtly implied that Komori's mother isn't that different in helping others, and knows when to wait for someone to ask even - she just knows how to utilize Komori's "ability" to ease her own stress in the process, and knows how to reject someone asking if she genuinely doesn't feel like doing it (unlike her daughter).
- Lap Pillow: Ootani falls asleep on Komori's lap during the movie date that he and Komori were set up on.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: At first Komori just seems to be pretty strong from years of helping people. Then it seems like she has Super Strength. Then it seems like just being asked to help with something gives her a Determinator status that enables to her to do it against all logic to a level even other characters consider almost supernatural. Considering that this takes place in the same world as Cool-kyou's other works, this isn't really so implausible.
- Mistaken for Gay: Ootani comes to the conclusion that Yamanaka has a crush on him when the latter invites him to see a romantic movie (Yamanaka was secretly trying to set him up with Komori).
- Ms. Fanservice: Boobs of Steel? Check. Gainaxing in the anime? Check. Characters reflecting on her figure, to the point that her character design stands out next to her two more ordinary friends? Komori has it hard, especially when Ootani has to deal with the problem that his face comes to about Komori's chest.
- Nice Girl: Komori is a kind girl to the most ridiculous extreme.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Megumi used to have Blinding Bangs, but she started pulling her hair back at Komori's suggestion. She keeps one side covered because it looks cool.
- Potty Emergency: Komori lets a few girls with this go in front of her to the one remaining stall... and Komori is afflicted with this afterward.
- Production Foreshadowing: The main cast of Ooyasan wa Shishunki! appear in the crowd when the fireworks are going off in episode 8. Their anime started the following season, which returns the favor in its seventh episode, when Shuri and co. appear in the crowd of students having soup.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Ootani got added to the opening/ending in episode seven following his formal introduction in episode six.
- Punny Name: Megumi's suggested name for a cat that resembled Komori was "Shuridinger".
- Really Gets Around: Masako mentioned during New Year's that her sister changes boyfriends on a whim.
- Related in the Adaptation: Inverted. Negeshi-sensei isn't Masako's older brother in the anime (he had Komori deliver handouts to her when she was out sick in the anime, while he gave them to her himself in the manga).
- Shipper on Deck: Double Subverted. Megumi and Masako don't like Ootani, but they still try to hook him up with Komori since he never asks her for help.
- Ship Tease: As the series goes on, it becomes increasingly obvious that Komori has a thing for Ootani. Later chapters also hint at Megumi/Yamanaka.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Masako towards Komori, albeit downplayed in that she keeps it on the down-low. By chapter 44, the subtlety gets thrown out the window when her love preference is asked, though Komori imagines a large, muscular man rather than herself from the description. Also notable in that she still supports Komori and Ootani.
- Super Strength: Komori, hands down.
- Team Mom: When Megumi and Masako (especially Megumi) happen to step a little too out of bounds, Komori's typically there to set them back on the straight path. Others consider this about her as well, though it can be stressful at times for the poor girl.
- Technicolor Eyes: Komori's eyes are pink with a yellow highlight on the bottom in the anime. In the manga they're amber.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Komori and friends attempt to design a town mascot when the school puts in a request for students to give it a shot. It doesn't really work out, though Ootani gets some Ship Tease with Komori in the process. Then the school decides to pick a mascot and unanimously makes it Komori's idea.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Ootani is one of the shortest people in his class, and compared to the six foot tall Komori, everyone is tiny, making him look even shorter by comparison. As they point out when they first interact, their names mean the exact opposite.
- True Companions: Komori, Megumi and Masako. Exemplified by the chapter where they're deciding on a high school to enroll in; their advisor explicitly tells them not to be influenced by friends (directing his attention to Komori in particular), and they indeed do their best to listen... and all three choose the same school anyway.
- Uncatty Resemblance: Played with in that Ootani ends up adopting a cat that resembles Komori. It was originally going to be played straight since Komori's sister wanted to adopt it, but their mother is allergic to cats (and is more of a dog person).
- Unfortunate Item Swap: After their hiking trip, Komori gave some of her pictures to Ootani. The picture in question was her wearing a bikini. She immediately realized her mistake and grabbed it back.Ootani: Hey, this is...
Komori: WRONG ONE!!
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Yamanaka flat out admits that the reason why he picks on Ootani is because they're best friends.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Komori is afraid of bugs.
- Yonkoma: Enforced by the Manga Time family of magazines, not to mention that's Cool-kyou Shinja's usual format.