The main character. Shuri is a sweet girl who loves helping people and is unable to refuse a request for help. Her closest friends as Masako Negishi and Megumi Nishitori, and she nurses an obvious crush on Kurou Ootani since they got to know each other in the 2nd year of middle school.
Currently a 1st year high school student at East High.
- The Ace: Shuri has a wide variety of skills, and she is much stronger than she looks. She can do almost anything so long as someone makes a request of her.
- That said, she's more brute force than finesse, so intricate matters like flower cutting are difficult for her.
- Boobs of Steel: Shuri is much bustier than the other students, and she's also the strongest. Like, really strong.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Shuri can't seem to take more than five steps out her own door without someone asking for her help. This is sometimes literal.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: It seems Shuri's inability to deny requests may be rooted from this.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She has shades of this in regards to Ootani once she comes to terms with her feelings for him. When she saw him walking with Yamanaka, she went into a Heroic BSoD. In a later chapter where Megumi pretends to get close to Ootani, Shuri gives off such a Yandere vibe that Megumi scales back and Masako confesses to Shuri that they were just pranking her.
- Cool Big Sis: Tries to be one to her younger sister.
- Covert Pervert: Shuri herself admits that when it comes to Ootani, she's kind of pervy. There are occasionally gags where she has to restrain herself from just dragging him off and having her way with him, especially after they start dating.
- Deadpan Snarker: Shuri at times, though only around her closest friends.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: When exams come up and Shuri isn't being asked to help people with them, no one knows what to think about her strange behavior until Ootani clears up that she's bored and feeling empty. He's right on the mark, being that he wants to be relied on but no one does so and thus knows exactly what's going through her head.
- Extreme Doormat: Downplayed, and is Shuri's most notable feature. She can't decline requests (unless it's Megumi asking for homework). Taken Up to Eleven in one scene where Shuri can't remember the solution to a particular problem. Negishi-sensei informs her that she answered it correctly earlier, then tries phrasing his words as a request for her to remember. It works.
- First-Name Basis: She, Masako and Megumi address each other by their first names.
- In Chapter 49 asks Ootani to address her by her first name as well.
- Good Feels Good: When asked about why she helps people so much, Shuri sometimes admits that she likes being relied on and just enjoys helping.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Shuri is notably taller than the other students. Officially she's 1.8m (6') tall, impossibly tall by East Asian standards—and remember, she's 14.
- Nice Girl: Shuri is a kind girl to the most ridiculous extreme.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Ootani being described as Shuri's boyfriend results in her replying he isn't her boyfriend.
- The "yet" is dropped by the end of Volume 5 when she and Ootani actually start going out.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her name is spelled SYURI during her bowling match with Masako, Megumi and Ootani.
- Stepford Smiler: While she genuinely enjoys helping people, in one chapter Shuri notes that she loves running because when she runs she's on her own and no one can ask her for help.
- Team Mom: When Megumi and Masako (especially Megumi) happen to step a little too out of bounds, Shuri's typically there to set them back on the straight path. Others consider this about her as well, though it can be stressful at times for the poor girl.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Shuri is afraid of bugs.
One of Shuri's best friends. While sarcastic and snarky, she truly values both Shuri and Megumi, and has on several expressed gratitude that they all became friends.
Currently a 1st year high school student at East High.
- Class Representative: In a variation of the norm, she's rather shy and something of an introvert. Given that her older brother is her homeroom teacher, he might have given her the position specifically to help her break out of her shell.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Masako. She often claims she's just joking about it but really wouldn't mind living with or having Shuri as a family member, and when the trio are talking about confession season, it's Masako who screams at the top of her lungs that Shuri's not gonna confess to anyone and gets rather irritated about the topic when the girl's involved.
- Deadpan Snarker
- First-Name Basis: She, Shuri and Megumi address each other by their first names.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: In a flashback, Masako realises she went through all of elementary school without making a single friend due to preferring to sit in a corner reading than interact with people. She actively decides to change this in middle school, which is how she met Shuri and Megumi.
- In the Blood: Sometimes does things that remind Shuri and Megumi that she really is her sister's sibling.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Masako towards Shuri, albeit downplayed in that she keeps it on the down-low. By chapter 44, the subtlety gets thrown out the window when her love preference is asked, though Komori imagines a large, muscular man rather than herself from the description. Also notable in that she still supports Shuri and Ootani.
- Power Trio: Forms one with Megumi and Shuri.
One of Shuri's best friends. Described as a bright and cheerful girl, Megumi loves anime and manga, and nearly always has a smile on her face.
Currently a 1st year high school student at East High.
- Book Dumb: Besides English (which she apparently uses all the time at home), her grades are far below Shuri's never mind Masako's.
- First-Name Basis: She, Shuri and Masako address each other by their first names.
- Genki Girl: Downplayed. Shuri and Masako often describe her as 'bright'.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Done for laughs when she puts makeup on Yamanaka-kun as a joke, then comes to the horrified realisation he's cuter than she is.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Megumi used to have Blinding Bangs, but she started pulling her hair back at Komori's suggestion. She keeps one side covered because it looks cool.
- Power Trio: Forms one with Masako and Shuri.
- Ship Tease: With Yamanaka-kun. She admits to Masako and Shuri that they share their worries and concerns, and accept everything about the other without bias or judgement. It's such a heartfelt admission than Masako and Shuri can't bring themselves to tease her about it.
- That said, Megumi herself notes that she views Yamanaka-kun the same way she views any other of her girl friends.
A vertically challenged young man who longs to be relied on and be seen as a reliable man, but due to his short height is often overlooked. Shuri develops a fondness for him, and he has feelings for her as well.
Currently a 1st year high school student at an agricultural academy.
- All Men Are Perverts: Once he comes to terms with his feelings, Ootani is prone to thinking of the most erotic interpretation of what Shuri says. In his defense, Shuri is prone to saying things which can really be taken the wrong way, such as her first day at her part time job at his place. She tells him that she won't refuse "anything he asks of her" and to be "as rough as he wants." He genuinely isn't sure whether Shuri is being deliberate about it.(while asked to clean a classroom)
Ootani: Looks like this is the place.
Shuri It's pretty far away.
Ootani: Yeah, I don't think many people use this class very often.
Shuri So it'll just be you and me, along in this isolated classroom that people rarely go to?
(Ootani jolts and stares at Shuri who is looking around the room)
Ootani: Wh-what's with this girl...
- First-Name Basis: In Chapter 49 Shuri asks him to call her by her first name.
- Green-Eyed Monster: In Chapter 30 he notices Yamanaka-kun and Shuri chatting, and feels annoyed.
- Love Epiphany: Has an understated one in Chapter 49 when he realises that he's happy to see Shuri make a shy and embarrassed face when it's just the two of them chatting. He wonders if he felt that way since the first time he called out to her.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: As time goes on, Shuri is sometimes much more upfront about her feelings for him than he is comfortable with. He likes her too, but he also gets embarrassed.
- He mostly gets over it once they start dating.
- Oblivious to Love: Played with. He's aware of Shuri's feelings for him and he realises that he likes her too; in fact it's all but stated the reason he offered her a part time job at his family's florist's shop is so they could keep meeting each other (since they go to different high schools now). On the other hand, he often doesn't notice things like Shuri modifying her school uniform to attract him or catch on that the reason she takes up so many shifts at the shop is to spend as much time as she can with him.
- In Chapter 62, Shuri, her little sister and Ootani's own mother seem pretty annoyed that he doesn't seem to grasp that the reason Shuri takes so many shifts at the shop (to the point Shuri's mother wants her to scale back and focus on her schoolwork) is because she wants to spend as much time as she can with him.
- Relationship Upgrade: He and Shuri start dating by the end of Volume 5.
- Unknown Rival: Played for laughs when he's first introduced. He wants to be relied on, but compared to Shuri there's no way he'd ever stack up.
Shuri's little sister. Unlike her older sister, she's perfectly content to sit around and not get involved with other people. That said, she adores Shuri who dotes on her in return.
- Adapted Out: The anime presents Shuri as being an only child. Ironically, Ami was shown to be excited about being in the anime adaptation in a bonus chapter.
- Gamer Chick: One of her defining characteristics is that she loves games.
- Shipper on Deck: She thinks Ootani is good for Shuri and vice versa. She goes so far as to address him as "Onii-chan".
Shuri and Ami's mother.
- Death Glare: She shoots one at Ootani when he asks if he can spend the night at the Komori household.
- Eyes Always Shut: Combined with her messy hair, it gives her a constantly exhausted look.
- Mama Bear: When Shuri and Ootani actually get into a relationship, she's much, much, *much* less tolerant of him. She even goes so far as to only refer to him as "boy". Considering Shuri is very much smitten with him, it's probably out of fear that Shuri's just being strung along.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: When Ootani is involved, her eyes actually open.
Ayame's husband, Shuri and Ami's father.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: When Ootani asks if he can stay over at the Komoris for a night, Ayame immediately rejects him. However, she relents when her husband reminds her that the Ootanis let Shuri stay the night previously, and furthermore it was very unlikely Ootani would pull anything in their own home.
A girl who Shuri meets on her first day of high school and ends up joining her circle of friends. She tries to avoid asking her for help.