Cool-Kyou Shinsha (クール教信者)Translation is a Japanese mangaka. He has over a dozen manga series and contributions to manga anthologies. Some of Shinsha's most popular published works, I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, Komori-san Can't Decline!, and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, have anime adaptations.
His works mostly focus around Slice of Life escapades between eccentric (but usually grounded) individuals as they go about their day-to-day lives and interact with one another.
Series and One-Shots
- Boku no Migite wa o Sake ni Natta
- ChiChi Chichi
- Diotei Manual: Kamisama-tachi no Renai Daikou (Diotei Manual: Agent of the Gods' Love)note
- FullMaPla (Furumapura)
- Happy Days
- Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi note
- Horobi Club
- I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying (Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken)
- Metsuko ni Yoroshiku
- My Girlfriend Without Wasabi (Sabinuki Kanojo)
- Inochi no Katamari (Cluster of Life)
- Kiri no Iitokarade
- Komori-san Can't Decline! (Komori-san wa Kotowarenai!)
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon)
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Kanna's Daily Life (Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Kanna no Nichijou)note
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Elma's Office Lady Diary (Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Elma OL Nikki)note
- Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Lucoa wa Boku no xx Desu (Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Lucoa is my xx)note
- Mononoke Sharing
- Paranoia Cage
- Peach Boy Riversidenote
- RaButa (LovePig)
- Usagi no Frau (Frau Rabbit)
- Daily Life with Monster Girl (Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou) Anthology Yonkoma
- Is the Order a Rabbit? (Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka?) Anthology Comic
- Maoyu Archenemy And Hero (Maoyuu Maou Yuusha) Anthology Comic
Tropes associated with Cool-kyou Shinsha includes:
- Animal Motif: Both his main Author Avatar and mascot are rabbits.
- Author Appeal: He likes having Odd Couples in their stories. For example, Ojojojo, I Can't Understand and Kobayashi's Dragon Maid all revolve around weird couples. Ojojojo has a Rich Bitch and a spaced out weirdo falling in love, I Can't Understand focuses around an Otaku and his Everyman wife, and Kobayashi is focused on a master-servant relationship between a software engineer and her superpowered dragon-in-human-form lesbian maid.
- Author Avatar: Two of them. An overweight rabbit with glasses for his regular works, and a horned walrus for his Hentai.
- Bleached Underpants: A lot of his Pixiv entries involves underage boys (or age-regressed men) harassed by women with big breasts. This occasionally leaks into his more mainstream works, it's just not explicitly shown onscreen (or gets interrupted before anything can happen).
- Central Theme: Each of his works likes to focus on couples and how they interact and get along with one another. Many of these couples are far from conventional, as well. In addition, themes like racism, class anxiety and the expectations of society are frequent.
- Mark of the Supernatural: If a female character in one of his works has Gag Boobs, it's a fair bet that they aren't human or have some sort of supernatural ability.
- Off-Model: He isn't exactly known for keeping character proportions consistent from one panel to the next.
- Only Six Faces: He tends to draw (adult) male characters the same way in every manga, though a few stand out with completely unique designs (contrast Nozomu, Mr. Jigokumeguri, Kazu, Takiya, and Fafnir with characters like Hajime, Gramps, Mr. Magatsuchi, Kimun Kamuy, and Azad). Meanwhile, his female characters (at least within the same manga) tend to have wildly varying designs.
- Signature Style: Almost all of his stories start off as Slice of Life or romance stories about Odd Couples (usually with some level of magic involved), before throwing in a Drama Bomb near the end.
- Slice of Life: His main genre, with a dash of romance on the side.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Romanization method aside, it seems some translators do not realize what his Pen Name means and how to decompose it grammatically, such that Anime News Network lists him as COOL Kyoushinsha, while Seven Seas Entertainment writes it as Coolkyoushinja, no space.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Most of his series will usually have at least one romantic paring where the girl is significantly taller than her male Love Interest.
- The 'Verse: Most, if not all of his works take place in the same universe.
- Yonkoma: Some of his works are in this format, like Ojojojo and My Girlfriend Without Wasabi.