Characters that are around Rudy's age, mostly his friends and teammates from Caliban Academy. As of 2015, they have graduated from Caliban and spread to colleges, mostly Beige University.
Bruno Lupulin (Trans-Ram, Biologically Wolf)Rudy's best friend. Practically engaged to Corrie. Trans-diet and trans-species vegetarian. Long story. Originally wore Corrie like a sheepskin to keep their relationship discrete, but switched to a fake sheepskin when Corrie entered society, and eventually decided to become a ram himself. Currently getting his college education through a correspondence school, and has now moved in with Corrie at the Fennec boardinghouse.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He met Corrie on his first hunt as a pup.
- Coming-Out Story: Revealing to the hunting team he was trans-diet was framed to be this.
- Mistaken for Gay: Rachel thought he was a ewe at first thanks to wearing Corrie's fur, and being a lesbian, she kissed him. To prevent that from happening again, he started wearing ram horns with his sheepskin.
- Parental Obliviousness: His parents, who have only been seen twice, have been depicted as very detached. Both times they have been seen, they were planted in front of the TV. Bruno could get them to agree to anything (even his diet reassignment surgery) as long as it would stop him from interrupting their TV time. As a result, it was natural for him to seek Kevin for the parental guidance he lacked.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: He's clearly a parallel for real world transgenderism and the effect it has on those around a person. All played for laughs, of course, under the guise of being trans-diet.
- The Big Guy: Because he's the only full-blooded wolf of his group of friends, he stands head and shoulders above the other teens in the strip. This usually doesn't come into play, except for the time he and Rudy fought.
- Voluntary Transformation: A 2016 storyline revealed he wasn't done getting four stomachs done as part of his trans-diet nature. He got follicles implanted so he could grow wool, making his sheepskin permanent, and got his ears docked to be more sheeplike. According to Lindesfarne's blog, his ram horns are now permanently implanted into his skull, he's also going to get hooves done on his lower limbs, and have his claws removed on his hands.
Corrie Dale (Sheep/Wolf)Bruno's girlfriend, Ralph's daughter. Was originally given up for adoption. Escaped a research facility, and lived much of her childhood acting as a sheepskin Bruno wore. When she found out Ralph was her father, he adopted her.
- Aborted Arc: She originally ran into Ralph a lot earlier in the comic strip and clearly something was being set up for them. Then because of time constraints revolving around the Y2K storyline, Mr. Holbrook had to cut out their planned meeting that was intended for that arc. They eventually did meet, it just took a couple more years.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Her best friend Fiona was attacked by a cougar. Corrie's inner wolf awakened and she ate the cougar.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Originally what she thought she was. Her actual family heritage proved to be a lot more complicated.
- Death by Childbirth: Her mother. Later it was discovered Corrie had the same genetic defect, causing her to end efforts to have a baby with Bruno and instead seek adoption.
- Gender Equals Breed: Her mother was a sheep, and for many years, Corrie thought she was a full-blooded sheep too.
- Improbable Age: Getting a job at Herd Thinners, a prestigious organization where it's shown even top predators have trouble making the grade, when she was fourteen was pushing it. Being able to save enough money to buy a house from that same job pushed it into this trope.
- Innocently Insensitive: When they first decided to have children, Corrie initially wanted to adopt a lamb, since even though they both identified as sheep, Bruno was genetically a wolf, and she was half-wolf. Lindesfarne asked why simply having what would likely be a wolf cub was a big deal, showing Turvy to drive the point home.Lindesfarne: I still don't see the problem.
Corrie: Now that you mention it..
Bruno: (facepalming) Sheesh... and I once accused Rudy of not being open to diversity.
- Interspecies Romance: Was the product of one, her parents being a sheep and wolf. Now currently in one too with Bruno.
- Missing Mom: Her mother and Ralph's girlfriend, Wanda Woolstone, died in childbirth.
- My Biological Clock Is Ticking: She and Bruno determined to have children eventually, originally thinking of adoption. In 2018 they started trying to conceive a child themselves. But they gave up when they found out Corrie had the same genetic defect that caused her mother's Death by Childbirth.
Carla Chameleon (Chameleon)After Bruno and Corrie found out natural childbirth would not be a good idea for them due to genetic defects with Corrie, they sought adoption. They took the first available child, which was a young chameleon that was giving previous foster parents issues due to constantly disappearing during changing.
- Big Damn Heroes: Despite being an infant, she manages to save Onk's father and all the other geese being rounded up by Herd Thinners, even tripping the delivery driver when he tried to round them up again.
- The Trickster: Likes to squirm away and hide during changing.
Fiona Fennec (Red Fox/Fennec)Rudy's long-time girlfriend. Mother Martha (vixen) and father George (fennec) are divorced; both re-married into the Dewclaw family. Originally made rich when she helped cut society's dependency on the Great Bird Conspiracy, but the wealth eventually evaporated in a financial downturn. Her mansion is now a boardinghouse managed by her mother.
- First Girl Wins: Not without some bumps along the way, but they've gotten through it all.
- Either/Or Offspring: She was a complete half-and-half hybrid between her parents while her little brother started off life as a fuzzy species-less infant before taking completely after his mother by turning human.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Well, red foxes, anyway.
- Important Haircut: Each time her hair changes, it's because something significant has happened in her life.
- Meganekko: Though she first went with contacts to attract Rudy, she eventually made the switch back to glasses and has stuck with them ever since.
- Riches to Rags: She was rich for many years after gaining a bunch of money during the Y2K crisis where she went around fixing all the computers, but lost it all during an economic downturn. She ended up sharing Rudy's scholarship so she could go to college.
- Super Senses: Her hearing is well beyond that of other characters thanks to her fennec heritage. She can hear fur growing or know which stomach of a ruminant is digesting their food.
- Lindesfarne revealed in her Tumblr blog that Fiona's hearing even goes well beyond that of even other Fennec foxes. No one is sure why, though Lindesfarne theorizes the experimentation done on her as a young teen by the birds might have had some lingering affects.
- Technopath: During the Y2K storyline, she was temporarily given the power to fix electronics by the birds under the guise of an "alien abduction." This allowed her to fix everything that was going to be affected by the bug coming up for the year 2000. It's never been fully explained why the birds singled her out for this.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Averted; they actually despised each other when they were in the same daycare. It was only after Fiona and her parents returned to Domain from living overseas a few years that she and Rudy bonded romantically.
Edgar Carnassial (Lion)Inept hunter, but trying, inspired by Leona (and her hunter father, Frank). He was originally in a relationship with Rhonda, who dumped him and married her Ninth Life boyfriend after he was too needy and requested she hunt for him all the time. Then he formed a relationship with Leona when he tried out for the hunting team. When they went to college, she got caught up in sorority affairs, so he cheated on her with Miranda. After trying to mend their relationship over the summer and failing, they made a clean break, and he started going out with Miranda.
- Hidden Depths: Turns out he could act and sing, going out for the school musical play while in high school. It led to him become a Theater Major in college.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: He actually has to kneel down to hug Miranda.
- Interspecies Romance: Currently a lion dating a rabbit.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Ended up in an affair with Miranda, with evidence that Leona's obsession with her sorority led to the affair.
- Retcon: Originally around Rhonda and Lindesfarne's age, but aged-down to Rudy's so that he could continue to be in the strip on the hunting team.
- Took a Level in Kindness: He started off as Rhonda's self-centered, misogynistic Jerkass boyfriend who treated her like a drive-thru window. When he tried to win her back and fell in love with Leona, he started to lose some of these characteristics and become a friend to the main cast.
- Traumatic Haircut: Shaved his mane so he'd look like a female lion while on the hunting team. He let his mane grow back after initially getting together with Leona.
Leona Mangle (Lioness)Frank's daughter and Edgar's ex-girlfriend. Expert huntress, as you'd expect a lioness to be. Originally joined the hunting team to impress Edgar, who she'd had a crush on for a while. They dated, but when she went to college, she got involved with sorority activities and neglected him. He cheated on her with Miranda, which upset her. After trying to patch things up, she got a crush on Carl, and ended things between them.
- Daddy's Girl: Leona is virtually Frank's entire world. A perfect example is when she conned Frank into helping Edgar with hunting.
- Freudian Excuse: We found out during the drama around Carl turning pro that she was initially attracted to him because he reminded her of a unicorn. She liked unicorns as a cub, but developed intimacy issues after her mother's death, running from relationships at the first sign of trouble so they wouldn't disappear like a unicorn...or her mother.
- Interspecies Romance: Recently accepted a marriage proposal from Carl, a rhino.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died when she was eight after a long illness, according to Lindesfarne.
- Scars Are Forever: She has a scar over her left eye. It was the result of an accident in a hunting competition in 2010.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: When matched up against any of her friends, she's definitely the most tomboyish. Carl actually mistook her for a boy until he got his glasses.
Miranda Hutch (Rabbit)Niece of one of the members of the Rabbit Council. Has two fathers, a Straight Gay couple. On Beige University's competitive gardening team. Was the first to accept Rudy, likely due to Kevin being on the Rabbit Council. She became involved with Edgar, but backed off to let him and Leona patch up their relationship. She predicted this would fail and was waiting for Edgar.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Or, the Domain equivalent, all herbivores want carnivores. Miranda dated a fox in high school and is currently dating a lion in college.
- Closer to Earth: She is introduced breaking up a brewing fight between wolf Rudy and rhino Carl.Miranda: Seriously, you don't want to do that.
Carl: Why not? He'd be perfect as mulch.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Once things settled down after the affair and Edgar and Leona's subsequent break-up, a situation involving Carl and some poachers resulted in Leona and Miranda becoming friends.
- Meet the In-Laws: Eventually Miranda had to bring Edgar to meet her fathers, and she disguised him as a mouse. They actually already knew, and were able to out him. They accept the relationship primarily because Rudy's panning of Edgar's hunting ability was relayed to them through Kevin.
- The Missus and the Ex: An advantage to eventually becoming friends with Edgar's ex is finding out things he likes, and what makes him tick.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Averted. Her parents died when she was a baby, but it hasn't led to any moments of overt wangst, since this is a simple fact of life in the Domain world. As she explains to Edgar, her uncle and his partner have more than provided as parents for her.
- The Rival: Reveals herself to be this to Leona romantically over Edgar.
- Women Are Wiser: Tends to have this mindset in comparison to Rudy's impulsiveness, Carl's hot-headed tendencies, and even Leona's histronics.
Carl (Rhinoceros)A large rhino on Beige University's competitive gardening team. Usually quadrupedal, but can also walk on two feet. Fairly Hot-Blooded.
- Blind Without 'Em: Like most rhinos, he's very short-sighted. Rudy helped him out with his gardening and eventually got him some glasses so he could see properly.
- Delivery Guy: Picked up knowledge on being a midwife from his mother, and ended up in this situation one summer specifically with Lindesfarne for Turvy's birth.
- Distressed Dude: Tends to end up needing help a lot, despite being such a tough guy.
- Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better: Although usually seen on four legs early on, he was once seen on two legs with his parents after the first Summer Camp incident that landed him in the hospital. But on his first date with Leona, he rose from four legs to two, and would be seen more often on two legs from then on.Leona: Why now?
Carl: First time I had a reason.
- Freudian Excuse: The final reason why Carl resisted Leona's crush was because of the drama surrounding Miranda's affair with Edgar; particularly, that Leona wanted to hunt Miranda down. Miranda spoke up in Leona's defense, clearing the way for their relationship.
- Hidden Depths: His mother was a midwife, so he knows what to do when Lindesfarne goes into labor.
- Hired Guns: Was originally a bodyguard hired by Miranda's fathers to protect her after a brief relationship with a fox. It's unknown if this arrangement still exists after they accepted her relationship with Edgar.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he was suspicious and didn't accept Rudy at first, he still defended him from the rival teams, and eventually accepted him as a friend.
- The Lancer: Given his demeanor, if a Five-Man Band forms from the gardening team, it's highly likely Carl would be this, even though his size would lend to him being The Big Guy.
- Oblivious to Love: On Leona's initial advances, he remained unconvinced she wants anything to do with him romantically for a very long time. This ebbed away eventually to the point that he decided he wanted to marry her.
- Poor Communication Kills: He initially kept his intentions to turn pro and leave the gardening team under wraps. A good presumption is that he wanted to tell Leona first, and also ask her to marry him. But because someone in the press leaked the news, Leona ended up the last one to know, hurting her feelings and putting the proposal on hold. She held the grudge long enough that he actually returned an engagement ring. When she finally opened up enough for him to pop the question, he actually had to use the return receipt as a stand-in.
Greta Garter (Garter Snake)Fiona's roommate after Leona joined a sorority, leaving her in the lurch. She's quite vain, but very friendly and kind.
- Artistic License Biology: She sheds her skin far more then any normal snake should.
- The Fashionista: Always has her make-up done.
- Hidden Depths: Although incredibly vain, she's also very sympathetic, and proved to be a very good friend for Fiona at Beige U.
- The Makeover: Is adept to giving them to people. She gave Miranda a temporary one and used her make-up specifically for scales so that Fiona could wear her many piercings in her ears again.
- Power of Trust: Fiona at first didn't want to hug for obvious reasons. After a year of living together, she lets Greta give her a big hug goodbye at the end of the year.
Todd (Toad)Greta's boyfriend. Greta had set up a blind date with a turtle, but it ended up eaten, leaving an empty shell. Todd crawled in, and the rest is history.
- Failed a Spot Check: Todd and Greta had been dating for three years before she found out he was really a frog wearing a turtle shell.
- Long-Distance Relationship: Todd does not go to Beige U; he and Greta began dating while in high school.
- More Than Meets the Eye: In his initial appearances, he stayed withdrawn in his shell. It was only after saving Greta from a ceiling vent grate, going unnaturally fast for a turtle in order to do so, that he revealed the truth.
- Red Herring: When Fiona returned for her sophomore year at Beige U, She found Greta with a rather large bulge. She asked "Todd?", wondering if he had been eaten.note Todd then showed up.Fiona: How's... ...Todd?
Todd: I'm here.
Greta: Oh this? Just a burrito.
- True Love's Kiss: Invoked when Greta kissed Todd after finding out he was really a toad. After a brief moment of Post-Kiss Catatonia, Todd looks at himself.Todd: Still a toad.
Greta: (smiling) Warts and all.