The former sister city of San d'Oria that was officially established during the early years of The Age of Power. Tavnazia was a deeply religious city whose teachings regarding Altana, the gods and the gate of paradise varied significantly from what was taught else where in the mainland. While not the strongest nation in terms of its military, Tavnazia was an important location in terms of trade, having a close relationship with both San d'Oria and The Empire of Aht Urhgan.
During the end of The Crystal War it was besieged by the bulk of The Beastmen Confederacy (lured there by The Alliance to serve as a distraction) in what was known as the Battle of Tavnazia. While Tavnazia received support from The Alliance, calls of help to The Empire were left unanswered. After days of battle, Tavnazia was destroyed by an Orcish super weapon. Survivors where scattered - some of them found refuge in Norg, but most of the survivors ended up in the Tavnazia Safehold, a series of caves protected by powerful charms
- Black Mage: His job.
- Came Back Wrong: As revealed in the white mage quest, he comes back from the dead to try and amass an undead army
- Mercy Kill His final words suggests that his death was a relief from his current existance.
- Minor Major Character: Despite being one of the five leaders of the five races during The Crystal War, he is only ever mentioned towards the end of the original San d'Oria story line and the white mage quest.
- One-Man Army: To hear it from his grandson, Pieuje, Altedour was this, taking scores of beastmen down with him.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Whan he is fought during the white mage quest.
- Undead Calvary: What he is trying to amass during the white mage story.
- Vengeful Ghost How he appears in the white mage quest.
An Elvaan adventurer from Tavnazia who arrives in San d'Oria at the same time as the Playable Character. He is actually the son of Marquis Altedour, the last Marquis of Tavnazia and brother of Queen Leaute.
- The Atoner: Being the one that unleashed Lightbringer and accidentally destroyed Tavnazia, his actions through the story are his attempts to prevent San d'Oria from repeating the same mistakes.
- Dead Person Impersonation: During the final parts of the story when he he disguises himself as on of the assasins sent to kill him.
- King Incognito: He is the son of the Marquis of Tavnazia and brother to the late Queen of San d'Oria.
- Long-Lost Relative: He is actually the brother of Queen Leaute and uncle to Trion, Pieuje and Claidie.
- My God, What Have I Done?: It happens off screen, when he remembers what he did during the end of the Crystal War.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: He loses his memory after Lightbringer blows up Tavnazia and gains them again just before the San d'Oria story begins.
- Walking Spoiler: His true identity and motive are only revealed during the end of the plot.
- Walking Vana'diel: He has for some time wandering around searching for Lightbringer. He leaves again at the end of the San d'Oria story.
An infamous Elvaan thief born into a wealthy family in Tavnazia. He lead a gang of brigands until his presumed death during The Crystal War. In truth, he faked his death and has been taking up different aliases ever since, his latest being Louverance
- Ascended Extra; He has a minor role in the San d'Oria quest line and appears in the thief side quests before playing a major role in Chains of Promathia while pretending to be Louverance.
- The Dreaded: The fact that he is still alive spooks a lot of people.
- Enigmatic Minion: In the San d'Oria story line he is this to Rochefogne, under the name Vauderame.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Tavnazia in general. Before The Crystal War he would hold back from stealing around there, and a lot of his actions in the present are about trying to aid the survivors.
- Faking the Dead: He does this at the end of The Crystal War. He does this again at the end of the Chains of Promathia story.
- For the Evulz: Being born into a noble family, this is the only explanation for his descent into crime.
- Noble Fugitive
- Pragmatic Villainy: At the end of the thief story he spares Nanaa Mihgo and The Adventurer in order to avoid attracting the attention of The Sin Hunter.
- Putting the Band Back Together: The Thief sidequest involves him gathering his old lackeys together.
- Token Evil Teammate To Prishe's team. At least Knight Templar Shikaree Z learns the error of her ways by the end of the story.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He is willing to commit murder if it means getting more money for the Tavnazia survivors.
- Worthy Opponent: He views The Adventurer as this.
She is actually Esha'ntarl, a ten thousand year old Zilart who now serves as the Duke Vicarious in Jueno
For more information, see Grand Duchy of Jeuno - Esha'ntarl
- Noble Bigot: Despitee being incredibly suspicious towards Prishe, he plays a vital role in maintaining the order and morale of the Tavnazia survivors
- Outliving One's Offspring: His son was killed in the Crystal War, leading him to be incredibly protective of his granddaughter.
- Overprotective Granddad: He is incredibly disapproving towards Ulmia's friendship with Prishe
- Parental Substitute: Towards Ulmia, her lost her parent in the war.
- Parents as People: For all his faults, Despachiaire isn't a bad man, just way too devout for his liking
- Unwitting Pawn: To Nag'molada, who uses his desperation to help his people in order to gain the Eye of Altana.
A foul-mouthed but well-meaning head of the Tavnazian Safehold's patrol guards. She became immortal after her baptism ceremony involving The Eye of Altana went wrong, causing the emptiness inside her to crystallize.
- And I Must Scream: Her fate in Abyssea. When the final battle against Promathia went wrong, Promathia absorbed the (Abyssea-verse) Player Character and Selh'teus, transforming into Shinryu. The only thing that prevented Prishe from meeting the same fate was her immortality, but Shinryu's influence on Al'Taieu was so strong that even if there were any survivors, they would never be able to leave. So there she is, sitting cross-legged in the Empyreal Paradox alone, with only constant promises and visits from the Player Character keeping her sane.
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Big Eater: Boosts her stats using food items in battle, asks her allies for food during "Heroine's Combat," and lists her favorite snacks while beating up enemies in Dissidia Duodecim.
- Cursed with Awesome: She is seen as cursed by the people of Tavnazia, but all she seems to be cursed with is immortality and telepathy.
- Cute Bruiser
- Dark and Troubled Past: Due to the people of Tavnazia believing her to be cursed, she wasn't allowed outside of the cathedral.
- Death Seeker: Initially Hates Everyone Equally before meeting Ulmia as a child; from then on, she thinks that she will outlive her newfound friend and grows to resent herself.
- Dynamic Entry: The infamous Nullifying Dropkick. She also disables some of Nag'molada's men that were capturing Bahamut by saying hello feet or fist first.
- Fire-Forged Friends: The people of Tavnazia treated Prishe with disgust and contempt...Until Prishe helped with the evacuations into The Tavnazia Safehold. While there are still is still a feeling of unease about her among some members of the safehold, she became much more liked and respected afterwards
- Happens again with the Sin Hunters. After they decide to joining forces to take down Promathia, The Sin Hunters decide to stop hunting her and Mildaurion for their sins
- Friendless Background: Due to being labeled as "the abhorrent one"
- Heroic Resolve: She is determined to fight back against destiny, and any god that gets in her way.
- Hidden Depths: At first, you will think that she's nothing more than the usual sassy Cute Bruiser until you discover that she's Older Than She Looks, is a theologian, was initially Hates Everyone Equally from her imprisonment (now, her cuss-loving mouth was the only thing that remained from it), likes trolling people (even Shantotto) because she knows that it's easier to make them blurt out information and blackmail them if they're angry, and has a great singing voice.
- Hot-Blooded: She is easily one of the most impulsive characters in the series.
- Immortal Immaturity: Acts more like the teenager she resembles than the adult she technically is.
- It Was a Gift: Her crystal amulet; given by the first person that let her out of her confinement, Cardinal Mildaurion. Doubles as a Hypno Trinket
- Kung-Fu Wizard: White Mage + Monk = this trope.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: Becomes this after the finale. Having lost her immortality and regained her humanity, she begins to act her age, becoming painfully demure and shy.
- Madam Swearsalot
- The Nicknamer: Notice that she almost never calls people by name unless she knows them for a long time or she considers them as friends? She even persistently calls the player "Dead Guy/Lady" after finding the player unconscious in some hill and only stopping when s/he saves her from the Sin Hunters.
- Older Than They Look: She stopped aging well over two decades ago
- Screw Destiny: Her main goal is to over come the role destiny has placed on her as "The Keeper of the Apocalypse". By the time of that game, she is no longer "The Keeper of the Apocalypse."
- White Magic: She is a white mage / monk combo.
The granddaughter of Despachiaire, and Prishes oldest and best friend. Unlike Prishe, Ulmia is a quiet and reserved girl.
- The Bard: Her job in battle
- Best Friend: To Prishe
- Grew a Spine: She becomes more and more defiant against her grandfather as the plot goes along.
- Magic Music: As a bard.
- Preacher's Kid: She was raised by her grandfather, who serves as an elder for Tavnazia safehold and one of the most prominent proponents of Tavnazia's branch of religion.
- Raised by Grandparents: By her grandfather after the death of her father.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: She is the Blue Oni to Prishe's Red Oni. Ironically enough, Ulmia has orange hair and a red outfit, where as Prishe has both blue hair and a blue outfit.
- Shrinking Violet: At first anyway
- Sole Survivor: She is the only one of her choir to survive the destruction of Tavnazia. They find another survivor, Emeline, part way through the story
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to Prishes Tomboy
Other Inhabitants of Tavnazia
- Cloudcuckoolander: They never really seem to comprehend what is going on, only stumbling from season to season and making a complete a mess of things
- Combination Attack: Getting the three of them together allows them to cast Meteor. They can use this in the battle against Promathia
- Disappeared Dad: Their main goal is to find their father. They do at the end of Chains of Promathia.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Whose side they are on seems to vary from scene to scene.
- Manchild: Despite being in their twenties, they act like young children.
- Small Name, Big Ego: The more famous and well known any Tarutaru male is, the more likely the trio thinks he is their father.
- Spanner in the Works: They screw over multiple plots and schemes over the course of the story, sometimes intentionally.
- Terrible Trio
- Action Survivor: She does survive the invasion of Tavnazi despite having Orcs chasing her down one of the escape tunnels.
- Big Sister Instinct: She makes sure Aldo gets to safety before she tries to escape the tunnels.
- Identity Amnesia: She has no memory of her life as Emeline. The only thing she seems to know is the name Aido.
- Person of Mass Destruction: As the only person who knows all five verses to the ''Lay of The Immortals, she has the ability to wake up the sleeping gods, or wipe out Vana'diel even if she doesn't know it
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: She accidentally summons the Seed Crystal to Vana'diel