- Catchphrase: Each Ryuuseitai member has a catchphrase to go along with their hero personality.Chiaki: Red flames are the mark of justice! The life-giving sun, burning bright red! Ryusei Red, Chiaki Morisawa!Kanata: Blue flames are the mark of mystery! I have come from the blue sea! Ryusei Blue, Kanata Shinkai. Sparkle☆Tetora: Black flames are the mark of great endeavor! The burning fighting spirit, stained with the soil of the earth! Ryusei Black, Tetora Nagumo!Shinobu: Yellow flames are the mark of hope! A single miracle shining into the darkness! Ryusei Yellow, Shinobu Sengoku!Midori: The infinitely growing Great Nature. Green flames are the mark of compassion. Ryusei Green, Midori Takamine.
Midori: Green flames are the mark of compassion... Healing everyone with things like mascot characters... My name is "Midori (green)" therefore, Ryusei Green... Midori Takamine...
- Among these, Midori is the only one who never says his catchphrase correctly and diverges from the original line.
- Color-Coded Characters: As per the unit's tradition, each Ryuuseitai member has a color associated with them.
- Chiaki: Red
- Kanata: Blue
- Midori: Green
- Shinobu: Yellow
- Tetora: Black
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Played with. As one of the veteran, historical units in Yumenosaki, they've fallen out of spotlight after Eichi/fine's reign. However, the Supernova event also reveals Ryuuseitai has actually long rotted before that, becoming an empty shell after the first generation, and that it's only now Ryuuseitai truly gathers with five people, allowing them to return to their Glory Days.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Ryuuseitai is comprised of members who either have no motivation (Midori) or have a reputation for being so strange no other unit would accept them (Shinobu and Kanata). As Tetora points out once, they have such hard time gathering because they're mainly people Chiaki had to pull into joining. That said, the members do come to develop a bond, and they live up to their name as a veteran unit.
- Sentai: Their motif is very much owed to this very specific flavor of superheroes, a la Super Sentai or Power Rangers.
High-spirited enough to make certain low-spirited underclassmen's days waaay too exciting, Chiaki makes up the 50% in the 150% of RYUSEITAI's enthusiasm. He's a good-natured upperclassman who loves being relied on and is eager to undertake just about anything. All in all, as Ryusei Red, he wears the traditional Sentai implications of the color pretty well.
While it may come as a shock, he admires superheroes a lot, and much like them, thinks teamwork is the best thing since sliced and diced crispy fries, as well as introductory lines, which every member has due to him. Despite his good reflexes, he often gets injured and has to be taken care of by the school doctor, Jin Sagami.
- A Father to His Men: His stifling attention to his juniors, be it the ones in Ryuuseitai or Basketball Club, is proof of his affection towards them. As far as he's concerned, they're his children.
- Becoming the Mask: It's implied he was meek and maybe even bullied when he was younger. It's only recently that he started acting more like the heroes he admires.
- Bookworm: In the Sweet Halloween event story, Chiaki states that he has a habit of reading something before he sleeps. In some of his dialogue, it is shown that he borrows books from the library at times.
- Broken Pedestal: Completely averted, as he still idolizes the former vice-captain of Ryuseitai, Madara Mikejima. Everyone, especially Kanata recognizes that Madara is a horrible role model, and Madara himself wishes this trope was invoked because he does not want Chiaki to look up to him or find his actions "heroic".
- However, played straight when it comes to fine - Chiaki was a huge fan of old fine, so when the war happened, he really believed they were heroes of justice taking down terrible villains. However, when he got to know Kanata, he realised that those 'villains' where just ordinary people themselves, and became ashamed of how much he had supported fine. However, though he recognises what they did was wrong, he still has something of the fanboy in him, and at one point in Saga pt 2 refers to Eichi as a friend. (Eichi, for his part, merely remarks that the word 'friend' still sounds weird to him.)
- Calling Your Attacks: In the yonkoma manga, he tries to enforce this on the Basketball Club members. None of them are too happy about it.
- Friend to All Children: Emphasized in the School Festival event story.Chiaki: Yeah, I love kids! I was this close to hugging the kid just now, but I held it in!
- Idiots Cannot Catch Colds: Brought up in the Hero Show scout story, where he actually does end up catching a cold, resulting in this exchange:Shinobu: Do you not understand? Taichou-dono was wandering around in the rain, searching for Tetora-kun, and thus has caught a cold!Tetora: Eh?! That person can't catch a cold, can he?
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Implied in one of his Sub Stories.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Will hug anyone without caring that they don't like to be touched.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He's sometimes noted to be more calculative and insightful than his appearance suggests.
- Passing the Torch: He eventually passes the title of Ryuusei Red to Tetora.
- Red Is Heroic: He is Ryuusei Red, and fittingly is The Leader and the one who admires superheroes the most.
- The Leader: The Headstrong type: a natural-born leader who fully believes The Power of Friendship and Team Spirit, loves being relied on and overall acts like a superhero. He's also the captain of the Basketball Club.
- Trademark Hated Food: Eggplants.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes??: Usually, Chiaki is shown to have a brave persona, but when anything horror-related comes into the situation...
- He tries his best to hide this fear, but sometimes, his acting or his reactions become a bit too exaggerated that his fear becomes obvious, which is seen a lot in the event story Sweet Halloween.
Serious but energetic, Tetora's the sort of (guy's) guy who can only focus on one thing at a time. He's a hard worker, but his enthusiasm usually doesn't pay off the way he hopes it will—or really, most of the time around the third year karate club captain Kuro Kiryu, who he admires very much, and affectionately refers to as "boss." Nonetheless, he always puts his all into being Ryusei Black of RYUUSETAI.
He claims to be a good cook, but actually has no sense of taste, and tying into his single-mindedness, he can't do detailed tasks because he's not very good with his hands. He is good friends with his classmates Tomoya Mashiro and Hajime Shino, with the latter often helping him with his studies.
- Affectionate Nickname : Kuro calls him "Tetsu".
- Animal Motifs: Tetora seems to have tigers as motif. His first name means "Iron Tiger", his autograph (which is only the kanji that means "tiger") is stylized so that the kanji's last stroke looks like a tiger's tail, and apparently his cellphone case◊ is tiger-themed.
- Becoming the Mask:
- A mild example. Tetora initially wanted to join Akatsuki out of his admiration for Kuro, but upon failing the test, he had no choice but to opt for Ryuuseitai instead. At first, Tetora still held hopes for Ryuuseitai, but he was let down to learn all they ever do is play heroes. However, with the passage of time, he is shown to grow comfortable to his position in Ryuuseitai, making good friends with his fellow first years Midori and Shinobu.
- In Christmas Live, he also admits to be dissatisfied with being Black, wanting to be Red instead. But when Chiaki offers to let him wear Red for that one time, he refuses saying he's grown comfortable with being Black, and will hold off on becoming Red until Chiaki graduates.
- Big Brother Worship: Really admires Akatsuki's Kuro, though they are not actually related by blood. He also has a similar admiration for Anzu.
- Cute Little Fangs: Sports these, if you pay attention to his cards.
- Keet: Small, cute and often excited.
- Lethal Chef: Thinks he cooks good food, but his handling of fire is very poor and he often burns down what he meant to cook. The Cooking gacha story reveals that it's because of a past trauma where he fell ill from undercooked meat, so he overcooks food out of reflex.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Towards Kuro and Anzu, he's enthusiastic and respectful. Towards his fellow first years, he's warm, amiable and helpful. Towards Chiaki though... he's no less cold and hurtful than Midori. That said, he does respect him somewhere in his heart, even if he'll never really admit it.
- Trademark Hated Food: Carrots.
- Verbal Tic: Ends his sentences with "-ssu".
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Enthusiastically crossdresses in the Beasts gacha story, though he was tricked into doing it by Arashi.
Mild-mannered and mysterious, Kanata is Ryusei Blue, and one of the "Three Oddballs." The teachers often keep a close eye on him since his eccentric behavior stands out a lot—for example, all those times he installed a giant fish tank and other enigmatic apparatuses in the academy, with the Marine Bio Club as his excuse.
He's usually calm and takes it easy, but gets excessively excited when it comes to marine life. He seems obsessed with eating his food with soy sauce. He loves soaking in water and watching the ocean despite the fact that he cannot swim. Occasionally, he accompanies fellow RYUSEITAI member, Midori Takamine, to watch the sea.
- A Day in the Limelight: The Aquarium chapter is dedicated to him, his family issues, his Obfuscating Stupidity and his exact relationship with Madara.
- A God I Am Not: Because he's the heir of the Shinkai household, he's treated as a living god and is worshipped. Kanata hates the responsability and attention and wishes he could be a normal person. It's implied in Aquarium that he acts like an oddball to spite his household.I wish to become a friend known as Kanata Shinkai, who has no relation to my home. That is what I have wished for since the start, after all.
- Abusive Parents: Kanata resents his strict upbringing and his household, who worship him for being the heir to his family. Because of this, Kanata resents his parents and thus dislikes calling Madara "Mama".
- He does end up calling Madara " Mama " several times near the end of Aquariums story after seemingly making amends with him, however.
- All Take and No Give: His relationship with Madara in the past, as he highlights in Aquarium.Kanata to himself: I have always been so horrible to him, too....I have never once given anything back to him, so why is he always this nice to me?
- Beware the Silly Ones : He might look like an innocent, silly CloudcuckooLander, but if you piss him off, he won't hesitate to do things like shove your head underwater or karate chop your head, as poor Souma has experienced first hand.
- Catchphrase: "Puka, puka....♪"/"Bubble, bubble....♪"
- Childhood Friends: With Madara. In fact, he was his Only Friend before meeting Chiaki and joining Ryuuseitai. Not that Kanata considers him a friend anyway.
- CloudcuckooLander: May be the biggest one in the series. Heck, even his fellow Oddball, Rei (who, remember, claims to be a vampire), calls him an alien at one point.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Loves cooking fish, and will insert fish into anything else he cooks - even chocolate. His naming sense doesn't help, as in the Ryuuseitai Chocofes he cooks a chocolate flavoured and coloured with seaweed and names it the even worse-sounding 'green bug chocolate'.
- Dissonant Serenity: It seems that he still has a smile on his face sometimes when he gets angry or when he does things like shoving Souma's head into the water fountain.
- The Gadfly: Only in a mild way, but there are hints that he's more aware of how outrageous some of his behaviours are than he lets on. There's also a short substory in which he encounters Souma cooking fish and immediately expresses distress at the poor fishy, only to admit that he doesn't have any problem with eating fish and just finds it kinda funny when Souma gets all up in a rush. (Though he then praises Souma's cooking and pats his head, so it's clearly affectionate.)
- Growing Up Sucks: Since he's revered as a living god by his household, he's forced to act aloof and not do anything improper. Kanata resents his family for this and thus avoids chores and responsibilities at school.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Downplayed. Kanata assumes Madara stayed by his side because the latter's father (who's a policeman) was sent to keep watch on Kanata's household (who're implied to be in obscure business). And he's annoyed with Madara's attempts for Kanata to call him "Mama", since his own parents are strict. In reality, Madara stayed close to Kanata because he was genuinely worried about him and considered him a friend. He finally realizes this in Aquarium and thanks Madara for caring about him.
- First-Name Basis: Refers to almost everyone by their first name, without using any honorifics. The exceptions are Anzu (whom he calls "Anzu-san"), Madara (whom he calls "Rogue"), Natsume (whom he calls either "Nacchan" or "Magician-san"), and Eichi (whom he calls "Emperor").
- Foreshadowing: In Deep Sea Mystery, when Kaoru explains him how to play baton pass, Kanata gets anxious about doing so many things at the same time and tries to run away from the competition to feed his sea creatures because it puts him at ease. And in Supernova, he's terrified about acting as a senior for the young Ryuuseitai members. This is a hint to his dislike for responsibility....and later events explain why he hates it so much.
- Friend to All Living Things: Is this with any kind of sea creature. He's even the president of the school's marine life club. Aquarium reveals his ancestors were capable of communicating with sea creatures as well.
- Friendless Background: According to Madara, he had no friends before the Five Oddballs incident and becoming a member of Ryuseitai.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: The Aquarium chapter makes it clear that his quirky personality is just a facade to cope with his strict household. He also talks normally in his inner thoughts.
- Idiot Hair: Has one, though he's more of a Cloudcuckoolander than a idiot.
- Odd Friendship: With Kaoru. In spite of Kaoru's disinterest in anything other than women, he and Kanata get along rather swimmingly.
- Souma as well, given that Kanata is so relaxed and laid-back and doesn't care for normal rules, while Souma is so hot-blooded and emotional and concerned with tradition. They get along extremely well however, with Souma highly admiring him despite their differences.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: In "Purple Wisterias of May" he's shown crying, much to Souma's surprise.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Zigzagged. Kanata is kind and supportive to everyone except Madara, and only Madara. However, the events of Aquarium imply that he may change his tune in the future after realizing that Madara cared about him all along.
- Super Drowning Skills: Surprisingly for someone who spends so much time in water, Kanata can't swim for the life of him.
- Super Strength: Kanata has this to some degree. Such as pushing Souma's head underwater, carry Anzu on his shoulders with ease or karate chopping Madara.
- Stepford Smiler: Type A. He might be a silly CloudcuckooLander with an obsession for sea creatures, the Aquarium chapter shows that he's conflicted about his family heritage and his strict household and acts as a quirky oddball as a way to cope.
- Tsundere: In a way, but only to Madara. Several of their interactions involve him getting annoyed at Madara only to lighten up and apologize or be nicer to him moments later. In the event " Purple Wisteria Of May " he says that while he felt that Madara's presence was unwelcome and that he found him annoying when they were kids, he didn't quite mind being invited to play with him, hinting that they've always had that kind of relationship dynamic.
- Verbal Tic: His in-game lines are written in all hiragana, probably to show how slowly he speaks.
- When He Smiles: His face is usually in a thin-lipped or goofy smile expression, but in his Sweet Words confession to Anzu, his blushing face is noted as the most adorable he could possibly look.
Shinobu has chuunibyou and admires ninjas, establishing a ninja association all by himself and spending his days training alone. Although he's ambitious and loud-mouthed especially to himself, he's often shy around others, and being a bit naive, can fall for tricks.
Since he tends to cause small fires during his training, the teachers are keeping an eye on him. He loves high places and attics. While athletic, Shinobu doesn't quite make the best use of his own potential, but still seems to have a good time as a part of the Broadcast Committee, and as Ryusei Yellow of RYUUSETAI.
- Butt-Monkey: Even though he practically worships the ground Anzu walks on (or maybe ''because'' of), the poor kid is always at the subject of her teasing and is the only first year she acts cold towards. The abuse includes Anzu ignoring his cries for help when he couldn't climb down from a tree. Midori reasons it's just how she expresses her love.Anzu: (to Shinobu asking if she has any plans on weekend) I might catch a cold that day.
- It's also been mentioned a couple of times that it's tempting to tease/mess with him, which is part of why Midori believes the above reasoning.
- Comically Missing the Point: Frequently. While talking to Midori about the above incident, he says this:Shinobu: She alllways turns me down...? That she can predict when she will catch a cold, Anzu-dono is amazing, de gozaru!
- Crocodile Tears: Surprisingly enough, there's one instance where he tries this on Anzu, as shown in this tweet.Shinobu: I beg of you, Transfer student-dono~! Are you just going to leave me to cry~? (sniff) Kuh, so the Persuasion by Tears technique doesn't work on you... You truly are a tough nut to crack!
- Fan of Underdog: Towards Mao, sort-of. Mao isn't so much an underdog as he lacks pride and will gladly prostrate himself before someone (with a smile) if that would solve the problem, and Shinobu thinks that's cool.
- Friendless Background: On days Ryuuseitai has no activity, he mostly passes the whole day without interacting with anybody. That is, until he befriends Yuuta.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: With Mao. Shinobu admires and respects Mao as a person and finds it wondrous why Mao would bother interacting with someone like himself.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His left eye is covered by his bangs. Yuta tried to see what's under his bang once before Shinobu called him out for "sexual harrassment".
- Shrinking Violet: Shinobu is very timid and doesn't do well in front of strangers.
- Verbal Tic: He fundamentally speaks like a sengoku period ninja, with the first person pronoun "sessha" and ending his sentences with "de gozaru"... even when he's using modern slang, onomatopoeia and Gratuitous English.
The tallest among the first years, Midori is blessed with good looks and physique, but has no confidence, falls into a funk really easily, and is a bit timid. He often makes inappropriate remarks and rants, and formal and honorific speech are practically his enemy. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he's bad with horror and thrill rides. He's the son of the greengrocer in the shopping district beside the academy, and thought it'd be easiest to attend high school there, but...
Somehow, although he'd never meant to become an idol, he entered the "idol course" by mistake, and has now been saddled with the weight and moniker of Ryusei Green of RYUUSEITAI. The unit's excitability has time and again proved too much for him, Chiaki Morisawa in particular, but at least when he's depressed, he can go see the ocean with his fellow group-mate, Kanata Shinkai.
- Becoming the Mask: He is reluctant to get involved in anything idol related when he is initially forced into being an idol without meaning to but slowly, he is starting to enjoy being an idol and also being a part of Ryuuseitai.
- Berserk Button: Played with and implied. He has this whenever someone teases him about Chiaki, as seen in the dialogue from Sweet Halloween below. In the event story Orihime and Hikoboshi, Mao tried to invoke this as a joke in order to "cheer" Midori up, which doesn't work.Tetora: Oh? Could it be that youre feeling lonely~? Cuz hes not paying attention to you~♪
Shinobu: WhaWhat are you going to do with that hammer, Midori-kun?! You could kill someone with that, you know?!
Midori: Ah— Sorry, I just had this sudden urge to kill Wow, Ive seen it before in movies, but your mind really does go completely blank
- Butt-Monkey: Always caught with whatever Chiaki is doing. Poor guy.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them : Towards Chiaki, whom he found very tiring to be with. In the Strawberry Picking scout story, he became even more depressed than before thanks to Chiaki graduating, and when Shinobu mentions that he and Midori would meet with Chiaki later, he's happy enough to smile despite the depression.
- Catchphrase: "It's so depressing, I want to die..."
- Cuteness Proximity: To cute mascots. Though his idea of cute can be rather... let's call it strange. Sometimes. He loves cute things so much that in Pirates, he immediately recovers from his depression after seeing Anzu wearing a mascot character costume, and asks her to go on a date with him wearing the costume.
- Dismotivation: He's this concerning his school activities. Somewhat understandable since he did not want to be an idol at first, and is only in the idol course by mistake. Despite all this, he does continue to participate in idol activities, even though he is still reluctant.
- Even the Guys Want Him: It's common for other characters, particularly other first years, to comment that he's very attractive.Hajime: ... Ummm, what is it? I feel weird being stared at - you're good looking so it strangely makes my heart beat fast.
- I Just Want to Be Normal : He actually doesn't want to be an idol, and wishes to be a normal person instead. In the supernova event, he got jealous when seeing one of his former classmates leading a normal life, thinking that he would've been happier with a life like that. Fortunately, he got better.
- I'm Your Biggest Fan: To Yuzuru, whom he calls Master Painter or any other similar title.
- Although he doesn't say that he's exactly the biggest fan, he acts like it, as he frequently asks Yuzuru for his autograph or a drawing. This trope is even more emphasized if we remember that Yuzuru is considered a bad artist, which means that no one is really competing with him for the number one fan spot.
- Informed Attractiveness: Tends to be often described by other characters as good-looking, even though naturally all the characters look pretty good in this art style. (Maybe it's the height?) However, if he was unusually attractive, that would help explain why he's viewed as being so fit to be an idol despite his total lack of motivation.
- The Drag-Along: For starters, he didn't even want to be an idol; he just enrolled that course by mistake, and only entered the school itself because it was close to his house. He was also recruited into the Basketball Club because of his height, and doesn't seem all too happy about it either.
- The Eeyore: Mostly because he's often pushed around to do things he doesn't want to do, he looks depressed all the time. Note how in the game's Producer course, his chibi avatar is the only one always looking distressed, even when he's smiling.
- Height Angst: Being so tall bothers him since it usually leads to people asking him to do physical labor jobs or become their ally, as well as being hard to find clothes and shoes that'll fit him.
- Lovable Coward: He finds nearly everything scary and dislikes standing out, though he'll do it anyway, even if he complains while doing it.
- When He Smiles: He earns quite a few shrill shrieks from little girls when he smiles at them in the Strawberry-picking scout. Shinobu admits even his heart skips a beat when he sees Midoris smile.
- You Remind Me of X: Kuro once states Midori reminds him of younger Chiaki. Midori contemplates suing him for defamation.