Player Character & Staff Player/Anzu | Yumenosaki Academy Faculty
Starmaker Productions Trickstar | fine | Ryuuseitai | Alkaloid
Cosmic Productions Eden | 2wink | Valkyrie | Crazy B
Rhythm Link UNDEAD | AKATSUKI |Ra*bits
New Dimension knights| Switch | MaM | Double Face |
Other Units Temporary Units| Shuffle Units
- Always Second Best: They're the strongest unit in the academy only second to "fine", the absolute ruler. In Quarrel Festival, Eichi remarks that Akatsuki does actually have the abilities to challenge "fine", but Keito would always back off from any confrontation against "fine" due to his loyalty towards Eichi.
- Becoming the Mask: Revolutionary Live reveals that originally, Akatsuki was nothing more than a shell of a unit meant to support the student council as it was backed by two powerful students, Kuro and Keito. However, because they let Souma join due to his insistence, they grew much closer and end up becoming a more genuine unit that's formidable in their own right.
- Chromatic Arrangement: Kuro is red and Keito is green, though Souma is more purple than blue.
- The Dragon: The unit was formed to serve as this to "fine", standing in the way of anyone who might try to threaten "fine" and carrying out its will while allowing it a little plausible deniability. In the early days they didn't even really do many idol activities. They especially function as this in the first half of the main story - due to Eichi being hospitalised, "fine" is temporarily non-functional, meaning that Trickstar target Akatsuki as the student council's second biggest asset.
- Family of Choice: The members of Akatsuki practically form a family: Keito and Kuro being the parents, and Souma as the only son. If Anzu is there, she'll also be the daughter. Kuro lampshades this in Quarrel Festival, leaving Keito to wonder which of them is the Mom and which is the Dad.
- Not So Above It All: As a unit and as individuals they give off a serious, intimidating vibe. However, each of them is a genuinely kind person who is capable of being very silly under the right circumstances, and their relationship as a unit is one of genuinely warm family bonds. In addition, they're introduced as being a very strategic and intelligent unit, but in the original game's Main Story Trickstar and Undead easily trick them during the Battle of the Bands, proving they're actually very susceptible to baiting.
- Undying Loyalty: The members of Akatsuki often speak about "being connected by a bond thicker than blood". As a matter of fact, they're highly loyal towards each other, even if Keito and Kuro, for example, have contrasting opinions about the school's direction.
Kuro looks scary and has immense physical strength, but treasures precision and order. He's earnest and sincere at heart. His family is very important to him. He's been taking care of his younger sister ever since they lost their mother, and he somewhat developed a sister complex as a result.
He entered the academy because of his sister, too, the reason being he wanted to look cool in front of her. He's good at sewing and can create all sorts of things, ranging from stuff like embroidery on long jackets worn by delinquents to frilly dresses. A member of the unit AKATSUKI.
- Affectionate Nickname: In their younger days, Shu called him Ryuu-kun.
- Better Off with the Bad Guys: Akatsuki were antagonists during the war and were involved in quite a few morally questionable acts that hurt many other people, so Keito feels guilty for bringing Kuro into all of that as a member. However, Kuro entirely disagrees and is actually grateful he was brought in, as before he joined Yumenosaki he was an aimless thug who hated his life and himself. He regrets his actions in Akatsuki, but they weren't worse than anything he was doing before, and being in Akatsuki introduced him to new friends and a new purpose he never would have otherwise been able to find.
- Big Brother Instinct: To Tetora and Anzu. He's also a doting brother to his own little sister.
- This causes him to be downright furious with Madara when he finds out he's been using Anzu in his plans.
- Childhood Friends: With Shu since they lived in the same neighborhood and had been in the same class and school since kindergarten and elementary.
- Cool Big Bro: If Tetora admiring him is any indication.
- Dumb Muscle: Thinks of himself as this. In reality, he's much smarter than he gives himself credit for, but he can be a little oblivious sometimes.
- Face of a Thug: And he's painfully aware of it. He thinks he's not very idol-like due to his appearance.
- Former Delinquent: The Akatsuki unit CD audio drama implies that he was involved in a gang during middle school.
- Friendly Enemy: Is this way with Madara as revealed in The Revolutionary Live That Heralds The Dawn . Despite being on opposing sides due to Madara's plans and having said to have clashed many of times during the war, they have a mutual respect for each other and are fairly friendly, with other characters commenting on how close they seem. The enemy part seems to have been all but officially dropped as of Ensemble Stars, as Kuro admits they hang out together sometimes and are good terms. He still denies that theyve gotten close, however.
- Friendship Denial: Denies that he and Madara Mikejima are friends when its brought up, but they are shown to be on good terms and hang out together casually.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: He thinks very little of himself for his actions as a delinquent and during the war and finds it very hard to admit to anything good in himself.
- I Am Not Pretty: He insists that he's ugly and scary and that no girl would want to fangirl over someone like him. Obviously, he has enough fans in-universe and our to prove him wrong.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: He says this word for word to Madara in Revolutionary Live after finding out that Madara has been manipulating Anzu (and Trickstar by extension) for the sake of his revenge against Eichi.
- Missing Mom: His mother passed away before he entered Yumenosaki academy.
- Odd Friendship: Has a good relationship with Madara Mikejima of all characters, even though hell deny that theyve gotten close when confronted about it by Keito.
- Only Sane Man: He and Nazuna are this to their eccentric classmates in 3-B.
- Promotion to Parent: Since his mother died when he was younger and his father became a workaholic to maintain the family finances, Kuro started doing house chores and taking care of his sister.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He sews and also cooks. He also sewed some of the unit costumes for other units.
Keito has an overbearing manner, and he enjoys long conversations. Calm and composed, he acts as the vice-president of the Student Council, and he carries out his job with great efficiency. Supporting the student council president, Eichi Tenshouin, as his right hand man, Keito has a strong influence in the academy.
Born and raised in a Buddhist temple, Keito is childhood friends with Eichi, and they often enjoy drinking tea together. He was friends with third year Rei Sakuma before they entered the academy. He's fair-minded and will never find fault with those who follow the rules, but violators will receive a long sermon from him. He has very sharp ears. The leader of the unit AKATSUKI.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: In his one-star and two-star cards.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Loves giving one. This is apparently because he used to pat Eichi's head a lot as children.
- The Chessmaster: He was the 'scriptwriter' of the war, and the one behind the plan to uplift Eichi by casting the Oddballs as villains. However, while he's great at strategy, he's bad at improvising and gets quickly flustered when things don't go to plan.
- Childhood Friends: With Eichi, as their families have been said to be on good terms with each other, so they've often hung out as kids. This also may or may not explain his Undying Loyalty to him.
- Cold Ham: For all he complains about Wataru being too dramatic he can certainly bring the drama himself in his own way:Yes. You, dove. For you to have defied me...... I will make you regret it forever.
- The Dreaded: To Anzu in his side stories, since Anzu will always try to run away from him if he is ever nearby. This is eventually averted after the 2015 quarrel festival and a sub story revealing his Hidden Depths as a mangaka.
- Expy: He's basically a composite character of Sakura Itou and Mitsuru Yomo from Ensemble Girls. Like Mitsuru, he's the vice-president of the Student Council and childhood friend of the president. Like Sakura, he's strict, upright person dedicated to upholding the rules in the Academy. And both got into trouble with Anzu because of this.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Downplayed, but hes shown to be jealous and paranoid about Madara Mikejima when Kuro is involved. Madara knowing their friendship bothers him teases him about it occasionally, even suggesting that he and Kuro were on a date when they disappeared into town together for a while during the event story.
- Hidden Depths: This serious student council vice president originally wanted to be a mangaka. He dropped this idea and enter Yumenosaki to stay by Eichi's side. He still draws (under a pen name, mostly for the school), and is good enough at it that Eichi claims he would be famous if he had decided to pursue the career; it's unclear what sort of art style he has, but his pen name sounds fairly feminine, his art style influences Anzu's (who's also his big fan) and it apparently doesn't match Akatsuki's image. He's also revealed to have made a doujinshi titled "Wonderland Alice vs Looking-glass Alice" in the Tea Party scout story... one can only imagine.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Though he doesn't like to admit it, Eichi notes that he tends to be soft on his juniors. It's most obvious with Souma, who he sometimes compares to his child, but it can be seen with his Archery club junior Tsukasa sometimes as well, and even in his encouragement of Mao within the Student Council.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Being on the side of the student council (who act as sort-of antagonists in the main story) coupled with his unpleasant personality doesn't give the best first impression. As the player reads on though, they'll learn that he's a simple and upright man dedicated to upholding the rules in the Academy. It helps he looks like the nicer one in comparison when put next to his childhood friend. The tea party gacha also shows that Keito has a soft spot for his juniors.
- Number Two: As the vice president of Yumenosaki's student council, he's Number Two to the student council president, Eichi. His unit, Akatsuki, is also Number Two to Eichi's unit Fine, having been initially formed to protect Eichi as well as being the strongest unit in Yumenosaki only second to Fine.
- Only Friend: To Eichi when they were children - Eichi's wealth but terrible health made him a bitter, selfish brat who nobody really liked, but Keito kept coming to his house as part of his father's job as a Buddhist priest whenever a member of the Tenshouin family died. Soon they were willingly spending time together, and Keito became his sole friend in the world.
- Only Sane Man : Among his classmates in 3-A, which are Izumi, Kaoru, Shu, Chiaki, and Eichi.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Top student, vice president of the Student Council, and leader of the Archery Club.
- Stoic Spectacles: To demonstrate: as a player, you won't have an easy time picking options that'll make his CG smile, even if the answers you give him raise his affection. He's just stoic, to the point he looks irritated, most of the time.
- Undying Loyalty: He abides by Eichi, even when he doesn't know what the other is thinking. On the other hand, the two members of his unit Akatsuki are highly loyal towards him, even when they don't necessarily agree with his devotion to Eichi.
- Unknown Rival: To Wataru who claims Keito as such.
- We Used to Be Friends: He and Rei were friends. They apparently even used to be in the same unit in the past, as confirmed in Repayment festival event. With Keito's position in the student council and Rei on the opposing side, they have evidently drifted apart.
- You Remind Me of X: There's Mao, who reminds Keito of his own self from the past. Then there's also Tori, who reminds Keito of Eichi from when he was younger, which leaves Keito developing a soft side for him even while thinking he can afford to be more useful for the student council.
Serious, rigid, and quick to jump to conclusions—whenever his emotions run high, Souma would attempt to draw the sword he's carrying everywhere, especially at those who are dishonest. His family is of the Kanzaki style and famous in the world of kendo. He honestly admits his mistakes, but it quickly leads to self-blame and rigorous training.
Despite his serious disposition, he joined the Marine Bio Club (one of the most suspicious clubs in the academy) and has great respect for Kanata Shinkai. He doesn't get along with Kaoru Hakaze from the same club, but hits it off with Adonis Otogari, his classmate. A member of the unit AKATSUKI.
- The Ace: It's noted he's an exceptionally talented idol, even managing a solo performance during Repayment Fes with a little help from Kaoru, when the only other student who can manage that is the notorious Madara. Keito tried to keep him from joining Akatsuki in fact, but he passed every entrance exam Keito came up with to deter Souma. Eventually, Kuro convinces him to let Souma join. He's also extremely capable at a wide range of traditional activities, from fencing to calligraphy to flower arranging; unfortunately for him, these talents aren't really considered anything more than cool hobbies to modern day people.
- Adorkable: Though he tries to look like a serious and refined samurai, get him anywhere near some cute sea creatures (especially his pet turtle, Kamegorou) and he goes into immediate Cuteness Proximity mode. One event shows that the same applies to cats - when he comes across a stray, he instantly decides to protect it, and when he hears that Keito has been sending campus stray cats away, tries to hide the cat under his jacket so Keito won't find out, even claiming to Keito that it's totally normal for a growing young man to gain such a huge belly so quickly.
- All of the Other Reindeer: His extended family do not approve of his decision to become an idol. It's also implied that his classmates weren't very friendly during his first year due to his strange behaviour and allegiance with Akatsuki.
- Angry Eyebrows: Wears these in almost all of his cards, even when he's happy, to indicate his Hot-Blooded nature.
- Big Brother Instinct: He has a younger brother, and tends to get along well with the juniors because of that. In particular he explicitly says that Shinobu reminds him of his younger brother and so he tends to treat him the same.
- Blood Knight: Played for Laughs. He has admitted to wanting to cut down a human being with a Japanese sword, and even asked around if he should do so. He's always refused, of course.
- Born in the Wrong Century: His whole family lives as though it were still the Edo era and Souma himself follows all of those rules and norms without question, making him act generally as though he were a real samurai inexplicably time-travelled into the modern day.
- Bridal Carry: Does this to Anzu in Flower Festival and to Keito in Quarrel Festival. In both cases, he fails to ask for consent. Also, in one of the stage plays, he suddenly and unexpectedly leaps into Keito's arms this way, as though it was perfectly normal. Maybe he just really likes bridal carries?
- Butt-Monkey: His odd, impulsive behaviour often leaves him the butt of the joke, being easily teased by the more playful characters and often scolded by Keito and Kanata.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: He's a bit too Literal-Minded and earnest to be good at jokes. In Meikyoushisui he expresses his worries about this, so Subaru and Makoto try to set up a manzai act to give him practice, but even when Makoto sets up an extremely obvious pun for him, he can't deliver the punchline until he's explicitly told which words to say.
- Captain Oblivious: Downplayed as its not one of his defining traits, but he can be pretty oblivious to the things happening around him which can lead to some pretty funny misunderstandings.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Enough to rival many of the oddballs! Apart from constantly acting like a samurai from a few hundred years ago (and unlike Shinobu or Rei, he isn't playing a part, and seems to actually forget at times samurai don't exist anymore), he also has very little common sense and is very bad at reading people, meaning he often waves around his sword and scares people without realising why. And on top of his unusual worldview he can be quite impulsive, making him rather unpredictable. However, he always tries to do the right thing and if anything is too trusting and gullible - he's a very kind guy who wants to protect others, he's just on a completely different wavelength to everyone else.
- Cloud Cuckoo Landers Minder: In a downplayed way - he tries his best to look after Kanata, keeping him from losing himself too much when he goes to lie in the fountain or the like.
- Commonality Connection: In his first year, Kanata showed him a video about turtles that made him immediately fall in love with sea creatures, just as Kanata does. Despite having very different personalities, the two became very close friends as part of the Marine Bio Club.
- Curtains Match the Window: Purple hair and eyes.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Extremely dedicated to both Kanata and Keito, despite the two being on opposite sides of the war.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Depending on the card art where hes drawn more feminine, it wouldnt be hard for someone that hasnt played the game to mistaken him for a woman.
- Expy: Of Tomoko Yuuki from Ensemble Girls. They have the same hairstyle, have dutiful personalities and they carry a sword everywhere. They're also prone to come to conclusions and draw the sword at what they consider "bad people".
- Extreme Doormat: He will put up with anything from his 'masters' and find some way to rationalise it. Even when Kanta physically holds his head underwater so he can't breathe, Souma only politely (if frantically!) requests that he stop, all while praising his wisdom.
- Fell Asleep Standing Up: Souma's bio lists his 'special skill' as an ability to sleep while standing up. In Class Live, he falls asleep while sitting upright, such that Subaru doesn't even realise he's asleep at first, and Adonis has to carry him to bed so he doesn't spend too long in such an awkward position.
- Genre Refugee: Many characters point out that the sword he always carries makes him look like something from an action manga. But though he often speaks about striking people down, he never actually does it.
- The Heart: An unknowing one of Akatsuki, at least at first - it was because of his belief in Keito and Kuro that they started to take being an idol unit seriously, and came to care not only about him but each other as well.
- Heir to the Dojo: He comes from a long line of kendo practitioners and has been learning swordsmanship since a young age.
- Hero Worship: Towards Kanata, of all people, being president of the Marine Biology Club, of which Souma is a member. He also used to actually worship him, believing his claims of being a god/spirit/kami. He also views his seniors in Akatsuki very highly, though he does also question Keito's allegiance to Eichi.
- Hidden Depths: He strives to improve himself because he misunderstands how easygoing Keito and Kuro are with mentoring him, thinking it's because he is useless and incompetent (it's actually the opposite). However, it encourages him to better himself on his own and with the help of others. He's also surprisingly good at picking up on Kanata's emotions, making some insightful comments about what his home life may be like in Wisteria.
- Hopeless with Tech: Since he grew up with very little exposure to technology he struggles to operate anything more complicated than a landline phone and often goes to Makoto for help.
- Hot-Blooded: Although he aims to look dignified, he jumps at conclusions very quickly, and as soon as his emotions run high or he detects someone being dishonest, he'll draw his sword. On the same vein, Souma is fast to apologize and admit his mistakes if he believes he's done wrong, though it soon turns into self-blame more than anything.
- Iconic Item: His sword, which he carries around with him everywhere (even at school, somehow) and which features prominently in many of his cards.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Mostly associated with sea creatures, but gets very attached to a stray cat in one story, and seems to just be fond of animals in general.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Has long bangs and long enough hair to make a ponytail.
- Love Martyr: Even after everything Keito put him through during the war, he still stayed by his side and continued to obey him as a master. His hard work paid off in Akatsuki's HeelFace Turn, but Souma is still worryingly devoted to him and continues to sing his praises as though he never hurt him. Keito himself is genuinely concerned about his dependence but doesn't know how to help him.
- Morality Pet: He allows Keito to demonstrate his softer and more paternal side, and he was directly responsible for Akatsuki's HeelFace Turn.
- Mundane Made Awesome: His tendency to invoke Samurai concepts of duty and honour (usually while swinging his sword around) tend to result in this. In particular, sea creatures aren't just a side hobby for him - no, Kanata taught him the values of the sea, and as such he owes him a staunch debt of gratitude!
- Mr. Fanservice: Despite his innocent personality, he is sometimes the subject of fanservice-laden card art that play up his feminine appearance. Flower Dance Of Apollo◊ is a good example, and is probably one of the spicier outfits a character has been depicted wearing. The outfit◊ appears to almost be see-through, though it doesnt translate to the Live 2 D model.
- No Place for a Warrior: It's usually played for laughs, but his insistence on bringing his sword with him often gives him trouble, and he sometimes remarks that the modern day world is not suited to samurai.
- No Social Skills: Even aside from his unapproachably old-fashioned manners, he's bad at reading other people's facial expressions and body language and can't easily tell jokes. Meikyoushisui reveals that he's aware of all this and is genuinely worried about accidentally being thoughtless, but Natsume assures him that his sincerity and diligence prove that he's a good guy and a good friend.
- Not Good with People: He's awkward at best with other humans but gets along very well with animals, particularly his pet horse and turtle Saigoudon and Kamegorou.
- Odd Friendship: Seems to be developing one with Madara as of the events of Purple Wisteria Of May and Aquarium. He also has one with Kaoru, though its up for debate if he even considers Kaoru a friend at this point.
- Old-School Chivalry: He has a traditional approach to romance and marriage, giving him a gentlemanly manner but also a naivete that can lead to him being easily flustered.
- Punished for Sympathy: He was not happy about Kanata's execution, and delivered a very well-earned "The Reason You Suck" Speech when he realised what was going on. Unfortunately, Keito lashed out very harshly at him right back.
- Samurai: Clearly acts like one, even carrying a sword around with him at all times and standing up against any type of dishonesty. Sometimes he'll go "As a samurai...!" only for Keito or some other to remind him he's actually an idol. While his samurai act often borders on Chuunibyou behavior, there is the justification that he's from a long line of kendo practitioners.
- Samurai Ponytail: He comes from family of kendo practitioners and often acts like a samurai, so naturally his hairstyle extends to this theme as well.
- Suicide as Comedy: Souma is prone to offering to off himself with Seppuku whenever he makes a mistake, but he never actually goes through with it (someone always stops him) and everyone seems to take it like an everyday occurrence.
- Super Gullible: He's bad at reading people, ignorant about the outside world, idealistic to the point of naivete, and not often the brightest bulb on the shelf. Put all together, he tends to immediately trust anything that someone tells him. In Meikyoushisui, he's totally taken in by Natsume's obvious scam efforts, and even when Subaru repeatedly tells him he's being tricked he still can't decide whether or not to trust him.
- Super Strength: Is a lot stronger than he looks; Keito notes that this is probably a result of him constantly swinging around a heavy sword.
- Supreme Chef: He's apparently a great cook. Anzu even says he's better than her in Makoto's Valentines course.
- Those Two Guys: With Adonis. They're classmates in 2-A who are often seen together and get along well.
- Verbal Tic: He speaks very humbly and traditionally, (basically like an old fashioned samurai), and uses uncommon words and phrases. He also uses "de aru" instead of the usual "desu".
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Keito. He even goes as far as confronting Eichi, the person Keito has this towards, to cut him down when he believes Eichi has made Keito suffer.
- Develops a form of this toward Madara Mikejima as of A Dark Nights Passing, after commending him for all hes gone through for the sake of Kanata Shinkai.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: While he looks serious and unforgiving on the surface, he's actually extremely idealistic and always tries to believe the best of people, even after they've hurt him. Multiple characters have expressed real worry that he'll be taken advantage of, which Keito did in fact do during the war, using him to help him hurt Kanata despite Souma's loyalty to him.